8AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

8AA 2019-2020

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm

1 Moorhead
2 Roseau
3 St cloud
4 Bemidji
5 Brainerd
6 StM-A
7 Buffalo
8 Rogers

elliott70

Re: 8AA 2019-2020

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Moorhead loses 7 seniors - bantams finished 1-2 at state

Feel free to fill in....

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Roseau loses 11 seniors including Huglen and goalie Lee. But have younger Huglen back plus a bantam team that went 0-2 at state.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 pm

St Cloud loses 5 seniors
bantams went 1-2 at regions

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Bemidji loses 7 seniors and their coach.
Bantams went 1-2 at regions.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Brainerd loses 10 seniors.

bantams went o-2 at regions

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm

St Michael - Albertville loses 7 seniors.
Bantams went 0-2 at regions.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Buffalo will be somewhere between 2-4.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Buffalo loses nine 9 seniors.
Bantams went 0-2 at regions

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Rogers loses 7 seniors and bantams did not play AA. BUT their A team took 3rd place at bantam A state tourney (???)
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:49 pm

1. Moorhead

2. Roseau

3. Brainerd

4. St. Cloud
5. STMA
6. Bemidji
7. Buffalo

8. Rogers
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

The Next One

Post by The Next One » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Rogers 3rd place at BA. Best player is arguably a girl goalie who is very impressive in nets.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm

The Next One wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 pm
Rogers 3rd place at BA. Best player is arguably a girl goalie who is very impressive in nets.
#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm
1 Moorhead BORING!!!!
2 Roseau
3 St cloud
4 Bemidji
5 Brainerd
6 StM-A
7 Buffalo
8 Rogers
:P

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I would go...

1-2. Roseau or Moorhead
3. STMA
4-6. Buffalo, St Cloud, Brainerd in any order
7. Bemidji
8. Rogers

I think Roseau is closer to Moorhead than some people think. Roseau has been the better team the last two years at the bantam level and that is with their best 9th grade forwards playing high school (Huglen and Gunderson). Moorhead's seniors had a decent gap as second year bantams but O'Leary played high school as a freshman as well so I think that helps to close that gap. Interesting note that Roseau's top 3 returning forwards all played high school as freshmen. (Two due to birthdays, one opted up). Roseau will be pretty solid up front with a likely first line player coming off bantams and a couple others that have potential to contribute. They will have some holes to fill on the back end and in net, however. There is some potential in the young players at those positions, but it is unproven. Moorhead on the other hand appears to be solid in net and on the blue line. I think their biggest questions are at forward, but they do have some experience there so I wouldn't count it as a major weakness.

STMA and Buffalo seem to be similarly constructed teams but I think Buffallo loses a little more to graduation and gains less from the bantam program. Braccini's will be good I just don't see much else. I think Laylin and Flammang get a better supporting cast and ultimately grab the 3.

I think St Cloud is a bit of a wildcard. They have a nice core of returning players, but you never really know what they will get from the bantam program (unless you are in the know in St Cloud). Also, they did still lose their goalie and leading scorer. Difficult team to gauge. Could see them reach to 3 or down to 6.

Brainerd returns some decent players as well, but when it is all said and done I don't see them filling the holes left by this class of seniors. Just not enough coming up from youth program in my opinion.

I would like to see Bemidji higher, but I am sorry to say that I don't see it. The players coming in just don't do enough to offset the loses to graduation. I think they could maybe sneak in at 5-6 but think 7 is most likely.

Rogers had a respectable bantam team in Class A, but graduates a decent amount as well. I don't see them moving out of the 8 spot just yet.

Obviously a lot of speculation here and I am admittedly a homer for a certain team. But it is still fun. Also, any early departures could change this. Especially for STMA or Buffalo.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Puckguy19 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm
Elliott is definitely lower on Buffalo than most, but I also think people need to pump the brakes a bit on assuming the Bison will make a leap forward next season. I know I sound like a broken record since this is the third time I’ve mentioned it, but Buffalo’s graduation losses are significant, losing their second best forward, top defenseman, and a stud goalie who played nearly every game over the past three seasons. The top line will still be potent, assuming Jake Braccini returns, but depth and goaltending are huge question marks.

All said, I would split the difference and peg Buffalo in the 3 to 6 range.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Puckguy19 wrote:
Elliott is definitely lower on Buffalo than most, but I also think people need to pump the brakes a bit on assuming the Bison will make a leap forward next season. I know I sound like a broken record since this is the third time I’ve mentioned it, but Buffalo’s graduation losses are significant, losing their second best forward, top defenseman, and a stud goalie who played nearly every game over the past three seasons. The top line will still be potent, assuming Jake Braccini returns, but depth and goaltending are huge question marks.

I am assuming he is gone.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm
Rogers loses 7 seniors and bantams did not play AA. BUT their A team took 3rd place at bantam A state tourney (???)
PeeWee A had the same situation. Rogers and Spring Lake Park went to the State Class A tournament and both play AA in high school. Greenway had a good team but lost to Spring Lake Park for the second spot. Very odd situation.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Puckguy19 wrote:

I am assuming he is gone.
I tend to agree, which would obviously lower my Buffalo projection as well. On the YHH year-end podcast Tony stated that Jake said he was definitely coming back, but I take that with a huge grain of salt. Most kids are savvy enough to dance around that question.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 am

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm
I would go...

