Transfers for 2019-20 season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

skillscoachtim
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by skillscoachtim » Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Two senior goalies in two years. Poaching upperclassmen is a classless move. Really makes you question the integrity of the program and school. Loahr might not have been an "aggressive " recruiter but he did it with integrity and class.

612hockeytown
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat May 04, 2019 12:55 am

bardown27 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:12 pm
blueblood wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:25 pm
if he's coaching his own TG players on the Blizzard, he's in violation of MSHSL rules. It's no different then Greenway players not eligible to play on Team North or EGF players not eligible to play on Great Plains during the Elite League season.
Parkos coaches the Blizzard. Caspers is a goalie for the Blizzard, but plays HS hockey in Marshall. He’s the goalie in question potentially transferring to TG, where Parkos coaches during the season.
Wasn’t Heffron (who transferred from Rosemount to TG this past year, sister still attends Rosemount HS- so they obviously didn’t move) a Blizzard player?? If so LMAO 😂

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by warriors41 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:00 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 am
USA218 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:06 am
Heard, but not confirmed, Warroad looking west for some help. 3 kids from Minot making move East to play for Warroad (boys side). One would guess these families have sisters who play as Warroad has been bringing in both boys and girls to take roster spots of kids that actually grew in the system for years.
A couple of jobs must have magically opened up at Marvin's. I am guessing the parents of these kids have the exact qualifications they were looking for. :roll:
I don’t know if this rumor is true or not. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Either way, Marvin’s hasn’t been on a hiring freeze for something like 8 years. They have plenty of openings listed on their website. If you are avid outdoorsman I’d recommend you take a look! Also, it only takes a high school equivalent to work in a production role. Your insinuation that they are opening jobs just for these people is ridiculous.

Hockeylogger
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by Hockeylogger » Sat May 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Warroad and everyone else in Section 8 better get on the recruiting trail if they want to keep pace with EGF. The starting goalie next year is a transfer from Grand Forks who sat out last year. Rumor has it a couple more blue chip recruits from the Grand Forks side have decided to move across the river instead of laying waste to ND high school hockey year after year.

Warroad always gets thrown under the bus on recruiting. The boys haven't had a meaningful non Warroad kid in a number of years, the girls team I'm not going to argue with you. What everyone selectively forgets is that EGF had a starting goalie from Moorhead a couple years ago and Nick Lund, a 40 goal scorer in ND his jr year at GFC that transferred over his senior year to EGF helping them reach the state tourney.

Maybe we could use the same thinking of many that post on here and insinuate that American Crystal Sugar is creating jobs for these families to help the hockey program in EGF :)

Stang5280
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by Stang5280 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:03 pm

skillscoachtim wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pm
Two senior goalies in two years. Poaching upperclassmen is a classless move. Really makes you question the integrity of the program and school. Loahr might not have been an "aggressive " recruiter but he did it with integrity and class.
While I agree with your general point, the situations are quite different. Howe was an excellent goalie stuck behind Glockner, and was never going to see enough playing time to have a shot at playing beyond high school had he stayed at Tonka. TG needed a goalie after losing one to transfer, and Howe was able to showcase his talents. I don’t see that as egregious poaching, though it is now creating a revolving door for that position.

InThePipes
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by InThePipes » Sat May 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:03 pm
skillscoachtim wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pm
Two senior goalies in two years. Poaching upperclassmen is a classless move. Really makes you question the integrity of the program and school. Loahr might not have been an "aggressive " recruiter but he did it with integrity and class.
While I agree with your general point, the situations are quite different. Howe was an excellent goalie stuck behind Glockner, and was never going to see enough playing time to have a shot at playing beyond high school had he stayed at Tonka. TG needed a goalie after losing one to transfer, and Howe was able to showcase his talents. I don’t see that as egregious poaching, though it is now creating a revolving door for that position.
Agree, the goalie gig is a tough one especially at a larger HS, I don't fault Howe at all for his move.

TTpuckster
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by TTpuckster » Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Hockeylogger wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:10 pm
Warroad and everyone else in Section 8 better get on the recruiting trail if they want to keep pace with EGF. The starting goalie next year is a transfer from Grand Forks who sat out last year. Rumor has it a couple more blue chip recruits from the Grand Forks side have decided to move across the river instead of laying waste to ND high school hockey year after year.

