7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Well. I got my final CEC hockey game in today of the season, u12 state tournament in Proctor. High Performance and Brille to look forward for puck. I just love hockey. I am about ready for the off-season. High school baseball and softball. This thread is a nice tickler for the long off-season. Thank you too Duluth East and Greenway for representing our 218 Boys of the North!

It seems like Andover has the most coming back? The Hub's way early predictions dictate Andover #4 in state, Duluth East #14, Grand Rapids # 21 and Cloquet #27.

This was my first post on this thread last year.

Duluth East, Andover, Cloquet, Elk River

Duluth Marshall and Grand Rapids. Who’s better on paper for next year. I would think Rapids with a nice Bantam AA coming in next year. Andover, East, and CEC look loaded. JP is the big, giant, key for the Elks. Time for 8 months of speculation to begin.

Usthockey13
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm

I think next season is going to be a lot like this year . Andover is gonna to be odds on favorite with the juniors that are going to be seniors next year. Will be anothet year the state sleeps on East with losing Donovan, Paine,Lyle and the other 8 seniors. But this group of kids the Sr/Jr went to the state champ game for Pee Wees( not that that holds a lot of stock) also the Hounds JV went 20-1-2 this past year. I think Rapids is going to make the biggest jump next year( if Pert stays). Also we need to see if any changes come in the next week or so with section realignment. But if nothing changes this is where I’d start the year our ranking teams
1.Andover
2 East
3 Rapids
4 CEC
5 Elk
6 Marshall
7 Flake
8/9 Frany/CBI

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm
I think next season is going to be a lot like this year . Andover is gonna to be odds on favorite with the juniors that are going to be seniors next year. Will be anothet year the state sleeps on East with losing Donovan, Paine,Lyle and the other 8 seniors. But this group of kids the Sr/Jr went to the state champ game for Pee Wees( not that that holds a lot of stock) also the Hounds JV went 20-1-2 this past year. I think Rapids is going to make the biggest jump next year( if Pert stays). Also we need to see if any changes come in the next week or so with section realignment. But if nothing changes this is where I’d start the year our ranking teams
1.Andover
2 East
3 Rapids
4 CEC
5 Elk
6 Marshall
7 Flake
8/9 Frany/CBI
I’m sure Pert isn’t going anywhere. I heard a rumor that kids very, very seldom leave early in Gran Rapids high school hockey. Elk River will have a Mr. Hockey candidate possibly. That’s got to account for something. Yea, Duluth East always finds a way to finish 1 or 2 in 7AA.

Usthockey13
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised is michaelis from elk leaves early.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Going to be interesting to see if Grand Rapids can score high in the QRF this year. They’ll have Benilde, Holy Family, WBL, Wayzata, Hill Murray, Maple Grove, Minnetonka, Forest Lake and even Duluth East at home. Edina Classic will be their only trip to the cities. This is assuming no changes to opponents, just the annual home/away flip. It would be nice to see Rapids drop Hibbing and Virginia. Maybe add Chaska and get Andover back. I’m sure Forest Lake will keep their cake walk schedule to pad their qrf again.

My guess at next years seeds

1. Duluth East
2. Grand Rapids
3. Brainerd
4. Cloquet
5. Forest Lake
6. Elk River
7. Duluth Marshall
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge

Will make for a fun semi-final Saturday at Amsoil Arena if all 4 top seeds advance. Hopefully 7A is a competitive field that Saturday as well. Might be if Biondi leaves.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

blueblood
Posts: 2276
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Tonka

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by blueblood » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:20 pm

DJ:

I see you have Brainerd at 3 in 7AA and no Andover. Care to elaborate on your hypothesis?
Play Like a Champion Today

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:21 pm

blueblood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:20 pm
DJ:

I see you have Brainerd at 3 in 7AA and no Andover. Care to elaborate on your hypothesis?
Nope
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:24 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:58 pm
Going to be interesting to see if Grand Rapids can score high in the QRF this year. They’ll have Benilde, Holy Family, WBL, Wayzata, Hill Murray, Maple Grove, Minnetonka, Forest Lake and even Duluth East at home. Edina Classic will be their only trip to the cities. This is assuming no changes to opponents, just the annual home/away flip. It would be nice to see Rapids drop Hibbing and Virginia. Maybe add Chaska and get Andover back. I’m sure Forest Lake will keep their cake walk schedule to pad their qrf again.

