Transfers for 2019-20 season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by WestMetro » Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 pm
FatCat , but did KP say “ as of right now?” No info on stealing another top young Bantam from a Section 2 competitor ?
Not that this is always a dealbreaker, but it would be a gutsy and probably stupid choice to go to BSM right now if you’re a top 9th-12th grader. Almost no spots available to play right now.

62 -This one would be worth it , if in fact rumors true and if things progressed . BSm picks up another first year contributor and a rival loses one . MinnScout- can you squash rumors or keep them alive?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 pm
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm
Consistent with my info, but thought Holy Family
might still be last minute possibility
Yep been rumors abound for some time. However, HF was never really in mix, though wouldn’t doubt it was one of the rumors.
Interesting

Reason for leaving is that goalies who stay in MNHS recently are on a fast road to nowhere (not saying that's right) or another reason?
Everything I’m hearing is it’s about numbers of games. Not sure 35 U16 games is better than 20 MNHS games, but that’s another story.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 pm
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
FatCat , but did KP say “ as of right now?” No info on stealing another top young Bantam from a Section 2 competitor ?
Not that this is always a dealbreaker, but it would be a gutsy and probably stupid choice to go to BSM right now if you’re a top 9th-12th grader. Almost no spots available to play right now.

62 -This one would be worth it , if in fact rumors true and if things progressed . BSm picks up another first year contributor and a rival loses one . MinnScout- can you squash rumors or keep them alive?
Minnscout is involved with BSM so would know more on this situation that I, but the only section 2 players coming from Bantams that would crack BSM’s lineup that I can think of are:

Jackson Blake (a history of leaving for greener pastures, but seemingly committed to EPs program now from my understanding so doubtful)
Max Burkholder (not leaving Chaska)
Jimmy Snuggerud (definitely not leaving Chaska)
Will Schumacher (Possible only because I don’t know the kid, but PL is hardly a rival of BSM)
Am I missing another section 2 bantam??

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if BSM brings in a couple new players, but given the details of your rumor, WM, my deductive reasoning says it’s false.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 am

Rumor has it that there is another stud or two or three.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 am

WestMetro wrote:
Could be the case, haven't spoken with him in a few weeks, won't see him again until mid-June.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Mon May 27, 2019 1:59 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 am
WestMetro wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:

Minnscout is involved with BSM so would know more on this situation that I, but the only section 2 players coming from Bantams that would crack BSM’s lineup that I can think of are:

Jackson Blake (a history of leaving for greener pastures, but seemingly committed to EPs program now from my understanding so doubtful)
Will Schumacher (Possible only because I don’t know the kid, but PL is hardly a rival of BSM)

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if BSM brings in a couple new players, but given the details of your rumor, WM, my deductive reasoning says it’s false.
Aren't all of the kids you listed early 04's or mid to late 03's (freshman) which would necessitate them moving or sitting out a year to play at BSM?

I'd be curious to hear what 8th graders are incoming over and above the ones I already know about.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:51 am

Bump
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Mon May 27, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 pm
InThePipes wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:

Yep been rumors abound for some time. However, HF was never really in mix, though wouldn’t doubt it was one of the rumors.
Interesting

Reason for leaving is that goalies who stay in MNHS recently are on a fast road to nowhere (not saying that's right) or another reason?
Everything I’m hearing is it’s about numbers of games. Not sure 35 U16 games is better than 20 MNHS games, but that’s another story.
From the little I've seen and what I've heard he's a good goalie and it's become rare that the top goalies in MN play through high school anymore.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:23 am

thefatcat wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:59 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 am
WestMetro wrote:

Aren't all of the kids you listed early 04's or mid to late 03's (freshman) which would necessitate them moving or sitting out a year to play at BSM?

I'd be curious to hear what 8th graders are incoming over and above the ones I already know about.
Exactly. I’m sure they could find a way around the sitting out rule (perhaps by moving like you said), but all the more reason this specific bit of intel isn’t likely happening.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am

62, some of those names are also possible I suppose , since R Knights will be in the mix for a state championship and many kids will be trying to knock on the door, but Im thinking Section 6 instead (sorry, earlier reference to Section 2 in error, I keep mentally connecting to the old days )

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am
62, some of those names are also possible I suppose , since R Knights will be in the mix for a state championship and many kids will be trying to knock on the door, but Im thinking Section 6 instead (sorry, earlier reference to Section 2 in error, I keep mentally connecting to the old days )
Ahh section 6 makes more sense. Definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see an Edina or Wayzata (big surprise) kid or two make the jump over.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am

minnscout wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 am
Rumor has it that there is another stud or two or three.
Yes...do tell!

