Greenway/Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier2

Re: Greenway/Hermantown

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:24 am

GopherHockey wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 am
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:08 am
zooomx wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 am

Can u even read? Did I say they played their best game? Sorry if I dont look through ever situation as a "victim" like u do. You take the fun out of everything. All this talk of Class A being ruined and yet look at the tourney field we have this year. A lot more parity than you whiners expected. Well, haters will be haters.
So, you didn't say Hermantown played their best game, which tacitly implies you think Hermantown didn't play to their potential, correct? Why didn't they play as well as they did vs EP or Tonka earlier this year? Why didn't they beat Greenway 4-0 while outshooting them 44-13 again? Greenway did play a great game, but are they as good as EP & Tonka?

In the six sentences you wrote, you manged to call me three different names. That tells me you don't actually have an argument. If you think after competing well and beating the best teams in AA all their lives doesn't cause Hermantown to view games vs Class A teams differently, then I don't think I can help you.
They were playing little class A Hermantown, they couldn’t really care less about the game. Didn’t play well either. :D
Fair enough, that could be true.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:34 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:24 am
GopherHockey wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 am
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:08 am

So, you didn't say Hermantown played their best game, which tacitly implies you think Hermantown didn't play to their potential, correct? Why didn't they play as well as they did vs EP or Tonka earlier this year? Why didn't they beat Greenway 4-0 while outshooting them 44-13 again? Greenway did play a great game, but are they as good as EP & Tonka?

In the six sentences you wrote, you manged to call me three different names. That tells me you don't actually have an argument. If you think after competing well and beating the best teams in AA all their lives doesn't cause Hermantown to view games vs Class A teams differently, then I don't think I can help you.
They were playing little class A Hermantown, they couldn’t really care less about the game. Didn’t play well either. :D
Fair enough, that could be true.
If BP was on the bench HT would be heading to the X...

Congrats to GW!

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Sounds like Hermantown is staying down according to the AD in the latest article.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 pm

It's a done deal. Hermantown will have a very easy path to State next year especially if Biondi returns. Both Greenway and Virginia lose a lot of talent. Eveleth just never seems to turn the corner. Denfeld success will depend on how good their sophomores develop. Hibbing should be much improved but will most likely be on the road in the QF.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 pm

east hockey wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Every now and then you have a game where you didn't record it, and afterward wish you had. This was absolutely one of those games. Making matters worse, my brother didn't record it either. ](*,) ](*,)

Lee
I recorded this gem. 🤓
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 pm
zooomx wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm
Let's give credit where it is due. Greenway played a great game! All this talk about Hermantown not being motivated and taking it all for granted is a bunch of b to the s. After barely getting by Greenway last year, and getting destroyed by Alex at state, I find it very hard to believe they were taking anything for granted. These kids are still all 15 to 18 years old and are not a bunch of robots. There are tendencies to game plan for, and exploit, at all levels of hockey. All the kids go into the game like this incredibly motivated to win. If anything, maybe Greenway just found the right game plan and executed it right. Kudos to them. It doesn't mean the HT players weren't trying hard, or took anything for granted. Hockey is a crazy sport. This game and last year's Alex game is exactly why I was never too fired up about Hermantown staying at the A level. It is a thing of beauty when the supposed dominate Goliath is slayed by David. These kids and their fans now have a memory of a huge accomplishment that can never be taken away. The Hermantown players now have some tough adversity to process and deal with and hopefully they can still be proud of a pretty darn good season. I will be rooting for Greenway to continue their run (unless they meet Alex). Let's not diminish what was a great game by them with the crazy Hermantown doesn't want it enough talk.

Hermantown was 20-3-2, beat EP, tied Tonka, their losses were all by one goal to Wayzata, BSM, Rosemount, had 11 wins vs AA teams, they beat 4 other top ten Class A teams by a combined score of 12-3, and they won their first meeting with Greenway 4-0, outshooting them 44-13.

Greenway was 12-13 with 6 losses to Class A teams, and their signature win was over your Cardinals.

You really expect people to believe that Hermantown played their best last night? Greenway was great last night, but the Hawks couldn't match their intensity and drive to win.

