East Grand Forks vs St. Cloud Cathedral

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Grand Forks vs St. Cloud Cathedral - Who wins

EGF
26%
SCC
74%

Total votes: 23

Eastgreaser

Re: East Grand Forks vs St. Cloud Cathedral

Post by Eastgreaser »

Didn’t SCC beat EGF in the state tourney 2 years ago also? They might not have the best track record but they also had drawn from an area of over 200,000
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

EGF comes from a metro area of good size as well. I highly doubt St. Cloud is 200,000, Rochester is about double the size of St. Cloud and the area is generally agreed at around 120,000. Maybe if you include Austin, Owatonna, Winona, and Faribault you get to 200,000.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

TTpuckster wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm Relax all.
I am a Green Wave fan all the way.
But SCC just had a better team this year.
EGF came out of the gate this season looking mostly unbeatable but they seemed to change their intensity after the January 1st.
Elliott, when we saw them at Bemidji in December, they were running a very intense forecheck, right?

But that is another story.

EGF and SCC started a scheduling each other starting in the 2012/2013 season.
Here are the scores and venues since then:

2012/2013: EGF 4 - 0 SCC at SCC
2013/2014: EGF 3 - 1 SCC at EGF
2014/2015: EGF 6 - 2 SCC at SCC
2015/2016: EGF 4 - 3 SCC at EGF
2016/2017: EGF 4 - 4 SCC at SCC
2017/2018: EGF 5 - 1 SCC at EGF
2018/2019: EGF 2 - 7 SCC at SCC

Record EGF 5 wins, 1 loss, and 1 tie.
Total goals scored: EGF 28, SCC 18

EGF has had the better of it in 7 games.

I am not trying to brag up EGF, (well maybe a little :mrgreen: )

Just pointing out that SCC is just fine where they are.
Just a very good team this year.

Now if they continue like this year for several more years well...........
Interesting stats, which pretty much shoots down any argument that SCC should move up, only because they have an outstanding group moving through this year and next. And it's further evidence that people object to private schools, but only when they happen to be good.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Relax People. Perky is having a really bad couple of years. He's lost every debate he's entered into since 2012, but he keeps on fightin, so you have to give him credit for that, right?

Cathedral has never won anything. And the 200,000 population comment??? Not even close and St. Cloud doesn't have anywhere near the number of Hockey Players to recruit that Hermantown has. Cathedral might have more kids on the team from one city, (St. Cloud) than Hermantown has, (Hibbing, Ely, Hayward, Proctor, Duluth)

Cathedral deserves the opportunity to have success to see if they use that success to move on to bigger and better things. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But Hermantown has wasted every opportunity that they've ever been given, so you can't compare the two. Hermantown can grab any player, from anywhere, they can go there for free, and they will even send a bus to pick you up. Cathedral Families have to make a pretty substantial financial committment from a pretty small group of kids. It's unpredictable and most likely unsubstainable. But if they went to State for nine years in a row? They would move up just like any program in the world would move up, except of course, for Hermantown.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:21 pm EGF comes from a metro area of good size as well. I highly doubt St. Cloud is 200,000, Rochester is about double the size of St. Cloud and the area is generally agreed at around 120,000. Maybe if you include Austin, Owatonna, Winona, and Faribault you get to 200,000.
I haven't looked at metro areas for St. Cloud and EGF, but it is not comparable.
There are several towns around St. Cloud including Waite Park, Sauk Rapids, Sartell, etc.
All within easy driving distance.
Not so with EGF/GF.
In Minnesota, there is EGF then, pretty much nothing.
Also, GF is in North Dakota, and there has been very little to no players moving across the river.
So, the size of the draw for EGF is mostly just EGF.
Not so for SCC.
Now that being said, I believe that EGF has a very strong youth program and will continue to be strong each year.
As mentioned earlier, we will see how SCC develops long term.
If they continue to be this strong, well, it is obviously up to them if they want to move up or not.
Nuff said!!
What is a Green Wave anyway?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Jobs! Grand Forks offers jobs!
You can live in EGF and work in GF, same as with Hermantown and Duluth or even Luverne and Sioux Falls, or any metro class A team. Stop with the poor us in EGF. You are not Marshall, Fairmont, Ely, or dozens of other class A programs in terms of size or resources.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:39 pm Jobs! Grand Forks offers jobs!
You can live in EGF and work in GF, same as with Hermantown and Duluth or even Luverne and Sioux Falls, or any metro class A team. Stop with the poor us in EGF. You are not Marshall, Fairmont, Ely, or dozens of other class A programs in terms of size or resources.
You know not of what you speak goldylocks.
EGF is a very nice town, but it has not grown much over the years and the enrollment at EGF senior high has not grown much either.
GF is not a big draw for EGF in terms of population or school enrollment.
There is no poor me in EGF and, as I said, they will continue to have good teams and maybe another state championship once in a while, ( I hope), as small towns tend to do.
Yes, those towns listed are smaller, relatively speaking, but small towns can rise up at times like Luverne did etc.
The earlier comments in here were about SCC needing to move up which, at this time, I do not agree with. So, again, relax.
What is a Green Wave anyway?