Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek Award Finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slap Shot

Re: Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek Award Finalists

Post by Slap Shot »

That guy for that thing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am
That guy for that thing wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm I do not want to take anything away from Frits or Glock, but I think it is Boynton's this year. If we look at this as a lifetime achievement, like the YHH podcast team keeps iterating, BB took an 8-14-3 CP team to 17-5-0 with not a whole lot of help defensively.
If it's a lifetime achievement award (and I'm not sure that it is) please note CP finished 2018 at 13-10-2 not 8-14-3. For his career Glockner finished 38-6-4 1.98 and .920 against likely a Top 3 SOS, and 44-7-4 1.96 and .919 for all games played.

There are legit arguments for all three.
He played all 4 years for CP. Not just the last 2. per hockey hub.
Irrelevant to my point. There was never a jump in 9 wins from one season to another as previously claimed and again where is written this is a lifetime achievement award? From what I could find (Since 1994-1995, the annual award is given to the states top goaltender after his namesake) it wouldn't appear to be so. Even if it is 44-7-4 1.96 and .919 vs. 50-40-6 2.59 and .920.

As for "hope" the award should go to the most deserving regardless of feelings.

I will add again there are legit reasons for all 3 to win.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I think Koster probably had more national and international exposure , which the voting group would like, so he may pull it off. But BB has got 75+/- points, took his team to the X, and the family name doesnt hurt. Im hoping he wins it.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm I think Koster probably had more national and international exposure , which the voting group would like, so he may pull it off. But BB has got 75+/- points, took his team to the X, and the family name doesnt hurt. Im hoping he wins it.
I still think Brodzinski wins Mr Hockey. He’s had a phenomenal season, has helped Richels really take off this season, led Blaine to State. Those who determine Mr Hockey award are different from those who determine Metro Player of the Year. For example, in 2015, Dylan Malmquist won Metro Player of Year & Jake Jaremko won Mr Hockey. ☝️
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said 59!

Jake J was stickhandling magician! Not uncommon to see him work his way thru 2 or 3 people after he crossed blue line.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Maybe I’m wrong (not a HS hockey history buff), but it seems like it’s been a while since none of the Mr Hockey candidates really stood out in the state tournament. Koster and Luedtke not in, Donovan knocked out first round, Brodzinski unnoticeable after QF game, Nevers nothing spectacular. Jensen was probably the best and even he struggled to shine after the QF game vs Lakeville south. Not saying any of these young men are undeserving. Just that the award seems to be WIDE open, and there is clearly some incredible depth in MN HS hockey.
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

Mostly agree with you but Jungels would be the other one who had 2 good games and a quiet final.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

DanFromWoodbury wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 am Mostly agree with you but Jungels would be the other one who had 2 good games and a quiet final.
That’s true. Good first game and a half. That might be the best of them all actually.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

It will be either Brodzinski or Koster. The others are fine players and deserving their nomination, but this has been a 2 horse race since around Jan 1st ☝️
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hockey59 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:34 am It will be either Brodzinski or Koster. The others are fine players and deserving their nomination, but this has been a 2 horse race since around Jan 1st ☝️
Brodz or Jensen imo
buttonupyrovercoat

Post by buttonupyrovercoat »

DanFromWoodbury wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 am Mostly agree with you but Jungels would be the other one who had 2 good games and a quiet final.
Quiet final other than digging behind the net, bring the puck round and patiently setting up the game winner in OT?
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

good point. "quiet" was the wrong word. Regardless he had a hell of a tournament.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Brodzinski and Glockner are your winners.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

TheNightman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:04 pm Brodzinski and Glockner are your winners.
Congrats to hometown kid Bryce. It was a treat watching him at Fogarty over the last few seasons. Fun group to watch this year. Glockner seems like a really good kid and while I was on the Champlin bandwagon for brimsek, sounds like he is a great choice.