Transfers for 2019-20 season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: Transfers for 2019-20 season

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am
GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am

Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. If he moved in from another state, there shouldn't have been an issue. He wouldn't have needed anything from the AD in North Dakota. Must be more to the story. From the MSHSL website:

2. If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;
2. Your entire family moves to a new residence in a different attendance area;
3. Your residence is changed pursuant to a court order;
4. Your parents are divorced and you move from one parent to another.
(This option may be used just one time after you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or country.

Yet in the Motzko case here is a kid that just wants to go home and play his parents got a new job and he was relocated because of it and had a bad experience at his new school which happens a lot. Wants to go home with his buddies and the High School League will deny him yet be sure that Benilde, Holy Family, Blake will have a few on their roster with kids that "Moved" ... The Huber case at Holy Family last year case in point. People break these rules all the time and yet a kid in the Motzko situation who wants to follow the process gets screwed.

Makes no sense... I am all for rules but if you are going to have them then you got to enforce them because right now we all know kids are gonna be playing varsity with new shiny addresses that they will NOT reside in. This happens in all sports not just hockey!
All I’m saying is that if Motzko wants to play at SCC, especially in his case, the rules need to be followed to the T, without exception. Otherwise, why bother having any rules against transferring (as a HS athlete). ??? He got to play last year on the defending AA Champs with 2 Mr Hockey finalists & a Frank B. finalist. Got to play in HDM & on the #1 ranked team first half of the season. Not exactly a hardship situation IMO. #-o :lol:
100% agree with you just sad that he will likely be denied because he will follow the rules and yet there will be others who take the loopholes and the high school league will look the other way. My point isn't that he should be allowed back at SCC, my opinion is yes he should because to me it makes sense, however, if he is denied and yet others who DONT follow the rules and fake addresses are allowed to play then a double standard has been created.

I will get off my soapbox just I think the rules are silly when they don't enforce them every year we see people that do shady things and the high school league does nothing. Yet you also hear stories of people trying to do it the right way and then get denied that was my issue.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

The Motzko kid will not get screwed. The ADs will sign off no problem. All Bob has to say is, "do you want any of your athletes to have a chance to play for the Gophers, while I'm the coach?" Not saying it will come to that, but there is no way any AD would stand in the way knowing that is a possibility.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:10 am

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am
The Motzko kid will not get screwed. The ADs will sign off no problem. All Bob has to say is, "do you want any of your athletes to have a chance to play for the Gophers, while I'm the coach?" Not saying it will come to that, but there is no way any AD would stand in the way knowing that is a possibility.
I don't think you read the rules above.

Even if both AD's sign off it just means that Varsity would be CONSIDERED.

I know for a fact of cases where both AD's Signed off and the Athlete was still denied by the High School League Committee that heard the appeal. Just because the AD's from both school's sign off doesn't mean a slam dunk for approval.

Which is my point it's almost encouraging people to just fake addresses it's better to do the loophole and break the rules because the High School League won't enforce it. Then try go through the process the right way. Why have the rules??

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
GoBigorGoHome wrote:
USA218 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 pm

True, he should have been eligible, but the AD from Grand Forks wouldn't send a transcript stating he was eligible for varsity sports. Guess the MNSHL didnt want to do anything to help the kid???
Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. If he moved in from another state, there shouldn't have been an issue. He wouldn't have needed anything from the AD in North Dakota. Must be more to the story. From the MSHSL website:

2. If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
Thank you that is what I was saying if he really moved then he could play Varisty nothing a former AD can do. That story you have is either full of half-truths or he didn't move. If you move you are Eligible to play regardless of former school. Why you see so many Metro schools having kids make up fake addresses or they rent apartments. The MSHSL does not ever investigate so really why have rules that you don't even enforce??

