2019 Elite League Rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bardown27
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by bardown27 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:09 am
I see Shattuck has a 15 year old Fleming from Rochester on their roster. Any insight?
Played varsity as a 8th and 9th grader at Mayo. led team in points (14-24-38) as a freshman and had 18-27-45 last year in 16 games before and injury ended his season. Has good size to him for a 15yo

USA218
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by USA218 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 am

This elite league stuff is becoming a joke. North and GP teams play 4 games in 36 hours Versus cities team that play 2x on those weekends. How could schedulers ever thing this is a good idea? Injuries waiting to happen let alone a fresh team playing a team that has already played 2 games in past 22 hours!

North doesnt play Blue Army at all, some others play them multiple times. As others have said, adding points up regardless of competition.

North and GP travel (hotels, hours on the road, eating out, etc...) damn near every weekend. Cities teams have ONE overnight the entire time. There needs to be some balance but seems to get worse every year.

To bad it's going this way cause it has been a great league that's fun to watch. I will still pay my gate fee to watch teams in Fargo when they are there, for now.

WestMetro
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by WestMetro » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:27 am

I’m still trying to get used to the name changes. Not sure dropping the locational names was a good idea

But I’ve found that if I look at the rosters and schedules closely , I can figure out to see the kids I want , and in a game with good competition . And skip the ones I don’t want to see.

But definitely more complicated than prior years

And many kids are playing before and after, so we are missing lots of key kids . Including several non committed kids . I don’t know how the B and A count compares to past years , would be interesting if someone has that data

InThePipes
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by InThePipes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:29 am

They can never make everyone happy, but there are a few things that just seem to be really odd and relatively easy to fix.

MWS coach
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by MWS coach » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm

USA218 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 am
This elite league stuff is becoming a joke. North and GP teams play 4 games in 36 hours Versus cities team that play 2x on those weekends. How could schedulers ever thing this is a good idea? Injuries waiting to happen let alone a fresh team playing a team that has already played 2 games in past 22 hours!

North doesnt play Blue Army at all, some others play them multiple times. As others have said, adding points up regardless of competition.

North and GP travel (hotels, hours on the road, eating out, etc...) damn near every weekend. Cities teams have ONE overnight the entire time. There needs to be some balance but seems to get worse every year.

To bad it's going this way cause it has been a great league that's fun to watch. I will still pay my gate fee to watch teams in Fargo when they are there, for now.
I do find this post almost comical.... First off, you can't have it both ways. Power and Corner home play the four home games to minimize the amount of travel. Both also have larger rosters which helps with a rotation on those 4 game weekends. 24 and 25 players. While I agree this is still a lot of games it is done to try and reduce the amount of travel. It isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be when you look at all the facts.

Also all of the teams do have at least two road trips, sure some are Eau Claire Wisconsin, but TCO as an example has Fargo and Grand Rapid trips so again, your opinion really doesn't align with facts. Add in a weekday game down in Shattuck, which gets to be a really late night for northern suburban teams, which neither Power or Corner home make. Nor do either make a trip to Wisconsin.

The other part of the schedule that you fail to recognize, while yes Corner home does have four trips to the "cities" two of those have Saturday/Sunday games, while two have Saturday only games. So if you look at it with eyes open, they really only have two nights that require an overnight hotel stay, which interestingly is the same number of nights TCO has....things that make you say hmmmmmmm.

Instead of complaining and calling it a joke, offer up a solution. Nope not 100% ideal, but I do think it appears there at least seems to be an attempt to try and balance travel. Fact of the matter is, no matter if it is EL, AAA hockey, HS hockey, Youth hockey. If you live in northern part of the state, you will have to travel more, just a matter of geography.

I agree 100% on Blue Army team..... I guess money still talks the loudest.

6AAGuy
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by 6AAGuy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:42 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 pm
USA218 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 am
This elite league stuff is becoming a joke. North and GP teams play 4 games in 36 hours Versus cities team that play 2x on those weekends. How could schedulers ever thing this is a good idea? Injuries waiting to happen let alone a fresh team playing a team that has already played 2 games in past 22 hours!

North doesnt play Blue Army at all, some others play them multiple times. As others have said, adding points up regardless of competition.

North and GP travel (hotels, hours on the road, eating out, etc...) damn near every weekend. Cities teams have ONE overnight the entire time. There needs to be some balance but seems to get worse every year.