Warroad always gets thrown under the bus on recruiting. The boys haven't had a meaningful non Warroad kid in a number of years, the girls team I'm not going to argue with you. What everyone selectively forgets is that EGF had a starting goalie from Moorhead a couple years ago and Nick Lund, a 40 goal scorer in ND his jr year at GFC that transferred over his senior year to EGF helping them reach the state tourney.

Maybe we could use the same thinking of many that post on here and insinuate that American Crystal Sugar is creating jobs for these families to help the hockey program in EGF :)
Pure Hogwash!!!!
What is a Green Wave anyway?

rainier2
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by rainier2 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Hockeylogger wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:10 pm
Warroad and everyone else in Section 8 better get on the recruiting trail if they want to keep pace with EGF. The starting goalie next year is a transfer from Grand Forks who sat out last year. Rumor has it a couple more blue chip recruits from the Grand Forks side have decided to move across the river instead of laying waste to ND high school hockey year after year.

Warroad always gets thrown under the bus on recruiting. The boys haven't had a meaningful non Warroad kid in a number of years, the girls team I'm not going to argue with you. What everyone selectively forgets is that EGF had a starting goalie from Moorhead a couple years ago and Nick Lund, a 40 goal scorer in ND his jr year at GFC that transferred over his senior year to EGF helping them reach the state tourney.

Maybe we could use the same thinking of many that post on here and insinuate that American Crystal Sugar is creating jobs for these families to help the hockey program in EGF :)
Weren't Roth and Bethune both non-Warroad Warroad players? They were essentially the whole team, and that wasnt that long ago.

zooomx
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by zooomx » Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am

Hmm... it now seems like every team that has some semblance of success is a target on this board. I remember Luverne taking shots. Hermantown, Warroad, EGF, Alexandria, Orono, Totino Grace, and so on and so on and so on. These are just the Class A schools. Let's be honest about something. It is not necessarily the schools (or towns) themselves that are guilty of sinister deeds. It is the nature of the sport itself, or maybe even youth/high school sports in general. Our population is more mobile. Fewer people set down deep roots in their home community. They move around for better jobs and better opportunities. Couple this with the fact that more and more youth teams are travelling all over the state to play. Parents are exposed to the greener side of the fence. A Dad maybe standing around a rink talking to a Dad from a stronger program. He says something like "I would love to get the heck out of my small town". The other Dad says "what do you do for a living?" "Oh, you are an electrician? Our town is dying for more tradesmen! In fact, I know a guy who knows a guy." In many ways, it is the nature of the beast.

I think most of us can agree that it would be awesome if everyone just finishes out their career playing with their hometown buddies. In most cases, that would be best for the kid. But if Mom and/or Dad has had a wandering eye for a while, then it is almost natural that they make a move to greener pastures. When I grew up, most parents were not that crazy interested in what we were doing in youth or high school sports. Yes, the gym or rink was full, but they were all rooting for the team. Nowadays, they are more invested monetarily, and emotionally, with the individual player. Player/family mobility is here and is not going away. It is unfortunate, but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you cannot jam it back in. Communities that are more attractive to live in, for the most part, will get more move ins. Communities that are declining in opportunities, for the most part, will lose players and families. Generally, it is tied to economic health of the community or school. I think attacking the communities that benefit from this dynamic is not always fair. I get that it absolutely sucks for the communities that are losing players. I guess maybe it's better for the world at large for people to have a forum like this to bang their head against the wall in angst rather than go out in the real world and vent, but it does get tiresome.

rainier2
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by rainier2 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am

zooomx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am
Hmm... it now seems like every team that has some semblance of success is a target on this board. I remember Luverne taking shots. Hermantown, Warroad, EGF, Alexandria, Orono, Totino Grace, and so on and so on and so on. These are just the Class A schools. Let's be honest about something. It is not necessarily the schools (or towns) themselves that are guilty of sinister deeds. It is the nature of the sport itself, or maybe even youth/high school sports in general. Our population is more mobile. Fewer people set down deep roots in their home community. They move around for better jobs and better opportunities. Couple this with the fact that more and more youth teams are travelling all over the state to play. Parents are exposed to the greener side of the fence. A Dad maybe standing around a rink talking to a Dad from a stronger program. He says something like "I would love to get the heck out of my small town". The other Dad says "what do you do for a living?" "Oh, you are an electrician? Our town is dying for more tradesmen! In fact, I know a guy who knows a guy." In many ways, it is the nature of the beast.