Look,we get it, you're an Alex fan who wants to believe their squad beat a hungry, motivated, peak performing Hermantown team last year. Nobody's buying it.
Hermantown has a habit of playing with their food before they eat it. Ei. A kitty cat with a mouse it’s caught.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:37 pm

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Contrary to what is posted on here by ranier and jeffy, you would be hard pressed to find a more unselfish and caring community than Hermantown.
Good luck to Greenway! They have a strong team, and thanks to their coach, I know they believe they can get it done.
They deserve their trip and I know the Hermantown community will cheer for them as they would their own.
Can't wait until next week!
Go Raiders!!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm

What a great gesture from some Hermantown folks. I’m glad this was recognized online. Theses are the kinds of stories that seem to get lost. Thanks from an appreciative Greenway fan.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:25 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 pm
It's a done deal. Hermantown will have a very easy path to State next year especially if Biondi returns. Both Greenway and Virginia lose a lot of talent. Eveleth just never seems to turn the corner. Denfeld success will depend on how good their sophomores develop. Hibbing should be much improved but will most likely be on the road in the QF.
Unless the loss Wednesday really bugs #27 which propels him to desperately want to win a Single A title (which it very well could) I don’t think he will be playing for Hermantown next season. He has options few kids have (including joining the NTDP U18 team) or playing a full year for a USHL team...since he 99% will be arriving on campus at UMD Fall of 2020 ☝️

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Hermantown is a great place to live. Kids go to Hermantown because their parents value a small town like school vs East or Denfeld that graduate 600+ kids per yr...We moved here from East Duluth 5.5 yrs ago, not for hockey (neither kid played when we moved, both my play now, so I'm guessing when they play varsity they will be considered a transfer in some people's eyes LOL). If any one of you took the time to talk to Hermantown parents that moved here for work, they will tell you the similiar/same thing or if they open enroll. I have spoke to them, friends w many....Ask Scott Sandlin why he moved here vs East, cuz he looked into buying a home in East Duluth when he moved here, he will say a friend had a house in Hermantown he liked and preferred the small school. Hermantown is a package: a great small type school among 2 huge schools (East, Denfeld) with a great hockey program...as a parent what would you choose for your kids?...I coach 2 youth hockey teams and the parents are great, coaching is great, rink staff is great and the Haha board is great. I am one that thinks we should move up to AA, why do I stay in Hermantown: small school a d everything else noted above. Pionk thinks we should play AA, his kid plays for Hermantown, why doesnt his kid open enroll to East if AA if its so important? Small school and everything else noted above. So, my point is if Hermantown goes AA kids will still come here for the small school and in my opinion more "transfers" would want to come here since we would be. AA. I want our program better, it's great already but theres always room for improvement, we need a shot in the arm per se. At the end of the day most parents will want their kids to go to a small school. Dont believe me? Dig into school life at Denfeld or East, you'll have your answer. BTW before someone asks about Proctor, Proctor is Proctor and nearly every parent there works in Duluth...Just like Hermantown.

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:25 pm
greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 pm
Unless the loss Wednesday really bugs #27 which propels him to desperately want to win a Single A title (which it very well could) I don’t think he will be playing for Hermantown next season. He has options few kids have (including joining the NTDP U18 team) or playing a full year for a USHL team...since he 99% will be arriving on campus at UMD Fall of 2020 ☝️
FROM #27 TWITTER ACCT: 10/23/18
Retweeted: (Hidden message here???)
"Players: Enjoy your HS playing days. There’s nothing like playing in front of a crowd of your community members, friends & family & playing alongside classmates. The sense of community & school pride is unbeatable. Relish it; rejoice in it; respect it. It’s over before you know."

I sincerely hope he sticks around...so much fun to watch! But he will ultimately decide what's best for him!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:44 pm

HawkAA wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:53 am
karl(east) wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 pm
What a night at Amsoil. Given last season's result I figured Greenway had a shot if they stuck around, but having seen this sort of game so many times before, I thought the Hawks would find some way to pull it out. Casadonte and friends had other ideas.

