Biondi gone?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier2

Re: Biondi gone?

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am

While his development would certainly accelerate at the NTDP, this kid will be a great player for UMD even if he stays in HS.

The draw, of course, is a very solid chance to win a state title while staying at home and spending senior year with your friends. Cathedral does return a ton, but Hermantown brings back their top scorers and will add a bantam group that is ranked higher than the St. Cloud bantams, of which not all the best players may even go to Cathedral.

Biondi, Pierce, and (insert player here) will be one of the best, if not the best, line in the state next year. Shades of the Miller-Hain-McLaughlin line that brought GR a AA title.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am

USA218 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
Isn't Biondi a first round pick of Sioux City? Has he played there at all this spring? Hard to imagine he wouldn't be playing with them or NTDP right now. I don't see how another year at Hermantown helps him in any way developmentally versus moving on. IMO, he would greatly benefit playing at the next level (same as Brink this year).
Agree. He should move on in his development.
That HS level is not a challenge for him at all.
Another year of HS is not the answer for this kid.

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am
USA218 wrote:
Isn't Biondi a first round pick of Sioux City? Has he played there at all this spring? Hard to imagine he wouldn't be playing with them or NTDP right now. I don't see how another year at Hermantown helps him in any way developmentally versus moving on. IMO, he would greatly benefit playing at the next level (same as Brink this year).
I think sometimes there is more to it than just development. I think there is more evidence now than ever before that there is no right way to do it. Kids with enough talent will develop fine if they stay. You only get to be in high school once. For some of these kids, giving that up matters more than their hockey career. In the long run, the reality is only a couple of these kids will likely have pro careers.

It would be interesting if you were to talk to a wide swathe of kids that left early whether it was worth it in the long run, I'm sure you would get a mixed bag. Usually, we only hear from the kids that make it so I think it gets skewed in one direction. Now that a lot of these kids can play Elite league in the fall, HS league in the winter, and USHL/NAHL in the spring, it really allows them to play a lot of hockey and stay in HS.

If Biondi wants to go to develop, so be it. But if he wants to stay, let him stay. I'm not willing to say he should do anything.

jdh

Post by jdh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm

kniven wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:00 pm
This Hermantown puckster is total class just like Coach Andrews. And those Hermantown fans that put up that suite for Greenway. It seems like the AD is a bad seed in the middle of all the fine folks in Hermantown.
Can you inform me about the fans that " put up the suite for Greenway""? What was that all about?

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm

[/quote]

I think sometimes there is more to it than just development. I think there is more evidence now than ever before that there is no right way to do it. Kids with enough talent will develop fine if they stay. You only get to be in high school once. For some of these kids, giving that up matters more than their hockey career. In the long run, the reality is only a couple of these kids will likely have pro careers.

It would be interesting if you were to talk to a wide swathe of kids that left early whether it was worth it in the long run, I'm sure you would get a mixed bag. Usually, we only hear from the kids that make it so I think it gets skewed in one direction. Now that a lot of these kids can play Elite league in the fall, HS league in the winter, and USHL/NAHL in the spring, it really allows them to play a lot of hockey and stay in HS.

[/quote]

Think a lot of it would be positive for those who it worked out for, probably a lot of negative for those it didn't. Seen a lot of kids leave and fail, guys who many thought were "sure things". It's different and each kids mental make up, work ethic, family, etc. all play huge roles. For many talent has carried them, but struggle when faced with other talent that out works them. So many variables...

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:25 pm

WBLPuck99 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am
USA218 wrote:

If Biondi wants to go to develop, so be it. But if he wants to stay, let him stay. I'm not willing to say he should do anything.
Nothing was mentioned about "making it".
Kid is ready for NTDP or USHL in order to progress into UMD in 2020. It is that simple.
All for a kid staying in HS and if this talented young man was slated for UMD in 2021, HS is an okay option.
I am of the opinion that junior (minimum 1 year) is best for preparing for college level hockey.
NOT HS hockey + Elite league and or a before and after in junior.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:57 pm

USA218 wrote:
He's on the roster and stats show two games played, but not sure if that's now or if he played two games in the fall? I think most would agree with you that another year at Hermantown isn't going to help him as far as Hockey Development. Neal Pionk realized that and left early for Sioux City. Obviously worked out great for him. But there's more to it than that. Some kids aren't ready to leave home at that age and can use another year with their friends and familiar surroundings. He should be fine either way, but if he stays I hope he plays at least one year of Juniors. Very few kids can go straight to D1 out of High School. All of us Bulldog fans saw that first hand with Tufte.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:10 pm

jdh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm
kniven wrote:
This Hermantown puckster is total class just like Coach Andrews. And those Hermantown fans that put up that suite for Greenway. It seems like the AD is a bad seed in the middle of all the fine folks in Hermantown.
Can you inform me about the fans that " put up the suite for Greenway""? What was that all about?
Greenway's Donte Lawson has a brother that very recently received a kidney transplant. Doctors told the family that if the brother were to attend the tournament, a suite situation would be preferable (required?) because his immune system was still recovering from the transplant procedure and sitting in a suite would limit his interaction with folks. A "Hermantownian" heard about this and donated the use of a suite to the Lawson family.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:10 pm
jdh wrote:
kniven wrote:
Greenway's Donte Lawson has a brother that very recently received a kidney transplant. Doctors told the family that if the brother were to attend the tournament, a suite situation would be preferable (required?) because his immune system was still recovering from the transplant procedure and sitting in a suite would limit his interaction with folks. A "Hermantownian" heard about this and donated the use of a suite to the Lawson family.
Some very classy folks over in Hermantown no doubt about it.