1-2. Roseau or Moorhead
3. STMA
7. Bemidji
8. Rogers

I think Roseau is closer to Moorhead than some people think. Roseau has been the better team the last two years at the bantam level and that is with their best 9th grade forwards playing high school (Huglen and Gunderson). Moorhead's seniors had a decent gap as second year bantams but O'Leary played high school as a freshman as well so I think that helps to close that gap. Interesting note that Roseau's top 3 returning forwards all played high school as freshmen. (Two due to birthdays, one opted up). Roseau will be pretty solid up front with a likely first line player coming off bantams and a couple others that have potential to contribute. They will have some holes to fill on the back end and in net, however. There is some potential in the young players at those positions, but it is unproven. Moorhead on the other hand appears to be solid in net and on the blue line. I think their biggest questions are at forward, but they do have some experience there so I wouldn't count it as a major weakness.

STMA and Buffalo seem to be similarly constructed teams but I think Buffallo loses a little more to graduation and gains less from the bantam program. Braccini's will be good I just don't see much else. I think Laylin and Flammang get a better supporting cast and ultimately grab the 3.

I think St Cloud is a bit of a wildcard. They have a nice core of returning players, but you never really know what they will get from the bantam program (unless you are in the know in St Cloud). Also, they did still lose their goalie and leading scorer. Difficult team to gauge. Could see them reach to 3 or down to 6.

Brainerd returns some decent players as well, but when it is all said and done I don't see them filling the holes left by this class of seniors. Just not enough coming up from youth program in my opinion.

I would like to see Bemidji higher, but I am sorry to say that I don't see it. The players coming in just don't do enough to offset the loses to graduation. I think they could maybe sneak in at 5-6 but think 7 is most likely.

Rogers had a respectable bantam team in Class A, but graduates a decent amount as well. I don't see them moving out of the 8 spot just yet.

Obviously a lot of speculation here and I am admittedly a homer for a certain team. But it is still fun. Also, any early departures could change this. Especially for STMA or Buffalo.
I think this is actually a pretty solid summary. Time would say a certain team may have a little more to prove than you give it credit for above but there is talent there and overall this assessment is pretty good. The one exception may be Brainerd lost a ton.......and may look more like Bemidji than the group they are listed with above. Won't be long now.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Bumping this to highlight a few interesting results a few interesting results from last night:

Rogers 7, Buffalo 2 (huh?!)
St. Cloud 4, Elk River 3

Perhaps this will be a bit more topsy-turvy season than expected in this section.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:56 am

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm
I would go...

1-2. Roseau or Moorhead
3. STMA
7. Bemidji
8. Rogers

I wrote this section summary last spring and thought with a few games under our belt(including last night's Moorhead/Roseau round 1) it may be a good time to provide my updated thoughts.

1-2. Same as stated above. Looking like Roseau and Moorhead will fill out these two spots. The round 2 match up will be big later on this season. A slip up for either of these teams against another section opponent/opponents could also have a big effect on seedings in the event of a split.

3. Sticking with STMA here. If it weren't for St Cloud tripping up last night against Buffalo I would have moved St Cloud to the 3 spot.There are a few teams in this range with a high end player or two. My thought right now is that Laylin/Flammang have the best supporting cast to make a run. And these seniors do have state tournament under their belt.

4. Going St Cloud in the 4 spot. This is a tough spot to gauge (and they did just lose to Buffalo), but of the teams I am looking at here I feel they have the most well rounded roster(including a couple nice young players including Falloon and Rud).

5. Brainerd gets the 5 spot. They have a win over Buffalo, tie with St Cloud and a blowout loss to Moorhead. Some nice younger players but not enough depth to reach much higher.

6. I am going Buffalo here, though based on results it probably should be Rogers. I have to feel that the Braccini's will get it going a little more than they have so far. I have felt all along that this year would be a drop off from the last as they graduated a lot and don't appear to have plugs for those holes. If they slip to 7 I would hate to be the two seed that has to play a potential Mr Hockey finalist in the QF.

7. Rogers-had some surprising results so far and has a young team so we will see. For now I don't see them going higher than 6 but with the bantam team they have right now don't be surprised if they flip to the other end of the section rankings in the near future.

8. Bemidji-Disappointing start for the Lumberjacks. I would like to see them turn it around but early results haven't been very good. They have played some decent teams close so I think they have a chance to dig themselves out of the last spot.

That is my thoughts as of now. As always it will be fun to see how it plays out.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:15 am

I might give more credit to Rogers but like you stated, young and early.

Bemidji is as expected, no scoring, hurting at goal tending, and have major let downs in the course of the game. The coach is enthusiastic and hopeful that the changes made will pay-off. Can they find what they need and be a potential upset minded team by year end?

Roseau could be a contender at state if they get what they need form the younger players. Moorhead needs the right players on the ice at the right time but don't think Ammerman is concerned about that at this time of the year. The will be in the finals.

Brainerd, STMA, St Cloud who will step up.

I don't hold much hope for Buffalo jumping into the top 5.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Bump to discuss wacky weekend results. Apparently Buffalo has now found a new goalie, and proceeded to rattle off three straight section wins.