2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Late change that could have a big impact...
Rob McClanahan elevated to interim head coach at Blake after Greg May takes director of operations gig with Gophers.

WestMetro
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Huge ! Based on Blake press release , they won’t conclude replacement search til April so looks like R Mc will be there all season.

This is Bears year! - will he be a net positive or neutral vs May ?

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am

Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:11 am

Not HC related, but Rogers has former Gopher Jake Parenteau joining as an assistant to Brown

BP
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by BP » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am

Grand Rapids added.

gopherpuck516
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:05 pm

BP wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am
Grand Rapids added.
That’s an awful late coaching departure, any news on this?

Goose21
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Goose21 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:05 pm
BP wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am
Grand Rapids added.
That’s an awful late coaching departure, any news on this?
Check out the 7AA thread. It is being discussed there.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:25 pm

OldManRiver wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 am
Seeing on Twitter...wondering if anyone can confirm that Steffen has stepped down from his coaching spot at Spring Lake Park?
Spring Lake Park has a boys hockey team???

HolyGrail
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by HolyGrail » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am
Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:02 pm

HolyGrail wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am
Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.
One of the best Hockey coaches in the State and a guy who can turn around a Program in a hurry. He's also working with their Youth Program and will be involved with running the Summer High School Program in June-July. With the school owning their Arena, he will have as much ice as he wants. I think it's a better than even bet we will see him as the Head Coach in the future. This is very good news for the Rails. It would be great to see that Program get back to where they once were.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:02 pm
HolyGrail wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am
Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.
One of the best Hockey coaches in the State and a guy who can turn around a Program in a hurry. He's also working with their Youth Program and will be involved with running the Summer High School Program in June-July. With the school owning their Arena, he will have as much ice as he wants. I think it's a better than even bet we will see him as the Head Coach in the future. This is very good news for the Rails. It would be great to see that Program get back to where they once were.
This move tells me that Hermantown hockey is a forest fire right now. Hermantown looking for a new coach in the near future? Bring Plante back. Anywho....a great move for Proctor hockey. I think it’s absolutely wonderful news 👍. And Proctor comes to Cloquet for the first game of the season this year 🤓
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

HolyGrail
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by HolyGrail » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:02 pm
HolyGrail wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 am
Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.
One of the best Hockey coaches in the State and a guy who can turn around a Program in a hurry. He's also working with their Youth Program and will be involved with running the Summer High School Program in June-July. With the school owning their Arena, he will have as much ice as he wants. I think it's a better than even bet we will see him as the Head Coach in the future. This is very good news for the Rails. It would be great to see that Program get back to where they once were.
Last edited by HolyGrail on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dog
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Dog » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am

Scott Pionk has been a great mentor to kids in programs other than where his kids have been at for years now. He has done it quietly and without fanfare, helping some of these kids move on to the next level. He's straight forward and honest (even with the talent level of where his own kids have been at).
I can't state strongly enough how Scott has been an ambassador for northern kids and northern hockey. Besides being a good person, he's a good "hockey guy". He says things sometimes that possibly aren't received well by some but it's only because he believes it's the right thing for the benefit of ALL hockey in the area. Him and his family are an all-around class act.
Even though this news will challenge my association, I'm happy for Proctor. This news is a positive for the growth and strength of Northern MN hockey.

InThePipes
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by InThePipes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am

Griswold leaving Holy Angles reported by YHH

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am

InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am
Griswold leaving Holy Angles reported by YHH
Any word on why? Timing seems.... odd.

Zamman
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:15 pm
Location: Edina

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Zamman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am

This upsets me just as my team was turning the corner. I just hope that this does not disrupt the program, got to be tough for the players.
GO STARS

thefatcat
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by thefatcat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am
InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am
Griswold leaving Holy Angles reported by YHH
Any word on why? Timing seems.... odd.

Because the pitchfork brigade went to admin as they were pissed that he cut their kids and kept 4 freshman whom were recruited.

Slapper Al
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Slapper Al » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Hearing that Griswold might not be done. That would be great news if true. He is one of the good guys.

InThePipes
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by InThePipes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am
InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am
Griswold leaving Holy Angles reported by YHH
Any word on why? Timing seems.... odd.

Because the pitchfork brigade went to admin as they were pissed that he cut their kids and kept 4 freshman whom were recruited.
:roll:

ironranger2
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am
InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am
Griswold leaving Holy Angles reported by YHH
Any word on why? Timing seems.... odd.

Because the pitchfork brigade went to admin as they were pissed that he cut their kids and kept 4 freshman whom were recruited.
Isn't that what private school coaches are supposed to do?

Zamman
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:15 pm
Location: Edina

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Zamman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm

I just got the word he may not be done also. More to come.
As far as four freshman recruited. Do you know that a lot of Freshman at all privare schools are recruited? that is how their student body is made up. Besides if this is true and someone was cut, maybe just maybe they were not good enough to make this team. Isn't the coaches responsibility to put the right team on the filed of play? Seems other teams have cut seniors before. Just saying. A recruited player is an upperclassmen who comes in for one year or two. Like other schools have done PUBLIC or private.

thefatcat
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by thefatcat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Zamman wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm
I just got the word he may not be done also. More to come.
As far as four freshman recruited. Do you know that a lot of Freshman at all privare schools are recruited? that is how their student body is made up. Besides if this is true and someone was cut, maybe just maybe they were not good enough to make this team. Isn't the coaches responsibility to put the right team on the filed of play? Seems other teams have cut seniors before. Just saying. A recruited player is an upperclassmen who comes in for one year or two. Like other schools have done PUBLIC or private.
Um...yes...I do know how privates work? My kid attends a private and he played U16 with two of the freshman in question last summer. I'm just relaying what I've heard, no need for anyone to shoot the messenger.

Slap Shot
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 am

Do you know that a lot of Freshman at all privare schools are recruited? that is how their student body is made up.
Yes it happens and no should be naive to think it doesn't, but because of it privates should be forced into 1 section. Add Eden Prairie while you're at it. :mrgreen:

MNSportsRube
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by MNSportsRube » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 am

Nowadays it seems like public schools have more of the upper hand when it comes to "recruiting" players. They have a youth program that funnels kids to their HS program AND they can encourage players to open enroll at their school. Seems to me public schools have the advantage...

Slap Shot
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Changes List

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm

MNSportsRube wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 am
Nowadays it seems like public schools have more of the upper hand when it comes to "recruiting" players. They have a youth program that funnels kids to their HS program AND they can encourage players to open enroll at their school. Seems to me public schools have the advantage...
A youth program that "funnels" to the varsity is a natural progression and immaterial to recruiting, and every student in a private is essentially open enrolled.

Someone send the above to Common Man as a PSOTY candidate.

Post Reply