Greenway/Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: Greenway/Hermantown

Post by kniven »

HawkAA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am
Dog wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm
HawkAA wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm Hermantown is a great place to live. Kids go to Hermantown because their parents value a small town like school vs East or Denfeld that graduate 600+ kids per yr...We moved here from East Duluth 5.5 yrs ago, not for hockey (neither kid played when we moved, both my play now, so I'm guessing when they play varsity they will be considered a transfer in some people's eyes LOL). If any one of you took the time to talk to Hermantown parents that moved here for work, they will tell you the similiar/same thing or if they open enroll. I have spoke to them, friends w many....Ask Scott Sandlin why he moved here vs East, cuz he looked into buying a home in East Duluth when he moved here, he will say a friend had a house in Hermantown he liked and preferred the small school. Hermantown is a package: a great small type school among 2 huge schools (East, Denfeld) with a great hockey program...as a parent what would you choose for your kids?...I coach 2 youth hockey teams and the parents are great, coaching is great, rink staff is great and the Haha board is great. I am one that thinks we should move up to AA, why do I stay in Hermantown: small school a d everything else noted above. Pionk thinks we should play AA, his kid plays for Hermantown, why doesnt his kid open enroll to East if AA if its so important? Small school and everything else noted above. So, my point is if Hermantown goes AA kids will still come here for the small school and in my opinion more "transfers" would want to come here since we would be. AA. I want our program better, it's great already but theres always room for improvement, we need a shot in the arm per se. At the end of the day most parents will want their kids to go to a small school. Dont believe me? Dig into school life at Denfeld or East, you'll have your answer. BTW before someone asks about Proctor, Proctor is Proctor and nearly every parent there works in Duluth...Just like Hermantown.
You knocked Denfeld twice now so I'm going to reply. I've had 2 kids go to Denfeld and I can say that the "reputation" is just that, a "reputation". Are there some incidents? Sure. But there's plenty that happens at HT HS that, of course, doesn't get reported. There was an incident a few years ago that should have resulted in very serious charges and incidentally involved a hockey player, who had to leave early but you never saw anything about it in print. A kid farts at Denfeld and it smells like pot and it's all over social media, news, etc. There was an incident at Denfeld a few years back where somebody wrote the N word in sharpie in a bathroom stall. Disgusting. You may have heard of it as it was reported in the paper FOR WEEKS. What you never heard was that a student of color confessed to the incident. Despite that incident, I'm proud of the friendships and commorodity between kids of all different backgrounds and races that I've witnessed at Denfeld over the years.

There are at least 2 kids that I know of from Denfeld this year that are going to Ivy league schools. That's just the people I know. The Greater Denfeld Foundation scholarship fund is the largest in the nation and gives out between $2.8 - $3.5 million a year, EVERY YEAR. I know of people who have recieved full rides from this and a relative of mine recieves $25k a year just from these scholarships. You never see any if this in print in town and this endowment will grow and last, the way it is set up, perpetually.

No matter what school you send your kids to, public or private, there are going to be a group of kids who are trouble. It's your job as a parent to keep them centered and away from trouble. If you rely on the school and don't monitor them, your kid will have more of a likelihood to get in trouble.

I know of people who send their kids to Denfeld that have gone to some of the best college preparatory schools, are doctors, etc and they're very happy with Denfeld and know their kids are getting a great education. My daughter earned college credits from Denfeld that knocked a year off of college for her at a really expensive school so I'm grateful for what Denfeld did for her besides the monetary help. Just like many things in life, it's all in what you, yourself put into it.

I wouldn't want to send my kid to a school that promotes the thought that they're better than everyone else. I went to a fairly prominent school and never heard that type of sentiment at it. It's a terrible thing to teach your kids if you want them to relate to people when their life on their own starts. This type of sentiment above and with HT parents on social media of "Thank God we don't live there or send our kids there" is quite prevalent.. snooty and annoying.

