Top MN Hockey This Weekend

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyCrazy1970

Top MN Hockey This Weekend

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am

The weather doesn't lend itself to a weekend of yard work or enjoying to water...Final 54 and NIT is this weekend in Plymouth.
Games all day Saturday and most of Sunday.
I do not know if there is a gate fee.

WestMetro

Re: Top MN Hockey This Weekend

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Noteworthy 16s in the noon game

Burkholder
Marshall
DelGreco
Ludtke
Lamb
Yakesh
Strand

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Burkholder
Marshall
DelGreco
Ludtke
Lamb
Yakesh
Strand
Observations ?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Pipes- Just that those were some that stood out for me

My first time seeing DelGreco, Lamb, Strand. DelGreco is really quick, tight corners and fast acceleration through the D, got a nice one late in game. Lamb is big, good all around hockey skills, dominant on ice and buried 2, not sure if he will be at Roch or SSM this fall, heard both . Strand got a nice one, I seemed to notice him more than Huglen.

Best forward on Blue this game was Adam Marshall, no surprise. Got a beautiful snipe from left side. Always on the puck, great vision and spacing aptitude, unselfish player who always passes the puck when its the best play

Burkholder and Ludtke the best D on the ice

Heard Delzer had a nasty collision recently, but skated for White today and appeared OK.

Wieneke super in goal.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:53 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:17 pm

My first time seeing DelGreco, Lamb, Strand. DelGreco is really quick, tight corners and fast acceleration through the D, got a nice one late in game. Lamb is big, good all around hockey skills, dominant on ice and buried 2, not sure if he will be at Roch or SSM this fall, heard both . Strand got a nice one, I seemed to notice him more than Huglen.

Best forward on Blue this game was Adam Marshall, no surprise. Got a beautiful snipe from left side. Always on the puck, great vision and spacing aptitude, unselfish player who always passes the puck when its the best play

Heard Delzer had a nasty collision recently, but skated for White today and appeared OK.

Wieneke super in goal.
Thanks for the insight, Minn HP seems to have gone silent on 16 & 17s, no tweets or website updates at all this weekend.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

HockeyCrazy1970 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am
The weather doesn't lend itself to a weekend of yard work or enjoying to water...Final 54 and NIT is this weekend in Plymouth.
Games all day Saturday and most of Sunday.
I do not know if there is a gate fee.
This is free to attend
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 am

WestMetro wrote:

Wieneke super in goal.
Any other notable observations from those how attended?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:54 pm

WestMetro wrote:

Burkholder committed to Colorado College today. The MN to CC pipeline continues.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Burkholder
Marshall
DelGreco
Ludtke
Lamb
Yakesh
Strand
Burkholder commits to Colorado College today =D>

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:53 am

When are the National Camp selections expected to be posted?

6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:57 am

Natty camp selections due to be posted Weds

HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Teams Posted https://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sh ... -16-and-17
I believe girls are not for a couple weeks.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed May 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Most of my 16 favorites got the invite, surprised Adam Marshall didn’t make it, Must’ve had a couple mediocre games that I didn’t see

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:32 pm
Most of my 16 favorites got the invite, surprised Adam Marshall didn’t make it, Must’ve had a couple mediocre games that I didn’t see
Even though goalies rarely are picked on stats - Stark looked solid in giving up one goal all weekend and didn’t make 16s. Castro probably has had more looks based on the tier one schedule. Not a huge surprise he was picked. Some of the bigger surprises was the struggle of a lot of the goalies.

Hogg fresh off a state tourney probably was helped by that.

Would be curious to see the turnover from last years 16 to this year’s 17. Clafton didn’t make it obviously.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Even though goalies rarely are picked on stats - Stark looked solid in giving up one goal all weekend and didn’t make 16s. Castro probably has had more looks based on the tier one schedule. Not a huge surprise he was picked. Some of the bigger surprises was the struggle of a lot of the goalies.

Would be curious to see the turnover from last years 16 to this year’s 17. Clafton didn’t make it obviously.
So it looks like they selected one goalie who moved into MN less than a year ago and another who's moving out in the next 6 months.

I agree, goalie stats rarely seem to come into play. Sometimes the stats are indicative of play, but other times they can be misleading especially over a relatively short time period with limited opportunities under some circumstances and other times the people tracking shots are too busy on their phones to track shots accurately.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 am

North Branch, Dodge County, Coon Rapids...... and no Edina skaters? 🤷🏿‍♂️

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 am
North Branch, Dodge County, Coon Rapids...... and no Edina skaters? 🤷🏿‍♂️
No Minnetonka either. On surface appears no EP as well but Batchelder and L Mittelstadt have auto-bids to Nattys.

HockeyFan1969

Post by HockeyFan1969 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

InThePipes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 am
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 pm
WestMetro wrote:

So it looks like they selected one goalie who moved into MN less than a year ago and another who's moving out in the next 6 months.

