7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by rainier2 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 pm

kniven wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm
Seems to me Elk River is turning into Hibbing hockey. As far as nobody wanting to stay at home for puck. Is Elk River HS hockey finished as a top program as Hibbing? It does seem Elk players don’t go to other high schools to play but to juniors though.
Well, at least ER hasn't turned into Cloquet hockey yet. Tons of top players leaving in HS, 3 years of great bantam success fizzling out into nothing at the HS level, aggressive recruiting, a coaching carousel, parents running the ship right into the rocks, a future decline so steep they are considering dropping down a class, and to top it all off, an unhinged fan posting nonsense constantly.

Oh, and your bantam AA team couldn't even beat Hibbing bantam A last year. :roll:

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 pm

R2,
At what point should K just abandon the Lumberjacks and follow the Wilderness?
Same parking spot?

Jeffy95
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:31 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 pm
R2,
At what point should K just abandon the Lumberjacks and follow the Wilderness?
Same parking spot?
Have either of you ever met Knivsy? I have. Yes, he says some crazy ass PLEASE BAN ME on the board. But you would be hard pressed to meet a better guy. He’s done a ton for local Youth. I would miss his crazy ass shot in this board if he ever left. And all of you would too..,,,

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by rainier2 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:31 am
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 pm
R2,
At what point should K just abandon the Lumberjacks and follow the Wilderness?
Same parking spot?
Have either of you ever met Knivsy? I have. Yes, he says some crazy ass PLEASE BAN ME on the board. But you would be hard pressed to meet a better guy. He’s done a ton for local Youth. I would miss his crazy ass shot in this board if he ever left. And all of you would too..,,,
I'm sure he is a good guy, but I get tired of him bringing up Hibbing's struggles for no reason, especially when his own program has even more problems. So, I don't mind his crazy ass sh*t, but I'll needle him back when deserves it, no matter how much he's done for local youth. :D

greenwayraider
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:33 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:31 am
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 pm
R2,
At what point should K just abandon the Lumberjacks and follow the Wilderness?
Same parking spot?
Have either of you ever met Knivsy? I have. Yes, he says some crazy ass PLEASE BAN ME on the board. But you would be hard pressed to meet a better guy. He’s done a ton for local Youth. I would miss his crazy ass shot in this board if he ever left. And all of you would too..,,,
I enjoy kniven’s posts. He certainly has helped keep this forum alive this summer. His occasional head-scratching comments just add to the discussion. Anyone who cheered on Greenway has to be a good guy. You should listen to his reaction when Lawson scored the winning goal against Hermantown. (It’s on You Tube.) How can I not like the guy?

Jeffy95
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:33 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:31 am
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 pm
R2,
At what point should K just abandon the Lumberjacks and follow the Wilderness?
Same parking spot?
Have either of you ever met Knivsy? I have. Yes, he says some crazy ass PLEASE BAN ME on the board. But you would be hard pressed to meet a better guy. He’s done a ton for local Youth. I would miss his crazy ass shot in this board if he ever left. And all of you would too..,,,
I'm sure he is a good guy, but I get tired of him bringing up Hibbing's struggles for no reason, especially when his own program has even more problems. So, I don't mind his crazy ass sh*t, but I'll needle him back when deserves it, no matter how much he's done for local youth. :D
Fair enough. Knivsy can take the heat. 😀

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 am

Well. I’m pretty busy this fall with high school football and soccer. It’s good for me when I’m making a difference with the kids. Lots of pucksters play too so that’s always good. CEC boys and girls HS hockey players working hard for the upcoming season. I’m going to run to Cloquet today and see if the new ice is in. And just sit there, and think about all the wonderful players, coaches, and people I’ve met over the years in that place. 🤓

Jeffy95
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Pertyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 pm
Jeffy your hatred for Hermantown is old and tired, go to that thread and whine. Everytime a string is going good you have to try and bash Hermantown, Your East team has the best advantage in the state everybody who plays them in sections has a long drive besides Marshall.
????. You might want to read that again. Much slower. I was actually kind of sticking up for Hermantown in that one. People sure throw the Hate word around a lot. We love ya Dude, but perhaps you’re just a bit high strung???

