Transfers for 2019-20 season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckNA

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by PuckNA » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:35 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm
PuckNA wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm
Rumor mill says EP player (who hasn't played HS yet) won't be at EP when season starts... probably not ever... then again... maybe a rumor.
Puck , I reconfirmed as best I could tonight that Langenbrunner, Busby , Steeves, and Blake are all locked in. Although, as always , any Forum input to the contrary , or other player insight, is always appreciated
Am I the only one who thinks Blake is way, way, way, way over-rated, and too slight for varsity hockey?
I am also in that camp, over hyped because of dad and YHH, at HS level would get pummeled (we'll see how HSEL goes), I think. Don't get me wrong he does well in situations where physicality is at a minimum, kids forget about him because of his lack of size, he sees ice well, plays to his strengths and doesn't try to do more. I just don't see they same as other do. He gets away with cheap stuff due to lack of size, and when he gets hit it's almost always a penalty because its a train wreck or he is below the hitters shoulders and it's head contact. Just my thoughts and what I've seen, might be a great kid, might have a great future.... has managed do well so far.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 am

Appears Totino is getting a freshman goalie that played the last couple years with Gentry's '04 team. Probably not any varsity impact this year, but the Eagles have a good goalie for the future.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Before this thread goes dormant at 55000 posts and 20 pages (second only to Hermantown Thread?), will people with contacts at various high schools with potential transfers still in question please post their contacts first hand information on Tuesday.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:53 am

Why?
Play Like a Champion Today

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:17 pm

blueblood wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:53 am
Why?
Because that’s the 1st day of HS classes in MN (for public schools) 😉

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:02 pm

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:02 pm
Motzko is eligible at SCC

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouthHockeyH ... 2798243843
In the end we all knew this would be the result. But if proper protocol wasn’t followed (a family move out of Tonka SD) it’s a black eye on the hypocrisy associated with MSHSL rules & decisions ☝️

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 am

hockey59 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm
WestMetro wrote:

In the end we all knew this would be the result. But if proper protocol wasn’t followed (a family move out of Tonka SD) it’s a black eye on the hypocrisy associated with MSHSL rules & decisions ☝️
Have you read the COMPLETE rules surrounding transfer eligibility and the reviews and circumstances they can take into consideration when deciding eligibility? Obviously you haven't if you think that the ONLY protocol for eligibility is a family move. There are cut and dried reasons for eligibility which are black and white. Then they have two pages of a review process and items that are needed to be considered by the board. Educate yourself on the whole process and what is considered during the review...take your emotion, feelings, opinions out of it and research the facts and the rules in place...and if you don't like the rules, petition the MSHSL to get them changed.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am

knights58 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 am
hockey59 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:

Have you read the COMPLETE rules surrounding transfer eligibility and the reviews and circumstances they can take into consideration when deciding eligibility? Obviously you haven't if you think that the ONLY protocol for eligibility is a family move. There are cut and dried reasons for eligibility which are black and white. Then they have two pages of a review process and items that are needed to be considered by the board. Educate yourself on the whole process and what is considered during the review...take your emotion, feelings, opinions out of it and research the facts and the rules in place...and if you don't like the rules, petition the MSHSL to get them changed.
I have no emotion about this whatsoever, my 2 sons completed their varsity eligibility several years ago. But Mack’s case is simply not a “hardship” case, anyone with common sense can see that.☝️And funny how there is absolutely no transperity associated how this was approved or reason given associated with how this transfer was approved by the MSHSL. Simply sweep it under the rug and it’s all good, right? LMAO 😂

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am
knights58 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

I have no emotion about this whatsoever, my 2 sons completed their varsity eligibility several years ago. But Mack’s case is simply not a “hardship” case, anyone with common sense can see that.☝️And funny how there is absolutely no transperity associated how this was approved or reason given associated with how this transfer was approved by the MSHSL. Simply sweep it under the rug and it’s all good, right? LMAO 😂
What makes me LMAO is you speak like you have some authority or knowledge of this situation. how do YOU know what type of "case" this is? Do you know the case and everything involved? We all know the answer to that. What transparency or reason do you deserve to be given? NONE...what's being "swept" under the rug? What are they doing, outside of the rules established? What EXACTLY is being swept under the rug...please share your inside information and evidence. Again, you know nothing...but you can certainly throw out an uneducated opinion which is your right. It's hilarious how you speak with authority on a case you literally know NOTHING about...Really, again, this all comes down to if you don't like the rules, or it's not "transparent" enough for you, petition the MSHSL and get them to explain everything to you and get the rules changed. Otherwise, don't share your personal opinion as FACT.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am

knights58 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 am
hockey59 wrote:
knights58 wrote:

