USHL Draft on May 6th

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

oldtimer64
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 am

USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by oldtimer64 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:29 pm

With the USHL draft coming up. Who’s getting drafted?

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm

https://www.ushl.com/draft

Track Live:
03 on Monday
Late bloomers on Tues ;)

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:22 am

Posting here since it doesn’t really even deserve its own thread, but it’s always a nice preview to some of the top players for NEXT YEAR’s ushl draft.

WHL draft last Thursday (6 MN 04s selected):

Cruz Lucius-Gentry, 8th rd-161 Seattle
Jack Seaverson-Chaska, 9th rd-197 Vancouver
Charlie Stramel-Rosemount, 10th rd-208 Victoria
Jimmy Snuggerud-Chaska, 10th rd-212 Portland
Jimmy Clark-Edina, 11th rd-241 Vancouver
Maddox Fleming-Rochester (SSM?), 12th rd-256 Portland

Bonin2121
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by Bonin2121 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:32 pm

I'd expect Mittelstadt top 9.

Picks 10-15 of the first round are spoken for by tenders.

goaliedad31
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:17 am

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by goaliedad31 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm

He went #2. Would have been nice to see him go third and be with the Gamblers.

WestMetro
Posts: 2436
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by WestMetro » Mon May 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Schimek # 4 and Peart # 7

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Tue May 07, 2019 11:16 am

Ethan Haider -G- Sioux City - 1st round #3 overall

Zach Stejskal -G- Youngstown- 1st round #10 overall

Luke Mobley - F - Muskegon - 1st round #14 overall

Gavin Enright - G - Green Bay - 2nd round #18

Nick Strom - D - Fargo - 2nd round #19

Luke Levandowski - F - Chicago - 2nd round #20

Austin Jouppi - F - Des Moines - 2nd round #22

Liam Malmquist - F - Madison - 2nd round #27

Carsten Richels - F - Waterloo - 2nd round #28

End of round 2 and back to work.

Stang5280
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by Stang5280 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am

Probably a stupid question, but am I missing something in not seeing what others are in Beacom? He is TINY for a D-man, and while I know that his numbers from Kennedy have to be taken with a large grain of salt, I have never really seen him take over a game, even against weaker competition. Perhaps Beacom is much more impressive in the summer circuit with more talent around him, but man it seems like teams are taking a flier on his potential.

bardown27
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by bardown27 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am
Probably a stupid question, but am I missing something in not seeing what others are in Beacom? He is TINY for a D-man, and while I know that his numbers from Kennedy have to be taken with a large grain of salt, I have never really seen him take over a game, even against weaker competition. Perhaps Beacom is much more impressive in the summer circuit with more talent around him, but man it seems like teams are taking a flier on his potential.
He's also just barely 16, has time to grow, He is a very good defensive defenseman, especially with his small size. Is able to contain opponents very well.

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by O-townClown » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Beacom is a great skater.
Be kind. Rewind.

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am

Notable misses? I haven’t looked at the affiliate sheet yet, but there’s always some big misses.

Stang5280
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by Stang5280 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am

bardown27 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 am
Stang5280 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am
Probably a stupid question, but am I missing something in not seeing what others are in Beacom? He is TINY for a D-man, and while I know that his numbers from Kennedy have to be taken with a large grain of salt, I have never really seen him take over a game, even against weaker competition. Perhaps Beacom is much more impressive in the summer circuit with more talent around him, but man it seems like teams are taking a flier on his potential.
He's also just barely 16, has time to grow, He is a very good defensive defenseman, especially with his small size. Is able to contain opponents very well.
Fair enough, I’ll defer to your judgment (and O-Town’s). I have only watched Beacom play a few times, and even then only on video streams, so I’m sure I am missing some of the subtleties of his game. His skating does stand out as a major strength. I am just a little leery of projecting physical growth for players... sometimes it happens, sometimes not. But there is less stigma now against smaller players, and they are contributing well in college.

HockeyFan1969
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by HockeyFan1969 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:01 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am
bardown27 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 am
Stang5280 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am
Probably a stupid question, but am I missing something in not seeing what others are in Beacom? He is TINY for a D-man, and while I know that his numbers from Kennedy have to be taken with a large grain of salt, I have never really seen him take over a game, even against weaker competition. Perhaps Beacom is much more impressive in the summer circuit with more talent around him, but man it seems like teams are taking a flier on his potential.
He's also just barely 16, has time to grow, He is a very good defensive defenseman, especially with his small size. Is able to contain opponents very well.
Fair enough, I’ll defer to your judgment (and O-Town’s). I have only watched Beacom play a few times, and even then only on video streams, so I’m sure I am missing some of the subtleties of his game. His skating does stand out as a major strength. I am just a little leery of projecting physical growth for players... sometimes it happens, sometimes not. But there is less stigma now against smaller players, and they are contributing well in college.