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 pm

InThePipes wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm
Consistent with my info, but thought Holy Family
might still be last minute possibility
Interesting

It’s been brought up a lot in recent topics - but name a 2000 birth year goalie and up (01/02/03) that stayed in high school and has committed to play college hockey? Some will yes- eventually, but many are now starting their first and second years of juniors (and only have 1-2 years of junior eligibility left). It’s tough. Scouts don’t take goalies serious in MNHS hockey. Stejskal (junior) and Haider (sophomore) are the only one I can think (recently in the last 5 years) of that committed while playing high school (before both left juniors). Imo both 100% made the right price. Jared Moe left after junior year, had a stellar year at Waterloo and turn committed to the U.

I’m sure I missed some? Even if so it’s not many.

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Wed May 29, 2019 11:53 pm

[quote=TTpuckster post_id=734984 time=1557026569 user_id=6445]
[quote=Hockeylogger post_id=734977 time=1556993444 user_id=21247]
Warroad and everyone else in Section 8 better get on the recruiting trail if they want to keep pace with EGF. The starting goalie next year is a transfer from Grand Forks who sat out last year. Rumor has it a couple more blue chip recruits from the Grand Forks side have decided to move across the river instead of laying waste to ND high school hockey year after year.

Warroad always gets thrown under the bus on recruiting. The boys haven't had a meaningful non Warroad kid in a number of years, the girls team I'm not going to argue with you. What everyone selectively forgets is that EGF had a starting goalie from Moorhead a couple years ago and Nick Lund, a 40 goal scorer in ND his jr year at GFC that transferred over his senior year to EGF helping them reach the state tourney.

Maybe we could use the same thinking of many that post on here and insinuate that American Crystal Sugar is creating jobs for these families to help the hockey program in EGF :)
[/quote]

Pure Hogwash!!!!
[/quote]

If this is pure hogwash why is Jeff Panzer's house for sale in Grand Fork's? I've heard it's a done deal that his kid is playing in EGF next year. A lot of people in EGF are going to have to quit throwing stones now that they live in a glass house.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 pm
InThePipes wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:

Interesting

It’s been brought up a lot in recent topics - but name a 2000 birth year goalie and up (01/02/03) that stayed in high school and has committed to play college hockey? Some will yes- eventually, but many are now starting their first and second years of juniors (and only have 1-2 years of junior eligibility left). It’s tough. Scouts don’t take goalies serious in MNHS hockey. Stejskal (junior) and Haider (sophomore) are the only one I can think (recently in the last 5 years) of that committed while playing high school (before both left juniors). Imo both 100% made the right price. Jared Moe left after junior year, had a stellar year at Waterloo and turn committed to the U.

Hedquist, Haider, Ullan, Bischel, Enright, Evenson, Moe, Robbel, Stauber, Stejkal are the 10 D1 committed goalies from 99 birth years forward and of that list one played their Sr year in high school.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 am

InThePipes wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 am
612hockeytown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

Interesting

Hedquist, Haider, Ullan, Bischel, Enright, Evenson, Moe, Robbel, Stauber, Stejkal are the 10 D1 committed goalies from 99 birth years forward and of that list one played their Sr year in high school.
Also Gabe Holum was on this list at one time, and could still be on it if he wanted to be. He is a 2000 and was a UND commit. But the kid is brilliant academically, wanted to go straight to college instead of play juniors, so he de-committed and is playing at D3 Concordia-Moorhead. In his Concordia hockey bio, he lists his post-college plans as "mathematician or Physicist" and his dream job is astronaut:

https://concordiamn.prestosports.com/sp ... s?view=bio

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 am

Karki at one point too I suppose.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 am

612hockeytown wrote:

[/quote]

While I completely agree with you, why is this in your opinion (bold and underlined above)?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 am

Lots of reasons scouts PROBABLY DON'T take HS goalies serious

1. 25-26 games of which 75% of them are simply not competitive one way or the other
2. Most HS goalies are not 6 foot tall
3. Almost all goalies are nothing more than target practice at HS (Coaches with little ability or time to focus on goalie drills)
4. The "shots" of most high school kids are sub par to that of most junior kids
5. As noted many times before, all Minnesota HS players (not only goalies) face similar "perceptions" from the scouts that they are weak, soft, country club mentality. Although I disagree, it's still a perception many scouts have about High School hockey in Minnesota

If my kid was a goalie and wanted to be a goalie at that next level, Sorry Minnesota high school, we are out of here as quickly as we can.

