AA state tourney seeding

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kpryan88

Re: AA state tourney seeding

Post by kpryan88 »

Seedings are all based on the coaches voting. Maybe Edina & EP had a deal where they would each give the other the 1 seed in their ballot to make sure both teams are seeded? I know it’s only 1 vote, but it could have some impact. Maybe they both left STA unseeded to drop them in the seeding as well? Hard to say, but it does look like some funky stuff went down at this seeding meeting.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Stickler you forgot Eden Prairie also lost to Blake😀

No one is saying that Prairie isn’t playing good hockey and had a tough schedule, although they didn’t overly impress At Mariucci. Wayback at the beginning of season OT clown and I Reminded people how good this team would be once Jensen and Jones got healthy and the sophomore’s had lots game experience under their belts

Having said that, still don’t agree with the three seeding . They should’ve been playing in the 4 / 5 Game inStead of having the easiest first game
Last edited by WestMetro on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

BodyShots wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:38 am
karl(east) wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:51 am 2. Blaine vs. WBL
3. Eden Prairie vs. Lakeville South
1. Edina vs. Moorhead
4. St. Thomas vs. 5 Duluth East

Good day to be an Eagle, apparently. :?
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Prior Lake get seeded #3 if they win that section? Hell NO. What a joke.

Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts. Both WBL and STA got screwed.
Perhaps no team got screwed more than Edina (not that I care). Facing another Northern team that will be a favorite of 95% of the X crowd. Just as it should be :mrgreen:
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

kpryan88 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am Seedings are all based on the coaches voting. Maybe Edina & EP had a deal where they would each give the other the 1 seed in their ballot to make sure both teams are seeded? I know it’s only 1 vote, but it could have some impact. Maybe they both left STA unseeded to drop them in the seeding as well? Hard to say, but it does look like some funky stuff went down at this seeding meeting.
Well that explains it. This is a Randolph doing! Who went to the bathroom with him this time? :lol:
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

For those of you who have seen STA play, are they playing any better in their own end? They sure have been exposed at State for this weakness.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:40 am Stickler you forgot Eden Prairie also lost to Blake😀

No one is saying that Prairie isn’t playing good hockey and had a tough schedule, although they didn’t overly impress At Mariucci. Wayback at the beginning of season OT clown and I Reminded people how good this team would be once Jensen and Jones got healthy and the sophomore’s had lots game experience under their belts

Having said that, still don’t agree with the three seeding . They should’ve been playing in the 4 / 5 Game inStead of having the easiest first game
Psh, EP probably spun it as a "quality loss" :roll:

I do think the coaches seeding things can lead to shenanigans - I have do doubt Edina/EP had a Lake Conference pow wow to ensure they wouldn't match up in the semis.

I still maintain WBL got hosed the most, but I don't like a lot of this draw.
deacon

Post by deacon »

greenwayraider wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:49 am For those of you who have seen STA play, are they playing any better in their own end? They sure have been exposed at State for this weakness.
I've only seen them play once, but I don't think they've given up more than 1 goal in a game in like, 2 months.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

greenwayraider wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:49 am For those of you who have seen STA play, are they playing any better in their own end? They sure have been exposed at State for this weakness.
I think they're much improved from the beginning of the season - they haven't conceded more than once in a game since late January. Managed to beat Mahtomedi, Hill, Lakeville North, East Ridge, Eastview, and Eagan by a combined 31-6 the last month or so of the season.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Terrible, you could make a pretty good argument for White Bear getting a better seed than EP and it shakes out like this?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Again, love the draw. Both Northern teams in prime time. Don't care who they play
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

hockey59 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am If I’m EdinA & Curt Giles...I’m not pleased.
Reached for comment, Giles inquired, "who do we play?"

Informed Moorhead at 6 pm he responded, "OK."
Be kind. Rewind.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Can't wait for this tourney.. 1/4 finals in A looks like blow outs, but East and Moorhead prime time? :D

I know it's a long shot, but east seems to do well against STA and Edina at the tournament.. Hope that continues this Thursday.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Go with the QRF formula, working well in 7AA.
highgloveside

Post by highgloveside »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:06 am Based on past performance, WB should be unseeded.

