8AA playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

8AA playoffs

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am

Class AA - Section 8 Boys Hockey
Moorhead (1) vs Rogers (8) at Moorhead 6:00 PM
Roseau (2) vs St. Cloud (7) at Roseau 6:00 PM
Buffalo (4) vs St. Michael-Albertville (5) at Buffalo 7:00 PM
Brainerd (3) vs Bemidji (6) at Brainerd 7:00 PM

Moorhead will coast. 6-0
St Cloud will give Roseau a decent game but falter in the third 5-2.
Buffalo and St Mikes... hmmm. ****
Brainerd 4-2 with an empty netter... Warriors go in too cocky.

St Mikes lost in OT and then blown out by Buffalo.
StM-A seems to be up and down since the first of the year and Buffalo seems to have it all together.
Smart money is on Buffalo.
But I will take St Mikes in OT.

hky17

Re: 8AA playoffs

Post by hky17 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

truly hope roseau gets back to the tourney, Huglen can probably get them there all by himself in all honesty but I also think they have good goaltending at the right time with Lee. we well find out next wednesday. It's officially the best time of the year ladies and gentleman. :D

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Moorhead by a lot; Roseau by 4; Brainerd by 2; and Buffalo by 3.

hky17

Post by hky17 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:00 pm

game in double ot now, 2-2

hky17

Post by hky17 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 pm

hky17 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:00 pm
game in double ot now, 2-2
rams just ended it wow was that close, best time of the year for a reason.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:09 pm

All around closer than I thought; sounds like the Jacks played a whale of a game.

Moorhead over Buffalo by 2 or 3; and Roseau over Brainerd by 1. Should be two good games.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 am

I wasn't able to make any games tonight due to a work conflict. Any reports from Roseau from either 7 or G n W? How about Brainerd?

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 am
I wasn't able to make any games tonight due to a work conflict. Any reports from Roseau from either 7 or G n W? How about Brainerd?
I wasn’t there either but I talked to my buddy who was in attendance. He said St. Cloud basically copied there exact game plan from last year when they beat Roseau in the playoffs. They’d throw the puck high off the glass and let their skaters beat Rams defenders into their zone.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 am
I thought the first two periods were pretty evenly played. Roseau had more zone time but St Cloud did a good job of limiting chances and then coming back with a few of their own. The third period and both overtimes I thought Roseau outplayed St Cloud pretty bad. They just couldn't seem to get one past the goaltender. This has been a bit of a theme lately as Roseau has out shot and outplayed opponents but struggles scoring (see Crookston).

I would agree that part of St Cloud's game plan was to chip it out instead of use a traditional breakout. They didn't however generate a lot of chances off of it. Seemed like a lot of icings and made for a choppy game. It did seem to frustrate the Rams fore check though. They had a hard time setting up.

I thought the other big factor was that St Cloud stayed out of the box. Roseau has a good power play, but they didn't get a lot of chances to use it. Also, as happens in most playoff games, the refs put their whistles away in the third period and overtime. I am not complaining about that. I think that is to be expected and something that teams have to deal with. It does however benefit the the team that is trying to slow down a star player like Huglen and their power play. The one comment I will make on officiating is that when a kid gets lined up and drilled from behind you still have to call it checking from behind no matter what time of the game it is. A rouging call does not cut it.

St Cloud has a decent team and they seem to match up well with Roseau. They are certainly one of the best 7 seeds that I can remember. They played a lot of close games with other section teams and they are young so I would think they would find a way to flip some of those scores next year.

Going forward Roseau is going to have to figure out how to finish a little better in my opinion. A little puck luck wouldn't hurt either.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:15 am

St. Cloud played a strong game. They never quit. They iced it many times to relieve pressure and they threw it around the glass, hoping for a mistake by a defenseman. Their goalie made some great saves. The Rams are having some trouble scoring, but at some point shots are going to start going in and hopefully that is Saturday. We only gave up 2 goals, one was a power play goal, so defensively not bad. Not giving up a shot on goal through the two overtimes was a testament to the boys not wanting the season to end. We knew it would be a battle and we lived to play another day, can't ask for much more than that! One take away, when it kid is a foot from the boards and is drilled from behind and in the back of the head, that is a textbook easy 5 minute penalty. There was reason rules changed a few years ago and it was hits like the one in OT last night is why. There was no excuse for that to be a two minute rough!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!