Greenway/Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pekyman

Re: Greenway/Hermantown

Post by pekyman »

hockey59 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:18 pm I did have Greenway ranked #9 at the end of the regular season.
So I hope that does not work against them.
ANY TEAM capable of beating HERMANTOWN is capable of winning the AA State Title ☝️💰
:lol:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said NWOT!

By hockey gods, I was of course referring to you, Ranier , Warriors 41, and all the other pre-Hermantown era faithful!
Dog

Post by Dog »

[/quote]

Hermantown Defense NEVER pinch, EVER. Clafton did a great job breaking out high creating multiple (like 15) odd man rushes..why Htown didnt start pinching is beyond me, it would have shut GW down in a lot of ways. Htown always plays the same game...works most of the time but last night, State last year, Section Finals last year and state 2017 if an opponent watches some Htown tape it's easy to see. Back checking is what lost this game for Hermantown but in #27 defense, they were exhausted, anytime #1 line was on ice GW controlled the puck in Hermantown zone 3rd period and both overtimes. Greenway had the WILL to win this game and deserved the win. Hermantown outshot GW but GW had better chances in my opinion. Multiple times GW goalie popped out a rebound laying infront of open net and no Htown player was there. I hope for the sake of our program we go AA, we need a shot in the arm. I think the program has gotten complacent and going AA would give us the energy to become better. Congrats to GW...Congrats to Htown for a wonderful season. Hopefully #27 stays around next yr, so much fun to watch! Kudos to Manahan, he kept the game going longer than it should have. Now let's root for a Hounds win tonight!
[/quote]

Classy statement with oodles of truth and soul searching. There may be a few (or hopefully more) HT folks who follow your thought but there will probably be a larger chorus of the "see, we don't belong in AA" crowd. I don't see HT moving up in 2 years but who knows. The ironic thing is that their change the next 2 years would've probably been very good to make it to state in 7AA provided everyone stays at HT. (I still think they would've made it to the AA tourney 2 of the last 3 years as well)

I think you're right on the complacency point. A friend of mine said that the HT kids know that they're better than most of the A competition especially since they play AA in youth and most of the HS schedule and just know so it's hard to get up for these games. The best part of a northern team moving up to AA in section 7 is that it would knock one or both (Andover / Elk River) out of the section and basically ensuring a northern team to state! I hope that happens.
Regardless, I liked your post, well said. =D>
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm And only 3 of the teams ranking above Greenway will be left at state.
I better shut up or you will really be jinxed.

Perhaps Lee will have to throw a reverse jinx in there.
Sorry, too busy predicting Andover to win tonight. :wink:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm And only 3 of the teams ranking above Greenway will be left at state.

Lee
Your prediction or page stat.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 pm
east hockey wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Lee
Your prediction or page stat.
Both.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I wish we got the Duluth TV stations over here.
You got an extra bed in Proctor for an old traveler if I jump n the pickup?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm Well said NWOT!

By hockey gods, I was of course referring to you, Ranier , Warriors 41, and all the other pre-Hermantown era faithful!
Hey Westy, If the powers that be try oust a flannel lander favorite in the quarters we will just hit Gopher bar for some liquid therapy.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The Gopher Bar....
The Liffy is fine, McGoverns too but the Gopher bar is my kinda place.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:45 pm I wish we got the Duluth TV stations over here.
Got the room if you got the sleeping bag. Wake-up call provided courtesy of our Pit Lab's fierce tongue. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

east hockey wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:25 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:45 pm I wish we got the Duluth TV stations over here.
Got the room if you got the sleeping bag. Wake-up call provided courtesy of our Pit Lab's fierce tongue. :mrgreen:

Lee
Wait a dang minute. You said "Go Andover"??? Let me rephrase---We got the yard if you got the sleeping bag. Better bring a double. :P

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

I’m so disappointed that I didn’t purchase the online stream of the game last night. After watching the Raiders' loss to Hermantown earlier in the season, I honestly didn't think it would be a competitive game. I probably should have known better, given that Greenway is finally back at full strength and running two lines is easier in a televised game.

