Way to early summer games...

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
PuckNA
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Way to early summer games...

Post by PuckNA » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Anyone catching any of the way to early summer scrimmages...

kniven
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by kniven » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:24 pm

PuckNA wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm
Anyone catching any of the way to early summer scrimmages...

If I knew about em, I would. Hopefully I’ll get the date and times for the scrimmage in Edina. This is probably the last year CEC will be participating. We usually have summer scrimmages in Cloquet too, but I’m not told anything. I’ve got to dig for it.

WestMetro
Posts: 2531
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Braemar July 19-21.

Thanks to my good friend Cakescout, who is always on top of things , I just saw the pool. Totino and Northfield were added to the already
large group . All 3 rinks will be busy

Usthockey13
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Usthockey13 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Well I can tell you the games at Edina are July 19,20,21
Duluth East is in a bracket with Buffalo, STMA, Prior Lake
Rapis is with Eastview,Wayzata, BSM
CEC is with CDH, Holy Fam, Lakville N
Andover is with Forest Lake, Blake, Lakeville South

HockeyFan1969
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by HockeyFan1969 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am

Brainerd last weekend with an early one:

Bracket play:
1. Holy Angels
2. Bemidji
3. STMA
4. Brainerd
5-8. East Ridge, Alexandria, St. Cloud and Roch Lourdes (think in that order)

All teams were missing some key guys/returners and playing some new young guys. Game of the weekend was STMA v Holy Angels Saturday evening.

WestMetro
Posts: 2531
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 am

UST , preliminary list I saw had 23 teams confirmed for Braemar

PuckNA
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by PuckNA » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 pm

St. Thomas, Rogers, Centennial and Northfield also at Braemar according to Rogers STP calendar

Usthockey13
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:10 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 am
UST , preliminary list I saw had 23 teams confirmed for Braemar
There are I just missed the 2nd page of the schedule i have..
Maple Grove, TG, Orono and a 2nd Lakeville S in group 5
STA, Northfield, Rogers and Centennial are group 6..

Championship round on sunday is
Group 1 and 2 get a bye
4-5 play
3-6 play then those winners go on to play 1 or 2 then the winners of those final 2 games will play for the Championship. Will be interesting to see as last year it was Duluth East vs Andover in the champ .

Stang5280
Posts: 921
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:23 pm

HockeyFan1969 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Brainerd last weekend with an early one:

Bracket play:
1. Holy Angels
2. Bemidji
3. STMA
4. Brainerd
5-8. East Ridge, Alexandria, St. Cloud and Roch Lourdes (think in that order)

All teams were missing some key guys/returners and playing some new young guys. Game of the weekend was STMA v Holy Angels Saturday evening.
Thanks for the intel! I know it’s way too early to be drawing any conclusions from summer scrimmages, but it does seem like Holy Angels is continuing their upward trend from the past few years and should be more competitive against the better AA teams on their schedule.

Lourdes is in rough shape, to the point where I am worried about the future of the program. The talent pool in Rochester is spread awfully thin among the four schools. Also, I was doing some preliminary research for preseason rankings, and Alexandria might be in for a down year by their standards after losing so much to graduation. I do trust the program depth, but there is a lot to replace.

PuckNA
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by PuckNA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 am

Sunday might not be very indicative of many teams, HSE tryouts are the 21st ... guys sit out the weekend for that or just skip Sunday games if they make it that far?

Eagles93
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am

Duluth bracket play tourney this past weekend:

1- Forest Lake
2- Shakopee
3- Eveleth Gilbert
4- Mounds View
5- St Cloud Cathedral
6- Duluth Marshall
7- Denfeld
8- Superior

kniven
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am
Duluth bracket play tourney this past weekend:

1- Forest Lake
2- Shakopee
3- Eveleth Gilbert
4- Mounds View
5- St Cloud Cathedral
6- Duluth Marshall
7- Denfeld
8- Superior
So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams, other than Hermantown, of course. Marshall seems to be “not very attractive” to the recruits it needs to be a top franchise in Duluth. Duluth East seems to have inner rumblings and a major exodus of talent this year.

PuckNA
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by PuckNA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Why do you think the talent exodus this year? Coaching? Kids? Talent up/down? Just curious your thoughts.

Mnnstar
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am

kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am
Duluth bracket play tourney this past weekend:

1- Forest Lake
2- Shakopee
3- Eveleth Gilbert
4- Mounds View
5- St Cloud Cathedral
6- Duluth Marshall
7- Denfeld
8- Superior
So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams, other than Hermantown, of course. Marshall seems to be “not very attractive” to the recruits it needs to be a top franchise in Duluth. Duluth East seems to have inner rumblings and a major exodus of talent this year.
Entering your statement in the kfan pst tournament So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams. East is the king until dethroned.

InThePipes
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am
Duluth bracket play tourney this past weekend:

1- Forest Lake
2- Shakopee
3- Eveleth Gilbert
4- Mounds View
5- St Cloud Cathedral
6- Duluth Marshall
7- Denfeld
8- Superior
So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams, other than Hermantown, of course. Marshall seems to be “not very attractive” to the recruits it needs to be a top franchise in Duluth. Duluth East seems to have inner rumblings and a major exodus of talent this year.
Entering your statement in the kfan pst tournament So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams. East is the king until dethroned.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how that conclusion was reached either

BP
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by BP » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am

Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am
Duluth bracket play tourney this past weekend:

1- Forest Lake
2- Shakopee
3- Eveleth Gilbert
4- Mounds View
5- St Cloud Cathedral
6- Duluth Marshall
7- Denfeld
8- Superior
So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams, other than Hermantown, of course. Marshall seems to be “not very attractive” to the recruits it needs to be a top franchise in Duluth. Duluth East seems to have inner rumblings and a major exodus of talent this year.
Entering your statement in the kfan pst tournament So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams. East is the king until dethroned.
And I wouldn't make determinations from a summer tourney by these results. Many teams missing guys, etc. And if this was in-season - Cathedral would probably put most if not all of the teams in running time.

kniven
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am

PuckNA wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm
Why do you think the talent exodus this year? Coaching? Kids? Talent up/down? Just curious your thoughts.
1. Randolph has been there for a long time.
2. Randolph’s consistent bantam bring ups is/has probably pissed a lot of powerful people off.
3. When kids starting quitting during the year and kids leave the program early......look out.
4. I’ve seen this in Cloquet. Right or wrong.
5. I in the Randolph camp though. He wants to win more than anybody in that program. And Coach Randolph knows what he’s doing.