Yet in the Motzko case here is a kid that just wants to go home and play his parents got a new job and he was relocated because of it and had a bad experience at his new school which happens a lot. Wants to go home with his buddies and the High School League will deny him yet be sure that Benilde, Holy Family, Blake will have a few on their roster with kids that "Moved" ... The Huber case at Holy Family last year case in point. People break these rules all the time and yet a kid in the Motzko situation who wants to follow the process gets screwed.

Makes no sense... I am all for rules but if you are going to have them then you got to enforce them because right now we all know kids are gonna be playing varsity with new shiny addresses that they will NOT reside in. This happens in all sports not just hockey!
Not exactly true. Nobody has posted the very first part of the Transfer rule.

From the 2019-2020 MSHSL Official Handbook
Section 100.00 - General Eligibility Bylaws
Bylaw 111.00 - Transfer and Residence (Page 21)

1. Domestic Students
A. A transfer Student is eligible for varsity competition provided the student was in Good Standing on the date of withdrawal from the last school the student attended and (1) of the provisions in Section B below is met:

So if the former school would not/could not certify that he was in good standing, the original poster could be correct. Could very well be more to the story.....

As far as the Motzko situation, I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as, "Dad got a new job and I had to move."

Why did he have to move? I think it's important to note that he had the option to stay at Cathedral and be fully eligible. Could have got his own apartment, lived with a buddy, whatever he wanted. Is that impractical for a kid to do? Maybe. But it sounds like that's exactly what he wants to do right now. He moved and played for the Defending AA Champs, who were favored to win it again. Meanwhile, Cathedral wins State and is highly favored to win it again this year. Minnetonka, not so much. Maybe not as cut and dried as, "I just want to play with my buddies."

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
GoBigorGoHome wrote:

Thank you that is what I was saying if he really moved then he could play Varisty nothing a former AD can do. That story you have is either full of half-truths or he didn't move. If you move you are Eligible to play regardless of former school. Why you see so many Metro schools having kids make up fake addresses or they rent apartments. The MSHSL does not ever investigate so really why have rules that you don't even enforce??

Not exactly true. Nobody has posted the very first part of the Transfer rule.

From the 2019-2020 MSHSL Official Handbook
Section 100.00 - General Eligibility Bylaws
Bylaw 111.00 - Transfer and Residence (Page 21)

1. Domestic Students
A. A transfer Student is eligible for varsity competition provided the student was in Good Standing on the date of withdrawal from the last school the student attended and (1) of the provisions in Section B below is met:

So if the former school would not/could not certify that he was in good standing, the original poster could be correct. Could very well be more to the story.....

As far as the Motzko situation, I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as, "Dad got a new job and I had to move."

Why did he have to move? I think it's important to note that he had the option to stay at Cathedral and be fully eligible. Could have got his own apartment, lived with a buddy, whatever he wanted. Is that impractical for a kid to do? Maybe. But it sounds like that's exactly what he wants to do right now. He moved and played for the Defending AA Champs, who were favored to win it again. Meanwhile, Cathedral wins State and is highly favored to win it again this year. Minnetonka, not so much. Maybe not as cut and dried as, "I just want to play with my buddies."
Great post that helps me with the EGF kid. That does help I didnt realize that part of the bylaws. More POINTLESS rules.

Good Kids who want to follow procedure get deemed unable to play. Meanwhile, if you just cheat the rules play right away.

That is more my issue the High School League by only punishing kids who try to do it the right way and letting SO MANY others cheat the system and play is almost in away screaming.... DONT FOLLOW THE RULES... Then they can look the other way. I just think get rid of the rules if you dont want to enforce them that is my main issue today.

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 pm
USA218 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:34 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm

Drama is not limited to the WestMetro, but waiting for East Siders to further comment on specifics at the appropriate time / times
I can confirm the reason Austin Cooley was not eligible for varsity last year is due to the Grand Forks AD deaming him ineligible for Varsity athletics. They would not wave him as being ineligible in MN after his move. MNSHL would not listen to his argument as I understand it even though the family physically moved to EGF
What??? If his family moved then he would of been Eligible look at the rules provided by posters above. If you move YOU ARE Eligible to play right away nothing a former AD can do about it.

