Class A 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Class A 2019-2020

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Class A State Rankings
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Orono
4. East Grand Forks
5. Mahtomedi
6. Warroad
7. Alexandria
8. Delano
9. Greenway
10. North Branch

Section 7A
1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Eveleth
5. Denfeld
6. Hibbing
7. International Falls
8. Proctor
9. North Shore
10.Ely

Spots 2-5 will be very fluid throughout the season. Denfeld and Hibbing’s success will be dependent upon how quickly their bantam players develop.

MrBoDangles

Re: Class A 2019-2020

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Eveleth will be a team to watch for... I could actually see them pushing close to the top 10 next season.

North Branch's very young talent will be a year older and return one of the best goalies in the state imo.. They should be well into the top ten for the next two years, but will have to figure out a goalie after next year... hint... hint... :wink:

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm

I like the bold call on Orono, as they return nearly everyone. Delano graduates a ton from this year’s team, however. I like TRF quite a bit; they have a stacked senior class. 8A should be quite a dogfight again.

As a sleeper outside of the top ten, Little Falls should take over as the clear #3 in 6A. They were super young this year, while Sartell loses much of their roster.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm
I like the bold call on Orono, as they return nearly everyone. Delano graduates a ton from this year’s team, however. I like TRF quite a bit; they have a stacked senior class. 8A should be quite a dogfight again.

As a sleeper outside of the top ten, Little Falls should take over as the clear #3 in 6A. They were super young this year, while Sartell loses much of their roster.
East Grand Forks and Warroad bring in a ton of good bantams next year.
Ready for varsity??
I am not sure.

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Denfeld losing a ton. They will have 2 forwards and goalies. Period.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

TRF and Warroad should be really solid.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm
Class A State Rankings
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Orono
4. East Grand Forks
5. Mahtomedi
6. Warroad
7. Alexandria
8. Delano
9. Greenway
10. North Branch

Section 7A
1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Eveleth
5. Denfeld
6. Hibbing
7. International Falls
8. Proctor
9. North Shore
10.Ely

Spots 2-5 will be very fluid throughout the season. Denfeld and Hibbing’s success will be dependent upon how quickly their bantam players develop.
For 7A,

2. Greenway-top 5 players and goalie should be best in section
3. Eveleth-doesn't appear to lose much scoring at all, may have the depth to challenge Raiders' top end players
4. Virginia-have some nice returning pieces for a top line, but defense and goaltending are questions
5. Denfeld- loses a ton, but will bring in a solid bantam group.
6. Hibbing-healthy top players, sophomores getting tons of ice time this year, and a decent bantam group should make for a nice improvement next year

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am

6A

1. Cathedral - return a lot, and barring injuries or defections it is their section
2. Alex - graduates a great senior class, but will still be #2
3. Sartell - losing a lot of good seniors too.
4. Little Falls - Had some strong younger players who should only get better
5. River Lakes - will challenge Little Falls for 4
6. Fergus Falls - they are 4 years away from contending again
7. Prairie Center

Cathedral clear cut #1. Alex solid #2. 3-5 will be tighter than past years. after that it falls off pretty quick.

Looking at the youth programs- SCC pulls from everywhere. Alex has a huge wave of numbers for the foreseeable future compared to everyone else in the section and lots of pockets of high end talent. Sartell was down a bit at Bantams and Pee Wees but they still have strong numbers. Little Falls doesn't have the depth in overall numbers but always competes well at the A level of youth hockey. River Lakes has decent numbers and is slowly getting better at producing higher end talent. Fergus Falls has a gap of 4-5 years of lighter numbers, but I hear it is picking up at the younger ages. Those 6 teams seem pretty static in terms of the pecking order in this section due to the feeder programs.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Cathedral should be dominant next year.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am

zooomx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am
6A

1. Cathedral - return a lot, and barring injuries or defections it is their section
7. Prairie Center

Cathedral clear cut #1. Alex solid #2. 3-5 will be tighter than past years. after that it falls off pretty quick.