The Raiders won this game because their star players outplayed Hermantown's. Ben Troumbly, not Blake Biondi, was the best player on the ice tonight. He and Lawson are a dynamic duo and really got rolling in the second period, and had a number of excellent chances both then and in the first overtime. Pierce, meanwhile, was pretty quiet out of a few solid hits, and while Biondi scored a goal on an impressive individual effort and certainly had his dangerous moments, he also seemed to wander in and out of this game in ways that I hadn't seen him do before, including on the GWG when a stronger backecheck could have made a difference. He's an awesome player and he'll learn, but tonight the Raiders had a bit more tenacity.

Also, I found it a bit odd that Elliott Peterson was back on D for large portions of this game. He's played there before and did a solid job, but it seemed to sap Hermnatown's forward depth. That was already this team's weakness, in my opinion. Greenway seemed pretty comfortable when the Hawks' top line wasn't out there; their second line could just hold serve, and then Troumbly and Lawson could do their thing.

Lots of great defensive play in this one, too. Gotz was a rock for the Hawks, shutting down rushes time and again; Peterson was solid, too, as were Lantz and Miller for Greenway, and Elich is the unsung hero of this one for his rush that set up Lawson's game-winner. Great goaltending, as well; hard not to feel for Manahan, who had an incredible sequence in the first overtime to keep the game going.

What a performance by the Raiders, and congratulations on ending one of the great streaks of section dominance in HS hockey to earn their first Class A Tourney berth. I'm not sure how running two lines will hold up over three days in St. Paul, but if anyone can make it work, this team can. They should get seeded, perhaps #4 or #5 barring dramatic upsets elsewhere. Real credit to Coach Clafton, who seems to really take the Mike Randolph philosophy of a regular season as a 25-game experimentation period ahead of sections. He had some good lines in his postgame comments that got into the piece I did for the Hub.

Something about these Amsoil finals just gives us hockey at its best. Hoping for more of the same tomorrow night.
Hermantown Defense NEVER pinch, EVER. Clafton did a great job breaking out high creating multiple (like 15) odd man rushes..why Htown didnt start pinching is beyond me, it would have shut GW down in a lot of ways. Htown always plays the same game...works most of the time but last night, State last year, Section Finals last year and state 2017 if an opponent watches some Htown tape it's easy to see. Back checking is what lost this game for Hermantown but in #27 defense, they were exhausted, anytime #1 line was on ice GW controlled the puck in Hermantown zone 3rd period and both overtimes. Greenway had the WILL to win this game and deserved the win. Hermantown outshot GW but GW had better chances in my opinion. Multiple times GW goalie popped out a rebound laying infront of open net and no Htown player was there. I hope for the sake of our program we go AA, we need a shot in the arm. I think the program has gotten complacent and going AA would give us the energy to become better. Congrats to GW...Congrats to Htown for a wonderful season. Hopefully #27 stays around next yr, so much fun to watch! Kudos to Manahan, he kept the game going longer than it should have. Now let's root for a Hounds win tonight!
Wanted to acknowledge this post, because I thought it was a great take on the Hawks. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up the "Hermantown is so dominant" narrative that we forget they are a hockey team with strengths and weaknesses just like any other, even if those strengths are often massive relative to their playoff competition. Intelligent coaches have noticed that Hermantown only has one style of play, and have adapted to that. The secret is out: get the puck past their aggressive forecheck and you can get a lot of odd-man rushes the other way. Some might call it devotion to a system and others might call it complacency, but AA playoff hockey forces creativity and adaptations that Class A does not.

For that matter, I'd say four of the past five seasons have shown that it's not always great in A, either. Hermantown has been the most talented team in each of those seasons but has only finished the deal twice, one of which involved three very narrow escapes, two against vastly less talented teams. Yes, upsets happen to even the best teams and coaches, but if I'm a Hawks fan, I'm wondering what could have been, and I think these recent playoff losses should be viewed with a more critical eye than the run of 2nd place finishes to superior St. Thomas teams, or East Grand Forks the first time.