The Bears are only 51 minutes away from Mariucci, which apparently is their favorite place to play in March.
Says the Guy or Gal who's team is cleaning out their Section 4AA home locker room =D>
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

O-townClown wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:16 pm
hockey59 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am If I’m EdinA & Curt Giles...I’m not pleased.
Reached for comment, Giles inquired, "who do we play?"

Informed Moorhead at 6 pm he responded, "OK."
What’s he gonna say? He coaches Edina for heavens sake 😉
GettinHiggyWithIt

Post by GettinHiggyWithIt »

alcloseshaver wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm Go with the QRF formula, working well in 7AA.
Working well? Im not sure id go that far. A mediocre Forest Lake team gets the 4 seed + home ice over ER, GR, and Duluth Marshall. They should have easily been the 7 seed in this section, I mean c'mon they lost to the 6 and 7 seed in their own section?? It would be a shame to see such a flawed system implemented in the state tourney
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

GettinHiggyWithIt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 pm
alcloseshaver wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm Go with the QRF formula, working well in 7AA.
Working well? Im not sure id go that far. A mediocre Forest Lake team gets the 4 seed + home ice over ER, GR, and Duluth Marshall. They should have easily been the 7 seed in this section, I mean c'mon they lost to the 6 and 7 seed in their own section?? It would be a shame to see such a flawed system implemented in the state tourney
He was definitely being sarcastic
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Q: Why are EP and LS so giddy today?

A: They both get to play the team with the most losses in the tournament on Thursday.

LS - 12 losses
EP - 9 losses
Combined QF matchup of 21 losses.

I wonder if that's ever been seen before? Heck, out of the other three games, two of them don't even combine for the number of losses for EP.

Combined Losses:
Game 1 - 6
Game 2 - 21
Game 3 - 8
Game 4 - 9
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

BodyShots wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:08 pm Q: Why are EP and LS so giddy today?

A: They both get to play the team with the most losses in the tournament on Thursday.

LS - 12 losses
EP - 9 losses

I wonder if that's ever been seen before? Heck, out of the other three games, two of them don't even combine for the number of losses for EP.

Combined Losses:
Game 1 - 6
Game 2 - 21
Game 3 - 8
Game 4 - 9
2013 Edina (22-6) vs Lakeville North (11-16-1) -- 22 losses

Looks like that's it for State One-class/AA tourneys
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

BodyShots wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:08 pm Q: Why are EP and LS so giddy today?

LS - 12 losses
EP - 9 losses

Combined Losses:
Game 1 - 6
Game 2 - 21
Game 3 - 8
Game 4 - 9
2013: Edina 22-6 vs Lakeville North 11-16-1
(22 combined losses)

That was the only 21+ loss combination I could find dating back to 1980. Edina obviously didn’t have the second highest number of losses in that field, though.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

My understanding is there isn’t a coaches call for the State Tourney. That they just submit votes.

In Section 8 the coaches seeding votes are made public. Are the State Tourney votes public. Would just be interesting to see how it played out.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

karl(east) wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:51 am 2. Blaine vs. WBL
3. Eden Prairie vs. Lakeville South
1. Edina vs. Moorhead
4. St. Thomas vs. 5 Duluth East

Good day to be an Eagle, apparently. :?
14-9-2 gets you the 3 seed?! #-o #-o #-o
I see that Danny got his wish for a great quarter final with the Hounds :wink:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Somebody asked about STA defense and goaltending.

Decent, with Winges, Schimek , Boemer, but Hounds definitely the edge on the first pair with Paine and Cochran. Cadets edge on goaltending
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

UNBELIEVABLE!!! The only two teams with any casual fan interest in AA, play the matinee game against each other :x :x :x

WBL got shorted, big time.

Was looking forward to WBL and Blaine prime time Friday night.

Who on earth made up this draw, crayon eaters!?

18-4 and 19 - 2-2 get kicked right to the flippin' curb!! BS!!!!!!!
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Those of you that are applauding Pagestat for getting the seedings right need to take a step back and look at the big picture. It’s pretty much unanimous here that the seedings make no sense, yet they match Pagestat. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Pagestat.