AA state tourney seeding

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: AA state tourney seeding

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Moorhead's "body of work" (an over used sports term) consists of losses to Edina and EP, and a win against DEast.

WB: Losses to DEast and Edina, quality wins - none.

DEast: A loss to Moorhead, ties to EP & Blaine

STA: Loss to Edina, tied EP

If my body looked like any of those I'd head to Anytime Fitness as fast as I could. There just isn't a lot to work with there.

If seeding is supposed to be predictive, I'd weight the last month of the season more heavily than December. Sure, EP had a lot of losses, but their schedule looks harder than any of the above 4, and I like giving credit for avoiding a soft schedule.
Hockey Is For Everyone
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Why even play the games in December then if they’re supposedly meaningless? You should always look at what a team has done all season long.

EP had losses to Chaska, Blake and Stillwater. They lost 7-5 to Stillwater on February 5th.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

dherman8 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:48 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 am Well the world looks different in hindsight, does it not?

But first, the seeding conspiracy theory. For many seasons the conspiracy was that MSHSL secretly seeding the tourney 1 - 8. Remember that? I never got that one. There is no reason to conspire unless there is a benefit to conspirators. And that conspiracy was of no benefit to the MSHSL; they could have just changed it to 1 - 8 if they wanted. But at any rate, that theory seems to have been put to rest, at least for the time being.

From my perspective, I saw several teams that didn't have many quality wins at all, and didn't play a lot of games against tournament teams. That made comparisons difficult. It also looked like several of the teams could be thrown in a hat. The quarter finals were all reasonably close games this year, which bears that out. I think there are a lot of years that that Blaine squad doesn't get a #2 seed, the beneficiaries of a couple of sectional upsets.

So was it wildly inaccurate to rank EP #3? Doesn't seem like it, they gave the #1 seed a better game than anyone else, by far.

Those who swore off the tournament because of a seeding charade (which I pronounce "sha-rod" to sound annoyingly intellectual) may be having a slice of humble pie for breakfast today.
I will no doubt get ripped for saying this, but the seedings were still off going in. Hindsight is always 20/20, but like everyone was saying before the tournament started, EP ended up with an easy draw in which they were very close to playing in Mariucchi on Friday after they could have very well lost to the "weakest" team in the draw. If you want to say EP deserved it going in, then you also have to say Lakeville South was better than Moorhead and WBL.
Not this again. I already provided ample reasons why EP (with the #1 SOS) was not over-seeded and while you could maybe argue LS could be seeded ahead of WBL there would be no justification for putting them ahead of Moorhead so they'd still end up unseeded and justifiably so.
East Side Pioneer Guy

StanleyCup55 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am Why even play the games in December then if they’re supposedly meaningless? You should always look at what a team has done all season long.

EP had losses to Chaska, Blake and Stillwater. They lost 7-5 to Stillwater on February 5th.
Parse my words carefully, Grasshopper. I said I would weight the later part of the schedule more than the earlier part; not that I would completely disregard it.

EP bested Chaska in the seciton semis, so I weight that more than their earlier loss.

DEast lost to Champlin Park, Brainard, and Prior Lake.

White Bear, well, who cares? They went two and out. And that's a program that actually cares about consolation, which not every program does.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 am Moorhead's "body of work" (an over used sports term) consists of losses to Edina and EP, and a win against DEast.

WB: Losses to DEast and Edina, quality wins - none.

DEast: A loss to Moorhead, ties to EP & Blaine

STA: Loss to Edina, tied EP

If my body looked like any of those I'd head to Anytime Fitness as fast as I could. There just isn't a lot to work with there.

If seeding is supposed to be predictive, I'd weight the last month of the season more heavily than December. Sure, EP had a lot of losses, but their schedule looks harder than any of the above 4, and I like giving credit for avoiding a soft schedule.
I highly doubt the only thing that goes into the seeding process is games vs other tourney teams only as you imply here. In that version a teams seeding could swing wildly based on who wins a few of the section finals....regardless of how good those teams actually are but based instead on how a small sample of games turned out. If that's what the coaches are doing then go to the QRF.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Again, parse my words carefully Grasshopper. Just where did I say that was the only thing that matters? Would wins against teams that lost in the section quarter finals a better metric? How about wins against Class A teams that lost in section quarter finals?

Isn't that a key metric when sections are seeded? There has been support here for hockey moving to a football style conference/section set up, where the regular season schedule is a home and away[*] with every team in the section, and there is no voting, they just go by the actual game results.

[*]It's not a "home and home", it's a "home and away",or an "away and home"; one game is a home game, the other an away game.
Hockey Is For Everyone