I think most of us can agree that it would be awesome if everyone just finishes out their career playing with their hometown buddies. In most cases, that would be best for the kid. But if Mom and/or Dad has had a wandering eye for a while, then it is almost natural that they make a move to greener pastures. When I grew up, most parents were not that crazy interested in what we were doing in youth or high school sports. Yes, the gym or rink was full, but they were all rooting for the team. Nowadays, they are more invested monetarily, and emotionally, with the individual player. Player/family mobility is here and is not going away. It is unfortunate, but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you cannot jam it back in. Communities that are more attractive to live in, for the most part, will get more move ins. Communities that are declining in opportunities, for the most part, will lose players and families. Generally, it is tied to economic health of the community or school. I think attacking the communities that benefit from this dynamic is not always fair. I get that it absolutely sucks for the communities that are losing players. I guess maybe it's better for the world at large for people to have a forum like this to bang their head against the wall in angst rather than go out in the real world and vent, but it does get tiresome.
Please tell us the names of the people who force you to read these threads at gunpoint so that we can bring your oppressors to justice! :D

For me, it's the lame excuses of "development" and/or "getting noticed" as reasons to transfer. The moves are made because parents want their kids to play on a winning team, pure and simple. The indignity of playing for a mediocre or worse team is too much for them to bear.

I just wish they would own up to it and post something like this on Facebook:
"Our son Billy, for his senior year, will be transferring to Flavor-of-the-Month Academy, for strictly hockey-related reasons. It's not for development or to get noticed, as Billy is already an established talent, so obviously a few months in a new program won't make a significant difference in the player he ultimately becomes. We're moving him because our small-town school lost a lot to graduation this past season, so we would have been unlikely finish above .500 next year. Even though Billy doesn't seem to mind losing because he has so much fun playing with his lifelong friends, we, as parents, cannot stand the anguish of reading the avalanche of boastful Facebook posts and tweets from parents whose kids play on winning teams. It brings about severe FOMO, and unfortunately medicine doesn't have a pill to treat that yet. Yes, moving may deeply upset Billy, and his friends may unfairly label him a traitor, but what's important is that we try to fill the empty space inside us, and using teenagers as pawns in this futile pursuit is a price we are willing to pay."

Section 8 guy
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Well said Rainier. Lol.

Zoom, while I'd agree to a degree that the toothpaste is out of the tube.......I think your post is a bit of an over simplification. While all successful programs have taken at least a few shots on here my buck says that as a general rule, those successful programs that have a lot of shots taken at them......there's probably usually a reason for that. And those successful programs that don't take a lot of shots on here, there's probably usually a reason for that too. To say......people just move around....it is what it is, eliminates all context from the conversation. There are clearly programs that go about life in the new world the right way and there are clearly programs that don't. I'd bet that usually, not always, the old saying that where there's smoke there's fire applies here.

I think you can even make the case that the discussion about it on here and other places serves a bit of a policing purpose and that those that are crossing the boundaries on these things will think A bit more about if their situation is being discussed publicly. Those that are playing within the rules obviously don't need to do anything differently. Just a thought.

That said, I would agree that the fact that probably the longest thread on here by far is the Hermantown thread is a bit silly.

zooomx
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by zooomx » Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am
zooomx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am
Hmm... it now seems like every team that has some semblance of success is a target on this board. I remember Luverne taking shots. Hermantown, Warroad, EGF, Alexandria, Orono, Totino Grace, and so on and so on and so on. These are just the Class A schools. Let's be honest about something. It is not necessarily the schools (or towns) themselves that are guilty of sinister deeds. It is the nature of the sport itself, or maybe even youth/high school sports in general. Our population is more mobile. Fewer people set down deep roots in their home community. They move around for better jobs and better opportunities. Couple this with the fact that more and more youth teams are travelling all over the state to play. Parents are exposed to the greener side of the fence. A Dad maybe standing around a rink talking to a Dad from a stronger program. He says something like "I would love to get the heck out of my small town". The other Dad says "what do you do for a living?" "Oh, you are an electrician? Our town is dying for more tradesmen! In fact, I know a guy who knows a guy." In many ways, it is the nature of the beast.