Lest I sound too down on the program, the Lawson box story is great, and another good reminder that the game is only part of the story. Looking forward to seeing the Raiders in St. Paul.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:44 pm
HawkAA wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 pm
What a night at Amsoil. Given last season's result I figured Greenway had a shot if they stuck around, but having seen this sort of game so many times before, I thought the Hawks would find some way to pull it out. Casadonte and friends had other ideas.

The Raiders won this game because their star players outplayed Hermantown's. Ben Troumbly, not Blake Biondi, was the best player on the ice tonight. He and Lawson are a dynamic duo and really got rolling in the second period, and had a number of excellent chances both then and in the first overtime. Pierce, meanwhile, was pretty quiet out of a few solid hits, and while Biondi scored a goal on an impressive individual effort and certainly had his dangerous moments, he also seemed to wander in and out of this game in ways that I hadn't seen him do before, including on the GWG when a stronger backecheck could have made a difference. He's an awesome player and he'll learn, but tonight the Raiders had a bit more tenacity.

Also, I found it a bit odd that Elliott Peterson was back on D for large portions of this game. He's played there before and did a solid job, but it seemed to sap Hermnatown's forward depth. That was already this team's weakness, in my opinion. Greenway seemed pretty comfortable when the Hawks' top line wasn't out there; their second line could just hold serve, and then Troumbly and Lawson could do their thing.

Lots of great defensive play in this one, too. Gotz was a rock for the Hawks, shutting down rushes time and again; Peterson was solid, too, as were Lantz and Miller for Greenway, and Elich is the unsung hero of this one for his rush that set up Lawson's game-winner. Great goaltending, as well; hard not to feel for Manahan, who had an incredible sequence in the first overtime to keep the game going.

What a performance by the Raiders, and congratulations on ending one of the great streaks of section dominance in HS hockey to earn their first Class A Tourney berth. I'm not sure how running two lines will hold up over three days in St. Paul, but if anyone can make it work, this team can. They should get seeded, perhaps #4 or #5 barring dramatic upsets elsewhere. Real credit to Coach Clafton, who seems to really take the Mike Randolph philosophy of a regular season as a 25-game experimentation period ahead of sections. He had some good lines in his postgame comments that got into the piece I did for the Hub.

Something about these Amsoil finals just gives us hockey at its best. Hoping for more of the same tomorrow night.
Hermantown Defense NEVER pinch, EVER. Clafton did a great job breaking out high creating multiple (like 15) odd man rushes..why Htown didnt start pinching is beyond me, it would have shut GW down in a lot of ways. Htown always plays the same game...works most of the time but last night, State last year, Section Finals last year and state 2017 if an opponent watches some Htown tape it's easy to see. Back checking is what lost this game for Hermantown but in #27 defense, they were exhausted, anytime #1 line was on ice GW controlled the puck in Hermantown zone 3rd period and both overtimes. Greenway had the WILL to win this game and deserved the win. Hermantown outshot GW but GW had better chances in my opinion. Multiple times GW goalie popped out a rebound laying infront of open net and no Htown player was there. I hope for the sake of our program we go AA, we need a shot in the arm. I think the program has gotten complacent and going AA would give us the energy to become better. Congrats to GW...Congrats to Htown for a wonderful season. Hopefully #27 stays around next yr, so much fun to watch! Kudos to Manahan, he kept the game going longer than it should have. Now let's root for a Hounds win tonight!
Wanted to acknowledge this post, because I thought it was a great take on the Hawks. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up the "Hermantown is so dominant" narrative that we forget they are a hockey team with strengths and weaknesses just like any other, even if those strengths are often massive relative to their playoff competition. Intelligent coaches have noticed that Hermantown only has one style of play, and have adapted to that. The secret is out: get the puck past their aggressive forecheck and you can get a lot of odd-man rushes the other way. Some might call it devotion to a system and others might call it complacency, but AA playoff hockey forces creativity and adaptations that Class A does not.

For that matter, I'd say four of the past five seasons have shown that it's not always great in A, either. Hermantown has been the most talented team in each of those seasons but has only finished the deal twice, one of which involved three very narrow escapes, two against vastly less talented teams. Yes, upsets happen to even the best teams and coaches, but if I'm a Hawks fan, I'm wondering what could have been, and I think these recent playoff losses should be viewed with a more critical eye than the run of 2nd place finishes to superior St. Thomas teams, or East Grand Forks the first time.