To bad it's going this way cause it has been a great league that's fun to watch. I will still pay my gate fee to watch teams in Fargo when they are there, for now.
I do find this post almost comical.... First off, you can't have it both ways. Power and Corner home play the four home games to minimize the amount of travel. Both also have larger rosters which helps with a rotation on those 4 game weekends. 24 and 25 players. While I agree this is still a lot of games it is done to try and reduce the amount of travel. It isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be when you look at all the facts.

Also all of the teams do have at least two road trips, sure some are Eau Claire Wisconsin, but TCO as an example has Fargo and Grand Rapid trips so again, your opinion really doesn't align with facts. Add in a weekday game down in Shattuck, which gets to be a really late night for northern suburban teams, which neither Power or Corner home make. Nor do either make a trip to Wisconsin.

The other part of the schedule that you fail to recognize, while yes Corner home does have four trips to the "cities" two of those have Saturday/Sunday games, while two have Saturday only games. So if you look at it with eyes open, they really only have two nights that require an overnight hotel stay, which interestingly is the same number of nights TCO has....things that make you say hmmmmmmm.

Instead of complaining and calling it a joke, offer up a solution. Nope not 100% ideal, but I do think it appears there at least seems to be an attempt to try and balance travel. Fact of the matter is, no matter if it is EL, AAA hockey, HS hockey, Youth hockey. If you live in northern part of the state, you will have to travel more, just a matter of geography.

I agree 100% on Blue Army team..... I guess money still talks the loudest.
This is a great post, MWSCoach. Well put. They are doing their best to address the travel for all participants, and probably have done a better job giving a nod to Northern teams than most any other league.
All said, the games have been fun to watch and is solid, consistently good hockey with all kids going hard and competing well. Not sure about the difference between having 7 teams this year or 6 teams in the past, but it seems like a pretty good and consistent pool of talent. And the games are as fun to watch (based on skill level and teamwork) as most high end high school games (though they don't have the same rivalry-cache).
Kudos to the HS Elite League organizers for a pretty well run program with high end talent.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:48 pm
Pertyboy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm
Funny Kilen didn't make the second tryout. More fishy business. I'm told he will prob. Be a 3rd liner at Hermantown. Very small and doesn't pass.
Complete travesty that Cody Croal of NB isn’t on an EL roster (to my knowledge) Kid made National 15 Camp & is a really nice player. Politics have been a big joke in EL Selections for over a decade & it just keeps getting worse with each passing year. ☝️
Agree on the lack of NB skaters part. Actually surprised there weren’t 3 (4)... Still mostly juniors but this season should be a huge wake up call for many. Possibly challenge for a state title for the next two seasons and then no varsity team the next is what it’s looking like.

Old youth association put the cart ahead of the horse and a sad reality is coming after these glory years.. :?

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Glad to see JT make it for NB.
Under-rated goalie taking advantage of his opportunity.
NB seems to have a way of coming up with good goalies without a rink.
Practice/play home at Chisago Lakes :(

O-townClown
Posts: 3673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by O-townClown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Several shots at Blue Army. How is their participation different from Norway in years past? I think I saw a Norway box score this year versus a Fall 18U team in the Minnesota Hockey league. More appropriate competition for them perhaps.

Teams guest play in the league. I can see being against guest play (Norway, Blue Army, NTDP) but don't think singling out one of the teams makes sense.
Be kind. Rewind.

612hockeytown
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by 612hockeytown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Several shots at Blue Army. How is their participation different from Norway in years past? I think I saw a Norway box score this year versus a Fall 18U team in the Minnesota Hockey league. More appropriate competition for them perhaps.

Teams guest play in the league. I can see being against guest play (Norway, Blue Army, NTDP) but don't think singling out one of the teams makes sense.
NTDP goes against a made up team of elite league “stars.” Stats are exhibition. AFAIK - only Team CCM played bs games against squads like AAA Iowa Wild and padded their stats. No one cared because CCM was already getting the shaft in less games played, etc.

Blue Army? Why not at least play a formidable opponent like the u18 Blades? Or a decent tier 1 squad? It’s a rhetorical question because MAP South is trying to control things. I wouldn’t doubt they buy an ownership stake of the league of the league like bantam elites. 🤷🏼‍♂️

PuckNA
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by PuckNA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am

Funny though, Map South beats BA 10-2, Sanford beats BA 8-3 and 4-2, then Sanford beats Map South 6-0.... Sanford can't beat BA by 6 goals but can beat Map South by 6? Map South beats BA by 8... sounds like it's not cut and dried. I guarantee you they are not a HSEL team (though couple could easily play there), but also not a bad team from what the record shows.. Avi's boys struggle with BA, and looks like even though they lost to Blizzard in OT this weekend they beat both teams that Blizzard got beat up by.... U18 Blades good... not special by any means...

