AA QF: Moorhead vs. #1 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Spuds
29%
Hornets
71%

Total votes: 42

karl(east)

AA QF: Moorhead vs. #1 Edina

Post by karl(east) »

MOORHEAD VS. #1 EDINA
6:00 Thursday
-An evening of North vs. Metro begins with two storied programs. Edina won a regular season meeting 6-5, which is their only recent game. Their only State Tournament meeting came in 2009, when the Spuds upset top-seeded Edina 5-2 in the quarterfinals.

Moorhead (21-6-1, #9, 1-seed in 8AA)
State appearances: 16 (last in 2017)
Key section wins: 3-0 over #17 Buffalo, 3-2 over #18 Brainerd
-The Spuds marched through 8AA, and as a team that has given some top teams (including Edina) tight games this season, they are no easy draw. While not the deepest team in the field, the top line of Kyler Kleven (10), Isaac Henkemeyer-Howe (4), and Nolan Westra (7) can be overpowering, and junior defenseman Luke Gramer (3) is an elite talent, and their only real offensive threat from the blue line. Thomas Horan (2) and Carter Johnson (18) head up their second unit, and Hudson Hodges (31) has performed well since winning the goalie job. Knocking off Edina is a tall order, but it the Spuds’ big guns produce and the lower lines can hold serve, they have a shot.

Edina (24-2-1, #1, 1-seed in 6AA)
State appearances: 39 (6 as Edina East/West in 70s and 80s; 2 in a row)
Championships: 12 (1969, 1971, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1997, 2010, 2013, and 2014 as Edina; 1974, 1978, and 1979 as Edina East)
Key section wins: 4-2 over #20 Blake, 5-1 over #13 Benilde-St. Margaret’s
-The Hornets enter this year’s Tourney as prohibitive favorites. As usual, they have some front-line talent at forward, this year in the form of Mr. Hockey finalists Jett Jungels (22) and Mason Nevers (18), plus second line anchor Liam Malmquist (7). Their real strength, however, is a rock-solid defense led by star Mike Vorlicky (17), defensive rock Mason Reiners (21), Jake Boltmann (2), and up-and-coming Nick Williams (4). They aren’t as deep as in some past seasons, though Kevin Delaney (23) had as strong senior year, and Brett Chorske (17) adds a large physical presence. If they can protect sophomore goalie Louden Hogg (1) adequately, they can atone for last season’s miss. The road will not be easy, but the talent is there.
DadsMoney

Re: AA QF: Moorhead vs. #1 Edina

Post by DadsMoney »

Edina 4
Moorhead 1

May be close for first 17-25 minutes. Edina's team defense is the best I can remember on a hornet squad.
Last edited by DadsMoney on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Have to cheer for section 8 and the north and have to cheer against Edina.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I think this one will be close and could go either but think the Hornets win, it’ll be a close game but Edina wins with an empty netter.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Moorhead is really hot at the end of the year. I think they can beat Edina. Keep it close, win 3-2...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

DadsMoney wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:03 am Edina 4
Moorhead 1

May be close for first 17-25 minutes. Edina's team defense is the best I can remember on a hornet squad.
They seemed to have some issues around the holiday time, but it seems as if they’ve fixed whatver was missing, or found the right mix or combos or whatever.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I think Moorhead could keep this close for a period or two, but I see Edina running away with this at the end. 5-2, Hornets.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

4-3 Moorhead. Just too much depth to be denied. Chip on their shoulder after not getting seeded.
6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy »

I saw Moorhead early in the season and Hornets late in the season, so it's not a great compare (since so much changes and the best teams ramp into the Tourney). Moorhaed does have some impacftul players but won't crack the Hornet depth at D, and won't be able to contain the explosive scoring surges from the top 2 forward sets (maybe for a period or two like BSM did).
I think the Hornets blow out the Spud team I saw in December. Assuming the Spuds improved and are ramping into Tourney, I still say Edina by 2-3 goals.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Edina will cruise.....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

I am not a big Moorhead fan, but against Edina I am. Moorhead can make it to the final and then lose and all will be well in the world! :)
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

10 year anniversary of the 5-2 upset. Interesting reading all the notes & recollections from people on the Moorhead side. Not surprising that there isn't much said from the Edina side.

I am curious if people see Moorhead as winning this game purely based on they think Moorhead will win, or the fact that it happened 10 years ago.

Upsets can happen....upsets more than likely WILL happen this weekend...

But I see the script flipped from 10 years ago. A game where Edina will be in control, but Moorhead hanging around, causing the chance for that one play or bounce to be possible. But in the end, Edina with an ENG.

Edina 5
Moorhead 2
LetMeEatCake

Post by LetMeEatCake »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 am 10 year anniversary of the 5-2 upset. Interesting reading all the notes & recollections from people on the Moorhead side. Not surprising that there isn't much said from the Edina side.
That last part is accurate. Being an Edina grad, that game stings. It was the first year I had followed the team (I am younger) and was crushed to see that happen. I had no idea how it happened at the time, but rooted hard for the Spuds when they went to face EP in the finals.
I can have my cake and eat it too.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

https://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/9 ... over-Edina

"Former Moorhead hockey players relive all the stories from the 2009 win over Edina"

"The plan for Morinville was to make the game a track meet. He used 11 forwards, knowing Edina would rely heavily on its top line. Kostich said Moorhead's practice the Monday before the game was the toughest skate they ever had. Morinville said Edina head coach Curt Giles talked to him at a banquet later and told Morinville his philosophy changed with coaching after that game.

Giles, still Edina's head coach, could not be reached for comment.

"You learn through the process what it takes to compete — how many players it takes and what types of players," Giles said in a recent Star Tribune story."

I definitely think this is true, although I think Giles' philosophy changed after they lost to Hill-Murray in 2008 when his top line was absolutely gassed & a team known for its skating was stuck in mud compared to the much deeper Pioneers. Guessing this game reaffirmed it, although this team also still had some D-I players in Taft, Sit & Fogarty (albeit the last two being younger sophomores). Moorhead deserved to win this game in 2009.

Winning 3 in 3 days definitely takes a full team...
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pmWinning 3 in 3 days definitely takes a full team...
Ding ding! I almost started a "3 games in 3 days" thread. It matters. Watching all 12 games in the Hockey For Life tournament it was evident how some teams had less in the tank on Day 3. Ideally you'll have top players and depth. If I could only have one I'd take the latter.
Be kind. Rewind.
green4

Post by green4 »

4-2 Final

I thought the Edina D did pretty well keeping Moorhead to the outside, closing gaps and using their sticks. I thought Edina was trying to force some passes offensively, especially on the powerplay. Malmquist I thought was Edina's best player tonight. Real quick and smart with the puck.
Moorhead came on strong after that second goal, and Hogg made a big save to keep it 3-2, but he probably should not have let in that second goal in the first place. Looking back on this game Moorhead probably looks at the bad penalties they took as a deciding factor. The one where they ran the goalie and the two away from the puck you had to wonder what they were thinking. I think the physical play was smart, because the smaller Edina forwards struggled with that, but just too many penalties.