While I don't have the hatred of Hermantown that others on the board seem to have, and I try to remain impartial, I admit they aren't exactly my favorite team, either. Mostly I am happy for the Greenway players and fans, particularly after how last season ended and how rough much of this season was. The team showed a lot of fortitude in rebounding from tough losses against a brutal schedule early in the season and put together a nice run down the stretch and through the playoffs. Congratulations, and best of luck at state! I'm sure there will be a huge contingent of Greenway fans in St. Paul, along with plenty of others rooting for you.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

There definitely will be a large contingent of Greenway fans. I suggest the hotels hire a few extra security people because huge amounts of adult beverages will be consumed. Iron Rangers have been known to enjoy a few beers.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Every now and then you have a game where you didn't record it, and afterward wish you had. This was absolutely one of those games. Making matters worse, my brother didn't record it either. ](*,) ](*,)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

east hockey wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm Every now and then you have a game where you didn't record it, and afterward wish you had. This was absolutely one of those games. Making matters worse, my brother didn't record it either. ](*,) ](*,)

Lee
In 2010, I called WDIO to see if I could buy a DVD of the Hibbing 7A title win over Virginia, and the video guy I talked to mailed me one for free. Worth a shot.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

I purchased a 7AA final online from WDIO. Think it was around $20.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

rainier2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm
east hockey wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm Every now and then you have a game where you didn't record it, and afterward wish you had. This was absolutely one of those games. Making matters worse, my brother didn't record it either. ](*,) ](*,)

Lee
In 2010, I called WDIO to see if I could buy a DVD of the Hibbing 7A title win over Virginia, and the video guy I talked to mailed me one for free. Worth a shot.
Never thought of that. Thanks!

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Let's give credit where it is due. Greenway played a great game! All this talk about Hermantown not being motivated and taking it all for granted is a bunch of b to the s. After barely getting by Greenway last year, and getting destroyed by Alex at state, I find it very hard to believe they were taking anything for granted. These kids are still all 15 to 18 years old and are not a bunch of robots. There are tendencies to game plan for, and exploit, at all levels of hockey. All the kids go into the game like this incredibly motivated to win. If anything, maybe Greenway just found the right game plan and executed it right. Kudos to them. It doesn't mean the HT players weren't trying hard, or took anything for granted. Hockey is a crazy sport. This game and last year's Alex game is exactly why I was never too fired up about Hermantown staying at the A level. It is a thing of beauty when the supposed dominate Goliath is slayed by David. These kids and their fans now have a memory of a huge accomplishment that can never be taken away. The Hermantown players now have some tough adversity to process and deal with and hopefully they can still be proud of a pretty darn good season. I will be rooting for Greenway to continue their run (unless they meet Alex). Let's not diminish what was a great game by them with the crazy Hermantown doesn't want it enough talk.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

zooomx wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm Let's give credit where it is due. Greenway played a great game! All this talk about Hermantown not being motivated and taking it all for granted is a bunch of b to the s. After barely getting by Greenway last year, and getting destroyed by Alex at state, I find it very hard to believe they were taking anything for granted. These kids are still all 15 to 18 years old and are not a bunch of robots. There are tendencies to game plan for, and exploit, at all levels of hockey. All the kids go into the game like this incredibly motivated to win. If anything, maybe Greenway just found the right game plan and executed it right. Kudos to them. It doesn't mean the HT players weren't trying hard, or took anything for granted. Hockey is a crazy sport. This game and last year's Alex game is exactly why I was never too fired up about Hermantown staying at the A level. It is a thing of beauty when the supposed dominate Goliath is slayed by David. These kids and their fans now have a memory of a huge accomplishment that can never be taken away. The Hermantown players now have some tough adversity to process and deal with and hopefully they can still be proud of a pretty darn good season. I will be rooting for Greenway to continue their run (unless they meet Alex). Let's not diminish what was a great game by them with the crazy Hermantown doesn't want it enough talk.

Hermantown was 20-3-2, beat EP, tied Tonka, their losses were all by one goal to Wayzata, BSM, Rosemount, had 11 wins vs AA teams, they beat 4 other top ten Class A teams by a combined score of 12-3, and they won their first meeting with Greenway 4-0, outshooting them 44-13.

Greenway was 12-13 with 6 losses to Class A teams, and their signature win was over your Cardinals.

You really expect people to believe that Hermantown played their best last night? Greenway was great last night, but the Hawks couldn't match their intensity and drive to win.

