2019-2021 Section Assignments

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheMNhockey1
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by TheMNhockey1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:16 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Lastly, the Tartan situation is somewhat disconcerting in that they are a team with only two seasons below .500 since their back-to-back state appearances in 2004 and 2005. They had 18 wins in 2016-17 and 17 the next season, making the 4AA semifinals both years. That is not a team struggling to compete at the level their enrollment would dictate.
idk if this means anything when opting down but they did only have 40 bantam players last year and 32 peewees. Youth numbers seem to be shrinking every year. But as for their record almost all their non conference games have been against A teams or other bottom AA teams for the last 10ish years at least and their conference outside of Hill and STA isn't great. But they've definitely had a couple good seasons in that time.

Just throwing it out there

Stang5280
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:05 pm

TheMNhockey1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:16 am
Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Lastly, the Tartan situation is somewhat disconcerting in that they are a team with only two seasons below .500 since their back-to-back state appearances in 2004 and 2005. They had 18 wins in 2016-17 and 17 the next season, making the 4AA semifinals both years. That is not a team struggling to compete at the level their enrollment would dictate.
idk if this means anything when opting down but they did only have 40 bantam players last year and 32 peewees. Youth numbers seem to be shrinking every year. But as for their record almost all their non conference games have been against A teams or other bottom AA teams for the last 10ish years at least and their conference outside of Hill and STA isn't great. But they've definitely had a couple good seasons in that time.

Just throwing it out there
Yeah, I realize the win totals weren’t against the greatest competition. Still, Tartan has been within 2 or 3 goals of HM and STA in most of their games, and took the Pioneers to OT in their quarterfinal game this year. 4A is pretty much Mahtomedi’s section to lose for the foreseeable future, but I imagine Tartan should be able to compete with nearly everyone else in the section.

I likewise have no idea if the MSHSL considers youth numbers, but it certainly is a relevant point you bring up regarding the future of the program.

goldy313
Posts: 3615
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Tartan was one of the smallest AA schools in the last cycle, about 100 students above the cutoff. Looking at the schools below them and knowing Northfield moved up it is entirely possible Tartan is in class A by enrollment.

goldy313
Posts: 3615
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:34 pm

GopherHockey wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm
cjmhockey19 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:09 pm
The MSHSL has made it very clear they dont care about competitive balance they care about GEOGRAPHICAL balance.
Then how in the hell do they split up Lakeville North and South?

Geographically it makes some sense, I can hit a golf ball from South into a cornfield. 1AA is a SE Section, largely “rural”. You can make a pretty good argument for every school in 1AA as being a non metro team aside from South now. Personally I would like to see New Prague moved into 1AA and South moved out to bring it back to a true non metro section, but that really screws up balance.

Lakeville High/ Lakeville North has been in every 1AA title game since 2005, 15 straight.

Look, Hastings should be really good next year, if Century can play a real AA schedule they could be a factor, and Owatonna returns a whole lot. It will be a competitive section, Hastings could be a top 10 team.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:46 am

TheMNhockey1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:16 am
Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Lastly, the Tartan situation is somewhat disconcerting in that they are a team with only two seasons below .500 since their back-to-back state appearances in 2004 and 2005. They had 18 wins in 2016-17 and 17 the next season, making the 4AA semifinals both years. That is not a team struggling to compete at the level their enrollment would dictate.
idk if this means anything when opting down but they did only have 40 bantam players last year and 32 peewees. Youth numbers seem to be shrinking every year. But as for their record almost all their non conference games have been against A teams or other bottom AA teams for the last 10ish years at least and their conference outside of Hill and STA isn't great. But they've definitely had a couple good seasons in that time.

Just throwing it out there
I always laugh when I see this. I don't know if we've ever had 40 bantams in our youth program. And we had 30 peewees this year and that is as many as I ever remember seeing.

BP
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by BP » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm
Tartan was one of the smallest AA schools in the last cycle, about 100 students above the cutoff. Looking at the schools below them and knowing Northfield moved up it is entirely possible Tartan is in class A by enrollment.
They elected to move down.

oldtimer64
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by oldtimer64 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Did Cretin stay in 6AA?

HockeyFan1969
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

Re: 2019-2021 Section Assignments

Post by HockeyFan1969 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am

oldtimer64 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm
Did Cretin stay in 6AA?
Yep.

Post Reply