Lest I sound too down on the program, the Lawson box story is great, and another good reminder that the game is only part of the story. Looking forward to seeing the Raiders in St. Paul.
Karl, you are a brilliant hockey mind and a phenomenal writer.
Could you summarize this post in English please.
Also, what do you thing about the team in the post Plante era and how it relates to this.

TwinPortsHockeyFan

Post by TwinPortsHockeyFan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm

HawkAA wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm
Hermantown is a great place to live. Kids go to Hermantown because their parents value a small town like school vs East or Denfeld that graduate 600+ kids per yr...We moved here from East Duluth 5.5 yrs ago, not for hockey (neither kid played when we moved, both my play now, so I'm guessing when they play varsity they will be considered a transfer in some people's eyes LOL). If any one of you took the time to talk to Hermantown parents that moved here for work, they will tell you the similiar/same thing or if they open enroll. I have spoke to them, friends w many....Ask Scott Sandlin why he moved here vs East, cuz he looked into buying a home in East Duluth when he moved here, he will say a friend had a house in Hermantown he liked and preferred the small school. Hermantown is a package: a great small type school among 2 huge schools (East, Denfeld) with a great hockey program...as a parent what would you choose for your kids?...I coach 2 youth hockey teams and the parents are great, coaching is great, rink staff is great and the Haha board is great. I am one that thinks we should move up to AA, why do I stay in Hermantown: small school a d everything else noted above. Pionk thinks we should play AA, his kid plays for Hermantown, why doesnt his kid open enroll to East if AA if its so important? Small school and everything else noted above. So, my point is if Hermantown goes AA kids will still come here for the small school and in my opinion more "transfers" would want to come here since we would be. AA. I want our program better, it's great already but theres always room for improvement, we need a shot in the arm per se. At the end of the day most parents will want their kids to go to a small school. Dont believe me? Dig into school life at Denfeld or East, you'll have your answer. BTW before someone asks about Proctor, Proctor is Proctor and nearly every parent there works in Duluth...Just like Hermantown.
Neither Denfeld nor East graduate anywhere near 600 kids per year. East graduates about 400 per year and Denfeld about 225.

I live in the East End now, but grew up in Piedmont Heights and went to Denfeld back in the day. I looked at houses in Hermantown four years ago when we bought a house, but everything was far too expensive for what you were getting. We’re not ones that needed a huge lot like Hermantown has, so that wasn’t a consideration.

I agree that Hermantown should be in AA. While there’s no question they’re following the letter of the law by playing in class A, they’re violating the spirit of why the state high school league went to two classes. The extra class was put in because some smaller schools literally had no chance of getting in the tournament. Hermantown does not fit into that category. It’s a wealthy suburban community (which there’s nothing wrong with being). I wish that they’d move the enrollment cutoff down to 500 so many more are AA. The state tourney isn’t supposed to be for the same teams every year. It’s supposed to be a huge accomplishment and it’s turned in to something less than that in my opinion.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:46 pm

HawkAA wrote:
According to MSHSL, each school’s 9-12 enrollment:

Duluth Denfeld: 666
Duluth East: 1378
Hermantown: 629

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 pm

The problem with using what’s posted on the MSHSL is that enrollments are adjusted for free and reduced lunch students. The actual body count can be quite different.

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:22 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:46 pm
HawkAA wrote:
According to MSHSL, each school’s 9-12 enrollment:

Duluth Denfeld: 666
Duluth East: 1378
Hermantown: 629

Ok, I missed on the numbers, Google say 1506 enrolled 18-19 @ East. I didnt want to really get into comparing w Denfeld since it's not a hockey hot bed. If u live in W Duluth you go to Denfeld or get the F outta there and open enroll to east or Hermantown if you play hockey and I say that's due to the schools reputation. If a family that plays hockey if moving to town, I say, East and Htown are top options. If Hermantown goes AA I say new families pick Hermantown since it's a small school...Round about way to make my point LOL! (I typed this once and lost it some how, had to type it twice! I suck at technology!)