WestMetro
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by WestMetro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:08 pm

kniven wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 am
Well. I’m pretty busy this fall with high school football and soccer. It’s good for me when I’m making a difference with the kids. Lots of pucksters play too so that’s always good. CEC boys and girls HS hockey players working hard for the upcoming season. I’m going to run to Cloquet today and see if the new ice is in. And just sit there, and think about all the wonderful players, coaches, and people I’ve met over the years in that place. 🤓

Haven’t read this thread for a while .

But I will say no one is a more loyal hockey fan and program volunteer than Kniven! Have really enjoyed getting to know him over the years at Braemar and other metro games , and can’t thank him enough for broadcasting section 7 AA “ concerts “ before WDIO started streaming it!

Hard to say who is cloquets most famous renowned media person- Kniven or Jeff Papas? (who I coincidentally talked with this weekend in between BEL periods at SLP)

Should be very interesting 7AA this year ! Not sure come February Andover will be as much a fav as people think. Who will bury the puck when needed? Excited by what I’ve seen of Del Greco!

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks, WestY. Your heart is in the right place, and your passion for high school puck is recognized. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the game we all love here on this forum: Minnesota State Boys High School Hockey 🤓

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm

6 games this winter between CEC, Grand Rapids, and Duluth East will be crazy awesome! Each of these 6 games will be a pick em/toss up/as far as who wins the game. When’s the last time this happened?.....

BodyShots
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by BodyShots » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm

kniven wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm
6 games this winter between CEC, Grand Rapids, and Duluth East will be crazy awesome! Each of these 6 games will be a pick em/toss up/as far as who wins the game. When’s the last time this happened?.....
If these 3 play 6, then I will take DE 4-1-1. Loss and tie early, and wins as the season winds down.

bardown27
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by bardown27 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:16 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm
kniven wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm
6 games this winter between CEC, Grand Rapids, and Duluth East will be crazy awesome! Each of these 6 games will be a pick em/toss up/as far as who wins the game. When’s the last time this happened?.....
If these 3 play 6, then I will take DE 4-1-1. Loss and tie early, and wins as the season winds down.
Body, DE only plays 4 of the 6. 2 vs CEC, 2 vs GR. The other 2 games are CEC vs GR

Edinahopkins
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Edinahopkins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Grand Rapids only plays East once a year unless they meet in the playoffs.

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:31 pm
Grand Rapids only plays East once a year unless they meet in the playoffs.

That’s weird. I never realized that. Yet rapids plays Hermantown twice this year. So Cloquet is the only team that East plays twice every regular season. Is Cloquet their biggest rival. Is that why? Some say Rapids is, but only play East once in the regular season. So CEC East 2 times, Rapids CEC 2 times and East Rapids 1 time.

karl(east)
Posts: 6096
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Correct, East only plays Cloquet twice, and that's been the case for the past 15+ years. There were some stretches before that when they'd play Rapids twice, and of course they would play several local teams twice back in the Lake Superior Conference days.

Cloquet is certainly the Hounds' most historically significant rival, though ask kids from more recent years and they might say Rapids instead. I'm certainly not opposed to a second Rapids regular season game, though I also enjoy variety and prefer it when teams don't play the same opponents over and over again.

In other news, with the Elks' confirmed early departures, the preseason top 4 is getting more and more clear.

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Elite league players

Rapids 7
CEC 2
Duluth East 2

Strength of schedule is probably East, Rapids, then CEC. Cloquet usually has 0-1 elite leavers per year so I don’t hold that league as an indicator on how I think our season will go. We’ve never consistently played tough scheduled like East and Rapids each year. It’s more fun when we play our typical schedule. The last couple years and those schedules we play don’t make me ......well you know. 😮 anywho, split with East and get a home playoff game 👍🤓👌 I sure wish we would get rid of EP and add Greenway to our schedule going forward. Bemidji, Brainered, Roseau and Warroad too. Keep Stillwater and white bear lake too.