I think most of us can agree that it would be awesome if everyone just finishes out their career playing with their hometown buddies. In most cases, that would be best for the kid. But if Mom and/or Dad has had a wandering eye for a while, then it is almost natural that they make a move to greener pastures. When I grew up, most parents were not that crazy interested in what we were doing in youth or high school sports. Yes, the gym or rink was full, but they were all rooting for the team. Nowadays, they are more invested monetarily, and emotionally, with the individual player. Player/family mobility is here and is not going away. It is unfortunate, but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you cannot jam it back in. Communities that are more attractive to live in, for the most part, will get more move ins. Communities that are declining in opportunities, for the most part, will lose players and families. Generally, it is tied to economic health of the community or school. I think attacking the communities that benefit from this dynamic is not always fair. I get that it absolutely sucks for the communities that are losing players. I guess maybe it's better for the world at large for people to have a forum like this to bang their head against the wall in angst rather than go out in the real world and vent, but it does get tiresome.
Please tell us the names of the people who force you to read these threads at gunpoint so that we can bring your oppressors to justice! :D

For me, it's the lame excuses of "development" and/or "getting noticed" as reasons to transfer. The moves are made because parents want their kids to play on a winning team, pure and simple. The indignity of playing for a mediocre or worse team is too much for them to bear.

I just wish they would own up to it and post something like this on Facebook:
"Our son Billy, for his senior year, will be transferring to Flavor-of-the-Month Academy, for strictly hockey-related reasons. It's not for development or to get noticed, as Billy is already an established talent, so obviously a few months in a new program won't make a significant difference in the player he ultimately becomes. We're moving him because our small-town school lost a lot to graduation this past season, so we would have been unlikely finish above .500 next year. Even though Billy doesn't seem to mind losing because he has so much fun playing with his lifelong friends, we, as parents, cannot stand the anguish of reading the avalanche of boastful Facebook posts and tweets from parents whose kids play on winning teams. It brings about severe FOMO, and unfortunately medicine doesn't have a pill to treat that yet. Yes, moving may deeply upset Billy, and his friends may unfairly label him a traitor, but what's important is that we try to fill the empty space inside us, and using teenagers as pawns in this futile pursuit is a price we are willing to pay."
There is literally a poster on this board who does stop by and holds my eyes open, forcing me to read these posts! :lol: I no longer have skin in the game, so my reasons for coming on here and commenting are similar to yours. You may fight for justice, and I fight for some levity in the conversation.

I agree with much you are saying about the parents in your scenario above. My point was more on people taking knocks at the programs or communities themselves. Per Section 8 guy, yes, a few of them do deserve it. It just feels like any successful program becomes guilty on this board for winning. I know in Alexandria, we have had a handful of move-ins over the past 10 years. Some were really strong players, some were not. The parents that I do know well moved here for multiple reasons. Primarily, they wanted to be in a more vibrant community with opportunities for their careers, and to have a great school for both academics and sports. Hockey always seemed like part of the equation, but not the driving force. I agree that the player moving his senior year just to avoid a sub par team season is beyond ridiculous. In summary, all I hope is that we can be more careful about lumping everyone into the same cesspool when it comes to these conversations.

warriors41
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by warriors41 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 am

rainier2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am
zooomx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am
Hmm... it now seems like every team that has some semblance of success is a target on this board. I remember Luverne taking shots. Hermantown, Warroad, EGF, Alexandria, Orono, Totino Grace, and so on and so on and so on. These are just the Class A schools. Let's be honest about something. It is not necessarily the schools (or towns) themselves that are guilty of sinister deeds. It is the nature of the sport itself, or maybe even youth/high school sports in general. Our population is more mobile. Fewer people set down deep roots in their home community. They move around for better jobs and better opportunities. Couple this with the fact that more and more youth teams are travelling all over the state to play. Parents are exposed to the greener side of the fence. A Dad maybe standing around a rink talking to a Dad from a stronger program. He says something like "I would love to get the heck out of my small town". The other Dad says "what do you do for a living?" "Oh, you are an electrician? Our town is dying for more tradesmen! In fact, I know a guy who knows a guy." In many ways, it is the nature of the beast.

