6AA Final — Edina v BSM

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

DadsMoney

6AA Final — Edina v BSM

Post by DadsMoney »

Edina won only matchup of the year very early in season I believe it was 5-2 at Braemar.

Thoughts on rematch??

My impression is Edina’s depth, experience and defensive strength should trump a young, up-and-coming group from BSM.

My prediction:
Edina 4 - BSM 1
hky17

Re: 6AA Final — Edina v BSM

Post by hky17 »

6-1 Edina, BSM will be at the X next year just not their time just yet.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

If I recall that first game, it was all Edina in the first period and BSM played them close after that. And that was before the BSM youngsters had really gotten their game mojo and confidence.

BSM may be the most improved team this year and has surprised a lot of people.

The other thing about this game, it likely is a preview of next years 6AA final also, which the kids will think about. At that point BSM will likely be the favorite IMHO.

Of course, our friend MinnScout told us all this at beginning of the season, if we'd only listened to him! Well done!
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm If I recall that first game, it was all Edina in the first period and BSM played them close after that. And that was before the BSM youngsters had really gotten their game mojo and confidence.

BSM may be the most improved team this year and has surprised a lot of people.

The other thing about this game, it likely is a preview of next years 6AA final also, which the kids will think about. At that point BSM will likely be the favorite IMHO.

Of course, our friend MinnScout told us all this at beginning of the season, if we'd only listened to him! Well done!
BSM should make it again next year but I'm not sure Edina does. Could be BSM/Blake.
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

Tough one. On paper, the talent and experience should prevail for Edina. BSM young and will have solid 2-year run starting next year at the Sections, if not at state. Edina, Mtka and EP will all be down a bit over next 2 years. So its BSM's time to take over the Metro (same for Blake one could argue)...is it BSM's time this year tho? I don't think so. But...

But thats all based 'on paper'. BSM not only improved as season went along but they also got tougher, good forecheck and they can skate.
The Edina defensive depth and talent should wear BSM down by middle 3rd period. But look at HF/Mtka...wow! So, anything is possible. IF Edina just shows up and thinks about return trip to the X - they can easily get upset...Although Edina's last 3 games, all victories, tallied up to 16-4 scoring - there's just something missing. I will try to avoid the cliches I spew out ad nauseam but I'll roll with 'tenacity'...they show flashes of it to be sure, but at this stage of sections and onward to state? You have to bring that mentality from puck drop and never stop. Play quick, not fast. Tenacious, but smart. Theres some standing around on D at times and a given of minimum 2 lazy penalties taken each game. Got to clean that up.

If Edina tidy's up mentally and maybe Oh I dont know - ATTACKS THE MIDDLE of the ice FOR ONCE developing a true net front presence throughout an entire game they will win state, let alone Wed sectional...if they dont? BSM may just start their rise a March early!

Hunch: Edina can't get out of their way mentally and gives up the 1st goal. They may even be down 2-1 at end of 1. And then they rise up from the table wiping the humble pie off their mugs and play like HORNETS!

Edina 4
BSM 2

In a game thats closer than the score to be sure.

State prediction: I have it at the ready, but lets let the eggs hatch first before we start counting...
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

CakeScout, excellent analysis as usual ! Hornets fortunate peaking at right time and no signif injuries . Plus secret weapon by name of Kevin Delaney

Nightman, very impressed with Blake this year , they skated Andover close and definitely had Cretins number . Enough depth to get to final next year?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Prediction: Edina 6-2 to make their last state appearance for a few years. Wide sheet doesn't hurt the Hornets.

Benilde is an early pick for next year's favorite to win state and Blake could be a Top 5 team.

Very interested in seeing if these private schools add. Some Bantams from Edina, Eden Prairie and other communities in the Southwest suburbs could make an immediate impact.
Be kind. Rewind.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

O-townClown wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 pm Prediction: Edina 6-2 to make their last state appearance for a few years. Wide sheet doesn't hurt the Hornets.

Benilde is an early pick for next year's favorite to win state and Blake could be a Top 5 team.

Very interested in seeing if these private schools add. Some Bantams from Edina, Eden Prairie and other communities in the Southwest suburbs could make an immediate impact.
I have only heard of one confirmed 8th grade kid from Edina (younger sibling) attending BSM. There is one kid from Wayzata BA already at BSM (9th grader) but haven't heard of any top end 8th graders heading there. Possibly one A/C 8th grader headed there. Do you or CakeScout know anything further.
Fanfromafar

Post by Fanfromafar »

Any chance there is a live stream, of even just the audio, of this game?
DadsMoney

Post by DadsMoney »

Pretty sure it will be streamed on mnhockey.tv
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Fanfromafar wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:26 am Any chance there is a live stream, of even just the audio, of this game?
Yes, mnhockey.tv will have the audio stream for those that can’t make it to Mariucci, per bottom of this article: https://www.mnhockey.tv/news/eden-prair ... -2aa-final
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I would rather see Edina than BSM but have a feeling Benilde pulls off the upset here in a low scoring OT game.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Cheering for Edina (in sections).
State tourney does not feel right without Edina there to boo against (sorry otownclown).
Fanfromafar

