Transfers for 2019-20 season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

muckandgrinder65

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 am

Speculating.............
The wish is he would get a bachelor pad back in St. Cloud. (He could stay with any teammate/host family after that. You know, an extended 'sleep-over')
The risks (as Westy has pointed out) may keep this from happening. Let's see how Elite League goes for Mack. Maybe he heads for the Blizzard?
He will be 19 in January.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am
I said “possibly” tricky ....

I’m not sure family has moved yet or what their plans are for moving

Meanwhile it’s possible he will be at SCC in two weeks

There are Forum people much closer to situation than me , if they want to comment

As I say, very doubtful they would put SCC at risk or that SCC coach would accept any risk.
The question I have is why would his family have to move? SCC is a private school, so why wouldn't he be able to enroll there? This isn't any different than any of the private schools in the Cities loading up their sports teams.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm

BSUBeaver wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm
WestMetro wrote:

There are Forum people much closer to situation than me , if they want to comment

As I say, very doubtful they would put SCC at risk or that SCC coach would accept any risk.
The question I have is why would his family have to move? SCC is a private school, so why wouldn't he be able to enroll there? This isn't any different than any of the private schools in the Cities loading up their sports teams.
Per MSHSL rules
"A transfer student is a student who discontinues enrollment and attendance
in any high school, public or non-public, and enrolls in any other high school
in Minnesota.
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic
competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the fi rst time;
2. Your entire family moves to a new residence in a different attendance area;
3. Your residence is changed pursuant to a court order;
4. Your biological or adoptive parents do not reside together and you move
from one parent to another (this option may be used just one time after
you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or
country.
If none of the above apply, you will be ineligible (for one calendar year from
the date of the transfer)

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:20 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm
BSUBeaver wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm
WestMetro wrote:

Per MSHSL rules
"A transfer student is a student who discontinues enrollment and attendance
in any high school, public or non-public, and enrolls in any other high school
in Minnesota.
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic
competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the fi rst time;
4. Your biological or adoptive parents do not reside together and you move
from one parent to another (this option may be used just one time after
you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or
country.
If none of the above apply, you will be ineligible (for one calendar year from
the date of the transfer)
Isn't there an exception under the Eligibility Review provisions whereby the two school ADs can agree to allow varsity eligibility as long as it is certified that no recruiting took place?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Elliott

Can you remember a high profile case were MSHSL actually enforced this rule? ie a family or school was caught red handed?

This deal is somewhat unique in that the kid is wanting to go back and play with his buddies and the only reason they left in the first place was a job transfer. For that reason I hope it works out for them

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

7. The six provisions above cannot be met and the principals and activities
directors from both the sending and receiving school agree that a varsity
competition eligibility review should be considered.

Not necessarily meaning it will be allowed.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Elliott

Can you remember a high profile case were MSHSL actually enforced this rule? ie a family or school was caught red handed?

This deal is somewhat unique in that the kid is wanting to go back and play with his buddies and the only reason they left in the first place was a job transfer. For that reason I hope it works out for them
I am sure it would be allowed.
IF, they follow the procedural rule.
IF they just do it and someone complains (which is likely) they will probably uphold the rule.

I hope for every ones' sake it works out.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Given the high profile of the family in question it is a safe assumption that he will be permitted to play wherever he decides.

Of course, that doesn't mean it is clear yet where that will be or how he's eligible.
Be kind. Rewind.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Anyone who thinks this player's tranfer will be denied under administrative review is extremely naive to Minnesota hockey politics.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm
Given the high profile of the family in question it is a safe assumption that he will be permitted to play wherever he decides.

Of course, that doesn't mean it is clear yet where that will be or how he's eligible.
As (almost) always, the Clown is right.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Elliott

It is almost always up to the AD. I’ve heard of many players who have transferred and had to play JV for a year or half of a year because they didn’t meet these requirements. I’ve also heard of many instances where these requirements weren’t met, the AD didn’t enforce the rules, and the MSHSL didn’t do anything about it.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Clown and GoBig, some have thought that the high profile might make it trickier than normal for MSHSL to approve the non move exception request by the principals and ADs, if that is the route taken.

Elliott, clarification please-does the family have until the official MSHSL start of the varsity hockey season to complete a move even if the youngster has already begun the year at the new school, if that is the route taken? One person has told me yes, the other person told me must be by start of school year.

BP

Post by BP » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:27 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm
Clown and GoBig, some have thought that the high profile might make it trickier than normal for MSHSL to approve the non move exception request by the principals and ADs, if that is the route taken.

Elliott, clarification please-does the family have until the official MSHSL start of the varsity hockey season to complete a move even if the youngster has already begun the year at the new school, if that is the route taken? One person has told me yes, the other person told me must be by start of school year.
West - it can up till the start of the season.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks BP!
Last edited by WestMetro on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm
In which case I think it is unlikely he'll enroll at Cathedral and then not be eligible to play. I could be wrong.
Be kind. Rewind.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Not knowing either AD/Principles at SCC or Tonka but would believe they would ok this.
Admin review committee would consider (I am sure there are more):
positives:
1. going AA to A
2. leaving high profile program to perhaps a lesser profile
3. going back to where he was prior to father taking a new job.
negative:
1. possibly going back because of an easier route to the state tourney.