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:33 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:37 pm
A great story here!

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouthHockeyH ... 5925853185

Nice! The irony of it, eh? What a great sport hockey is!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm

pekyman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm
karl(east) wrote:
HawkAA wrote:

Also, what do you thing about the team in the post Plante era and how it relates to this.
:lol:

If you're asking me to compare Andrews to Plante, I don't think there's any noticeable difference in their style or tactical approach. Bruce never came off as a big Xs and Os guy either. What he did have was a ton of charisma and he could get kids to skate through walls for him. Andrews is young and I think he's still finding his way as a head coach at the high school level. The best learn from mistakes and adapt, so we'll see if he can do that.
---
As for some of the other stuff here, Denfeld's actual enrollment is closer to 1,000 when not adjusting for free/reduced lunch. And beyond that, it's a matter of perspective; East, while by far the largest school in NE MN, is still half the size of some of the high schools they may play at State this week. By statewide or national standards for a traditional public high school in an urbanized area, it is on the smaller side.

If one has to choose between East and Hermantown, it's largely a matter of taste. Some people like traditional neighborhoods; some people prefer not to see their neighbors. (Though some of those Hermantown cul-de-sacs move in the neighborhood, and the East attendance area also includes several rural townships and much of Rice Lake.) Both have their pockets of wealth, though East probably has more of both on the very high end and on the very low end socioeconomically. Simply due to the numbers game, there's more competition for spots in sports or to get to the top of the academic heap at East, which some people like and some people do not. A smaller school is in theory more intimate; a larger school in theory has more programming options.

Possibly of interest...this is a couple years old now but the data is basically unchanged: https://apatientcycle.com/2016/11/29/ho ... ol-anyway/

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:25 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm
pekyman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm
karl(east) wrote:

:lol:

If you're asking me to compare Andrews to Plante, I don't think there's any noticeable difference in their style or tactical approach. Bruce never came off as a big Xs and Os guy either. What he did have was a ton of charisma and he could get kids to skate through walls for him. Andrews is young and I think he's still finding his way as a head coach at the high school level. The best learn from mistakes and adapt, so we'll see if he can do that.
---
As for some of the other stuff here, Denfeld's actual enrollment is closer to 1,000 when not adjusting for free/reduced lunch. And beyond that, it's a matter of perspective; East, while by far the largest school in NE MN, is still half the size of some of the high schools they may play at State this week. By statewide or national standards for a traditional public high school in an urbanized area, it is on the smaller side.

If one has to choose between East and Hermantown, it's largely a matter of taste. Some people like traditional neighborhoods; some people prefer not to see their neighbors. (Though some of those Hermantown cul-de-sacs move in the neighborhood, and the East attendance area also includes several rural townships and much of Rice Lake.) Both have their pockets of wealth, though East probably has more of both on the very high end and on the very low end socioeconomically. Simply due to the numbers game, there's more competition for spots in sports or to get to the top of the academic heap at East, which some people like and some people do not. A smaller school is in theory more intimate; a larger school in theory has more programming options.

Possibly of interest...this is a couple years old now but the data is basically unchanged: https://apatientcycle.com/2016/11/29/ho ... ol-anyway/
Thanks Karl good luck to your Hounds I think this is their year.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:24 pm

HIGHLIGHTS: 2019 7A Final Greenway vs Hermantown
Posted by DECC - Duluth Entertainment Convention Center
Published on Feb 27, 2019
https://youtu.be/36VQ0ylNxNw

Dog

Post by Dog » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm

HawkAA wrote:
You knocked Denfeld twice now so I'm going to reply. I've had 2 kids go to Denfeld and I can say that the "reputation" is just that, a "reputation". Are there some incidents? Sure. But there's plenty that happens at HT HS that, of course, doesn't get reported. There was an incident a few years ago that should have resulted in very serious charges and incidentally involved a hockey player, who had to leave early but you never saw anything about it in print. A kid farts at Denfeld and it smells like pot and it's all over social media, news, etc. There was an incident at Denfeld a few years back where somebody wrote the N word in sharpie in a bathroom stall. Disgusting. You may have heard of it as it was reported in the paper FOR WEEKS. What you never heard was that a student of color confessed to the incident. Despite that incident, I'm proud of the friendships and commorodity between kids of all different backgrounds and races that I've witnessed at Denfeld over the years.

There are at least 2 kids that I know of from Denfeld this year that are going to Ivy league schools. That's just the people I know. The Greater Denfeld Foundation scholarship fund is the largest in the nation and gives out between $2.8 - $3.5 million a year, EVERY YEAR. I know of people who have recieved full rides from this and a relative of mine recieves $25k a year just from these scholarships. You never see any if this in print in town and this endowment will grow and last, the way it is set up, perpetually.

No matter what school you send your kids to, public or private, there are going to be a group of kids who are trouble. It's your job as a parent to keep them centered and away from trouble. If you rely on the school and don't monitor them, your kid will have more of a likelihood to get in trouble.

I know of people who send their kids to Denfeld that have gone to some of the best college preparatory schools, are doctors, etc and they're very happy with Denfeld and know their kids are getting a great education. My daughter earned college credits from Denfeld that knocked a year off of college for her at a really expensive school so I'm grateful for what Denfeld did for her besides the monetary help. Just like many things in life, it's all in what you, yourself put into it.

I wouldn't want to send my kid to a school that promotes the thought that they're better than everyone else. I went to a fairly prominent school and never heard that type of sentiment at it. It's a terrible thing to teach your kids if you want them to relate to people when their life on their own starts. This type of sentiment above and with HT parents on social media of "Thank God we don't live there or send our kids there" is quite prevalent.. snooty and annoying.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:11 am

We need a "here, have a snickers" emoji.

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Dog wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm
HawkAA wrote:
You knocked Denfeld twice now so I'm going to reply. I've had 2 kids go to Denfeld and I can say that the "reputation" is just that, a "reputation". Are there some incidents? Sure. But there's plenty that happens at HT HS that, of course, doesn't get reported. There was an incident a few years ago that should have resulted in very serious charges and incidentally involved a hockey player, who had to leave early but you never saw anything about it in print. A kid farts at Denfeld and it smells like pot and it's all over social media, news, etc. There was an incident at Denfeld a few years back where somebody wrote the N word in sharpie in a bathroom stall. Disgusting. You may have heard of it as it was reported in the paper FOR WEEKS. What you never heard was that a student of color confessed to the incident. Despite that incident, I'm proud of the friendships and commorodity between kids of all different backgrounds and races that I've witnessed at Denfeld over the years.

There are at least 2 kids that I know of from Denfeld this year that are going to Ivy league schools. That's just the people I know. The Greater Denfeld Foundation scholarship fund is the largest in the nation and gives out between $2.8 - $3.5 million a year, EVERY YEAR. I know of people who have recieved full rides from this and a relative of mine recieves $25k a year just from these scholarships. You never see any if this in print in town and this endowment will grow and last, the way it is set up, perpetually.

No matter what school you send your kids to, public or private, there are going to be a group of kids who are trouble. It's your job as a parent to keep them centered and away from trouble. If you rely on the school and don't monitor them, your kid will have more of a likelihood to get in trouble.

I know of people who send their kids to Denfeld that have gone to some of the best college preparatory schools, are doctors, etc and they're very happy with Denfeld and know their kids are getting a great education. My daughter earned college credits from Denfeld that knocked a year off of college for her at a really expensive school so I'm grateful for what Denfeld did for her besides the monetary help. Just like many things in life, it's all in what you, yourself put into it.

I wouldn't want to send my kid to a school that promotes the thought that they're better than everyone else. I went to a fairly prominent school and never heard that type of sentiment at it. It's a terrible thing to teach your kids if you want them to relate to people when their life on their own starts. This type of sentiment above and with HT parents on social media of "Thank God we don't live there or send our kids there" is quite prevalent.. snooty and annoying.

Sorry bud...my point was when people move to town and kids play hockey...Denfeld isn't on the radar and it has a reputation. I didnt create its reputation, I told people to Google what school life is at East and Denfeld, I personally didnt go to either. people like htown because it's a small school. I never said its perfect...