2019 AA Tourney Team Facts - Edina v. Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

tezer13

2019 AA Tourney Team Facts - Edina v. Moorhead

Post by tezer13 »

Edina :
  • 33 AA Tourneys (2nd place in Appearances)
    91 GP (2nd place in GP)
    58-33 with 9 Titles (1st place in Wins)
    17-15 in QF
First Appearance: 1955, Last: 2018

Moorhead :
  • 16 AA Tourneys (11th)
    44 GP (11th)
    25-19 (11th)
    11-4 in QF
First Appearance: 1992, Last: 2017

Played Each Other 1 Time
2009 AA Quarter Moorhead 5 Edina 2

A couple things stood out here. One is that with the number of times they have been at State, they have only played once. I also was surprised at Edina's 17-15 record in the QF's, though they have turned over half of those into titles. Moorhead has a great 11-4 record in the QF's and have been to the finals 8 times, but they don't probably want to be reminded of that :)
DadsMoney

Re: 2019 AA Tourney Team Facts - Edina v. Moorhead

Post by DadsMoney »

*12 titles
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

RE Edina: It is kind of interesting comparing their records in the QF's compared to their success.

Funny thing is that the trend has improved. Giles is 8-3 in quarterfinals, having gone 6-1 since the '09 Moorhead loss, that one loss being in the last minute to eventual title winning Benilde. They've also won 4 consecutive QF's, with only one of those games being close ('15 vs. Bemidji). Perhaps that has more to do with seeding though than any recipe that Edina has found for QF games.

Before Giles, Bar Larson was 3-1 in QF's.

Don't know if a lot of this is explained because it happened in a one-class, 8 team tournament era.....but it probably is the only real blemish on Ikola's coaching resume.
green4

Post by green4 »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 am RE Edina: It is kind of interesting comparing their records in the QF's compared to their success.

Funny thing is that the trend has improved. Giles is 8-3 in quarterfinals, having gone 6-1 since the '09 Moorhead loss, that one loss being in the last minute to eventual title winning Benilde. They've also won 4 consecutive QF's, with only one of those games being close ('15 vs. Bemidji). Perhaps that has more to do with seeding though than any recipe that Edina has found for QF games.

Before Giles, Bar Larson was 3-1 in QF's.

Don't know if a lot of this is explained because it happened in a one-class, 8 team tournament era.....but it probably is the only real blemish on Ikola's coaching resume.
I mean, if you add Edina East to the equation, Ikola's numbers look a bit better. I believe in QF's Ikola went 4-1 during that stretch. That would make Ikola 10-12 in QF games. Not great but better than 6-11
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Good stuff, hoping is 2-2 after 2 tomorrow evening. Place will be rocking then.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

DadsMoney wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 am*12 titles
The stats stated are for Edina, not Edina East. This is the same for White Bear, the stats for Mariner were excluded because it was a different school. 😜
green4

Post by green4 »

kpryan88 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am
The stats stated are for Edina, not Edina East. This is the same for White Bear, the stats for Mariner were excluded because it was a different school. 😜

Isn’t the difference here that White Bear and Mariner started as two separate high schools and then merged? I am not up to speed on White Bear history but correct me if I’m wrong.
With Edina, they had one high school and then added West when they had a ton of kids. Edina East was in the exact same building, had the same coach and was still known as the hornets. They then merged back together after enrollment dropped. In my opinion, It wasn’t really a separate school, but more that it was the same school where they took half the kids out.
If Edina West won a championship I wouldn’t count that because that was the new school. But that’s just my opinion. Doesn’t really matter either way you count it
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

I’ve seen that goal before.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

green4 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am
kpryan88 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am

Isn’t the difference here that White Bear and Mariner started as two separate high schools and then merged? I am not up to speed on White Bear history but correct me if I’m wrong.
With Edina, they had one high school and then added West when they had a ton of kids. Edina East was in the exact same building, had the same coach and was still known as the hornets. They then merged back together after enrollment dropped. In my opinion, It wasn’t really a separate school, but more that it was the same school where they took half the kids out.
If Edina West won a championship I wouldn’t count that because that was the new school. But that’s just my opinion. Doesn’t really matter either way you count it
Rochester High School became John Marshall in 1958 (I think). Mayo didn’t open until about 1965. For many years the MSHSL counted Rochester High and John Marshall as the same school, which they are, and then for some reason they started counting them as different schools and still do today.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

who is this charlie announcer, my god.. its painful
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

I know Edina likes to include all their schools together and even have the broadcasters buying into it now :)

But I am loading this from a database and it distinguishes and says Edina East is not equal to Edina or Edina West, sorry. :)

In Duluth who gets Central's state tourney appearances? East or Denfeld?
DadsMoney

Post by DadsMoney »

tezer13 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:14 am
I know Edina likes to include all their schools together and even have the broadcasters buying into it now :)

But I am loading this from a database and it distinguishes and says Edina East is not equal to Edina or Edina West, sorry. :)

In Duluth who gets Central's state tourney appearances? East or Denfeld?
Your "database" must be the same one providing fake news to CNN and the Washington Post. :lol: