Section 3AA Final: (3)Eagan vs (1) St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

deacon

Section 3AA Final: (3)Eagan vs (1) St. Thomas Academy

Post by deacon »

2-28 @ Braemar 7:00

Eagan 18-7-0 vs. St. Thomas Academy 23-3-1

STA 5-1 over East Ridge
STA 5-1 over Eastview

Eagan 6-2 over Jefferson
Eagan 4-2 over Rosemount

STA hasn't lost since Dec. 28, winning 17 games in a row. I think Rob Christy was hurt in the first half of the year and returned around New Year's, possibly being the missing factor. STA appears to be the big favorite but anything can happen in section finals.
gopherpuck516

Re: Section 3AA Final: (3)Eagan vs (1) St. Thomas Academy

Post by gopherpuck516 »

Eagan’s top line can skate, and score, with anyone. But STA’s a much deeper team. With STA having the last change I expect they’ll try to exploit some mis-matches and will come out on top. I like to root for the underdogs, so my heart is with the Wildcats, but my head says 4-1 Cadets.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Pulling for Eagan on this one but yeah, it’s going to be tough but STA has a good history of choking.
hky17

Post by hky17 »

This could get ugly, but ill say 5-1 STA.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

I was more concerned with Rosemount than Eagan, but it's a section final so nothing can be taken for granted.

If the Cadets skate fast and strong they can pull out a good win - superior talent only loses when they don't work as hard.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Not sure why STA never plays Eagan during the regular season. Playing against several of the single A teams in their conference only inflates the skaters stats and doesn't do anything for either team. One can argue STA really hasn't had much competition during their run of 17 consecutive wins.
hky17

Post by hky17 »

Conrad wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:15 pm Not sure why STA never plays Eagan during the regular season. Playing against several of the single A teams in their conference only inflates the skaters stats and doesn't do anything for either team. One can argue STA really hasn't had much competition during their run of 17 consecutive wins.
Especially when they win by two touchdowns playings teams like Henry Sibley and Simely :wink:
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

[quote=Conrad post_id=731645 time=1551208522 user_id=23389]
Not sure why STA never plays Eagan during the regular season. Playing against several of the single A teams in their conference only inflates the skaters stats and doesn't do anything for either team. One can argue STA really hasn't had much competition during their run of 17 consecutive wins.
[/quote]

I hear all the time from 4,5,6 private schools that they can't find any good games. Well pick up the phone and call each other. Can't be that tough

STA, Cretin, Hill, Holy Family, Blake, Holy Angels, BSM and soon to be Totino

If they each played each other once (or twice) they would all have a competitive schedule year in and year out

Personally I think the parents (and coaches) like the easier schedule and just say they wish they could find tougher games
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

Conrad wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:15 pm Not sure why STA never plays Eagan during the regular season. Playing against several of the single A teams in their conference only inflates the skaters stats and doesn't do anything for either team. One can argue STA really hasn't had much competition during their run of 17 consecutive wins.
Not sure if it’ll make any difference, but STA’s Coaches are stepping down after this season. Maybe the new coach will push for a more difficult schedule?

This is in no way a bash on the current coaches. Especially because they eventually brought STA from A to AA. Just something to think about.
deacon

Post by deacon »

STA played:

Minnetonka
Eden Prairie
Eastview
Holy Family
Benilde
Hill x2
Mahtomedi x2
Stillwater
Edina
Prior Lake
Rosemount
Cretin
Lakeville North

Those are all mostly good teams and they went 11-3-1 against them.
Tapinbirdie

Post by Tapinbirdie »

deacon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm STA played:

Minnetonka
Eden Prairie
Eastview
Holy Family
Benilde
Hill x2
Mahtomedi x2
Stillwater
Edina
Prior Lake
Rosemount
Cretin
Lakeville North

Those are all mostly good teams and they went 11-3-1 against them.
Good point Deacon. That is very good competition right there. People get caught up in the weaker part of schedules though. So, the issue really becomes your conference. If your conference isn't deep, even with a strong non-con schedule, you just play too many weak teams. I'm a WB guy, so we are in the same boat as STA on this matter. The SEC is going to pick up Irondale next year. Now you replace two good non-conf opponents with two games against Irondale. I'm sure it makes sense for other sports. IMHO, it might just be time to consider doing away with conferences altogether in HS hockey. Imagine the possibilities? Tournaments with elite teams, more swing trips, home and aways, etc.
Healthy Scratch for Tonight's Game
deacon

Post by deacon »

It's never going to be perfect. You have to learn to live with it otherwise you'll never feel satisfied. If they schedule teams a year two in advance, they could be playing a completely different two years down the road. Example is Lakeville North.

And again, its high school athletics. I wish the hockey teams played more games but they can't. You have to satisfy all sports with conference alignments. STA's non con might be the toughest in the state.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Vega nets for the Cadets.

STAA: 2
Eagan: 0

Halfway through the first.
deacon

Post by deacon »

4-1 STA final

STA got rolling early on major power play on a dangerous hit by an Eagan player, scoring 2 goals. Eagan scored shortly after on a fluke bouncing puck, shifting the momentum a little bit. STA rang one off the back crossbar that was somehow missed by the refs and the guy behind the net. Luckily the blown no goal would end up not mattering. STA skates and possesses the puck really well.