I agree, goalie stats rarely seem to come into play. Sometimes the stats are indicative of play, but other times they can be misleading especially over a relatively short time period with limited opportunities under some circumstances and other times the people tracking shots are too busy on their phones to track shots accurately.
Has to be hard to evaluate goalies in these situations. Forwards backcheck a little less, dmen jumping the rush a little more. Limited number of shots can skew stats. Who is counting shots can skew stats. Team in front of a guy can play vastly different in each half. I always felt the guy who starts 2 of 3 games has something of an advantage in these showcases as the first 5-10 minutes always seem to be players getting a feel for each other. Sometimes a lot of shots, but often from the outside. 1 thing they could do to remedy that a little bit is to start each half at 0-0 since wins don't really matter anyways. Human nature says sometimes when you are down you hang your head a bit, sometimes when comfortably ahead guys try a little harder to "get theirs". The players are still looking at the scoreboard to some extent. All those factors effect a tendy. That said, overall I think that they made solid hockey decisions. Has to be a challenge for the evaluators.

Agree that some of the tendy's struggles were surprising. But you never know what is going on outside the rink. I know of 1 Final 54 goalie who had some things (family related) happening that had to have impacted his focus/play last week. Probably more pressure on goalies than other players at these things even though the games are essentially meaningless. All that said, I still think that Minnesota goalies tend to be underrated as compared to their counterparts from other parts of the country. I have seen most of both the 16 and 17 groups live over the years and they are all good tenders.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat May 04, 2019 1:19 am

I would hate to judge goalies as I couldn’t give two rats on stats. I want someone who is going to be efficient in net and be square to the puck with the necessary adjustments.

Looking back at goalies last few years

17s Louden Hogg
16s Anton Castro

17s Ethan Haider
16s Carter Clafton

17s Atticus Kelly
16s Ethan Haider (won 5 nations gold)

17s Jake Begley
16s Andy Beran and Todd Scott

Small sample size - but turnover obviously big outside of Haider. Another curious bit, many states send 2 goalies. Smaller send one. Why only one goalie in a state like this? You could have easily sent 2 from 16 or 17s. At large a second kid. If they didn’t the last 3 years - I doubt they’ll do it this year. One goalie per birth year isn’t an easy spot to make in a state like this.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat May 04, 2019 7:18 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:19 am
I would hate to judge goalies as I couldn’t give two rats on stats. I want someone who is going to be efficient in net and be square to the puck with the necessary adjustments.

Small sample size - but turnover obviously big outside of Haider. Another curious bit, many states send 2 goalies. Smaller send one. Why only one goalie in a state like this? You could have easily sent 2 from 16 or 17s. At large a second kid. If they didn’t the last 3 years - I doubt they’ll do it this year. One goalie per birth year isn’t an easy spot to make in a state like this.
Yeah, stats are often misleading, either they aren't tracked correctly to begin with or someone enters them in backwards, this happens A LOT.

With skaters people are easily wowed with speed, puck handling ability, an incredible shot and at times the players hockey sense or ability to control play is apparent. The same is true with goalies, although you don't often hear anyone making statements after the game about how quick the goalie was, what great focus they had, how he/she was consistently challenging the shooter, what incredible rebound control they had, etc. Generally people who aren't evaluating goalies are just concerned with how many goals were allowed and how many shots they saw. So when a goalie who had a .9XX save % for the weekend and didn't move on it there may be more to it, maybe they consistently laying on their backside after shots, maybe they are kicking their rebounds into the slot time and time again, maybe they are not challenging the shooter at all, but for that weekend they have a bulls-eye on their belly button?

One goalie per year out of MN is a very high bar, no doubt about that.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:46 am

The one goalie thing is what gets me. Not as sure at the 17 level, but there were at least 3 at the 16 level who are national camp caliber. One didn’t have the “stats,” and they obviously aren’t going to send 3, but at least do 2?

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:43 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:46 am
The one goalie thing is what gets me. Not as sure at the 17 level, but there were at least 3 at the 16 level who are national camp caliber. One didn’t have the “stats,” and they obviously aren’t going to send 3, but at least do 2?
The best 16 goalie didn’t even make it past the festival

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat May 04, 2019 11:40 am

bardown27 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:43 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
The best 16 goalie didn’t even make it past the festival
The good news is they will be drafted on Monday in the USHL Phase I draft as a consolation prize, 1-2 MN goalies are usually chosen, so they may need to live with recognition in that manner this year (assuming your evaluation of them is correct).

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
There always seems to be a little bit of an east coast bias to this for whatever reason. As an example at the 16's camp last year there were 3 from NY and 2 each from MI, MA, PA, IL and even AK. Only one from MN has gone at 16/17's in the last several years that I recall.