My guess at next years seeds

1. Duluth East
2. Grand Rapids
3. Brainerd
4. Cloquet
5. Forest Lake
6. Elk River
7. Duluth Marshall
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge

Will make for a fun semi-final Saturday at Amsoil Arena if all 4 top seeds advance. Hopefully 7A is a competitive field that Saturday as well. Might be if Biondi leaves.
So from your pre, pre rankings, your thinking Andover leaves and Brainerd enters. Interesting.

SpOilerfan
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by SpOilerfan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm

This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
I like Cloquet, but I feel like this is the 4th year in a row of hearing this. Would love to see Cloquet be like in 06-07 years when they had as many fans as GR, top 15 with exciting players like Tyler Johnson and Reid Ellington. The good old days of 4 top 20 teams meeting in Duluth for semifinal Saturday.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:20 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
I like it, spoiler ! Yes, they definitely will have a shot. Just the fact they will have the same head coach 2 years in a row will help solidify things.

Section 8 guy
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm
I think next season is going to be a lot like this year . Andover is gonna to be odds on favorite with the juniors that are going to be seniors next year. Will be anothet year the state sleeps on East with losing Donovan, Paine,Lyle and the other 8 seniors. But this group of kids the Sr/Jr went to the state champ game for Pee Wees( not that that holds a lot of stock)
You are off by a year I'm pretty sure. PeeWee championship game for this group was Prior Lake over Minneapolis. It was the following year that Duluth East made it to the PeeWee Title game. Good chance it'll be tougher for East to hang with Andover next year than it was this year.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am

SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.

Usthockey13
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:07 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:28 pm
Usthockey13 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm
I think next season is going to be a lot like this year . Andover is gonna to be odds on favorite with the juniors that are going to be seniors next year. Will be anothet year the state sleeps on East with losing Donovan, Paine,Lyle and the other 8 seniors. But this group of kids the Sr/Jr went to the state champ game for Pee Wees( not that that holds a lot of stock)
You are off by a year I'm pretty sure. PeeWee championship game for this group was Prior Lake over Minneapolis. It was the following year that Duluth East made it to the PeeWee Title game. Good chance it'll be tougher for East to hang with Andover next year than it was this year.
Well I know kausch was their goalie when they played in the championship game and he’s going to be a Sr this coming season. But maybe I am wrong. Either way East will love to be the “underdog” again to Andover.

Edinahopkins
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Edinahopkins » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am

1. Andover by a mile




2. Duluth East

3/4 Grand Rapids or cloquet assuming nobody leaves early if jack Peart leaves then drop Rapids to the 5/6 seed

5. Elk river if nobody leaves early

6. Duluth Marshall

7. Forest lake

norcon
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by norcon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am
SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.
Whoa! Best defenseman in the north, not even close? You’ve been drinking too much of Knivens purple cool aid. Saw him play a few times. He is a very nice player. Has a decent chance of playing at the next level. Have you not seen Jack Peart of GR play? Will probably be the best defenseman in the state next year as a junior and will have a pretty good compliment of players around him. I think I recall Reed Larson stating on one of the My9 telecasts this winter that he is the top rated d-man in the country in his age group.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

norcon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am
SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.
Whoa! Best defenseman in the north, not even close? You’ve been drinking too much of Knivens purple cool aid. Saw him play a few times. He is a very nice player. Has a decent chance of playing at the next level. Have you not seen Jack Peart of GR play? Will probably be the best defenseman in the state next year as a junior and will have a pretty good compliment of players around him. I think I recall Reed Larson #-o stating on one of the My9 telecasts this winter that he is the top rated d-man in the country in his age group.
You got your guy.
I got my guy.
To each his own.
CEC to STATE 2020.
Find a goalie Knivsy!!

greenwayraider
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am
SpOilerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 pm
This is the 2nd year of a 3 year stretch where Cloquet won the Bantam North Regional, I wouldn't sleep on them. I think Knivens boys go south next March!
CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.
DJ may very well know about Brainerd. The ADs got the preliminary Section assignments two weeks ago.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am
norcon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am


CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.
Whoa! Best defenseman in the north, not even close? You’ve been drinking too much of Knivens purple cool aid. Saw him play a few times. He is a very nice player. Has a decent chance of playing at the next level. Have you not seen Jack Peart of GR play? Will probably be the best defenseman in the state next year as a junior and will have a pretty good compliment of players around him. I think I recall Reed Larson #-o stating on one of the My9 telecasts this winter that he is the top rated d-man in the country in his age group.
You got your guy and he is legit.
I got my guy.
Both are youngin's
To each his own.
CEC to STATE 2020.
Find a goalie Knivsy!!