I will weigh in here. I have seen Beacom play a ton over the years. He is a tremendous skater with and without the puck on his stick. He pivots, escapes and mohawks with a puck better than almost any other '03 D man IMHO. Plays with patience and confidence in his own zone even when being forechecked hard. Sees the ice well and makes excellent decisions in deciding where/when to move the puck. Very few turnovers in his zone and at the bluelines. Can rush when needed and is slippery through the neutral zone. As you mention, he is not real tall, but he is a very strong kid. He may not get over 6', but he is "thick" and has a lot of toughness (is also an excellent LAX player). A very good all around player. I like him a lot.

WestMetro
Posts: 2436
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by WestMetro » Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am
Notable misses? I haven’t looked at the affiliate sheet yet, but there’s always some big misses.
Might have missed it , but a bit surprised no one in USHL took a long shot on Glockners rights so far. I guess the current thinking is let goalies slog a year+ In NAHL, and then take a look and make another decision for Phase 2

Insight on future plans?

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am
Notable misses? I haven’t looked at the affiliate sheet yet, but there’s always some big misses.
Might have missed it , but a bit surprised no one in USHL took a long shot on Glockners rights so far. I guess the current thinking is let goalies slog a year+ In NAHL, and then take a look and make another decision for Phase 2

Insight on future plans?
Very few goalies drafted out of MN (phase 1 or 2). Usual suspects went phase 2 from the NAHL (Haider/Stejskal/Enright). Hobie Hedquist and Anton Castro went phase 1.

No HS goalies were drafted. Not Glockner, not boynton. According to the current affiliate lists, neither have rights held.
Benjamin Fritsinger quit hockey according to some in the Andover “know.” Surprised we didn’t see some other MN goalies go in phase 1 - Stark/Kochendorfer/Weineke etc - usually you see a freshman taken late. Only two that went both played tier 1.

No Atticus Kelly (no rights held), no Hjelle etc is gloomy for your senior brimsek finalists of this year and last. I don’t remember the winner or finalists from 3 years ago. Would be interesting to look back 5 years and see? Hunter Sheperd is one of the few to win Brimsek and have a lot of success in the last 5-10 years.

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Just got a Pm that Glocker has the same goalie coach as the 3 older boys and should get at least a camp invite.

InThePipes
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by InThePipes » Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am
Notable misses? I haven’t looked at the affiliate sheet yet, but there’s always some big misses.
Might have missed it , but a bit surprised no one in USHL took a long shot on Glockners rights so far. I guess the current thinking is let goalies slog a year+ In NAHL, and then take a look and make another decision for Phase 2

Insight on future plans?
Very few goalies drafted out of MN (phase 1 or 2). Usual suspects went phase 2 from the NAHL (Haider/Stejskal/Enright). Hobie Hedquist and Anton Castro went phase 1.

No HS goalies were drafted. Not Glockner, not boynton. According to the current affiliate lists, neither have rights held.
Benjamin Fritsinger quit hockey according to some in the Andover “know.” Surprised we didn’t see some other MN goalies go in phase 1 - Stark/Kochendorfer/Weineke etc - usually you see a freshman taken late. Only two that went both played tier 1.

No Atticus Kelly (no rights held), no Hjelle etc is gloomy for your senior brimsek finalists of this year and last. I don’t remember the winner or finalists from 3 years ago. Would be interesting to look back 5 years and see? Hunter Sheperd is one of the few to win Brimsek and have a lot of success in the last 5-10 years.
Here are the winners over the last 5 years (Shepard won 6 years ago):

2019 Charlie Glockner - Minnetonka
2018 Atticus Kelly - St. Thomas Academy
2017 Jake Begley - Hill-Murray
2016 Nick Althaus -St. Cloud Apollo
2015 Dylan Lubbesmeyer - Burnsville

Of the goalies on this list, Begley appears to be the only one who has any USHL time to date.

InThePipes
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by InThePipes » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am
Notable misses? I haven’t looked at the affiliate sheet yet, but there’s always some big misses.
Might have missed it , but a bit surprised no one in USHL took a long shot on Glockners rights so far. I guess the current thinking is let goalies slog a year+ In NAHL, and then take a look and make another decision for Phase 2

Insight on future plans?
Very few goalies drafted out of MN (phase 1 or 2). Usual suspects went phase 2 from the NAHL (Haider/Stejskal/Enright). Hobie Hedquist and Anton Castro went phase 1.

