Duluth East at Andover, Section 7AA Final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

That guy for that thing

Re: Duluth East at Andover, Section 7AA Final

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:53 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Mite-dad wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am
You guys complaining about homefield advantage for DE, check out the unfairness of 6A.
How about 4AA. HM gets to play on the same home ice they play and practice on all year.

Bring back the Friday night double header at the Warner/Rose Coliseum.
I think Friday Night Section Finals would be great. Especially for the out state sections like 8,7,6 and maybe 1. Allows for travel for teams and that way kids won’t miss any school the next day if younger families travel the games.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
You guys complaining about homefield advantage for DE, check out the unfairness of 6A.
How about 4AA. HM gets to play on the same home ice they play and practice on all year.

Although the MAC is home ice for Cathedral, it is a tiny school with a small alumni base and little local following. I’m sure there were more Alexandria fans in attendance last night than SCC supporters.

8A does rotate their venues around, but whomever gets the draw for that particular year gains a huge advantage, and it happened to be EGF last night. I know there aren’t many large venues in that neck of the woods, but perhaps they could play at Bemidji for neutral ice?

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm
BodyShots wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:

Although the MAC is home ice for Cathedral, it is a tiny school with a small alumni base and little local following. I’m sure there were more Alexandria fans in attendance last night than SCC supporters.

8A does rotate their venues around, but whomever gets the draw for that particular year gains a huge advantage, and it happened to be EGF last night. I know there aren’t many large venues in that neck of the woods, but perhaps they could play at Bemidji for neutral ice?
There were plenty of SCC supporters there, plus lots of hockey fans from local communities. Another 1000 seats would be nice at the MAC. I'd hate to have it at the HBHC. That would be too big.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm
BodyShots wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:

I think section 8A are content with the 3 site rotation.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 am
What would happen if they moved the 7AA final to the X? DJ would be happy because it is a better arena and all the northern fans would keep their mouths shut because the game is played on the ice right?

Seriously I always root for northern teams but some of the arguments made for keeping it at Amsoil are just ridiculous. The game should be at a neutral site. In games where the margin of error is razor thin any small advantage can be the difference. To deny that is just not logical and shows clouded judgement.

Also, the game should be about what is fair and equitable to the kids. NOT the best fan experience.

This is from an outsider with no horse in the race. Easy call.

In section 8 if Roseau had to play a section final against Bemidji at Sanford or Moorhead at Scheels Arena I would be disappointed too.
Bottom line is no one has come up with a better option. The arena amenities are nice for the players as well. Also, people can whine all they want, but thankfully no one here has the power to make any changes. So I'll just sit back and enjoy the fact that myself and everyone else that loves Duluth and Amsoil Arena get our way, while all the whiners can get all red faced and spitting mad, complaining about the drive, and I just laugh. #AmsoilForever
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:15 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
What would happen if they moved the 7AA final to the X? DJ would be happy because it is a better arena and all the northern fans would keep their mouths shut because the game is played on the ice right?

Seriously I always root for northern teams but some of the arguments made for keeping it at Amsoil are just ridiculous. The game should be at a neutral site. In games where the margin of error is razor thin any small advantage can be the difference. To deny that is just not logical and shows clouded judgement.

Also, the game should be about what is fair and equitable to the kids. NOT the best fan experience.

In section 8 if Roseau had to play a section final against Bemidji at Sanford or Moorhead at Scheels Arena I would be disappointed too.
BINGO☝️I no longer have a horse in the race either. But at least losing in OT at Coliseum in 2007 and winning at Aldrich in 2016, BOTH TEAMS were playing at a neutral site arena. It’s what they do in the NCAA hockey tourney and 🏀 tourneys, we are not talking Rocket Science! I LMAO how Randolph goes on and on about what a great venue Amsoil is for the “kids”...so is the NHC in St Cloud...but people don’t want to discuss that site...because it’s in St. Cloud, not Duluth😉 And the mad scientist even has some GR folks mesmerized enough to agree with him...just classic :lol: =D>

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 am

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:15 pm
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:

BINGO☝️I no longer have a horse in the race either. But at least losing in OT at Coliseum in 2007 and winning at Aldrich in 2016, BOTH TEAMS were playing at a neutral site arena. It’s what they do in the NCAA hockey tourney and 🏀 tourneys, we are not talking Rocket Science! I LMAO how Randolph goes on and on about what a great venue Amsoil is for the “kids”...so is the NHC in St Cloud...but people don’t want to discuss that site...because it’s in St. Cloud, not Duluth😉 And the mad scientist even has some GR folks mesmerized enough to agree with him...just classic :lol: =D>
NHC is a garbage rink and St. Cloud is an even worse town.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:28 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 am

Tongue in cheek I hope.
:evil:

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 am

I’m so tired of listening to Metro fans complain about having to play East on their “home” ice. Here are a couple of facts.

1. East neither plays games or practices at Amsoil. Just because Amsoil is in Duluth doesn’t make it “home” ice. With that logic Amsoil is home for Denfeld and Hermantown.
2. There are more than one team that actually gets to play either the final or semifinal (which I think are just as important) on their home ice. Hill-Murray, Rochester Lourdes, and St. Cloud Cathedral come to mind. Section 8AA has semifinals on home ice. Brainerd had to take the scenic trip to Roseau this year. Section 8A often has the final on home ice including this year for EGF.