BleedGreen5

Post by BleedGreen5 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 am

Hockeylogger wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:53 pm
TTpuckster wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm
Hockeylogger wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:10 pm
Warroad and everyone else in Section 8 better get on the recruiting trail if they want to keep pace with EGF. The starting goalie next year is a transfer from Grand Forks who sat out last year. Rumor has it a couple more blue chip recruits from the Grand Forks side have decided to move across the river instead of laying waste to ND high school hockey year after year.

Warroad always gets thrown under the bus on recruiting. The boys haven't had a meaningful non Warroad kid in a number of years, the girls team I'm not going to argue with you. What everyone selectively forgets is that EGF had a starting goalie from Moorhead a couple years ago and Nick Lund, a 40 goal scorer in ND his jr year at GFC that transferred over his senior year to EGF helping them reach the state tourney.

Maybe we could use the same thinking of many that post on here and insinuate that American Crystal Sugar is creating jobs for these families to help the hockey program in EGF :)
Pure Hogwash!!!!

If this is pure hogwash why is Jeff Panzer's house for sale in Grand Fork's? I've heard it's a done deal that his kid is playing in EGF next year. A lot of people in EGF are going to have to quit throwing stones now that they live in a glass house.
Both the goalie this coming year and Lund left GF to go play AAA in South Dakota and per ND rules couldn't return to High School hockey. Basically were forced across the river and to the best of my knowledge were not openly recruited. Lund was a Puckhog (Dad was a East Sider), new goalie has thrown a wrench in to goalie position( Current parents are not overly happy about the situation) its a 50/50 proposition whether it's his job.
There is going to be at least 6 forwards along with returners, that aren't going to give Panzer's kid their jobs very easily, besides the fact that Dad is not a very endearing character from across the River.

If East Side was recruiting, could think of 6 players I would have chosen first from GF.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu May 30, 2019 11:44 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 am
5. As noted many times before, all Minnesota HS players (not only goalies) face similar "perceptions" from the scouts that they are weak, soft, country club mentality. Although I disagree, it's still a perception many scouts have about High School hockey in Minnesota
That's an (odd?) perception given how many skaters are drafted year after year and how many - even those that played to at least their Jr. year of h.s. - have made it as regulars in the NHL the past decade. Is it your opinion a significant MN HS skaters are being overlooked and/or drafted lower than they should be?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 pm

It's my opinion that SOME scouts "prefer" kids playing Tier 1 (or Juniors) over High School

Do I always agree with them...Of course not.. As with many things, sometime they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

Today GOOD scouts, college coaches and the top shelf advisers will rarely say "no worries jimmy and billy, just stay in High school until you graduate...You'll be fine" ....If you have the ability to play at the USHL level, they want you there as soon as you are ready.

High School hockey is hands down my favorite product to watch. But if the goal is to exceed to that next level (college) then the next level (pro), getting into a good junior program sooner than later is now the norm...5-10 years ago lots of MN kids went from HS straight to D-1....I'll be interested to see how that compares to what you will see 2,3,5 years from now....

Again..not hear to argue..Just giving you my opinion

USA218

Post by USA218 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm

BleedGreen5 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 am
Hockeylogger wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Pure Hogwash!!!!

Both the goalie this coming year and Lund left GF to go play AAA in South Dakota and per ND rules couldn't return to High School hockey. Basically were forced across the river and to the best of my knowledge were not openly recruited. Lund was a Puckhog (Dad was a East Sider), new goalie has thrown a wrench in to goalie position( Current parents are not overly happy about the situation) its a 50/50 proposition whether it's his job.
There is going to be at least 6 forwards along with returners, that aren't going to give Panzer's kid their jobs very easily, besides the fact that Dad is not a very endearing character from across the River.

If East Side was recruiting, could think of 6 players I would have chosen first from GF.
Lund left to play for Bismarck in NAHL and enrolled in school in Bismarck. That didnt pan out and was ineligible to play his Sr year in ND due to their transfer rules. His dad is from EGF and played out his Sr year there. Definitely not recruited!

Krier knew he was never going to play in Moorhead and moved to EGF his Jr year. He was ineligible for 1 year and missed several games in the beginning of his Sr season. He did not help EGF very much but did end up winning the starting position. I was told his move to EGF was more of a "parents pride" thing more than anything else. Definitely not recruited!

Cooly played his Sophomore year in Sioux Falls AAA. Didnt like the experience and moved back to GF. He was told he would be ineligible his Jr year due to ND rules. Family moved to EGF so he could play there. Ended up being ineligible due to ND paperwork not transferring over showing eligible to play in another state. Will be eligible his Sr year and will be a big upgrade to goaltender position! No way he is a 50/50. More like 90/10. He is good and has been a great teammate from everything I have been told. Definitely not recruited but came due to ND eligibility issues (which ended up costing him varsity time in EGF this past year). Current parents unhappy are maybe "goalie" parents, but I hear the kids love him.