I think most of us can agree that it would be awesome if everyone just finishes out their career playing with their hometown buddies. In most cases, that would be best for the kid. But if Mom and/or Dad has had a wandering eye for a while, then it is almost natural that they make a move to greener pastures. When I grew up, most parents were not that crazy interested in what we were doing in youth or high school sports. Yes, the gym or rink was full, but they were all rooting for the team. Nowadays, they are more invested monetarily, and emotionally, with the individual player. Player/family mobility is here and is not going away. It is unfortunate, but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you cannot jam it back in. Communities that are more attractive to live in, for the most part, will get more move ins. Communities that are declining in opportunities, for the most part, will lose players and families. Generally, it is tied to economic health of the community or school. I think attacking the communities that benefit from this dynamic is not always fair. I get that it absolutely sucks for the communities that are losing players. I guess maybe it's better for the world at large for people to have a forum like this to bang their head against the wall in angst rather than go out in the real world and vent, but it does get tiresome.
Please tell us the names of the people who force you to read these threads at gunpoint so that we can bring your oppressors to justice! :D

For me, it's the lame excuses of "development" and/or "getting noticed" as reasons to transfer. The moves are made because parents want their kids to play on a winning team, pure and simple. The indignity of playing for a mediocre or worse team is too much for them to bear.

I just wish they would own up to it and post something like this on Facebook:
"Our son Billy, for his senior year, will be transferring to Flavor-of-the-Month Academy, for strictly hockey-related reasons. It's not for development or to get noticed, as Billy is already an established talent, so obviously a few months in a new program won't make a significant difference in the player he ultimately becomes. We're moving him because our small-town school lost a lot to graduation this past season, so we would have been unlikely finish above .500 next year. Even though Billy doesn't seem to mind losing because he has so much fun playing with his lifelong friends, we, as parents, cannot stand the anguish of reading the avalanche of boastful Facebook posts and tweets from parents whose kids play on winning teams. It brings about severe FOMO, and unfortunately medicine doesn't have a pill to treat that yet. Yes, moving may deeply upset Billy, and his friends may unfairly label him a traitor, but what's important is that we try to fill the empty space inside us, and using teenagers as pawns in this futile pursuit is a price we are willing to pay."

For your earlier question, I think Roth graduated in 2013. Pretty sure he played 2 years of juniors before going to UMD. So probably about 6 years is my best guess. But even in his case, Marvin’s was still on a hiring freeze. I think his dad worked at the local grocery store when he lived there.

Which leads us back to your point about parents making excuses centered around “development” or “getting noticed.” I can only speak for Warroad since these are the cases I’m most familiar with. Kobe Roth moved from Iowa. Rumors are going around on here about kids moving from Minot. Heck, even T.J. Oshie moves from the Seattle area where he’d need to be driven several hours to make most of his games. Warroad provides year round ice essentially. For a lot of the kids who move to Warroad it is about development. The best way to improve is by spending time on the ice which is significantly easier to do in Warroad than Minot, ND.

hadenuf
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by hadenuf » Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am

Koby Roth is a 2015 high school grad. I remember him turning my son into a merry-go-round right before Christmas 2014. I think that was right before his hip issues.

OldGopherFan
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by OldGopherFan » Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 pm