Sorry bud...my point was when people move to town and kids play hockey...Denfeld isn't on the radar and it has a reputation. I didnt create its reputation, I told people to Google what school life is at East and Denfeld, I personally didnt go to either. people like htown because it's a small school. I never said its perfect...
Scot Pionk.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

HawkAA wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm Hermantown is a great place to live. Kids go to Hermantown because their parents value a small town like school vs East or Denfeld that graduate 600+ kids per yr...We moved here from East Duluth 5.5 yrs ago, not for hockey (neither kid played when we moved, both my play now, so I'm guessing when they play varsity they will be considered a transfer in some people's eyes LOL). If any one of you took the time to talk to Hermantown parents that moved here for work, they will tell you the similiar/same thing or if they open enroll. I have spoke to them, friends w many....Ask Scott Sandlin why he moved here vs East, cuz he looked into buying a home in East Duluth when he moved here, he will say a friend had a house in Hermantown he liked and preferred the small school. Hermantown is a package: a great small type school among 2 huge schools (East, Denfeld) with a great hockey program...as a parent what would you choose for your kids?...I coach 2 youth hockey teams and the parents are great, coaching is great, rink staff is great and the Haha board is great. I am one that thinks we should move up to AA, why do I stay in Hermantown: small school a d everything else noted above. Pionk thinks we should play AA, his kid plays for Hermantown, why doesnt his kid open enroll to East if AA if its so important? Small school and everything else noted above. So, my point is if Hermantown goes AA kids will still come here for the small school and in my opinion more "transfers" would want to come here since we would be. AA. I want our program better, it's great already but theres always room for improvement, we need a shot in the arm per se. At the end of the day most parents will want their kids to go to a small school. Dont believe me? Dig into school life at Denfeld or East, you'll have your answer. BTW before someone asks about Proctor, Proctor is Proctor and nearly every parent there works in Duluth...Just like Hermantown.
You knocked Denfeld twice now so I'm going to reply. I've had 2 kids go to Denfeld and I can say that the "reputation" is just that, a "reputation". Are there some incidents? Sure. But there's plenty that happens at HT HS that, of course, doesn't get reported. There was an incident a few years ago that should have resulted in very serious charges and incidentally involved a hockey player, who had to leave early but you never saw anything about it in print. A kid farts at Denfeld and it smells like pot and it's all over social media, news, etc. There was an incident at Denfeld a few years back where somebody wrote the N word in sharpie in a bathroom stall. Disgusting. You may have heard of it as it was reported in the paper FOR WEEKS. What you never heard was that a student of color confessed to the incident. Despite that incident, I'm proud of the friendships and commorodity between kids of all different backgrounds and races that I've witnessed at Denfeld over the years.

There are at least 2 kids that I know of from Denfeld this year that are going to Ivy league schools. That's just the people I know. The Greater Denfeld Foundation scholarship fund is the largest in the nation and gives out between $2.8 - $3.5 million a year, EVERY YEAR. I know of people who have recieved full rides from this and a relative of mine recieves $25k a year just from these scholarships. You never see any if this in print in town and this endowment will grow and last, the way it is set up, perpetually.

No matter what school you send your kids to, public or private, there are going to be a group of kids who are trouble. It's your job as a parent to keep them centered and away from trouble. If you rely on the school and don't monitor them, your kid will have more of a likelihood to get in trouble.

I know of people who send their kids to Denfeld that have gone to some of the best college preparatory schools, are doctors, etc and they're very happy with Denfeld and know their kids are getting a great education. My daughter earned college credits from Denfeld that knocked a year off of college for her at a really expensive school so I'm grateful for what Denfeld did for her besides the monetary help. Just like many things in life, it's all in what you, yourself put into it.

I wouldn't want to send my kid to a school that promotes the thought that they're better than everyone else. I went to a fairly prominent school and never heard that type of sentiment at it. It's a terrible thing to teach your kids if you want them to relate to people when their life on their own starts. This type of sentiment above and with HT parents on social media of "Thank God we don't live there or send our kids there" is quite prevalent.. snooty and annoying.
I don’t blame Dog one bit for speaking out & enlightening people about some of the POSITIVE aspects of attending Duluth Denfeld HS. I grew up in the 1970’s in Superior & Denfeld was a big rival, especially in Football & Hockey. Anyone who grew up in the area knows that if you wanted to build a home in the Twin Ports during the 1990’s and 2000’s and likely to this day...not a lot of options on the east side (especially not reasonably priced lots) or in Duluth proper (in general). Accordingly, people didn’t just start building acreage size lots in Hermantown SD (or Procter SD) by accident, it’s where available land was located at fairly reasonable prices & close enough to DT Duluth where commutes were easy for work. We as parents make choices and location is a critical choice when raising kids. But, reputation aside (which parents factor in, no doubt, be it good or bad) if a student is dedicated academically & athletically to excellence & understands that who they choose for friends will factor positively or negativily into things too...I’d argue they have the opportunity to excel positively at any of the 5 school districts I mentioned earlier, all public schools. The school parents choose matters, but the STUDENT, their skills, their abilities their character, who attend these schools...matter much MORE. ☝️
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