What makes me LMAO is you speak like you have some authority or knowledge of this situation. how do YOU know what type of "case" this is? Do you know the case and everything involved? We all know the answer to that. What transparency or reason do you deserve to be given? NONE...what's being "swept" under the rug? What are they doing, outside of the rules established? What EXACTLY is being swept under the rug...please share your inside information and evidence. Again, you know nothing...but you can certainly throw out an uneducated opinion which is your right. It's hilarious how you speak with authority on a case you literally know NOTHING about...Really, again, this all comes down to if you don't like the rules, or it's not "transparent" enough for you, petition the MSHSL and get them to explain everything to you and get the rules changed. Otherwise, don't share your personal opinion as FACT.
LMAO...who is getting emotional now? What would be the point of petitioning the MSHSL about rule changes. The current transfer rules are already a joke. But when Hermantown and SCC play for the little title in March...I think I might root for the Hawks (now) 😳 🤣
Last edited by hockey59 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 am

knights58 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
knights58 wrote:

Huh.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am
knights58 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

LMAO...who is getting emotional now? What would be the point of petitioning the MSHSL about rule changes. The current transfer rules are already a joke. But when Hermantown and SCC play for the little title in March...I think I might root for the Hawks (now) 😳 🤣
LOL..oh no, one less person rooting for SCC...whatever will they do?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am

I have no dog in this fight and have stated I'm okay with him going back...

But from a learning the rules standpoint, how is it he's allowed to go back and play if I quote the newspaper article "he will stay with friends and family during the season"

Is it as simple as getting both AD's to agree? Does someone in St Cloud have to be assigned "legal guardian"? He is 18...does that come into play?

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

if you go to the rules on eligibility on the MSHSL website, there are quite a few pages on eligibility. There are some absolute black and white rules...where if one is met, it's a no brainer. Then there are two pages on "transfer Eligibility" where there are multiple things considered, including testimony or documents from both schools involved in the potential transfer of the student etc. They take many different scenarios into consideration. Again...these are the rules and they state them on their web site. Why they come to their final decision, yes or no, who knows? That's the key..who knows? everything is just speculation and should be taken as such.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am

But from a learning the rules standpoint, how is it he's allowed to go back and play if I quote the newspaper article "he will stay with friends and family during the season"

Is it as simple as getting both AD's to agree? Does someone up there have to be assigned "legal guardian"? He is 18...does that come into play?
His Family did not move, so that leaves 7 circumstances in which you can request a review by the MSHSL:

1. You transfer to a new High School within the same school district. No
2. A change in Family Circumstances such as adoption, abandonment, or death of a parent. No
3. A substantial negative change in your family's economic status. For example, if one or both parent(s) loses their job or other means of income. No
4. School Student Bullying or Harassment as identified in Minnesota State Statutes 121A.03 and 121A.031. ?
5. Administrative error. For example, the receiving school misapplied MSHSL bylaws or policies. No
6. You have completed a licensed program for chemical dependency or mental illness and the receiving school will better serve the Student's needs. ?

7. If the six provisions above cannot be met and the principals and activities directors from both the sending and receiving school agree that a varsity competition eligibility review should be considered. (Guessing that's our Bingo)

Would it be in the Minnetonka program's best interests to help this kid out? If his Dad was a Plumber and he was trying to go to Holy Family, would it have all turned out the same? Asking for a friend.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm

For any conspiracy theorists out there......I am fairly certain exception #7 did not exist a year ago.

HockeyFan1969

Post by HockeyFan1969 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

Is it as simple as getting both AD's to agree? Does someone up there have to be assigned "legal guardian"? He is 18...does that come into play?
His Family did not move, so that leaves 7 circumstances in which you can request a review by the MSHSL:

2. A change in Family Circumstances such as adoption, abandonment, or death of a parent. No
3. A substantial negative change in your family's economic status. For example, if one or both parent(s) loses their job or other means of income. No
4. School Student Bullying or Harassment as identified in Minnesota State Statutes 121A.03 and 121A.031. ?
5. Administrative error. For example, the receiving school misapplied MSHSL bylaws or policies. No
6. You have completed a licensed program for chemical dependency or mental illness and the receiving school will better serve the Student's needs. ?