Looking at the youth programs- SCC pulls from everywhere. Alex has a huge wave of numbers for the foreseeable future compared to everyone else in the section and lots of pockets of high end talent. Sartell was down a bit at Bantams and Pee Wees but they still have strong numbers. Little Falls doesn't have the depth in overall numbers but always competes well at the A level of youth hockey. River Lakes has decent numbers and is slowly getting better at producing higher end talent. Fergus Falls has a gap of 4-5 years of lighter numbers, but I hear it is picking up at the younger ages. Those 6 teams seem pretty static in terms of the pecking order in this section due to the feeder programs.
Alexandria's Bantams are in the Bantam A State Tournament this weekend, so there should be some skill moving up next year. And you are correct, the numbers in Alexandria are strong for the next 10+ years, I would say. My son is a Sept 2010 and his age has 27 kids out for hockey. The next age group of mites above him is right around 30. Our neighbor kid is a year younger and his mite group has around 20 out for hockey, I believe.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am
zooomx wrote:
6A

7. Prairie Center

Alexandria's Bantams are in the Bantam A State Tournament this weekend, so there should be some skill moving up next year. And you are correct, the numbers in Alexandria are strong for the next 10+ years, I would say. My son is a Sept 2010 and his age has 27 kids out for hockey. The next age group of mites above him is right around 30. Our neighbor kid is a year younger and his mite group has around 20 out for hockey, I believe.
I think in 2006 when my kids started their were 200 skaters total in the youth program, when my last player moved on to high school in 2016 we were over 400. A fair amount of that growth was on the girls side, but still. I remember only having one bantam team less than 10 years ago. Now they have 3. About the same time some Mites were moved up so they could have 2 squirt teams. Now, they have 5 I think? Great growth.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am

zooomx wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am
BSUBeaver wrote:
zooomx wrote:
6A

7. Prairie Center

I think in 2006 when my kids started their were 200 skaters total in the youth program, when my last player moved on to high school in 2016 we were over 400. A fair amount of that growth was on the girls side, but still. I remember only having one bantam team less than 10 years ago. Now they have 3. About the same time some Mites were moved up so they could have 2 squirt teams. Now, they have 5 I think? Great growth.
LF Flyers should challenge for the #2 spot. If they don't it will be a disappointment. They should have depth to be able to put together 3 solid lines next season plus have a goalie that can win games.

Where is F3?

Post by Where is F3? » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

The rest of Section 6 will have to play the waiting game to see if the Cathedral guys stick around, until then the section is theirs. Don't forget, River Lakes has to petition again to play A.

If everything stays the same, this is what I would expect:
1. SCC
2. Alex
3. LF
4. Sartell
5. River Lakes
6. FF

BleedGreen5

Post by BleedGreen5 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm

EGF and Warroad will have much more depth, TRF goalie will make the games tight but TRF will struggle to put puck in net

Dog

Post by Dog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Northernlakes wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm
The 2 forwards returning were Denfelds leading scorers. Denfeld loses #3 & #4 leading scorers but gain at least 4 forwards coming up that can play and score. The forwards coming up are more complete that play far better both ways in forechecking and backchecking than what they lose. Lose a very good defenseman though but gain at least two solid D.
Injuries are always a question mark for any team (ie: HT would be a different team without Biondi) but Denfeld has over 100 training sessions planned so hopefully that helps prevent injuries. It may take 6 or 8 games but will be better IMO. Next year they'll play: HT, Warroad, Alex, Greenway, East, Cloquet, etc so we'll see.... the next year 2 years after next, Denfeld should be very good.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 pm
Northernlakes wrote:
The 2 forwards returning were Denfelds leading scorers. Denfeld loses #3 & #4 leading scorers but gain at least 4 forwards coming up that can play and score. The forwards coming up are more complete that play far better both ways in forechecking and backchecking than what they lose. Lose a very good defenseman though but gain at least two solid D.
Injuries are always a question mark for any team (ie: HT would be a different team without Biondi) but Denfeld has over 100 training sessions planned so hopefully that helps prevent injuries. It may take 6 or 8 games but will be better IMO. Next year they'll play: HT, Warroad, Alex, Greenway, East, Cloquet, etc so we'll see.... the next year 2 years after next, Denfeld should be very good.
Denfeld's Bantam group this year was just as good as Hermantown. We'll see if it translates to High School or not. Hermantown will have the advantage of the third Grade in High School and their average of two D1 transfers and open enrollees on every one of their teams over the last 5 years. Unbelievable how many future D1 players have transferred/open enrolled to Hermantown. Without those kids they're an average program.