The Motzko thing if true is sad. He played good minutes for them last year so has nothing to do with not being able to play AA hockey he did it last year. Sounds like a kid who was forced to move because of his Dad's job and just wants to play his senior year with his buddies he played with his whole life until last year. I would think he would win an appeal it makes sense to let him go home.

I agree with you ClassA guy...he's not moving from AA to A to dominate anything. There are 3 D1 commits on SCC already with two more in the wings...Mack is a very good player, but he's not even attempting to move to dominate his own A team. He will be "one of the guys". The rules are rules and they will figure it out....but I think they will consider that Mack grew up and played with all these kids up until his junior year. He was put in a tough situation when his dad got a job and moved to be with the family. He wants to be back with his long time "family" or buds and finish his high school career with them. I would think there are many things to consider..but him moving from AA to A to dominate is NOT one of them. I think the huge difference in Mack's case compared with many (not all) is the intentions here are very innocent on Mack's part. Now again...we're all speculating..we don't know all the facts etc. I wish the best for Mack regardless of whether he plays SCC, Tonka, or JR's. He's a great young man.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 pm

knights58 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:
USA218 wrote:

I can confirm the reason Austin Cooley was not eligible for varsity last year is due to the Grand Forks AD deaming him ineligible for Varsity athletics. They would not wave him as being ineligible in MN after his move. MNSHL would not listen to his argument as I understand it even though the family physically moved to EGF
What??? If his family moved then he would of been Eligible look at the rules provided by posters above. If you move YOU ARE Eligible to play right away nothing a former AD can do about it.

The Motzko thing if true is sad. He played good minutes for them last year so has nothing to do with not being able to play AA hockey he did it last year. Sounds like a kid who was forced to move because of his Dad's job and just wants to play his senior year with his buddies he played with his whole life until last year. I would think he would win an appeal it makes sense to let him go home.

I agree with you ClassA guy...he's not moving from AA to A to dominate anything. There are 3 D1 commits on SCC already with two more in the wings...Mack is a very good player, but he's not even attempting to move to dominate his own A team. He will be "one of the guys". The rules are rules and they will figure it out....but I think they will consider that Mack grew up and played with all these kids up until his junior year. He was put in a tough situation when his dad got a job and moved to be with the family. He wants to be back with his long time "family" or buds and finish his high school career with them. I would think there are many things to consider..but him moving from AA to A to dominate is NOT one of them. I think the huge difference in Mack's case compared with many (not all) is the intentions here are very innocent on Mack's part. Now again...we're all speculating..we don't know all the facts etc. I wish the best for Mack regardless of whether he plays SCC, Tonka, or JR's. He's a great young man.
Another great Post on the Motzko situation.

My points are again back to HOCKEY why do we have rules?? The case above the intentions seem very real and innocent and yet odds are he would get denied. Yet Look at EP, Benilde, HF, Blake.... to name a few where HOCKEY is the reason for the TRANSFER IS HAPPENING they fake an address and get to play and the High School League does nothing?

Transfers are happening at a higher rate than ever because people know you can bend the rules and fake addresses and the High School League will do nothing. I am just asking why have the rules if you are not gonna stop the main people you created the rules to stop in the first place??

