Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek Award Finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bardown27

Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek Award Finalists

Post by bardown27 »

Mr. Hockey:

Bryce Brodzinski
Grant Docter
Ryder Donovan
Aaron Huglen
Jack Jensen
Jett Jungels
Mike Koster
Josh Luedtke
Mason Nevers
Charlie Schoen

Frank Brimsek:

Brennan Boynton
Ben Fritsinger
Charlie Glockner
elliott70

Re: Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek Award Finalists

Post by elliott70 »

bardown27 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 pm Mr. Hockey:

Bryce Brodzinski
Grant Docter
Ryder Donovan
Aaron Huglen
Jack Jensen
Jett Jungels
Mike Koster
Josh Luedtke
Mason Nevers
Charlie Schoen

Frank Brimsek:

Brennan Boynton
Ben Fritsinger
Charlie Glockner
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Congrats to all, but especially Boynton! Can’t get voted into Elite League but he is voted in as a Brimsek third finalist , ironic!!!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 pm Congrats to all, but especially Boynton! Can’t get voted into Elite League but he is voted in as a Brimsek third finalist , ironic!!!
That’s AWESOME for Boynton and deserved! Talk about a black eye on (at least recently) the EL selection process...how BB didn’t receive an invite to play in the league (forget about even asking him to try out) is a complete TRAVESTY.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

hockey59 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:49 pm
WestMetro wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 pm Congrats to all, but especially Boynton! Can’t get voted into Elite League but he is voted in as a Brimsek third finalist , ironic!!!
That’s AWESOME for Boynton and deserved! Talk about a black eye on (at least recently) the EL selection process...how BB didn’t receive an invite to play in the league (forget about even asking him to try out) is a complete TRAVESTY.
Agree. I thought I heard he was there for the "Sunday tryout", but can't confirm. Regardless, still a head-scratcher.
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

BB & the EL: If i recall correctly I thought BB was bit nicked up in late summer/early fall and then decided to do the 'before & after' for '18-'19.

Hillman went to EL tho...
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

CakeScout17 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 pm BB & the EL: If i recall correctly I thought BB was bit nicked up in late summer/early fall and then decided to do the 'before & after' for '18-'19.

Hillman went to EL tho...
Doing Blades before & after obviously worked great for Boynton...but if kid of his caliber isnt (at least) extended an invite to play in the EL (without a tryout, which a majority of the kids receive) it speaks VOLUMES on how flawed their selection process is...at least for goalies ☝️He’s been the starter at CP for 3-4 years...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hockey59 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:49 pm
The Brodzi boys played with the Blades.. I think there was a boycott after a snub.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Bryce Brodzinski
Grant Docter
Ryder Donovan
Aaron Huglen
Jack Jensen
Jett Jungels
Mike Koster
Josh Luedtke
Mason Nevers
Charlie Schoen

Frank Brimsek:

Brennan Boynton
Ben Fritsinger
Charlie Glockner
After watching a couple of games yesterday, I agree...both BB's should win these awards!
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

InThePipes wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:09 am
elliott70 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Bryce Brodzinski
Grant Docter
Ryder Donovan
Aaron Huglen
Jack Jensen
Jett Jungels
Mike Koster
Josh Luedtke
Mason Nevers
Charlie Schoen

Frank Brimsek:

Brennan Boynton
Ben Fritsinger
Charlie Glockner
After watching a couple of games yesterday, I agree...both BB's should win these awards!
100% agree on both.

BB 22 Blaine
BB 33 Champlin Park

Neither Glockner or Fritzinger saw near the quality of shots that Boynton saw. You don’t have to penalize them, but Andover and Tonka had STELLAR D In front of both goalies. That matters immensely. Boynton carries a (should be mediocre) CP team is/was somewhat relative because of him.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

When you play against the second strongest SOS per PageStat, like Glockner did, you see quality shots every night against the likes of: Edina, Ep, Wayzata, Moorhead, STA, Hermantown, Duluth East, Chaska, WBL, Maple Grove, BSM, Blake, CEC & Andover.

I’m not saying Boynton didn’t, but your comment is way off par and really diminishes the accomplishments of all three nominated goalies.
Play Like a Champion Today
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

blueblood wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am When you play against the second strongest SOS per PageStat, like Glockner did, you see quality shots every night against the likes of: Edina, Ep, Wayzata, Moorhead, STA, Hermantown, Duluth East, Chaska, WBL, Maple Grove, BSM, Blake, CEC & Andover.

I’m not saying Boynton didn’t, but your comment is way off par and really diminishes the accomplishments of all three nominated goalies.
I’ve seen Glockner play a few times and my niece is a goalie that plays D1 hockey. There is nothing meant to diminish what he accomplished. He can be a great goalie at times, but also has his struggles. Did you see him against HF in last years section final? Not that it has anything to do with this years Brimsek award - I just believe BB is a better goalie overall and if I had to choose one MN high school goalie to play with - that’s who I would choose. Doesn’t hurt having Luedke, Doctor, Miller, etc in front of him either. Look at his shot quality and totals faced (when accurate). I wouldn’t say I’m off par at all and I like the kid. Be interesting to see where all three land post high school. BB tendered with Brookings in the NAHL. The other two haven’t said what their plans are.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

612:

You asked if I saw him vs HF last year. The answer is yes, along with every HS game but 1 over the past 2 seasons.