I think they need to stop all the guaranteed spots for HSEL and make kids earn it in tryouts... you have coaches who are also advisers for guys on their squads... ick...

InThePipes
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 am

PuckNA wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am
Funny though, Map South beats BA 10-2, Sanford beats BA 8-3 and 4-2, then Sanford beats Map South 6-0.... Sanford can't beat BA by 6 goals but can beat Map South by 6? Map South beats BA by 8... sounds like it's not cut and dried. I guarantee you they are not a HSEL team (though couple could easily play there), but also not a bad team from what the record shows.. Avi's boys struggle with BA, and looks like even though they lost to Blizzard in OT this weekend they beat both teams that Blizzard got beat up by.... U18 Blades good... not special by any means...

I think they need to stop all the guaranteed spots for HSEL and make kids earn it in tryouts... you have coaches who are also advisers for guys on their squads... ick...
The transitive property doesn't always work well with these fall games, depends on who's present and how engaged they are. Local U18 (and U16) teams have all leveled out a little from past years when it was primarily just the Blades as the premier non-HSEL team. The Blades, Blue Army and Blizzard all have solid squads, not sure that any are spectacular.

GoBigorGoHome
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm
O-townClown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Several shots at Blue Army. How is their participation different from Norway in years past? I think I saw a Norway box score this year versus a Fall 18U team in the Minnesota Hockey league. More appropriate competition for them perhaps.

Teams guest play in the league. I can see being against guest play (Norway, Blue Army, NTDP) but don't think singling out one of the teams makes sense.
NTDP goes against a made up team of elite league “stars.” Stats are exhibition. AFAIK - only Team CCM played bs games against squads like AAA Iowa Wild and padded their stats. No one cared because CCM was already getting the shaft in less games played, etc.

Blue Army? Why not at least play a formidable opponent like the u18 Blades? Or a decent tier 1 squad? It’s a rhetorical question because MAP South is trying to control things. I wouldn’t doubt they buy an ownership stake of the league of the league like bantam elites. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't understand the NTDP comment? Did they play against HSEL? If so, who played for team HSEL, and what was the score? Is the info available anywhere? Thanks!

InThePipes
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:17 am

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am
612hockeytown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm
O-townClown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Several shots at Blue Army. How is their participation different from Norway in years past? I think I saw a Norway box score this year versus a Fall 18U team in the Minnesota Hockey league. More appropriate competition for them perhaps.

Teams guest play in the league. I can see being against guest play (Norway, Blue Army, NTDP) but don't think singling out one of the teams makes sense.
NTDP goes against a made up team of elite league “stars.” Stats are exhibition. AFAIK - only Team CCM played bs games against squads like AAA Iowa Wild and padded their stats. No one cared because CCM was already getting the shaft in less games played, etc.

Blue Army? Why not at least play a formidable opponent like the u18 Blades? Or a decent tier 1 squad? It’s a rhetorical question because MAP South is trying to control things. I wouldn’t doubt they buy an ownership stake of the league of the league like bantam elites. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't understand the NTDP comment? Did they play against HSEL? If so, who played for team HSEL, and what was the score? Is the info available anywhere? Thanks!
It's this coming weekend...the NTDP U17 team is in town, they do this every year.

6AAGuy
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by 6AAGuy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:17 am
GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am
612hockeytown wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm


NTDP goes against a made up team of elite league “stars.” Stats are exhibition. AFAIK - only Team CCM played bs games against squads like AAA Iowa Wild and padded their stats. No one cared because CCM was already getting the shaft in less games played, etc.