Again I could rant all day I just think get rid of the rules it's not working and creating a terrible double standard.
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:33 pm

knights58 wrote:
ClassAGuy wrote:
USA218 wrote:

One question I have on this scenario, Is he really playing with his life long buddies and teammates? Maybe a few, but SCC is a private school that has players from many different towns that he would not have played with. Sure returning to play with his teammates from HS is likely a more accurate statement and still makes a lot of sense, but I do think this lifelong thing is being over played here to some extent. Hope it works out for him and likely playing with his teammates his senior year is huge motivating factor

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:33 pm
knights58 wrote:
ClassAGuy wrote:

One question I have on this scenario, Is he really playing with his life long buddies and teammates? Maybe a few, but SCC is a private school that has players from many different towns that he would not have played with. Sure returning to play with his teammates from HS is likely a more accurate statement and still makes a lot of sense, but I do think this lifelong thing is being over played here to some extent. Hope it works out for him and likely playing with his teammates his senior year is huge motivating factor
I was thinking the same thing every time I read "lifelong buddies" or kid's he's played with his "whole life." I do not know the Motzko family or the kid so I will defer to anyone on here who does. How this situation turns out has no affect on me, but I think it is a good discussion on MSHSL transfer rules, so I've chosen to participate. Player movement is what will ultimately destroy High School Hockey in Minnesota. It's already happening, the Stigma is almost gone. I always said once that happens it's over. We have many people on here talking about how a kid just wants to play with his buddies, it's all innocent, should be allowed, etc. etc. etc. That may very well be true, but like I said, I don't know the family, so all I can do is look at the facts:

1. I keep reading he was forced to move. He was not FORCED to move. If playing with his buddies was the most important thing, he had the option to stay at Cathedral and CHOSE not to. Instead, he moved with his family to the Twin Cities.

2. They could have chosen any school in the entire Twin Cities Metro. They chose the defending Class AA champs, who as I pointed out before were HIGHLY favored to win it all again. Keep in mind, this was before Brink left. Even without Brink they were still favored to win it all.

3. Obviously, that didn't work out for Minnetonka. They didn't even make it to State and have very little chance of getting there this year.

4. His former school is HIGHLY favored to win it all again, and now he wants to go back because he wants to play with those same buddies he chose not to play with last year.

If that's the case then I sympathize with the kid, but nobody is guaranteed a do-over in life. If he gets one, great. But is this enough for the MSHSL to make an exception to the rules? Unfortunately for him, no, it's not.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm
MWS coach wrote:
knights58 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing every time I read "lifelong buddies" or kid's he's played with his "whole life." I do not know the Motzko family or the kid so I will defer to anyone on here who does. How this situation turns out has no affect on me, but I think it is a good discussion on MSHSL transfer rules, so I've chosen to participate. Player movement is what will ultimately destroy High School Hockey in Minnesota. It's already happening, the Stigma is almost gone. I always said once that happens it's over. We have many people on here talking about how a kid just wants to play with his buddies, it's all innocent, should be allowed, etc. etc. etc. That may very well be true, but like I said, I don't know the family, so all I can do is look at the facts:

1. I keep reading he was forced to move. He was not FORCED to move. If playing with his buddies was the most important thing, he had the option to stay at Cathedral and CHOSE not to. Instead, he moved with his family to the Twin Cities.

2. They could have chosen any school in the entire Twin Cities Metro. They chose the defending Class AA champs, who as I pointed out before were HIGHLY favored to win it all again. Keep in mind, this was before Brink left. Even without Brink they were still favored to win it all.

3. Obviously, that didn't work out for Minnetonka. They didn't even make it to State and have very little chance of getting there this year.

4. His former school is HIGHLY favored to win it all again, and now he wants to go back because he wants to play with those same buddies he chose not to play with last year.

If that's the case then I sympathize with the kid, but nobody is guaranteed a do-over in life. If he gets one, great. But is this enough for the MSHSL to make an exception to the rules? Unfortunately for him, no, it's not.
Very well put Jeffy. I’ve been trying to put into words exactly what you’ve said but have deleted it a few times because I couldn’t say it right. I also think most of this discussion is a moot point... the family can simply move out of the Minnetonka district and he’s good to go.