Let’s do this CEC Lumberjacks Hockey 🤓🎥👀✌️!!!!!!:)

elliott70
Posts: 13098
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Andover has perhaps 5 EL players and Elk river has two.
Andover usually has a pretty tough schedule.

Wet Paint
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Wet Paint » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:09 pm
Elite league players

Rapids 7
CEC 2
Duluth East 2

Strength of schedule is probably East, Rapids, then CEC. Cloquet usually has 0-1 elite leavers per year so I don’t hold that league as an indicator on how I think our season will go. We’ve never consistently played tough scheduled like East and Rapids each year. It’s more fun when we play our typical schedule. The last couple years and those schedules we play don’t make me ......well you know. 😮 anywho, split with East and get a home playoff game 👍🤓👌 I sure wish we would get rid of EP and add Greenway to our schedule going forward. Bemidji, Brainered, Roseau and Warroad too. Keep Stillwater and white bear lake too.

Let’s do this CEC Lumberjacks Hockey 🤓🎥👀✌️!!!!!!:)
I don't know about just how much I trust data that is based on how many elite league players a team has. That has always been a league of name recognition and politics and from what I have seen many of the best players don't even play in it. It is a money maker for sure and I am sure some scouts show up for it since a lot of the "big names" are there.

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:23 pm

The cool thing about HSEL is it’s run by parents most of whos’ kids are older and have benefited from the HSEL. It seems more like a non profit situation which is a breath of fresh air in today’s youth hockey environment.
I probably works out to 30 bucks a game for the families which is a very reasonable.
As one of the HSEL directors said... the pyramid is very sharp now-congrats.
I would think anyone on this bored would be AOL if they had that opportunity.
I know for a fact there are are some very talented kids that YHH never promoted, their
Dads’ did not play Pro, D1, let alone hockey.
So, good for them and maybe there are some Seniors out there that will make some noise??
Just sayin....

Edinahopkins
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 am

Why on earth would you want C-E-C to down grade there Schedule #-o , to win at the AA level you have to challenge your team week after week playing small single A school’s does not do that and often times you play down to that level of play.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 am
Why on earth would you want C-E-C to down grade there Schedule #-o , to win at the AA level you have to challenge your team week after week playing small single A school’s does not do that and often times you play down to that level of play.
RIGHT ON!!! =D>
2016-2017 6-0 against the Lake. Get'r done!! :wink:

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 am
Why on earth would you want C-E-C to down grade there Schedule #-o , to win at the AA level you have to challenge your team week after week playing small single A school’s does not do that and often times you play down to that level of play.
Split with Duluth East and a home playoff game.

kniven
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by kniven » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Anoka hockey now in 7AA. What’s there story the last 20 years? Are they trending up? What hockey program are they a feeder to? I know they won a state championship within the last 20 years. Anoka better than Elk River and Forest Lake. Who will be the typical 4 teams on the bottom of section 7AA now that C/I and St. Francis left. STMA left a few years ago. I could never stand that place 🙄

Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Andover
Elk River
CEC
Forest Lake
Anoka

7 teams in 7AA now. ?

That guy for that thing
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: Hinckley

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Anoka hockey now in 7AA. What’s there story the last 20 years? Are they trending up? What hockey program are they a feeder to? I know they won a state championship within the last 20 years. Anoka better than Elk River and Forest Lake. Who will be the typical 4 teams on the bottom of section 7AA now that C/I and St. Francis left. STMA left a few years ago. I could never stand that place 🙄

Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Andover
Elk River
CEC
Forest Lake
Anoka
Duluth Marshall

7 teams in 7AA now. ?

Post Reply