Early Departures 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm
Something I don't mind being wrong about.
That's not to say kids don't leave or that some communities aren't forever impacted. We're not in the 80s/90s era.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player                HS Team              New Team           College
So    F   Justin Janicke        Maple Grove          NTDP               Notre Dame
So    F   Maddox Fleming        Rochester Mayo       Shattuck
Jr    F   Jacob Jeannette       Duluth East          Waterloo-USHL
Sr    F   Tyler McGillivary     Duluth East          Des Moines AAA
Sr    F   Logan Anderson        Duluth East          Des Moines-USHL
Sr    F   Rhett Pitlick         Chaska               Omaha-USHL         Minnesota
Jr    G   Jack Stark            Chaska               Sioux Falls U16
Is Exiled One okay? I love that he usually updates this on the first post each year.

Michaelis & Humphrey won't be at Elk River for their senior season. Did we get an answer on Flammang & Laylin? I don't recall reading where they are playing and don't think I saw their names in Elite League.
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:15 am

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 pm
The Exiled One wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player                HS Team              New Team           College
So    F   Justin Janicke        Maple Grove          NTDP               Notre Dame
So    F   Maddox Fleming        Rochester Mayo       Shattuck
Jr    F   Jacob Jeannette       Duluth East          Waterloo-USHL
Sr    F   Tyler McGillivary     Duluth East          Des Moines AAA
Sr    F   Logan Anderson        Duluth East          Des Moines-USHL
Sr    F   Rhett Pitlick         Chaska               Omaha-USHL         Minnesota
Jr    G   Jack Stark            Chaska               Sioux Falls U16
Is Exiled One okay? I love that he usually updates this on the first post each year.

Michaelis & Humphrey won't be at Elk River for their senior season. Did we get an answer on Flammang & Laylin? I don't recall reading where they are playing and don't think I saw their names in Elite League.
I've heard before/after

BP
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by BP » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 pm
The Exiled One wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player                HS Team              New Team           College
So    F   Justin Janicke        Maple Grove          NTDP               Notre Dame
So    F   Maddox Fleming        Rochester Mayo       Shattuck
Jr    F   Jacob Jeannette       Duluth East          Waterloo-USHL
Sr    F   Tyler McGillivary     Duluth East          Des Moines AAA
Sr    F   Logan Anderson        Duluth East          Des Moines-USHL
Sr    F   Rhett Pitlick         Chaska               Omaha-USHL         Minnesota
Jr    G   Jack Stark            Chaska               Sioux Falls U16
Is Exiled One okay? I love that he usually updates this on the first post each year.

Michaelis & Humphrey won't be at Elk River for their senior season. Did we get an answer on Flammang & Laylin? I don't recall reading where they are playing and don't think I saw their names in Elite League.
Laylin is playing with Magicians. Not sure on Flammang.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 am

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 pm
Is Exiled One okay? I love that he usually updates this on the first post each year.
Sorry, been busy. Added a bunch. Let me know who I missed.

blueline_6
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by blueline_6 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am

kniven wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm
Confirming early posts that Humphrey will join
Michaelis as Elk early depart
That’s too bad. What kind of team the Elks going to have this year? 5-8 seed or possible 3/4 seed. How was the kids leaving early numbers before the latest coach took over.
In this three years as head coach Gustafson hasn't lost kids early at any higher rate than Roberts did before him. In Gordie's four years he lost Blake Hillman, Andrew Zerban and Matt Kiersted. Gustafson so far has only lost Jack Perbix (last year), with Michaelis and Humphrey this coming season would make it 3 kids in 4 years.

goldy313
Posts: 3510
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by goldy313 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:15 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 pm
goldy313 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 pm
There are lots of research showing how a student leaving high school a semester early to participate in spring practice shows more harm than good. Phillip Nelson may be the poster child of this in Minnesota high school football. When you get to hockey most of the “research” comes from USA hockey which is administratively biased against the MSHSL. And of course biased to their leagues.

As for Duluth East, one year is not a trend. Nor is two or even three. Playing I. St Paul in March is far better than playing a NH3HL, or for the most part in NAHL team.
LL
A
Apples and oranges.

Don’t compare NA3 and the NAHL. The latter is a pay for play league. 1 in 500 will play D1 hockey. In the NAHL - it’s common to see 3-6 or more D1 commits and the rest play D3 hockey. As a Magicians fan - they consistently have 6-10 D1 kids every year. Last 3 goalies were nhl draft picks. There is no fees to play in the NAHL. On certain teams - less revenue squads - players pay $200 month billet fees.

Compare it to the BCHL. THE AJHL and SJHL are also similar.

The USHL is the only league on its own where players don’t pay anything for ANYTHING. All gear is included. Billet fees paid by team. A lot more revenue than the NAHL and anywhere else.

I saw a ton of NHL scouts / and D1 guys at Magician games this year. Only a few at Blaine games presumably to only see Brodzinski.