The tough question is how do we change things. I feel good that a kid like Howe was able to make a move and get some playing time. He was talented but was going to sit. On the other hand, there are so many others that are transferring for all the reasons listed in earlier posts. My kids played on the southwest side of town and things changed a lot over the time they played and afterwards. Talented kids used to bounce back and forth between EP and Tonka depending on who was supposed to be stronger that year (example: Stu Bickell). There were always people upset by whomever left. Chaska lost most of their better players to privates and better teams once Chanhassen opened and the talent was divided. They struggled mightily. Now, Chaska is one of the biggest gainers from open enrollees(example: Pitlick). Minnetonka has also attracted more open enrollees after their success. Currently, EP and Tonka keep most of their kids. Meanwhile, Chanhassen, Shakopee and Waconia continue to lose most players that have success in their youth hockey programs. They try different things, but it all boils down to where the kids parents think he will be noticed. When I talked to a scout, he said "If they have talent, we will find them. It is what we get paid to do." However, if we look at any of the prospects games or awards(supposedly picked with input from scouts), it seems that being on a successful team really helps. As long as we reward kids more that play on successful teams the trend will continue. The interesting thing is that all the awards and accolades don't mean success after high school. If you look at Minnesota kids playing juniors successfully, you will say "I don't remember this kid". That is because he was not picked or mentioned for all the things the kids transferring are trying to get. However, the scouts saw him and brought him in. I always think of what would have changed if Boynton played for Tonka and Glockner played for Champlin. Who would have won the award? That makes me look at what things will look like in another five years. If some of the kids stay at the schools they started at, will we see kids transfer from EP to Shakopee or Chanhassen if they suddenly are "the team"? I have no great answer and no skin in this game. I also fell that the same stuff happens all over. I wish it was contained to small area but it is everywhere. I would love to see groups of kids come up through their program and make the town proud when they have success in high school. Then if the talent drops for a few years and some other school has success, so be it. I like going down to the tournament and cheering for a team that has not been there before. I also like seeing kids like Backes that stayed even though his HS team was going no where. Maybe taking the harder route made him the player he became.

rainier2
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by rainier2 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:32 pm

warriors41 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 am
rainier2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am
zooomx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:26 am
Hmm... it now seems like every team that has some semblance of success is a target on this board. I remember Luverne taking shots. Hermantown, Warroad, EGF, Alexandria, Orono, Totino Grace, and so on and so on and so on. These are just the Class A schools. Let's be honest about something. It is not necessarily the schools (or towns) themselves that are guilty of sinister deeds. It is the nature of the sport itself, or maybe even youth/high school sports in general. Our population is more mobile. Fewer people set down deep roots in their home community. They move around for better jobs and better opportunities. Couple this with the fact that more and more youth teams are travelling all over the state to play. Parents are exposed to the greener side of the fence. A Dad maybe standing around a rink talking to a Dad from a stronger program. He says something like "I would love to get the heck out of my small town". The other Dad says "what do you do for a living?" "Oh, you are an electrician? Our town is dying for more tradesmen! In fact, I know a guy who knows a guy." In many ways, it is the nature of the beast.

I think most of us can agree that it would be awesome if everyone just finishes out their career playing with their hometown buddies. In most cases, that would be best for the kid. But if Mom and/or Dad has had a wandering eye for a while, then it is almost natural that they make a move to greener pastures. When I grew up, most parents were not that crazy interested in what we were doing in youth or high school sports. Yes, the gym or rink was full, but they were all rooting for the team. Nowadays, they are more invested monetarily, and emotionally, with the individual player. Player/family mobility is here and is not going away. It is unfortunate, but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you cannot jam it back in. Communities that are more attractive to live in, for the most part, will get more move ins. Communities that are declining in opportunities, for the most part, will lose players and families. Generally, it is tied to economic health of the community or school. I think attacking the communities that benefit from this dynamic is not always fair. I get that it absolutely sucks for the communities that are losing players. I guess maybe it's better for the world at large for people to have a forum like this to bang their head against the wall in angst rather than go out in the real world and vent, but it does get tiresome.
Please tell us the names of the people who force you to read these threads at gunpoint so that we can bring your oppressors to justice! :D

For me, it's the lame excuses of "development" and/or "getting noticed" as reasons to transfer. The moves are made because parents want their kids to play on a winning team, pure and simple. The indignity of playing for a mediocre or worse team is too much for them to bear.

I just wish they would own up to it and post something like this on Facebook:
"Our son Billy, for his senior year, will be transferring to Flavor-of-the-Month Academy, for strictly hockey-related reasons. It's not for development or to get noticed, as Billy is already an established talent, so obviously a few months in a new program won't make a significant difference in the player he ultimately becomes. We're moving him because our small-town school lost a lot to graduation this past season, so we would have been unlikely finish above .500 next year. Even though Billy doesn't seem to mind losing because he has so much fun playing with his lifelong friends, we, as parents, cannot stand the anguish of reading the avalanche of boastful Facebook posts and tweets from parents whose kids play on winning teams. It brings about severe FOMO, and unfortunately medicine doesn't have a pill to treat that yet. Yes, moving may deeply upset Billy, and his friends may unfairly label him a traitor, but what's important is that we try to fill the empty space inside us, and using teenagers as pawns in this futile pursuit is a price we are willing to pay."

