St. Thomas Academy vs Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

St. Thomas Academy vs Edina - Who wins?

STA
13%
Edina
88%

Total votes: 24

goldy313

Re: St. Thomas Academy vs Edina

Post by goldy313 »

That guy for that thing wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 pm I know that it's easy to blame the refs, but they do have a difficult job. I guarantee all of you that you would not be able to do the job they do in this situation.

With that in mind, it has been really inconsistent and frustrating. There were a few hits in this game that would have been penalties yesterday evening. Plus tons of cheap stick work imo.
No, I officiate football and have for over 20 years. I did hockey from 1989 until about 2005 save 3 years I spent in the Army. The process they use for selecting officials is broken. This isn’t sour grapes, by November I have usually officiated around 30-40 football games at all levels and am done. In hockey I did section championships. Getting state tournaments is largely a dog and pony show. The MSHSL has enough resources to evaluate officials but they don’t. When your state tournament evaluation comes from a STA vs. North St. Paul game are you really getting an honest evaluation? Yet this is the system under which we operate. It is a broken system where who are trumps ability sand competence.

This is probably a topic worthy of its own discussion, I hijacked a bit.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 pmThis is probably a topic worthy of its own discussion, I hijacked a bit.
You're on a roll. I had no idea this was an issue. Definitely topical since both AA semis had people commenting about calls.
Be kind. Rewind.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 pm
That guy for that thing wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 pm I know that it's easy to blame the refs, but they do have a difficult job. I guarantee all of you that you would not be able to do the job they do in this situation.

With that in mind, it has been really inconsistent and frustrating. There were a few hits in this game that would have been penalties yesterday evening. Plus tons of cheap stick work imo.
No, I officiate football and have for over 20 years. I did hockey from 1989 until about 2005 save 3 years I spent in the Army. The process they use for selecting officials is broken. This isn’t sour grapes, by November I have usually officiated around 30-40 football games at all levels and am done. In hockey I did section championships. Getting state tournaments is largely a dog and pony show. The MSHSL has enough resources to evaluate officials but they don’t. When your state tournament evaluation comes from a STA vs. North St. Paul game are you really getting an honest evaluation? Yet this is the system under which we operate. It is a broken system where who are trumps ability sand competence.

This is probably a topic worthy of its own discussion, I hijacked a bit.
I think it would be a worthwhile off season discussion.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

This game really turned when Edina turned it into a shooting gallery late in the first. In early stages I thought STA might do enough to stick around, and obviously they did a good job late of dialing up the pressure and making it somewhat close. But they had that stretch where Edina just took over, which in part was a testament to Edina's talent and in part a case of STA caving and packing it in.

One other comment: STA's student section in this one was the most entertaining one I've seen in years. They were genuinely original, and the invitation to one of the upper deck sections to come down and join them--which they did, or at least tried to do--was pretty funny. The Tourney needs more of that.