Surprising (or not so) Upsets

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

That guy for that thing

Surprising (or not so) Upsets

Post by That guy for that thing »

I was doing a bit of browsing between phone calls today, and I noticed that there have been 3 6/3 upsets so far. Owatonna, Minneapolis and South St. Paul. There have been a few 5/4 upsets, but I am not to worried about those because, for the most part, they are usually swapable in the standings and in one case *cough cough QRF sucks* should not have been a 4 seed.

What are others thoughts on the 6 seeds making it past the 3 seeds this year.
USA218

Re: Surprising (or not so) Upsets

Post by USA218 »

Just about a huge upset Thursday night. Kittson County played TRF tough and took them to OT. KCC goalie appeared to cover the puck and everyone on the ice quit on the play with the exception of one TRF player....puck was sitting behind goalie and player knocked it in.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Holy Family over Minnetonka certainly jumps to the top of this list now. There were some warning signs; we hyped this one on the podcast some, given Minnetonka's lack of scoring, Bailey Huber in net, and the revenge factor from last season, but none of us pulled the trigger on the pick. Big win for the Fire to avenge that one from a season ago, and show they can deliver even in a year where the team isn't as potent as the past couple. Tonka has to be left wondering how things spiraled the way they did over the last month of the season. And while the Fire are no pushover, I doubt there's much complaining going on in Eden Prairie tonight.

I was also a bit surprised to see Eagan roll past Rosemount, given how well the Irish had played this season. Eagan is a decent team, but we'll see if they have the depth to stick with STA.

The other upsets of interest today happened in Class A, and especially in 3A (where we've got a 3-seed playing a 5-seed), and 5A, where a Chisago team that's on a roll took down two-time defending champion Monticello. That probably costs 5A any outside chance it had at a seeded team.

In the "upsets by seeding only" category, we've got Lakeville South over Hastings and Alexandria over Sartell, both by convincing margins.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Saw the Eagan - Rosemount game as a neutral observer.
It was no fluke. Rosemount could have got a little better goaltending.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Chisago Lakes over Monticello. Did anyone see that one coming?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Mite-dad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 am Chisago Lakes over Monticello. Did anyone see that one coming?
me
HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 »

Mite-dad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 am Chisago Lakes over Monticello. Did anyone see that one coming?
Good thing Monticello dropped Annandale to stay in A.