Mnnstar
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 am

BP wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am
Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm


So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams, other than Hermantown, of course. Marshall seems to be “not very attractive” to the recruits it needs to be a top franchise in Duluth. Duluth East seems to have inner rumblings and a major exodus of talent this year.
Entering your statement in the kfan pst tournament So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams. East is the king until dethroned.
And I wouldn't make determinations from a summer tourney by these results. Many teams missing guys, etc. And if this was in-season - Cathedral would probably put most if not all of the teams in running time.
Another pst looked at rosters from the weekend most of the kids from state champs were there.

InThePipes
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by InThePipes » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm

PuckNA wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 am
Sunday might not be very indicative of many teams, HSE tryouts are the 21st ... guys sit out the weekend for that or just skip Sunday games if they make it that far?
I don't think anyone in the HSE tryout will be at Braemar on Sunday and I've seen some players skip Saturday (or perhaps even the entire weekend) to ensure they are fully rested on Sunday.

Eagles93
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 am
BP wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am
Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am
Entering your statement in the kfan pst tournament So I’m thinking Duluth Denfeld my be in a position this year to take the top spot in the City of Duluth hockey teams. East is the king until dethroned.
And I wouldn't make determinations from a summer tourney by these results. Many teams missing guys, etc. And if this was in-season - Cathedral would probably put most if not all of the teams in running time.
Another pst looked at rosters from the weekend most of the kids from state champs were there.
All of Cathedral's best players were on the roster (Perbix, Smith, Hiltner, Motzko, etc) but I don't understand how they lose to Mounds View 4-1. Mounds View then got crushed by Forest Lake 10-2 in the semis then lost to Eveleth 8-6 for 3rd place. Cathedral destroyed the consolation bracket, 10-3 wins over both Denfeld and Marshall.

bardown27
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by bardown27 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Mnnstar wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 am
BP wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am


And I wouldn't make determinations from a summer tourney by these results. Many teams missing guys, etc. And if this was in-season - Cathedral would probably put most if not all of the teams in running time.
Another pst looked at rosters from the weekend most of the kids from state champs were there.
All of Cathedral's best players were on the roster (Perbix, Smith, Hiltner, Motzko, etc) but I don't understand how they lose to Mounds View 4-1. Mounds View then got crushed by Forest Lake 10-2 in the semis then lost to Eveleth 8-6 for 3rd place. Cathedral destroyed the consolation bracket, 10-3 wins over both Denfeld and Marshall.
They were on the roster, but per someone I spoke to who was there, they missed the Friday game. Can anyone confirm?

Eagles93
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Mnnstar wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 am
Another pst looked at rosters from the weekend most of the kids from state champs were there.
All of Cathedral's best players were on the roster (Perbix, Smith, Hiltner, Motzko, etc) but I don't understand how they lose to Mounds View 4-1. Mounds View then got crushed by Forest Lake 10-2 in the semis then lost to Eveleth 8-6 for 3rd place. Cathedral destroyed the consolation bracket, 10-3 wins over both Denfeld and Marshall.
They were on the roster, but per someone I spoke to who was there, they missed the Friday game. Can anyone confirm?
1st game was actually Saturday morning.
http://www.marslakeview.com/wp-content/ ... t-2019.pdf

bardown27
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by bardown27 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm
bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm

All of Cathedral's best players were on the roster (Perbix, Smith, Hiltner, Motzko, etc) but I don't understand how they lose to Mounds View 4-1. Mounds View then got crushed by Forest Lake 10-2 in the semis then lost to Eveleth 8-6 for 3rd place. Cathedral destroyed the consolation bracket, 10-3 wins over both Denfeld and Marshall.
They were on the roster, but per someone I spoke to who was there, they missed the Friday game. Can anyone confirm?
1st game was actually Saturday morning.
http://www.marslakeview.com/wp-content/ ... t-2019.pdf
I was told they missed the first game, assumed it was Friday as my source who was there had their first game Friday.

Mnnstar
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:40 am

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:39 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm
bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm


They were on the roster, but per someone I spoke to who was there, they missed the Friday game. Can anyone confirm?
1st game was actually Saturday morning.
http://www.marslakeview.com/wp-content/ ... t-2019.pdf
I was told they missed the first game, assumed it was Friday as my source who was there had their first game Friday.
I I was there They played MV on Sat everyone there assumed they would walk to the final game MV dominated then really struggled against FLAKE who btw looked better than I expected. Carpenter might be one of the more underrated players in the state. He is really good.

knights58
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Way to early summer games...

Post by knights58 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Not that it matters...

but No, all of CC's top players were NOT there for the MV game. some were injured and one was home taking the SAT. MV did not dominate, and were severely outshot. That said, CC did play flat to start as many of their players showed up an hour before the game after traveling 3 hours. No excuse needed though...meaningless summer game. These team play at full strength in a real game and CC wins by 6. CC will be better this year and beat a similar MV team last summer 10-1...but rightfully, no one cared because it was meaningless. Breaking down summer hockey...lol....

Post Reply