positive outweigh the negatives

They will stamp it approved and in my mind rightfully so.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:11 pm
East side transfer drama finally unfolding , but may or may not be in the anticipated locations
Drama is not limited to the WestMetro, but waiting for East Siders to further comment on specifics at the appropriate time / times

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:16 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Not knowing either AD/Principles at SCC or Tonka but would believe they would ok this.
positives:
1. going AA to A
negative:

It still violates both the letter & spirit of the rule if tBob doesn’t physically move out of the Tonka SD into a different SD [-X Why should the sons of parents who aren’t prominent D1 coaches.NOT be allowed to do this & but this would be deemed OK?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:29 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 pm
positives:
1. going AA to A
negative:

How is going from AA to A considered a positive. To me that is a negative. Kid can't make a power school AA so he drops down to dominate at A. Which is your #2 Positive, which also doesn't make any sense. #3 is your only loophole.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:34 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm
WestMetro wrote:
East side transfer drama finally unfolding , but may or may not be in the anticipated locations
Drama is not limited to the WestMetro, but waiting for East Siders to further comment on specifics at the appropriate time / times
I can confirm the reason Austin Cooley was not eligible for varsity last year is due to the Grand Forks AD deaming him ineligible for Varsity athletics. They would not wave him as being ineligible in MN after his move. MNSHL would not listen to his argument as I understand it even though the family physically moved to EGF

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 pm

USA218 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:34 pm
WestMetro wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
I can confirm the reason Austin Cooley was not eligible for varsity last year is due to the Grand Forks AD deaming him ineligible for Varsity athletics. They would not wave him as being ineligible in MN after his move. MNSHL would not listen to his argument as I understand it even though the family physically moved to EGF
What??? If his family moved then he would of been Eligible look at the rules provided by posters above. If you move YOU ARE Eligible to play right away nothing a former AD can do about it.

The Motzko thing if true is sad. He played good minutes for them last year so has nothing to do with not being able to play AA hockey he did it last year. Sounds like a kid who was forced to move because of his Dad's job and just wants to play his senior year with his buddies he played with his whole life until last year. I would think he would win an appeal it makes sense to let him go home.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 pm
USA218 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:

What??? If his family moved then he would of been Eligible look at the rules provided by posters above. If you move YOU ARE Eligible to play right away nothing a former AD can do about it.

The Motzko thing if true is sad. He played good minutes for them last year so has nothing to do with not being able to play AA hockey he did it last year. Sounds like a kid who was forced to move because of his Dad's job and just wants to play his senior year with his buddies he played with his whole life until last year. I would think he would win an appeal it makes sense to let him go home.
True, he should have been eligible, but the AD from Grand Forks wouldn't send a transcript stating he was eligible for varsity sports. Guess the MNSHL didnt want to do anything to help the kid???

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am

USA218 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:
USA218 wrote:

True, he should have been eligible, but the AD from Grand Forks wouldn't send a transcript stating he was eligible for varsity sports. Guess the MNSHL didnt want to do anything to help the kid???
Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. If he moved in from another state, there shouldn't have been an issue. He wouldn't have needed anything from the AD in North Dakota. Must be more to the story. From the MSHSL website:

2. If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;
4. Your parents are divorced and you move from one parent to another.
(This option may be used just one time after you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or country.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am
USA218 wrote:
ClassAGuy wrote:

Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. If he moved in from another state, there shouldn't have been an issue. He wouldn't have needed anything from the AD in North Dakota. Must be more to the story. From the MSHSL website:

2. If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
Thank you that is what I was saying if he really moved then he could play Varisty nothing a former AD can do. That story you have is either full of half-truths or he didn't move. If you move you are Eligible to play regardless of former school. Why you see so many Metro schools having kids make up fake addresses or they rent apartments. The MSHSL does not ever investigate so really why have rules that you don't even enforce??

Yet in the Motzko case here is a kid that just wants to go home and play his parents got a new job and he was relocated because of it and had a bad experience at his new school which happens a lot. Wants to go home with his buddies and the High School League will deny him yet be sure that Benilde, Holy Family, Blake will have a few on their roster with kids that "Moved" ... The Huber case at Holy Family last year case in point. People break these rules all the time and yet a kid in the Motzko situation who wants to follow the process gets screwed.

Makes no sense... I am all for rules but if you are going to have them then you got to enforce them because right now we all know kids are gonna be playing varsity with new shiny addresses that they will NOT reside in. This happens in all sports not just hockey!

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am
GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am
USA218 wrote:

Yet in the Motzko case here is a kid that just wants to go home and play his parents got a new job and he was relocated because of it and had a bad experience at his new school which happens a lot. Wants to go home with his buddies and the High School League will deny him yet be sure that Benilde, Holy Family, Blake will have a few on their roster with kids that "Moved" ... The Huber case at Holy Family last year case in point. People break these rules all the time and yet a kid in the Motzko situation who wants to follow the process gets screwed.

Makes no sense... I am all for rules but if you are going to have them then you got to enforce them because right now we all know kids are gonna be playing varsity with new shiny addresses that they will NOT reside in. This happens in all sports not just hockey!
All I’m saying is that if Motzko wants to play at SCC, especially in his case, the rules need to be followed to the T, without exception. Otherwise, why bother having any rules against transferring (as a HS athlete). ??? He got to play last year on the defending AA Champs with 2 Mr Hockey finalists & a Frank B. finalist. Got to play in HDM & on the #1 ranked team first half of season. Not exactly a hardship situation IMO. #-o :lol: