2AA Final - Eden Prairie vs. Holy Family

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ryguyMN

2AA Final - Eden Prairie vs. Holy Family

Post by ryguyMN » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Discussion thread for Section 2AA Final - (3) Eden Prairie vs. (5) Holy Family, 6pm at Mariucci Arena

First meeting between the two teams this year.

Live audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht3Ne_O8cKM
Last edited by ryguyMN on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

StanleyCup55

Re: 2AA Final - Eden Prairie vs. Holy Family

Post by StanleyCup55 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:02 pm

I’d say EP takes this one. I kind of forgot about HF this year since they had didn’t really beat any top teams but they are a solid HS team. They can definitely play with anyone and proved they can beat anyone last weekend. HF could be dangerous if they get hot but I see EP stopping them. It will be a good game but think EP wins it 5-2.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm

ditto

hky17

Post by hky17 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:48 pm

EP is the deeper team and Jack Jensen and company are on a mission, all do respect to the fire but I think the eagles will prevail just like they did 2 years ago. Prediction 4-1 EP

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm

I'd guess EP will win something like 5-2.

I'd rather see new blood...

Cougaralumni14

Post by Cougaralumni14 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:26 pm

I see it as Jensen and the Mittlestadt brothers vs. Pino and Huber. That Eagles power play is pretty dangerous with those three out there, so if the Fire keep out of the box they have a chance. Huber will still have to steal the game and have Pinoniemi work his magic on offense. I think it's going to be 5-2 EP, 2 power play goals for the Eagles and a shot count of around 35-20 in favor of the Eagles.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Well, on the odds, EP has got this game. But no one has more momentum , and less to lose, that the Fire right now.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Well, on the odds, EP has got this game. But no one has more momentum , and less to lose, that the Fire right now.
I think it will be a close game. Last time a 3 seed CRUSHED a 2 seed and a 4/5 seed upset a (top 3 in State) 1 seed...was in 2016 Section 5AA. 😉 I think Holy Family will have a game plan to frustrate EP and keep it low scoring & tight. Will it be enough, who knows, but it should be an entertaining game!

between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm

I think EP is going to roll right through HF. It won't even be close. Difference between EP and Tonka offense is EP actually has guys who can put it in the back of the net. I wish the Fire luck but just don't see it happening. Especially on the larger sheet of ice.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 pm

between_the_pipes wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm
I think EP is going to roll right through HF. It won't even be close. Difference between EP and Tonka offense is EP actually has guys who can put it in the back of the net. I wish the Fire luck but just don't see it happening. Especially on the larger sheet of ice.
I mean, I saw Tonka play Edina tooth & nail to the bitter end...and 5 days later...Edina nearly put EP on running time, so there’s that ☝️The Family will be a tough out!

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:23 am

between_the_pipes wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm
Love it. Great take, Tonka, EP makes no difference. Y'all know nothing about HF.. keep fueling the fire baby :)

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:24 am

EP has been hot and cold but when they put it altogether they are very dangerous and have a veteran lineup. Where they seem to struggle is in net at least with Rosenlund. They have a decent PP but a very pedestrian PK although without looking I don't think the whistles come out too often in section finals games. HF had better PP and PK but the 31st SOS vs. EP's #1 SOS. HF caught a Tonka team that hasn't played it's best hockey since around HDM and I don't see them striking lightning twice against the Eagles.

EP 5 (EN)
HF 2

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:01 am

Any significant injuries for either team in this game or are both teams pretty healthy?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:18 pm

As others have said, the Eagles are the deeper team, and certainly had the superior regular season. I'd stack their forward corps up against any in the state. The issues are in back, where they aren't particularly deep, and have let a few games get away from them after otherwise playing well. As with the Minnetonka game, the longer the Fire stick around, the more I like the chance of an upset. They have the goalie to do it. I expect Lee Smith will try to match the Rudrud/Smith line with Pinoniemi's line to try to keep that group in check--this is one final where the last change may make a real difference. EP's PK also wasn't very good, so staying out of the box (an occasional issue for them) is also important.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:49 am

EP should roll in this one but goaltending could make this closer then it should be. Prior Lake and Tonka both out played HF and lost. EP's weakness is between the pipes and HF's strength is their goalie.

Trout

Post by Trout » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 am

I have watched HF in all of their last 3 games. Stillwater, Prior Lake and Minnetonka all controlled more of the puck play during the game but lost due to Huber outplaying each of his counterparts. IMO - EP has weaker tending than each of the above mentioned 3 teams so this will be very very interesting. HF seems to be playing possum and hoping for the odd man rush after packing it in / blocking shots or sending a forward behind the D.

Could be a huge shot differential but the scoreboard may be flipped. If I were betting I would go with EP but could be the RED HOT goalie syndrome (on Fire so to speak) that could put HF in the state tourney for the first time (with the weakest team they have had when compared to the past several years).

OldGopherFan

Post by OldGopherFan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 am

I went to both 2AA section games. I had already seen all the teams except HF this year. My opinion was that EP was the best team I saw that day. They were doing all the little things right, including limiting the shots to areas and opportunities that their keeper could handle. In the Tonka game, the HF defense did a great job making things relatively easy for Huber. They shut down the entire center of the ice once Tonka was in their zone. Huber is good enough to save all the routine shots and steal some that should go in. That could be a difference maker in this game. I just don't believe that HF will be able to stifle the EP forwards the way they did to Tonka. I will pick EP because of what I have seen from them but it should be tighter than people might think.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Eden Prairie defeats Holy Family, 3-1 (ENG), to advance to the state tourney.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:34 am

Family played the game they needed to play to pull off the upset. Tight checking, good goal tending and advantageous on pp. The save in the first by Family Keeper was a beautiful sight. Family's power play was very good, possession in zone with good looks. Got one pp goal just needed another pp opportunity. Almost tied it up in the end. They have a young team and are in a good position for next year if Noel can buy another goalie. Fun game to watch. GB

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 am

The line of Rudrud, Holt and Batchelder was dominant in their matchup. Holt's goal was a carbon copy of the goal he scored on Saturday.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Holt is a great sniper, and one of quickest puck releases of anyone. Will pile up big points in the next couple years. A D1 candidate somewhere, ultimately.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Fantastic Soph season for Drew Holt. Someone had suggested earlier in the year, that he had peaked at Bantams. Both sophs Holt and Mittlestadt have really stepped up their game especially since playoffs have started. They have a chip and a chair And Captain Jack. Mr. Hockey in my opinion.