Post by Fanfromafar »

DadsMoney wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am Pretty sure it will be streamed on mnhockey.tv
I contacted MNHockey.tv at the end of the regular season and throughout the Sectionals wondering why there were no games being advertised as available on live stream, and discovered the administrators of 6AA voted against allowing any streaming of their Sectional games. They believe that it cuts into the attendance. I don't live in MN, so I can't speak to the accuracy of that assertion. However, there are lots of us from outside the area that would watch--even pay-per-view--if the games were streamed. MNHockey.tv emailed me today and said they were hoping to work out a deal to stream the BSM-Edina game on Wednesday, but nothing is certain. The 2AA game is already scheduled to be streamed.
between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes »

I'm going Edina 6-2 and all the way to finals with a likely repeat over Blaine. The only thing that may hurt the Hornets is inexperienced goaltending. Hogg showed excellent control in both Tonka games, which were arguably the biggest games on the Hornets regular season schedule. If he plays like he did against Tonka, Hornets will be tough to knock off.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Fanfromafar wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:22 pm
DadsMoney wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am Pretty sure it will be streamed on mnhockey.tv
I contacted MNHockey.tv at the end of the regular season and throughout the Sectionals wondering why there were no games being advertised as available on live stream, and discovered the administrators of 6AA voted against allowing any streaming of their Sectional games. They believe that it cuts into the attendance. I don't live in MN, so I can't speak to the accuracy of that assertion. However, there are lots of us from outside the area that would watch--even pay-per-view--if the games were streamed. MNHockey.tv emailed me today and said they were hoping to work out a deal to stream the BSM-Edina game on Wednesday, but nothing is certain. The 2AA game is already scheduled to be streamed.
There will be an audio-only broadcast of the 6AA final in addition to the 2AA Final at mnhockey.tv.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

O-townClown wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 pm Prediction: Edina 6-2 to make their last state appearance for a few years. Wide sheet doesn't hurt the Hornets.

Of the "young" teams I have seen this winter Maple Grove would be my pick for next year's frontrunner. I went to three games last Saturday at three different arenas and the best player I saw was a 9th grader on the Maple Grove team.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Of the "young" teams I have seen this winter Maple Grove would be my pick for next year's frontrunner. I went to three games last Saturday at three different arenas and the best player I saw was a 9th grader on the Maple Grove team.
I went to first game of season-Turkey Trot between Wayzata and Grove and walked away with same thought. Best guy on ice that night was playing his first varsity game. GB
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

On paper the Hornets should win this one comfortably, though for some reason I keep flashing back to 2012, when Benilde blitzed favored Minnetonka 5-1 at Mariucci. Granted, this Benilde team has a distinct lack of Grant Besses, but I think the game plan is much the same: stay organized, and try to spring things in transition. If they have any chance at an upset, it comes from that old Ken Pauly formula. The Hornets really just need to protect their goalie and let their star players up front do their thing. If the defensemen just jumping into the rush too much, they'll be vulnerable.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Karl: I think a big difference between that 2012 game & this year's is that Benilde team was a much better skating team than Minnetonka. That Minnetonka team was more of a grind it, play along the boards & use their strength. The bigger ice sheet definitely played to Benilde's advantage. Also, I think Quale, BSM's goalie that year, was very underrated & doesn't get enough credit for their title run. I remember watching that game & that was no fluke; BSM was a better team, particularly on the bigger ice.

This year's Edina team is a much better skating team that that year's Minnetonka team.

Not that 10 years ago has anything to do with this year's game, but since 2007, Edina is 10-1 in section finals at Mariucci. There are three keys I feel to beating Edina at Mariucci: 1) Scoring early & getting an early lead, 2) an awesome goaltending performance, and 3) Edina taking penalties.

Then again, they are high school kids, and Edina has a sophomore at the most important position; a sophomore that is expected to win. So, anything can happen. It wouldn't be the miracle on ice, but I have a hard time seeing Edina losing to Benilde. 4-2/5-2/6-2, with one of those being an empty netter.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

thefatcat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am

I have only heard of one confirmed 8th grade kid from Edina (younger sibling) attending BSM. There is one kid from Wayzata BA already at BSM (9th grader) but haven't heard of any top end 8th graders heading there. Possibly one A/C 8th grader headed there. Do you or CakeScout know anything further.
There will be more. Also remember they only have 2 seniors.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IkTDqozyE8

CCX Media: BSM Boys Hockey Ready for Edina in 6AA Final
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

GoldenBear wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 pm

I went to first game of season-Turkey Trot between Wayzata and Grove and walked away with same thought. Best guy on ice that night was playing his first varsity game. GB
From what I hear all those talented kids at Maple Grove are headed to Team USA which would follow suite to about the past 10 Maple Grove HS teams.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I know Edina is the heavy favorite here and I expect two uneven games tonight at Mariucci but for some reason I feel that BSM is going to pull an upset. They’ve surprised me this year.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

minnscout wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 am
thefatcat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am

There will be more. Also remember they only have 2 seniors.
Yes, that would be my assumption. I'm asking if you know who and if you cannot say names, what city are they coming from?