Look,we get it, you're an Alex fan who wants to believe their squad beat a hungry, motivated, peak performing Hermantown team last year. Nobody's buying it.
northwoods oldtimer

rainier2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 pm
zooomx wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm Let's give credit where it is due. Greenway played a great game! All this talk about Hermantown not being motivated and taking it all for granted is a bunch of b to the s. After barely getting by Greenway last year, and getting destroyed by Alex at state, I find it very hard to believe they were taking anything for granted. These kids are still all 15 to 18 years old and are not a bunch of robots. There are tendencies to game plan for, and exploit, at all levels of hockey. All the kids go into the game like this incredibly motivated to win. If anything, maybe Greenway just found the right game plan and executed it right. Kudos to them. It doesn't mean the HT players weren't trying hard, or took anything for granted. Hockey is a crazy sport. This game and last year's Alex game is exactly why I was never too fired up about Hermantown staying at the A level. It is a thing of beauty when the supposed dominate Goliath is slayed by David. These kids and their fans now have a memory of a huge accomplishment that can never be taken away. The Hermantown players now have some tough adversity to process and deal with and hopefully they can still be proud of a pretty darn good season. I will be rooting for Greenway to continue their run (unless they meet Alex). Let's not diminish what was a great game by them with the crazy Hermantown doesn't want it enough talk.

Hermantown was 20-3-2, beat EP, tied Tonka, their losses were all by one goal to Wayzata, BSM, Rosemount, had 11 wins vs AA teams, they beat 4 other top ten Class A teams by a combined score of 12-3, and they won their first meeting with Greenway 4-0, outshooting them 44-13.

Greenway was 12-13 with 6 losses to Class A teams, and their signature win was over your Cardinals.

You really expect people to believe that Hermantown played their best last night? Greenway was great last night, but the Hawks couldn't match their intensity and drive to win.

Look,we get it, you're an Alex fan who wants to believe their squad beat a hungry, motivated, peak performing Hermantown team last year. Nobody's buying it.
I am buying Alex that win was awesome to watch. Love the underdog teams. =D> =D> =D>

Go big Green!!
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Can u even read? Did I say they played their best game? Sorry if I dont look through ever situation as a "victim" like u do. You take the fun out of everything. All this talk of Class A being ruined and yet look at the tourney field we have this year. A lot more parity than you whiners expected. Well, haters will be haters.
northwoods oldtimer

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 pm The Gopher Bar....
The Liffy is fine, McGoverns too but the Gopher bar is my kinda place.
Where the Flannel Heads are welcome. :wink:
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

zooomx wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 am

Can u even read? Did I say they played their best game? Sorry if I dont look through ever situation as a "victim" like u do. You take the fun out of everything. All this talk of Class A being ruined and yet look at the tourney field we have this year. A lot more parity than you whiners expected. Well, haters will be haters.
So, you didn't say Hermantown played their best game, which tacitly implies you think Hermantown didn't play to their potential, correct? Why didn't they play as well as they did vs EP or Tonka earlier this year? Why didn't they beat Greenway 4-0 while outshooting them 44-13 again? Greenway did play a great game, but are they as good as EP & Tonka?

In the six sentences you wrote, you manged to call me three different names. That tells me you don't actually have an argument. If you think after competing well and beating the best teams in AA all their lives doesn't cause Hermantown to view games vs Class A teams differently, then I don't think I can help you.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:08 am

So, you didn't say Hermantown played their best game, which tacitly implies you think Hermantown didn't play to their potential, correct? Why didn't they play as well as they did vs EP or Tonka earlier this year? Why didn't they beat Greenway 4-0 while outshooting them 44-13 again? Greenway did play a great game, but are they as good as EP & Tonka?

In the six sentences you wrote, you manged to call me three different names. That tells me you don't actually have an argument. If you think after competing well and beating the best teams in AA all their lives doesn't cause Hermantown to view games vs Class A teams differently, then I don't think I can help you.
Does any team play their very best game each and every game? No. Did Greenway maybe play a much better game the second time around? I would think so. I do refuse to believe that these 15-18 year old players from Hermantown approach a section final game with anything but an attitude of "we will do anything to win". We tend to always think the answer to an upset is that the favorite took the underdog for granted, or they weren't hungry. I think hockey is a fickle game and there are ebbs and flows, fortunate bounces, unfortunate breaks, momentum shifts, and occasionally some kid or two raising their game to a whole new level. I think focusing on a "Hermantown let down" is a slap in the face to Greenway. Greenway struggled all year to find the identity of this team. Kudos to the coach for pushing the right buttons at the end of the season and kudos to the players for not giving up. They have a really good team and it should be celebrated.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:08 am

They were playing little class A Hermantown, they couldn’t really care less about the game. Didn’t play well either. :D