jdh

Post by jdh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
jdh wrote:
kniven wrote:
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that fine deed. What a noble thing to do.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:56 am

HockeyonFire wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:41 am
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:10 pm
MWS, agree on Richels

Here is my own list as of right now

Blake Biondi Htown UMD Will likely leave
Jake Braccini Buffalo U of M
Matt Gleason CDH CC
Jonny Meiers EAG CC
Blake Mesenberg BSM Uncommitted
Zach Michaelis ELK Omaha
John Middlestadt EP U of M
G Pinoniemi HF SCSU
Rhett Pitlick Chaska U of M Will leave
Carson Richels BL Uncommitted
Nate Warner SCC U of M
The HF camp tells me Garrett Pinoniemi coming back. Wont know for sure until mid-summer. He is also the only HS player on the NHL Central Scouting list from this past season. https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_arti ... g-rankings
I would say from that list - it worked well for certain “early departures” - Brinkman, Sillianoff, Janicke, Francis, Brink, and Haider. Haven’t heard how Meyer from NB is doing. He was a late departure. Hard to say if Pinoniemi comes back. Would do well in juniors. Is there ever loyalty at Holy Family?

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 am

jdh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm
Duluthguy wrote:
jdh wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that fine deed. What a noble thing to do.
Agreed. Outstanding.

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am

Wait, did no one post that Blake was named captain for the upcoming season, all but confirming that he'll be back?

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:04 am

Also, big congrats to Blake for making the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky team!

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am
Wait, did no one post that Blake was named captain for the upcoming season, all but confirming that he'll be back?
I think it was reported somewhere, maybe not this thread. Sounds like other indicators show he is coming back, but being named captain definitely doesn’t always mean that.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:17 am

So. We have 2 very strong indicators leading the pack. Blake making this unbelievable and talented national development squad and being named captain of his high school hockey squad. Which one is 1 and which one is 2 on the accomplishment/indicator list.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am

I mean, not that it wasn’t already basically certain, but his making of the Hlinka team essentially assures that he is not going to the NTDP (USA Hockey intentionally sends non-NTDP kids to Hlinka to provide them international and nhl scouting exposure). There’s still the USHL route I suppose for him though.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am

kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:17 am
So. We have 2 very strong indicators leading the pack. Blake making this unbelievable and talented national development squad and being named captain of his high school hockey squad. Which one is 1 and which one is 2 on the accomplishment/indicator list.
ThatGuy62 is correct.The opportunity (sign a contract) to play U18 NTDP was (again) offered earlier this spring, but he did not accept the offer. Accordingly, that window has now closed. U18 Select Team is a tournament played exclusively by non NTDP players. He’s also not playing in the Elite League. Most likely he plays before and after for a USHL team and the HS season for Hermantown. Or he could play the entire year in the USHL, but I doubt that, since he could have played the entire year in the USHL (on the NTDP Team) along with playing in all their international tournaments. So he’s 90% back at Hermantown this year ☝️

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

hockey59 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am
kniven wrote:
ThatGuy62 is correct.The opportunity (sign a contract) to play U18 NTDP was (again) offered earlier this spring, but he did not accept the offer. Accordingly, that window has now closed. U18 Select Team is a tournament played exclusively by non NTDP players. He’s also not playing in the Elite League. Most likely he plays before and after for a USHL team and the HS season for Hermantown. Or he could play the entire year in the USHL, but I doubt that, since he could have played the entire year in the USHL (on the NTDP Team) along with playing in all their international tournaments. So he’s 90% back at Hermantown this year ☝️
Yes. To chase a Minnesota State High School Hockey A Championship with his boys he started on this path with playing Mites. Only in Minnesota would be young lad give all that opportunity up for a State Championship. Blake going for the rare 2 championship rings in 3 years

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 am

Best mshsl player in state next year ? very likely mr hockey winner? And one of top line Combos with Pierce

Should be a great A final against SCC who also has top talent . This game could be better than any of the AA games at the X next March?

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:12 pm

kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am
hockey59 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am
kniven wrote:
Yes. To chase a Minnesota State High School Hockey A Championship with his boys he started on this path with playing Mites. Only in Minnesota would be young lad give all that opportunity up for a State Championship. Blake going for the rare 2 championship rings in 3 years
When did he when his first championship?

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Sophomore year? Junior year lost to Greenway. Senior year looks good. He WILL win Mr. Hockey. Pierce full-time forward now.

Oh wait. Blake has never won a state tournament! Are the deep enough this year to beat SCC in the Ship? Goaltending?

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm

HT lost to Alexandria sophomore year. They haven’t won Class a State since 2017 😉

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:57 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm
HT lost to Alexandria sophomore year. They haven’t won Class a State since 2017 😉

With all due respect to the Hawks, my favorite A program in the state is Greenway, and it ain’t close. CEC and Greenway...absolutely!

BP

Post by BP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 pm

kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Sophomore year? Junior year lost to Greenway. Senior year looks good. He WILL win Mr. Hockey. Pierce full-time forward now.

Oh wait. Blake has never won a state tournament! Are the deep enough this year to beat SCC in the Ship? Goaltending?
It's funny because Pierce is playing D at the USA 17 camp.