7. If the six provisions above cannot be met and the principals and activities directors from both the sending and receiving school agree that a varsity competition eligibility review should be considered. (Guessing that's our Bingo)

Would it be in the Minnetonka program's best interests to help this kid out? If his Dad was a Plumber and he was trying to go to Holy Family, would it have all turned out the same? Asking for a friend.
I think your bingo is probably spot on. My understanding is that circumstance 7 is a large part of these discussions/decisions at this time. I know a player that went through the process in 2018/2019. Releasing school fought against allowing eligibility. Was basically told if releasing school was OK with it he would probably win his eligibility. Didnt happen and player was ruled ineligible. I dont think the Motzko deal is any sort of conspiracy or favor to them. I just think the schools agreed to make it work.

No chance if his Dad was a plumber, now an electrician... maybe, since they are in very short supply right now.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm
For any conspiracy theorists out there......I am fairly certain exception #7 did not exist a year ago.
It went into place for the 2017-18 school year.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm

HockeyFan1969 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

I think your bingo is probably spot on. My understanding is that circumstance 7 is a large part of these discussions/decisions at this time. I know a player that went through the process in 2018/2019. Releasing school fought against allowing eligibility. Was basically told if releasing school was OK with it he would probably win his eligibility. Didnt happen and player was ruled ineligible. I dont think the Motzko deal is any sort of conspiracy or favor to them. I just think the schools agreed to make it work.

No chance if his Dad was a plumber, now an electrician... maybe, since they are in very short supply right now.
I have no problem with MM playing for SCC. But at least be transparent...that in his case...a little known, and seldom approved “exception” to the so called (Black & White rule-his family did not move) MSHSL rules (listed above)was granted (in this particular case). So I guess if Blake Biondi REALLY, REALLY wanted to play AA Hockey this winter & the Hermantown & DE AD’s signed off on it...he’d be playing for the Hounds this winter. Aces 👍

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Good luck to Crusaders and Skips this season!

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Do we know how many times since #7 was added has the High School league still said NO (even after both AD's signed off on it)?

To me, once they added in #7 the flood gates are now wide open....A good number of AD's could care less about hockey and will sign a piece of paper for any family wanting to leave. And if, for some strange reason, the AD wouldn't sign it, couldn't the family just scream "Bullied" The school would immediately panic and sign anything just to get them to go away

I wouldn't be surprised if soon you see a kid play 3 years of high school hockey..... for three different teams

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 pm

HockeyFan1969 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

First of all, I've stated before that I hoped he ended up back at Cathedral. I would like to see them win it again this year and next year and then move up so we get another out-state AA team. They are our only chance at an opt-up, would be a great fit in 8AA and I think that's the greater good. Especially with Alex and Sartell not far behind. If they waste that opportunity then they are no better than Hermantown and will deserve the same shame.

But that doesn't change the fact that #7 is an absolute joke. It renders every other rule invalid and useless. There is no way it can be fairly applied. You can't meet any of the 12 legitimate exceptions that we have listed? Oh wait a minute, there is another option here. If your sending school agrees to let you go, you're in! It is entirely up to the sending school, how can that be even remotely fair? 95% of schools are not going to give up a player unless there is something in it for them. Why would they? How many people here think that if Charlie Glockner wanted to go to Chaska last year that Minnetonka would have, "made it work?"

Do you think the AD at Tonka is aware that he has a younger brother remaining at Tonka, who was a goalie on the Bantam AA team as an 8th grader? I've never seen the kid play, but I'm guessing if you can make 1 of 2 Bantam AA spots in your first year for a program like Tonka, you're probably pretty darn good. Keeping the coach of the Gophers happy and having one of his kids playing there probably isn't the worst thing for a program either.

I'm not saying they did the family a favor. I have no way of knowing that. What I am saying is that it looks bad and this Rule #7 is ridiculous.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:06 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Do we know how many times since #7 was added has the High School league still said NO (even after both AD's signed off on it)?

To me, once they added in #7 the flood gates are now wide open....A good number of AD's could care less about hockey and will sign a piece of paper for any family wanting to leave. And if, for some strange reason, the AD wouldn't sign it, couldn't the family just scream "Bullied" The school would immediately panic and sign anything just to get them to go away

A couple things with the "bulllied" rule. 1) It needs to be documented with the school. If not - it won't hold up the MSHSL turns it down. 2) No WAY a school would sign off on that to get them away. You are admitting that you have kids that bullied a kid and did nothing about it. You are setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

In regards to AD's signing off - the AD's usually ask the coach if they should sign off on it. AD's aren't typically close enough to the situation. Some coaches say no way, some coaches want a problem to leave or if the kid will never play - let him go play somewhere else.