Blue Army? Why not at least play a formidable opponent like the u18 Blades? Or a decent tier 1 squad? It’s a rhetorical question because MAP South is trying to control things. I wouldn’t doubt they buy an ownership stake of the league of the league like bantam elites. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't understand the NTDP comment? Did they play against HSEL? If so, who played for team HSEL, and what was the score? Is the info available anywhere? Thanks!
It's this coming weekend...the NTDP U17 team is in town, they do this every year.
The NTDP games this weekend are on Saturday and Sunday and they are not against a HSEL all star team, it's the two teams at the top of the standings: Power and Mpls St. Paul Magazine

GoBigorGoHome
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm

6AAGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am
InThePipes wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:17 am
GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am


I don't understand the NTDP comment? Did they play against HSEL? If so, who played for team HSEL, and what was the score? Is the info available anywhere? Thanks!
It's this coming weekend...the NTDP U17 team is in town, they do this every year.
The NTDP games this weekend are on Saturday and Sunday and they are not against a HSEL all star team, it's the two teams at the top of the standings: Power and Mpls St. Paul Magazine
Thanks fellas. Also, doesn't Owens already own all or a piece of HSElite, Bantam Elite, MapSouth, and Blue Army?

thefatcat
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by thefatcat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm
6AAGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am
InThePipes wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:17 am


It's this coming weekend...the NTDP U17 team is in town, they do this every year.
The NTDP games this weekend are on Saturday and Sunday and they are not against a HSEL all star team, it's the two teams at the top of the standings: Power and Mpls St. Paul Magazine
Thanks fellas. Also, doesn't Owens already own all or a piece of HSElite, Bantam Elite, MapSouth, and Blue Army?
I don't believe that he has anything to do with HSEL....he owns MAP South, Blue Army and BEL.

South he bought from Justin at MAP North (then Justin opened MAP East and MAP West). North (Super Rink) and West (PIC) are nice facilities...East (Hudson)...meh.

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:04 pm

[quote=6AAGuy post_id=737351 time=1569256131 user_id=25289]
[quote=InThePipes post_id=737347 time=1569255432 user_id=21172]
[quote=GoBigorGoHome post_id=737344 time=1569254695 user_id=18559]


I don't understand the NTDP comment? Did they play against HSEL? If so, who played for team HSEL, and what was the score? Is the info available anywhere? Thanks!
[/quote]

It's this coming weekend...the NTDP U17 team is in town, they do this every year.
[/quote]
The NTDP games this weekend are on Saturday and Sunday and they are not against a HSEL all star team, it's the two teams at the top of the standings: Power and Mpls St. Paul Magazine
[/quote]
FatCat
Did NTDP play an all star EL in years past or always the top 2 teams in the standings?
Who and how are opponents selected if not the case?
I think 2 other teams were not originally on roster?
Seems like the updates opponent have more size and higher profile players.
Not arguing the choice just speculating on why the change to the schedule
Thanks

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:10 pm

-on the schedule

O-townClown
Posts: 3673
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by O-townClown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Muck, last year the NTDP faced North Southwest. Injured players were replaced, and naturally the invitations were extended to high end players. So there was a mechanism to get an elite player in the game who normally played on another team.

Looking forward to two great games!
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:50 pm

OTC -you did play by play last year? This year?

612hockeytown
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm
Muck, last year the NTDP faced North Southwest. Injured players were replaced, and naturally the invitations were extended to high end players. So there was a mechanism to get an elite player in the game who normally played on another team.

Looking forward to two great games!
That might be what I was thinking. I know they make sure the top end players are on both HSEL squads. They try to stack the teams to give themselves a fighting chance. Last couple years - some close games, OT and even some wins. I like it - and have zero issue with that.

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm
O-townClown wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm
Muck, last year the NTDP faced North Southwest. Injured players were replaced, and naturally the invitations were extended to high end players. So there was a mechanism to get an elite player in the game who normally played on another team.

Looking forward to two great games!
That might be what I was thinking. I know they make sure the top end players are on both HSEL squads. They try to stack the teams to give themselves a fighting chance. Last couple years - some close games, OT and even some wins. I like it - and have zero issue with that.
Two years ago Jack Hughes, #1 in the NHL draft this summer, played for the U17 USNTDP in their games against HSEL. IMHO at the time his skating skill was the best I had ever seen in a high school aged player.

WestMetro
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Agree on Hughes, but Clayton Keller was equally amazing on the NTDP weekend 5? +/- year’s ago

GoBigorGoHome
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Looking at the stats, and based on the number of shots being given up, the stars in these games appear to be the goalies. 35+ shots allowed is not unusual. Is anyone playing defense, are the shot totals accurate, or is it just a free-for-all attempt to put up points? I'd love to see the plus/minus stats. Goalies are being used as cannon fodder, but appear to be handling it quite well.

Post Reply