My two cents
[/quot
Your two cents? A ton would be, what 2,000. My guess is there wasn’t 20 legitimate paid NHL scouts, in fact in might be closer to 2. Most NHL teams had a legit scout to watch Brodzinski.

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by O-townClown » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 am

Goldy, a ton is a unit of weight. A ton of NHL scouts is approximately 19, not 2,000. LOL
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by InThePipes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:53 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 am
Goldy, a ton is a unit of weight. A ton of NHL scouts is approximately 19, not 2,000. LOL
Are you talking about a horse jockey or NHL scout? Probably more like 8-9 NHL scouts :lol:

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by O-townClown » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Flammang showing on Blizzard protected list. Now in St. Cloud this season.

Unclear on all the protected lists is whether or not the Minnesota HS kids playing Junior hockey are planning on before/after.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:21 pm

OTC- wont know for sure til November on several of the kids.

Oberle saying at present will be before and after; but if things go well, who knows.

Dog
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by Dog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Heard this weekend that Erickson is leaving early from East also? Does anybody know if this is true?

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Dog wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 pm
Heard this weekend that Erickson is leaving early from East also? Does anybody know if this is true?

Senior, right?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by MWS coach » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 pm

blueline_6 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm
Confirming early posts that Humphrey will join
Michaelis as Elk early depart
That’s too bad. What kind of team the Elks going to have this year? 5-8 seed or possible 3/4 seed. How was the kids leaving early numbers before the latest coach took over.
In this three years as head coach Gustafson hasn't lost kids early at any higher rate than Roberts did before him. In Gordie's four years he lost Blake Hillman, Andrew Zerban and Matt Kiersted. Gustafson so far has only lost Jack Perbix (last year), with Michaelis and Humphrey this coming season would make it 3 kids in 4 years.
This isn't quite accurate, look a little deeper and you might find a couple more....

blueline_6
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by blueline_6 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 am

MWS coach wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 pm
blueline_6 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm


That’s too bad. What kind of team the Elks going to have this year? 5-8 seed or possible 3/4 seed. How was the kids leaving early numbers before the latest coach took over.
In this three years as head coach Gustafson hasn't lost kids early at any higher rate than Roberts did before him. In Gordie's four years he lost Blake Hillman, Andrew Zerban and Matt Kiersted. Gustafson so far has only lost Jack Perbix (last year), with Michaelis and Humphrey this coming season would make it 3 kids in 4 years.
This isn't quite accurate, look a little deeper and you might find a couple more....
I was only accounting for kids who left early to play juniors, not kids who left for Jr Gold, moved out of Elk River, or quit playing hockey.

Usthockey13
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am

I saw over the weekend Jeannette isn’t on Waterloo’s 30 man roster. He was listed on the affiliated list

Usthockey13
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 am

Dog wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 pm
Heard this weekend that Erickson is leaving early from East also? Does anybody know if this is true?

Yes he’s a senior and I don’t see him leaving early.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 am

Agreed
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

That guy for that thing
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: Hinckley

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by That guy for that thing » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:20 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am
I saw over the weekend Jeannette isn’t on Waterloo’s 30 man roster. He was listed on the affiliated list
I wonder what he is going to do. He wasn't picked up by an NAHL team. Think Randolph will take him back?

Usthockey13
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:26 am

Not sure what will happen but will be interesting to follow

BP
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by BP » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:51 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am
I saw over the weekend Jeannette isn’t on Waterloo’s 30 man roster. He was listed on the affiliated list
That counts as well. There were some '03 tenders on affiliate lists for other teams that will make it. This allows them to bring an extra guy into camp.

Usthockey13
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am

BP wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:51 am
Usthockey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am
I saw over the weekend Jeannette isn’t on Waterloo’s 30 man roster. He was listed on the affiliated list
That counts as well. There were some '03 tenders on affiliate lists for other teams that will make it. This allows them to bring an extra guy into camp.
Thanks wasn’t sure how that all works

WestMetro
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am

Hearing Erickson was at Wilderness camp, but didnt make roster

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 am

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am
Hearing Erickson was at Wilderness camp, but didnt make roster
That would be sweet if Jeanette was back at East for puck. And Logan as well. Those 3 would make a huge difference.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by MWS coach » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:16 am

blueline_6 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 am
MWS coach wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 pm
blueline_6 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am


In this three years as head coach Gustafson hasn't lost kids early at any higher rate than Roberts did before him. In Gordie's four years he lost Blake Hillman, Andrew Zerban and Matt Kiersted. Gustafson so far has only lost Jack Perbix (last year), with Michaelis and Humphrey this coming season would make it 3 kids in 4 years.
This isn't quite accurate, look a little deeper and you might find a couple more....
I was only accounting for kids who left early to play juniors, not kids who left for Jr Gold, moved out of Elk River, or quit playing hockey.
Ok, still not accurate.....

Post Reply