For your earlier question, I think Roth graduated in 2013. Pretty sure he played 2 years of juniors before going to UMD. So probably about 6 years is my best guess. But even in his case, Marvin’s was still on a hiring freeze. I think his dad worked at the local grocery store when he lived there.

Which leads us back to your point about parents making excuses centered around “development” or “getting noticed.” I can only speak for Warroad since these are the cases I’m most familiar with. Kobe Roth moved from Iowa. Rumors are going around on here about kids moving from Minot. Heck, even T.J. Oshie moves from the Seattle area where he’d need to be driven several hours to make most of his games. Warroad provides year round ice essentially. For a lot of the kids who move to Warroad it is about development. The best way to improve is by spending time on the ice which is significantly easier to do in Warroad than Minot, ND.
I thought I remembered Warroad taking some flak on the board for relying on Roth and Bethune, two transfers that hadn't been in Warroad very long. I'm not sure if this was the case, but using development as a reason for transfer really only holds water if it's done before bantams, and maybe even Pee Wees. How many kids are mediocre as a PW, but then go on to be D1 prospects? I'm sure it has happened, but I'd guess rarely.

7TIMECHAMPS
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

I want to say they arrived as bantams. Thinking second year but somebody could correct me. I remember Roseau’s strand/yon teams crushing Warroad in youth and when they got to high school they were close, really exciting games. I think Warroad may have even won more of the games.

With the groups coming through Warroad it will be interesting to see if they start getting some players moving in again. I can’t wait for the Roseau/Warroad games in the coming years. If you look at youth teams both should have some top end teams in their classes coming through. Should be fun!

Also, Warroad doesn’t have year round ice. I want to say it has been out for a week or two now and won’t go in until fall except for the hockey camp in the summer. Unless that has changed this year. There may be somebody that has more knowledge on that but usually I had thought it was out sometime in April/May and back September/Octoberish.

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:21 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:17 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:08 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:24 am


I had heard a couple of months ago that there was a Canadian import coming into TG to tend the net next season, but that could have fallen through.

TG will be getting a D from Wisconsin. Used to be a solid D, unsure of his ability now vs 2-3 years ago.
This is downright comical. So TG is now recruiting players from Canada, Wisconsin, and SW Minnesota?!
They were doing this in basketball way back in the early 90's, they brought in two studs from the Spanish National Team to make a march to State. Amazing that they both just happened to be exchange students at TG. Iker Iturbe was one, can't remember the name of the second, but Iturbe went on to play D1 hoops at Clemson.

Having the assistant coaching kids that happen to show up at TG is a nice touch

thefatcat
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by thefatcat » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am

WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm
GB, consistent with rumors I was hearing.

But, KP may be fishing for other Lake conference prospects??
Spoke with KP, he's done recruiting for the upcoming season :)

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Sounds like Jack Stark, goalie from Chaska is leaving to U16 in Sioux Falls. Interesting move to say the least... given the senior he split time with last year is now gone.

WestMetro
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by WestMetro » Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Consistent with my info, but thought Holy Family
might still be last minute possibility

WestMetro
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by WestMetro » Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 pm

FatCat , but did KP say “ as of right now?” No info on stealing another top young Bantam from a Section 2 competitor ?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm
Consistent with my info, but thought Holy Family
might still be last minute possibility
Yep been rumors abound for some time. However, HF was never really in mix, though wouldn’t doubt it was one of the rumors.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 pm
FatCat , but did KP say “ as of right now?” No info on stealing another top young Bantam from a Section 2 competitor ?
Not that this is always a dealbreaker, but it would be a gutsy and probably stupid choice to go to BSM right now if you’re a top 9th-12th grader. Almost no spots available to play right now.

InThePipes
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by InThePipes » Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm
Consistent with my info, but thought Holy Family
might still be last minute possibility
Yep been rumors abound for some time. However, HF was never really in mix, though wouldn’t doubt it was one of the rumors.
Interesting

Reason for leaving is that goalies who stay in MNHS recently are on a fast road to nowhere (not saying that's right) or another reason?

Post Reply