If Denfeld ends up beating Hermantown in High School, I hope I can be there just to see the Denfeld parents faces who transferred their players to Hermantown. That would be priceless!

Proctor has by far the best facilities in the Twin Ports now too. Idiot Parents care about that. So maybe Hermantown quits getting Proctor's top players too? Hermantown has never had any success without Proctor, so maybe the times they are a changing????

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm
Dog wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:
Denfeld's Bantam group this year was just as good as Hermantown. We'll see if it translates to High School or not. Hermantown will have the advantage of the third Grade in High School and their average of two D1 transfers and open enrollees on every one of their teams over the last 5 years. Unbelievable how many future D1 players have transferred/open enrolled to Hermantown. Without those kids they're an average program.

If Denfeld ends up beating Hermantown in High School, I hope I can be there just to see the Denfeld parents faces who transferred their players to Hermantown. That would be priceless!

Proctor has by far the best facilities in the Twin Ports now too. Idiot Parents care about that. So maybe Hermantown quits getting Proctor's top players too? Hermantown has never had any success without Proctor, so maybe the times they are a changing????
I am sure the Denfeld faithful would get a kick out of that moment. :lol:

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
zooomx wrote:
6A

7. Prairie Center

Very great news for Alexandria hockey. And for the record it's A-OK that Alex completes in single A :lol:

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 am
BSUBeaver wrote:
zooomx wrote:
6A

7. Prairie Center

Very great news for Alexandria hockey. And for the record it's A-OK that Alex completes in single A :lol:
Oh, I don't think many of us have illusions that we will be Single A for much longer. Eventually enrollment, or sustained success will cause us to move up. I just think it's hilarious that people are out there calling for it already. I know for a fact that one driver for the youth program to build up their numbers is to be better prepared to eventually go AA.

ILTG

Post by ILTG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Dog wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:
Denfeld loses 145 points from their Sr. class which seems to me like a lot. I like the young kids coming up too and the future looks good. But, I would pump the breaks on winning with 10th graders. It’s a big jump from Bantam A hockey to HS. None of those kids are particularly big yet either. I think it depends largely on what the rest of the section loses as well. Eveleth looks primed to move up in the section. Greenway still has some high carliber players. Hermantown reloads. Hibbing has to be better. Sounds like Virginia loses a lot? Not sure about the rest.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm

ILTG wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Dog wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:
Denfeld loses 145 points from their Sr. class which seems to me like a lot. I like the young kids coming up too and the future looks good. But, I would pump the breaks on winning with 10th graders. It’s a big jump from Bantam A hockey to HS. None of those kids are particularly big yet either. I think it depends largely on what the rest of the section loses as well. Eveleth looks primed to move up in the section. Greenway still has some high carliber players. Hermantown reloads. Hibbing has to be better. Sounds like Virginia loses a lot? Not sure about the rest.
Agreed, I'd pump the brakes on Denfeld a bit. As good as their bantam team was this year, they only beat Hibbing 3-2 and 3-1, and Virginia 3-0, so it's not like they were light years ahead of other 7A teams. Plus, their Pee Wee team was 2-23, so it doesn't appear there will be a solid sophomore crop coming up to fill in behind the bantam talent later in HS.