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
knights58 wrote:

a couple quick things....I don't think people are saying he was FORCED to move....he was forced to make a decision to either move with his family or live up in St. Cloud while his family lived in the cities.
Also, he grew up in St. Cloud...so yes, other than a stint at Minnesota Made Choice League, he did play with these guys in youth and bantam hockey. I believe the people that make the decisions will look at all the factors (personal things no one on here may know) and make a decision. It's their rules, their decision, they decide who has special circumstances and who doesn't. So we'll see. Not every situation fits into the same box, hence the reason for their policy of looking at each situation separately.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 am

knights58 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

a couple quick things....I don't think people are saying he was FORCED to move....he was forced to make a decision to either move with his family or live up in St. Cloud while his family lived in the cities.
Also, he grew up in St. Cloud...so yes, other than a stint at Minnesota Made Choice League, he did play with these guys in youth and bantam hockey. I believe the people that make the decisions will look at all the factors (personal things no one on here may know) and make a decision. It's their rules, their decision, they decide who has special circumstances and who doesn't. So we'll see. Not every situation fits into the same box, hence the reason for their policy of looking at each situation separately.
Yes, I agree with you. If the MSHSL determines that he has special/personal circumstances that would be better served by living separate from his family then I can live with that.

I will add that for selfish reasons I would love to see him back at Cathedral. I would like to see them win it again this year and next year to give them the opportunity to use it to advance their program and give us another “Northern” AA program. That would be fantastic for High School Hockey in Minnesota. Sartell and Alex will be there soon enough. If you add Cathedral, you could have an entirely “Northern” (by Elliott’s standards) 8AA. How cool would that be? I’m in the neighborhood so I’ve watched Hermantown completely waste every opportunity that they’ve had to advance their program. They went to 10 straight State Tourneys, recruited and pulled in kids from everywhere and we still didn’t get another Northern 7AA team. And they never will. I am a Cathedral fan for two years. They deserve the opportunity. We’ll see what they do with it....,.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 am

Got caught up in a terrible situation? What does that even mean?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am

Could we get a report from our East Metro friends on key private school transfers, since school is about to start?

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 am

knights58 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

Knowing he grew up in St. Cloud, I am sure there are many that he did play with growing up. My point is SCC is a private school that also has players which played for other associations, thus sure he did play with some of them, but not really the "team". Is what it is, wish him the best of luck, just seems to be some overstatements going on....

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:36 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am
Could we get a report from our East Metro friends on key private school transfers, since school is about to start?
WM you are dying to get this one out in the open! Why don’t you spill the bombshell?? You know you want to :wink:

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Well , I I’ll say this much. For first time in many years, there appears to be a net out migration of some top East Metro talent from private to public

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Good to know Geraldo
Play Like a Champion Today

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:02 pm

blueblood wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm
Good to know Geraldo
LMFingAO 👀.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:46 am

This is a Wild A$$ guess so don’t read anything more to it than that........CS back to his old pastures to run with his old ponies????

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:40 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm
Well , I I’ll say this much. For first time in many years, there appears to be a net out migration of some top East Metro talent from private to public
Just tell us already West Metry! This Coy thing does not look good on you at all. Sats81 called me tonight and asked if I could please ask you to share. I’m just relaying the message....
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:17 am

Well , since it’s State Fair time and we already have 18 pages on this thread .....

By now probably the worst kept secret , but hearing from reliable sources that Nick Davison will be at Sibley this year and Croix Kochendorfer will be moving again-to Eastridge.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:17 am
Well , since it’s State Fair time and we already have 18 pages on this thread .....

By now probably the worst kept secret , but hearing from reliable sources that Nick Davison will be at Sibley this year and Croix Kochendorfer will be moving again-to Eastridge.
Hmmm...must be more to these stories.

High Heat

Post by High Heat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 am

WestMetro wrote:

These moves are not hockey related let’s just say that.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:28 pm

WestMetro wrote:

Man, CDH is really going to be a one man show this season. Too bad, because Gleason is such an exciting player to watch, and he won’t have much support at all this winter.