Rumor is Jackson Panzer family moving from GF to EGF and know for sure their house is for sale in GF. Wants to play MN hockey instead of ND (who could blame him?). EGF will have deep team next year but this kid is good and will be a big addition and there is not another Freshman to-be even close to him in GF hockey! Again, not at all "recruited" as the family is making the decision to get out of ND high school hockey. Would be surprised if he is still here in 2 years (he is an '04) as he will probably move onto Jr hockey somewhere. If he does make the move, I dont see anyway hes not a top 6 (probably a top 3) forward immediately. He wont be given anything but I am confident he will prove that's where he belongs.

I am not aware of any other "blue chippers" moving to EGF, but if they are there is no one recruiting them or their families. And no one is creating any jobs for them to move in. The decision is the decision the family is making on their own.

Similar to what Moorhead has experienced in the past being a border city with ND. If kids want to play MN hockey it makes for any easy transition being separated by a 50 yard-wide river.

Different than Warroad where jobs are created for parents "blue chip" players.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu May 30, 2019 4:38 pm

USA218 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm
BleedGreen5 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 am
Hockeylogger wrote:

Lund left to play for Bismarck in NAHL and enrolled in school in Bismarck. That didnt pan out and was ineligible to play his Sr year in ND due to their transfer rules. His dad is from EGF and played out his Sr year there. Definitely not recruited!

Krier knew he was never going to play in Moorhead and moved to EGF his Jr year. He was ineligible for 1 year and missed several games in the beginning of his Sr season. He did not help EGF very much but did end up winning the starting position. I was told his move to EGF was more of a "parents pride" thing more than anything else. Definitely not recruited!

Cooly played his Sophomore year in Sioux Falls AAA. Didnt like the experience and moved back to GF. He was told he would be ineligible his Jr year due to ND rules. Family moved to EGF so he could play there. Ended up being ineligible due to ND paperwork not transferring over showing eligible to play in another state. Will be eligible his Sr year and will be a big upgrade to goaltender position! No way he is a 50/50. More like 90/10. He is good and has been a great teammate from everything I have been told. Definitely not recruited but came due to ND eligibility issues (which ended up costing him varsity time in EGF this past year). Current parents unhappy are maybe "goalie" parents, but I hear the kids love him.

Rumor is Jackson Panzer family moving from GF to EGF and know for sure their house is for sale in GF. Wants to play MN hockey instead of ND (who could blame him?). EGF will have deep team next year but this kid is good and will be a big addition and there is not another Freshman to-be even close to him in GF hockey! Again, not at all "recruited" as the family is making the decision to get out of ND high school hockey. Would be surprised if he is still here in 2 years (he is an '04) as he will probably move onto Jr hockey somewhere. If he does make the move, I dont see anyway hes not a top 6 (probably a top 3) forward immediately. He wont be given anything but I am confident he will prove that's where he belongs.

I am not aware of any other "blue chippers" moving to EGF, but if they are there is no one recruiting them or their families. And no one is creating any jobs for them to move in. The decision is the decision the family is making on their own.

Similar to what Moorhead has experienced in the past being a border city with ND. If kids want to play MN hockey it makes for any easy transition being separated by a 50 yard-wide river.

Different than Warroad where jobs are created for parents "blue chip" players.
Definitely agree that EGF has a big advantage having a pretty good size metro area right next door. Makes it easier for parents to switch over/get jobs in the area. Similar to what I have pointed out with Moorhead in the past. It certainly doesn't hurt. The difference of course is that EGF is a class A program. Really you could say that this is similar to a Hermantown/Duluth scenario, but on a little bit smaller scale.

The jobs being created in Warroad for blue chip players is oversold though. I am not saying that Warroad hasn't had their share of move-ins, they have and likely will again in the future. But to paint the picture that they pass out high level exec jobs to anyone with a good hockey playing kid just isn't true. If you can give me an example of time when this happened I might take that comment a little more seriously. And it can't be a job working as a laborer in the plant. They are always looking for people to do that. Anyone with a pulse can get a job right now and has been able to for while. 2000 people employed in a town with a population of 1700.

I have seen Panzer play (with the aviators) and do agree that this is a high impact pick up. I would even go so far as to say that he could challenge Parker for scoring leader next year.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Goalies in general commit at older age typically while playing Junior, it has nothing to do with MN HS Hockey.