Even if Denfeld is better than the Range teams by a solid margin, getting by Hermantown is still a monumental challenge. Hermantown beat the Denfeld bantams this year, the Hawks 1st year bantams were #5 in Pee Wee AA last year, and their Pee Wee team this year was #13 in AA. Add in the usual one or two star transfers that will materialize between now and HS and Hermantown is again looking like a top 10 AA team.

As great as the Greenway run was this year, let's not forget that the Raiders needed two top-six forwards and a goalie to transfer there in order to squeak by the Hawks. Denfeld has a decent history of getting transfers, so maybe they will attract a couple over the next few years, but is this what we want in Class A, to hope for transfers every year?

Hopefully by the time the Denfeld kids are seniors Hermantown will be in AA. I'd gladly root for the Hunters at state.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Greenway will be taking a step back next year as they lose two key players, Lawson of course but Lanz is equally important. He has a very high hockey IQ and started the transition from defense to offense the majority of time. Miller is going to have to step up and carry the puck out of the zone significantly more next year. It’s a shame that Lanz isn’t 8 inches taller because he’d be getting looks from D1 schools then. This upcoming year will be the last year for awhile that Greenway will be competitive with the other 7A teams (not counting Hermantown). Time to start sending emails to Greenway alumni with hockey playing kids or rev up the Foreign Exchange program.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am

zooomx wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 am
BSUBeaver wrote:

Oh, I don't think many of us have illusions that we will be Single A for much longer. Eventually enrollment, or sustained success will cause us to move up. I just think it's hilarious that people are out there calling for it already. I know for a fact that one driver for the youth program to build up their numbers is to be better prepared to eventually go AA.
Agreed. It would not surprise me if in the next major reclassification cycle in 2021 (remember, this year is just for minor tweaks), the Cardinals get bumped up to AA.

BP

Post by BP » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm
ILTG wrote:
Dog wrote:

Agreed, I'd pump the brakes on Denfeld a bit. As good as their bantam team was this year, they only beat Hibbing 3-2 and 3-1, and Virginia 3-0, so it's not like they were light years ahead of other 7A teams. Plus, their Pee Wee team was 2-23, so it doesn't appear there will be a solid sophomore crop coming up to fill in behind the bantam talent later in HS.

Even if Denfeld is better than the Range teams by a solid margin, getting by Hermantown is still a monumental challenge. Hermantown beat the Denfeld bantams this year, the Hawks 1st year bantams were #5 in Pee Wee AA last year, and their Pee Wee team this year was #13 in AA. Add in the usual one or two star transfers that will materialize between now and HS and Hermantown is again looking like a top 10 AA team.

As great as the Greenway run was this year, let's not forget that the Raiders needed two top-six forwards and a goalie to transfer there in order to squeak by the Hawks. Denfeld has a decent history of getting transfers, so maybe they will attract a couple over the next few years, but is this what we want in Class A, to hope for transfers every year?

Hopefully by the time the Denfeld kids are seniors Hermantown will be in AA. I'd gladly root for the Hunters at state.
Aren't most of the Denfeld kids a Duluth Marshall?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:49 am

BP wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am
rainier2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm
ILTG wrote:

Aren't most of the Denfeld kids a Duluth Marshall?
Not most but there are a few. I know of one 9th Grader and two 8th Graders from this year's Bantam group that go to Marshall. There may be a couple more, I'm sure one of the Denfeld fans on here can confirm.

Denfeld has some top end talent for sure. They should be good in a couple of years. But the transfers will always be the difference for Hermantown. A lot of them are top end talent and the rest add a ton of depth that Denfeld and other 7A teams won't be able to match. As someone said, Denfeld's PeeWee group wasn't strong this year, and Hermantown's PeeWee AA team has the Plante kid and a whopping 4 transfers from Proctor and 3 from Denfeld. (Half of their 14 skaters) I'm sure we'll see a few more by the time those kids get to High School. No class A team can compete with that type of player movement.