hockey59 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:46 pm

The STUDENT, their skills, their abilities their character, who attend these schools...matter much MORE. ☝️
Absolutely correct, couldn't agree more. Move them or spend the money for private if it makes you feel good, but the kids will determine where they go in life. Parents have changed a lot in the last generation. Mike Sertich said it best.

"Parents used to prepare kids for the path in life. Now, they try to prepare the path for the kids instead."

It doesn't work that way.
HawkAA

Post by HawkAA »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:11 pm

The STUDENT, their skills, their abilities their character, who attend these schools...matter much MORE. ☝️
Absolutely correct, couldn't agree more. Move them or spend the money for private if it makes you feel good, but the kids will determine where they go in life. Parents have changed a lot in the last generation. Mike Sertich said it best.

"Parents used to prepare kids for the path in life. Now, they try to prepare the path for the kids instead."

Oooof....I never said Denfeld sucked nor did I say Hermantown was the best...I said when people move to town and they want a small school w a good hockey program, in my opinion many choose Hermantown for those reasons...and it's a good school as well. I learned some good info from your posts though. FYI most people that live in Hermantown are not Snooty nor are they monetarily wealthy, there is some money as with other communities. So, my intent was not to say Denfeld kids are at a disadvantage by living there...I moved to E Duluth in 2007, didnt know much about any of the schools but the Realtor (never did bad mouth west duluth)and many people I worked with said the best options were East, Hermantown and Esko. Hermantown was to spendy at the time, Lakeside was perfect. But when they shut down Rockridge and combined schools and closed Central we moved to Hermantown. Just like a lot of people in Peidmont.
We planned on moving before the oldest got to middle school to a smaller school, neither kid played hockey at the time, both play now.
Dog

Post by Dog »

HawkAA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:50 pm
Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Oooof....I never said Denfeld sucked nor did I say Hermantown was the best...I said when people move to town and they want a small school w a good hockey program, in my opinion many choose Hermantown for those reasons...and it's a good school as well. I learned some good info from your posts though. FYI most people that live in Hermantown are not Snooty nor are they monetarily wealthy, there is some money as with other communities. So, my intent was not to say Denfeld kids are at a disadvantage by living there...I moved to E Duluth in 2007, didnt know much about any of the schools but the Realtor (never did bad mouth west duluth)and many people I worked with said the best options were East, Hermantown and Esko. Hermantown was to spendy at the time, Lakeside was perfect. But when they shut down Rockridge and combined schools and closed Central we moved to Hermantown. Just like a lot of people in Peidmont.
We planned on moving before the oldest got to middle school to a smaller school, neither kid played hockey at the time, both play now.
Ok, I'll take you for your word on your intent. The comment "Dig into school life at Denfeld or East, you'll have your answer", etc I took as a dig. There's no question, like the twin cities, the "new and better" neighborhoods in the area with more land, etc are largely considered to be in the Esko and HT areas.

The Denfeld bantam A's made it to state today. Most first year bantams on that team have been to state 3 straight years and the 2nd years, 3 of 4. If you haven't seen them, man, they are fun to watch! They have played all the teams at state this year and have a 6-2 record against them so hopefully that translates into success at state. I'm excited to see what Jago, Johnson and Geris will do with these boys in HS and how they'll develop!

Denfeld had been down for a number of years. I had a previous post listing what has been done to improve the program. Without repeating the past post, the theory Denfeld runs on is that with small numbers we have to develop every kid, whether they happen to be on the A or B team so that they'll contribute in a meaningful way when they get to HS. We dropped of this year in pw's (like most "A" programs do from time to time) but I think the pw's will be much better next year.
I believe the local teams (Range, "Twin Ports area") that made it to state are:
Duluth Jr Gold, East PWAA, Denfeld BA and Ely PWB (happy for that program).
Good luck to the all of these teams at state!