The one time the Metro teams have to do some traveling they whine like a baby wanting a bottle. Suck it up and accept the challenge.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am

I think most Metro TEAMS THAT PLAY at Amsoil, love the Amsoil venue.
Home of the Bulldogs- Next best thing to the X.
Traveling Students/community to be more engaged and make the trip and 'equal' the local fan base.
The only negative is the 2 hour drive if the roads are bad.
Teams that play better, never quit, and have the will to win, deserve to win - regardless of where the game is played
No whining here
(BTW- awesome victory by the Raiders- I know of one Metro family forked out the 9.95, plugged the USB into the big screen and pulled for the Raiders =D> )

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks, appreciate the support for the Raiders. Hoping they keep up their high level of play and pull off a couple of more upsets.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am
Thanks, appreciate the support for the Raiders. Hoping they keep up their high level of play and pull off a couple of more upsets.
Hope they bring the Eveleth Trophy to Coleraine/Bovey!

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am
I think most Metro TEAMS THAT PLAY at Amsoil, love the Amsoil venue.
Home of the Bulldogs- Next best thing to the X.
Traveling Students/community to be more engaged and make the trip and 'equal' the local fan base.
The only negative is the 2 hour drive if the roads are bad.
Teams that play better, never quit, and have the will to win, deserve to win - regardless of where the game is played
No whining here
(BTW- awesome victory by the Raiders- I know of one Metro family forked out the 9.95, plugged the USB into the big screen and pulled for the Raiders =D> )
A few years ago STMA took a tour of the building while in Duluth and those kids were wide eyed and awestruck. A few years back Stadium Journey ranked Amsoil the best sports experience in North America. I’ve traveled to NHL games on the West Coast and while those are fun in their unique way, the overall scope in terms of Arena sightlines, amenities, variety of eating establishments within walking distance, view of Lake Superior, hotels connected via skyway to downtown and the arena, it simply is the best. Sanford Center is a great venue, but Bemidji isn’t exactly a scenic town and there’s nothing noteworthy in walking distance. If the arena had been built downtown I’d give the overall gameday experience a higher rating. Duluth is already a year round vacation destination in the upper midwest with or without hockey. You can’t say that about St. Cloud.

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm

I think it is really unfair that Duluth East has to travel all the way to the twin cities for the state tournament very unfair advantage playing teams that don't have to travel all that way and don't have as many fans because they have to travel all that way and having to play against all the metro teams that get home ice advantage.I think the only fair thing to do is have the state tournament rotated with St. Paul and Duluth or move the tournament to Chicago or LA so it is fair to everyone.I am being sarcastic but this is how ridiculous this topic is.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 pm

HIGHLIGHTS: 2019 7AA Section Final, Andover vs Duluth East
Posted by DECC - Duluth Entertainment Convention Center
Published on Feb 28, 2019
https://youtu.be/1Vh5L1E-5Eo

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Cobber wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm
I think it is really unfair that Duluth East has to travel all the way to the twin cities for the state tournament very unfair advantage playing teams that don't have to travel all that way and don't have as many fans because they have to travel all that way and having to play against all the metro teams that get home ice advantage.I think the only fair thing to do is have the state tournament rotated with St. Paul and Duluth or move the tournament to Chicago or LA so it is fair to everyone.I am being sarcastic but this is how ridiculous this topic is.
Nice post, Cobb. 👍. Agreed 👏
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:47 pm

JerseyDave wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 pm
HIGHLIGHTS: 2019 7AA Section Final, Andover vs Duluth East
Posted by DECC - Duluth Entertainment Convention Center
Published on Feb 28, 2019
https://youtu.be/1Vh5L1E-5Eo
A nice highlight, but the video doesn’t show the biggest goal of the game......the first goal by Ricky Lyle to grab momentum and control of the game.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Cobber wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm
Hey Cobber...all the players on all 8 AA teams attend a banquet on Wednesday Night, so all the outstate players are already in town Wednesday night staying in a Downtown St Paul Hotel. And the players on all metro teams stay overnight in a DT SP hotel (starting Thursday night at the latest) until their team is done playing.That’s TOTALLY Different than getting on a bus around noon and then driving 2.5 hours to Duluth after attending classes in the morning ☝️If you do not get the difference... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8HT324wro. =D>

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:

Lol, you act like going to Duluth in February is like going to Valhalla. I mean, yeah it is better than St. Cloud, but not enough to write about it this much

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm

green4 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 pm
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Lol, you act like going to Duluth in February is like going to Valhalla. I mean, yeah it is better than St. Cloud, but not enough to write about it this much
Beats the heck out of going to Edina I can assure you that.

Pearley

Post by Pearley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Wish there would me more talk about the game and less about where it was played. I think I know how every one feels now about Amsoil now. I’m hungry for hockey talk.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm
green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

x1000. Again people, give me a better place than Amsoil Arena in Duluth. The only arena in Minnesota better would be the X. So any other option is a downgrade, both in arena and city. This is what I want to see when I look out my hotel window on a certain Saturday in February, not St. Cloud :roll:

Courtesy of Karl(East) via twitter

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:35 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm
green4 wrote:

x1000. Again people, give me a better place than Amsoil Arena in Duluth. The only arena in Minnesota better would be the X. So any other option is a downgrade, both in arena and city. This is what I want to see when I look out my hotel window on a certain Saturday in February, not St. Cloud :roll:

Courtesy of Karl(East) via twitter
👍

wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 am

Well Hermantown could go AA and make it a more northern section. (Sorry Flake) then the travel won't be as big of a deal. Oops, did I say that out loud???
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am

Or Duluth Marshall could improve to a top 4 team in 7AA. I’ve heard a rumor that Andover might get moved and replaced with Brainerd. That would make for one hell of a semifinal Saturday. Brainerd is a growing hockey community and has the stability at head coach to be relevant for a long time. They have a good fan base and people there are used to travel to Duluth. There was a good rivalry going in the mid 2000’s with GR and Brainerd, though the Worriers never won then.