MWS coach
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by MWS coach » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am
1. Andover by a mile




2. Duluth East

3/4 Grand Rapids or cloquet assuming nobody leaves early if jack Peart leaves then drop Rapids to the 5/6 seed

5. Elk river if nobody leaves early

6. Duluth Marshall

7. Forest lake
Elks way to low on this list if nobody leaves. This group as Bantams won the Blue Ox, collected a trophy in every tournament and were eliminated in regions by losing to Prior Lake (the eventual state champ) twice, once in OT and one by a goal. Have a potential Mr. Hockey candidate whom has already scored over 100 points. Several players on 18-19 teams missed a lot of time due to injuries/health issues. One of them was the top D on aforementioned bantam team and two top 6 F's. Beat both GR and Cloquet on more then one occasion and even took down the hounds (yep understood bantams move up early, so not much stock in beating east in bantams). Jr class has a few players that saw significant ice time and contributed. A couple of incoming Soph. that will help with depth. Still won't match Andover depth and skill, but will compete with those you have ahead of them.

Now the reality, all players not likely to return. 5 could be high depending on how many and whom departs.

elliott70
Posts: 13039
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:14 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am
norcon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am


CEC needs to figure out some goaltending. Any team making a trip to St. Paul wins with good goaltending.
The younger Langenbrunner kid is best defensemen in the north not even close. That kids an absolute stud!
I am all in for CEC heading to St. Paul they are way overdue. Recruit a goalie man.
Oh and DJ has the inside scoop on the Worrior move, he's got connections.
Whoa! Best defenseman in the north, not even close? You’ve been drinking too much of Knivens purple cool aid. Saw him play a few times. He is a very nice player. Has a decent chance of playing at the next level. Have you not seen Jack Peart of GR play? Will probably be the best defenseman in the state next year as a junior and will have a pretty good compliment of players around him. I think I recall Reed Larson #-o stating on one of the My9 telecasts this winter that he is the top rated d-man in the country in his age group.
You got your guy.
I got my guy.
To each his own.
CEC to STATE 2020.
Find a goalie Knivsy!!

I am going with Norcon.
Langenbrunner in top 5 maybe 3 in the north.

elliott70
Posts: 13039
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm

1. Andover

2. Duluth East

3. CEC
4. Elk River
5. Grand Rapids

6. Forest lake
7. Duluth Marshall

kniven
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:45 pm

So Jack Peart is the best on Grand Rapids roster last year and this year? Peart and Clafton will be a very nice combination. What’s their forwards situation. And Duluth East...somebody in hound nation give me a snapshot of next year. There were a couple of Lockerts in their youth program who were very good. Are they coming to high school puck next year? Langenbrunner Is pretty awesome and goalie Carlson was AA all through youth and quite good. He grew a foot over the last couple years. Not sure if that changes things or not. Senich is a nice Goalie as well. I’m not worried about goalie. For me, it’s the synergy between Head Coach and the boys. I think a second year together is going to be huge. And it will be interesting to see their schedule for next year.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm

The Hounds are going to need to re-establish themselves as a team that can score. Will they have a player, perhaps Jeanetta, that can be the horse they can rely on? It seems to get to state you not only need an aforementioned great goalie, you also need that elite guy that can snipe a 35' shot into the topshelf when you need a goal late in the game. Grand Rapids has had that in their Section Championship teams in Patrick White and Blake McLaughlin/Micah Miller (Gavin Hain to an extent, but he mostly got the hard working goals around the crease). Duluth East has had that in guys like Dave Spehar, Jake Randolph, and Garrett Worth over the years.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

StanleyCup55
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by StanleyCup55 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 pm

I think everyone is too high on Andover. They will have a nice team but will not be a top 5 team like this year. They lose a few key guys but have a few guys returning. East, Rapids, Cloquet and ER will all be top 20 teams. Next year may be the most interesting year in Section 7AA history.

Post Reply