New Trophy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Duluthguy

New Trophy

Post by Duluthguy »

From the Star Tribune:

New 'Eveleth Trophy' will go home with anniversary tournament winners: In the spirit of the Stanley Cup, the four winning teams in the girls' and boys' tournaments will be able to take it home with them to their communities this spring and summer.

Full article here, including photo of Willard Ikola with the trophy (as well as Jenny Jannett, who was on Apple Valley's first championship team in 1995):

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... how/996591
Corn Cobb

Re: New Trophy

Post by Corn Cobb »

Now, Hermantown will never move up to AA.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

Corn Cobb wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:13 pm Now, Hermantown will never move up to AA.
That was the first thing I thought :lol:
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

The concept appears to be over-hyped to me, but I never won a state championship. Nice to see Willard looking well!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I guess I don’t get it, every time I walk into John Marshall High School there is a state championship trophy just sitting there for everyone to look at. They never have to give it back, has that changed?
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

goldy313 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:47 pm I guess I don’t get it, every time I walk into John Marshall High School there is a state championship trophy just sitting there for everyone to look at. They never have to give it back, has that changed?
This will be a new traveling trophy with winning teams name engraved. Winning schools also receive the same trophy as the one you mentioned with team picture and all the players' names engraved for their trophy case.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Gov78 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm
goldy313 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:47 pm I guess I don’t get it, every time I walk into John Marshall High School there is a state championship trophy just sitting there for everyone to look at. They never have to give it back, has that changed?
This will be a new traveling trophy with winning teams name engraved. Winning schools also receive the same trophy as the one you mentioned with team picture and all the players' names engraved for their trophy case.
Every year, or just this year to commemorate the 75th and 25th Anniversary celebrations?
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Puckguy19 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 pm
Gov78 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm
Every year, or just this year to commemorate the 75th and 25th Anniversary celebrations?
I believe this will be a traveling trophy every year going forward.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Yeah, this trophy is a bit odd to me. It's better to have the trophy you get to keep.

I'm not sure why but I liked it less when i heard that each team's name would be added to it, and it would grow. We have the Stanley Cup, unique in pro sports for being the only traveling championship trophy. I think this is trying too hard to be something you're not.

Sometimes addition feels more like subtraction.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

They still get a trophy to keep: every team will still get the standard MSHSL trophy.

In addition, there is the new Eveleth trophy