I will ask you if you saw him make the stop on Donovan in the State AA title game last year? Or how about the 2v0 breakaway vs Ep this season, or the breakaway save on Randklev last season in Moorhead, or the dive across an open net vs Hermantown in Hermantown this year. I don’t buy the “more quality shots statement” as it diminshes the teams that BB faced too.

I appreciate the fact you stump for BB. I will go with Glockner and his 3 year stellar career at Minnetonka where he leaves as the MHS all time record holder in Career Wins, Season Wins, Career Saves, & Career Games Played.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

blueblood wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 am 612:

You asked if I saw him vs HF last year. The answer is yes, along with every HS game but 1 over the past 2 seasons.

I will ask you if you saw him make the stop on Donovan in the State AA title game last year? Or how about the 2v0 breakaway vs Ep this season, or the breakaway save on Randklev last season in Moorhead, or the dive across an open net vs Hermantown in Hermantown this year. I don’t buy the “more quality shots statement” as it diminshes the teams that BB faced too.

I appreciate the fact you stump for BB. I will go with Glockner and his 3 year stellar career at Minnetonka where he leaves as the MHS all time record holder in Career Wins, Season Wins, Career Saves, & Career Games Played.
I did see it :wink: I was at the championship game too. I have no issue with Glockner winning it. I just see Boynton as a better goalie. We can agree that both are solid top 3 choices - fair? :)
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

I also will add that I feel Glockner is number two. If my earlier words made it seem like he didn’t belong in the talk, my apologies to the young lad!
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Absolutely agree they are at the top of the class :D
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

All 3 are exceptionally talented goalies, absolutely no doubt about it. I’d be OK with any of these 3 winning the award!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said 59! Will have a good feeling no matter which of these three wins its.

I also noted that during the YHH Podcast this week that Danny thought the next two goalies in line would have been Buffalo Nathan Mueller and Totino Jon Howe, who was Boyntons Blades teammate last fall.
Cougaralumni14

Post by Cougaralumni14 »

Did Glockner steal any games for Minnetonka this year? The team was really solid so I doubt he had to, but I do remember the 3-1 win for Boynton over East where he had some 50 saves. Although competition was inferior for CP in a majority of the games, I think Boynton maintained a plus .900 SP against North Suburban Conference North teams Andover, Maple Grove, and Blaine. Not being a goalie though ice seen all three play, on technical skill I'd go Boynton, Fritzinger, Glockner.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

I do not want to take anything away from Frits or Glock, but I think it is Boynton's this year. If we look at this as a lifetime achievement, like the YHH podcast team keeps iterating, BB took an 8-14-3 CP team to 17-5-0 with not a whole lot of help defensively. Yes, Frits and Glock have stronger SOS but I still think that to turn a program around as BB has, is deserving of a claim to the title of "best goalie" Frits and Glock have gotten in situations where their team falters in front of them, and then things don't go well. I don't see any nights where CP got ran out of a building. The only questionable loss was to AC. Frits had the Blaine game and Glock had the Edina game in Pagel.
between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes »

Cougaralumni14 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:35 pm Did Glockner steal any games for Minnetonka this year? The team was really solid so I doubt he had to, but I do remember the 3-1 win for Boynton over East where he had some 50 saves. Although competition was inferior for CP in a majority of the games, I think Boynton maintained a plus .900 SP against North Suburban Conference North teams Andover, Maple Grove, and Blaine. Not being a goalie though ice seen all three play, on technical skill I'd go Boynton, Fritzinger, Glockner.
Clearly, you're a guy who just looks at the scoresheet. The 4-0 win over EP before hockey day is just one example of what Glockner has done all season. He stole that game, point-blank shot after point-blank shot and a 2-1 backdoor save to keep his team in the game. Although looking at a 4-0 final would indicate the team was once again the reason for his success, even though all 4 goals were during the back half of the third period after Tonka got dominated for the first 50 minutes of the game.

And being a former goalie and seeing all three play, as far as technical skill it's Glockner, Fritzinger, Boynton.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Koster wins metro player of the year.....and the plot thickens.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

That guy for that thing wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm I do not want to take anything away from Frits or Glock, but I think it is Boynton's this year. If we look at this as a lifetime achievement, like the YHH podcast team keeps iterating, BB took an 8-14-3 CP team to 17-5-0 with not a whole lot of help defensively.
If it's a lifetime achievement award (and I'm not sure that it is) please note CP finished 2018 at 13-10-2 not 8-14-3. For his career Glockner finished 38-6-4 1.98 and .920 against likely a Top 3 SOS, and 44-7-4 1.96 and .919 for all games played.

There are legit arguments for all three.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am
That guy for that thing wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm I do not want to take anything away from Frits or Glock, but I think it is Boynton's this year. If we look at this as a lifetime achievement, like the YHH podcast team keeps iterating, BB took an 8-14-3 CP team to 17-5-0 with not a whole lot of help defensively.
If it's a lifetime achievement award (and I'm not sure that it is) please note CP finished 2018 at 13-10-2 not 8-14-3. For his career Glockner finished 38-6-4 1.98 and .920 against likely a Top 3 SOS, and 44-7-4 1.96 and .919 for all games played.

He played all 4 years for CP. Not just the last 2. per hockey hub.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

That guy for that thing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am

He played all 4 years for CP. Not just the last 2. per hockey hub.
That’s correct. While all 3 goalies are exceptional, I hope BB wins the award. I actually ran into him by chance at Lifetime Fitness in Champlin Park and he’s a really nice young man. And he said he was between the pipes for CP in the section QF against Anoka in 2016 ☝️