No HS goalies were drafted. Not Glockner, not boynton. According to the current affiliate lists, neither have rights held.
Benjamin Fritsinger quit hockey according to some in the Andover “know.” Surprised we didn’t see some other MN goalies go in phase 1 - Stark/Kochendorfer/Weineke etc - usually you see a freshman taken late. Only two that went both played tier 1.
I believe that I saw somewhere that Boynton was tendered by Brookings of the NAHL, so appears he'll have an opportunity there.

hockey59
Posts: 1326
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by hockey59 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm


Might have missed it , but a bit surprised no one in USHL took a long shot on Glockners rights so far. I guess the current thinking is let goalies slog a year+ In NAHL, and then take a look and make another decision for Phase 2

Insight on future plans?
Very few goalies drafted out of MN (phase 1 or 2). Usual suspects went phase 2 from the NAHL (Haider/Stejskal/Enright). Hobie Hedquist and Anton Castro went phase 1.

No HS goalies were drafted. Not Glockner, not boynton. According to the current affiliate lists, neither have rights held.
Benjamin Fritsinger quit hockey according to some in the Andover “know.” Surprised we didn’t see some other MN goalies go in phase 1 - Stark/Kochendorfer/Weineke etc - usually you see a freshman taken late. Only two that went both played tier 1.
I believe that I saw somewhere that Boynton was tendered by Brookings of the NAHL, so appears he'll have an opportunity there.
NEWS FLASH...as a goalie you don’t need to play in the USHL to “necessarily” be successful...see Hunter Shepard & Kenny Reiter (3 National Titles between them) 😉

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 pm


Very few goalies drafted out of MN (phase 1 or 2). Usual suspects went phase 2 from the NAHL (Haider/Stejskal/Enright). Hobie Hedquist and Anton Castro went phase 1.

No HS goalies were drafted. Not Glockner, not boynton. According to the current affiliate lists, neither have rights held.
Benjamin Fritsinger quit hockey according to some in the Andover “know.” Surprised we didn’t see some other MN goalies go in phase 1 - Stark/Kochendorfer/Weineke etc - usually you see a freshman taken late. Only two that went both played tier 1.
I believe that I saw somewhere that Boynton was tendered by Brookings of the NAHL, so appears he'll have an opportunity there.
NEWS FLASH...as a goalie you don’t need to play in the USHL to “necessarily” be successful...see Hunter Shepard & Kenny Reiter (3 National Titles between them) 😉
No one said you did :) - but the last 5 years are quite disappointing to see many not given the chance.

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Begley was last in the NCDC on the New Jersey Hitmen on the east coast - and after leaving the USHL to the NAHL. One of my favorite high school goalies. I hope that kid plays college hockey (if he wants to).

InThePipes
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by InThePipes » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm


I believe that I saw somewhere that Boynton was tendered by Brookings of the NAHL, so appears he'll have an opportunity there.
NEWS FLASH...as a goalie you don’t need to play in the USHL to “necessarily” be successful...see Hunter Shepard & Kenny Reiter (3 National Titles between them) 😉
No one said you did :) - but the last 5 years are quite disappointing to see many not given the chance.
Agree, especially for goalies the USHL isn't a necessity. Doing a very quick count on the currently published rosters/affiliate lists I think there are 6 MN goalies listed in the USHL and 9 listed for NAHL teams (this information might be dated).

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 pm

I did some weak research - I thought Haider skipped his senior year? The kid is a junior?

Ben Garrity had a nice year as a backup to Nick Grabko in Minot. Played about 1/3 of the season.

MN will add a few goalies to the USHL this year as I think all 3 top 20 picks make their respective team.

InThePipes
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by InThePipes » Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 pm
I did some weak research - I thought Haider skipped his senior year? The kid is a junior?

Ben Garrity had a nice year as a backup to Nick Grabko in Minot. Played about 1/3 of the season.

MN will add a few goalies to the USHL this year as I think all 3 top 20 picks make their respective team.
Yes, this year would have been his junior year, he's an 01 birth year.

612hockeytown
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: USHL Draft on May 6th

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 pm
I did some weak research - I thought Haider skipped his senior year? The kid is a junior?

Ben Garrity had a nice year as a backup to Nick Grabko in Minot. Played about 1/3 of the season.

MN will add a few goalies to the USHL this year as I think all 3 top 20 picks make their respective team.
Yes, this year would have been his junior year, he's an 01 birth year.
Approaching the level of an AARP card has caused some senior moments. Thanks 😂 He knocked out my beloved Blaine two years in a row so I was eager to see him go /s Enjoyed watching him and Jack Robbel play for the Magicians though. Was hoping one would stay.

Post Reply