2019 Elite League Rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckNA

Re: 2019 Elite League Rosters

Post by PuckNA » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:39 pm

The focus is on points... even on the D side. I have heard on more than one occasion that player X didn't have enough points to warrant HSEL consideration.... but go back and see how many guys are playing with (especially forwards) with less than 20 points during the HS year... just saying....

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:17 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm
Looking at the stats, and based on the number of shots being given up, the stars in these games appear to be the goalies. 35+ shots allowed is not unusual. Is anyone playing defense, are the shot totals accurate, or is it just a free-for-all attempt to put up points? I'd love to see the plus/minus stats. Goalies are being used as cannon fodder, but appear to be handling it quite well.
Fire wagon hockey

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 pm

Been said by multiple high school coaches that often goalies have a bit of an adjustment period after playing in HSEL once season starts. Their game can struggle early in HS season because of it.

6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:03 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 pm
Been said by multiple high school coaches that often goalies have a bit of an adjustment period after playing in HSEL once season starts. Their game can struggle early in HS season because of it.
That strikes me as counter intuitive--help me understand. Are you saying that because EL goalies are seeing so many shots that they then struggle (initially) when the HS season starts because they are seeing less action?

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am

6AAGuy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:03 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
That strikes me as counter intuitive--help me understand. Are you saying that because EL goalies are seeing so many shots that they then struggle (initially) when the HS season starts because they are seeing less action?
PTSD :mrgreen:

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am
6AAGuy wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Top ten post all-time, imho. :D :D :D

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:14 am

6AAGuy wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
It sounds crazy but there is something to that..but I see it more with squirt and pee wee goalies as opposed to high school age kids.

Lots of shots, mentally engaged the entire game vs sporadic shots here and there and they're thinking about Fortnite.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am
6AAGuy wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
:lol:

I think some goalies come out of this league feeling that HSEL was the best exposure and opportunity they've ever experienced while others may not share those warm feelings

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:00 pm

GoBigorGoHome wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 am
Top ten post all-time, imho. :D :D :D
Agreed! Perfect.
Be kind. Rewind.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm

6AAGuy wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
I honestly don’t know either, just what several varsity coaches have told me, two as recently as last season. Would imagine it has something to do with getting shelled in a different way from regular season games. Would also agree with poster who said there are many others who cherish the opportunity.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:49 am

The interesting thing is Minnesota doesn't churn out a lot of early commit goalies. There is very few committed goalies that play in it. It's great for exposure - yes - but does it help? I don't know that it does?

NHL Draftees

http://www.hselitehockey.com/nhl-draft-picks

From most recent: Ethan Haider, Jared Moe, Charlie Lindgren (not listed for some reason), Zane Gothberg (aka Zane McIntyre)

College Commits (from 2016 on...)

There's no list - but off memory (please add kids I may have missed).

Haider, Moe, Stejskal, Enright, Eisele, Evenson, Ullan (just going back to 2016).

When you figure 16 goalies per year - it's a bit of an eye opener.

---

IMO - if you're a goalie, you do it to face quality players and gear yourself up for the next level. There is downsides though. While it's been a more defensive league the last few years. Don't laugh - look at goalie stats now vs 2-3 years ago - Enright, Moe, Karki, Holum, Kelly, Haider, Fritsinger, - all had GAA above 4! Save% in the mid to upper 800s. Some teams simply suck and the goalie gets blasted. How about the 17 goal shelling done Sunday afternoon? How is that for a confidence builder for Manzella and whoever else played in net?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am

I just wonder if HSEL is going to have to go to an all star roster to play vs the USA 17s in the future.

Goaltenders did not have a good day, but it was a Team loss by Northeast not just goalies. There wasnt much D going on in this game. Several stretch passes for breakaway goals. Also, many times USA kids seemed to walk right into slot and take an unobstructed snipe at the net, or else in perfect position for a wide open one timer , with no one clearing people out. There wasnt much forechecking going on to slow down the action. Werent a lot of sticks on the ice to obstruct passing lanes.

I didnt see the Saturday game, obviously goalie had a better day but the overall containment effort must have been much better also.

BP

Post by BP » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:44 am

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am
I just wonder if HSEL is going to have to go to an all star roster to play vs the USA 17s in the future.

Goaltenders did not have a good day, but it was a Team loss by Northeast not just goalies. There wasnt much D going on in this game. Several stretch passes for breakaway goals. Also, many times USA kids seemed to walk right into slot and take an unobstructed snipe at the net, or else in perfect position for a wide open one timer , with no one clearing people out. There wasnt much forechecking going on to slow down the action. Werent a lot of sticks on the ice to obstruct passing lanes.

I didnt see the Saturday game, obviously goalie had a better day but the overall containment effort must have been much better also.
Yes- they should make 1 all-star team to play these guys for a 2 game series. 17 goals is not a good look for the EL. With so many guys doing before/after - the league just isn't deep enough across the board. That said - that 17 team is really, really good. Their puck movement is incredible.

You could argue that it is good exposure for some guys on these teams to play 2 teams and not make an all-star team - but the way teams are coached and most are only worried about winning any ways and not rolling the lines for 5x5/PK/PP - so might as well stay consistent.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am

BP wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:44 am
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am

Yes- they should make 1 all-star team to play these guys for a 2 game series. 17 goals is not a good look for the EL. With so many guys doing before/after - the league just isn't deep enough across the board. That said - that 17 team is really, really good. Their puck movement is incredible.

You could argue that it is good exposure for some guys on these teams to play 2 teams and not make an all-star team - but the way teams are coached and most are only worried about winning any ways and not rolling the lines for 5x5/PK/PP - so might as well stay consistent.
Gotta go with All Star teams, that seems like an absolute no-brainer

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am

My $0.02... the MSP team D was soft, you have to be able to slow a team down or be a speed bump... D did neither with any regularity... think it's another example of grabbing the kids that jump up and sacrifice D for scoring. No physicality on the back end. I get everyone wants to showcase skill, but stopping guys and playing good D is a skill. Another thing that stood out to me was poor passing from MN team... so many missed passes stretch, transition and even 8 foot passes. Credit though to US team for moving and did more of the little things better.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 am

I think picking ONE all star team would prove to be HIGHLY political and the results may actually be the same....

If you opened it up to every kid, how would you pick a "fair" team? Would you have the kids vote for the team(s)? The coaches? The scouts? How do you propose taking the politics out of this process..Or do we even care?

How about if you limited the one team (or 2 teams) to seniors only... Think about it... taking these 30-36 seniors would be a nice way to reward these kids for "sticking around"

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:45 am

PuckNA wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am
My $0.02... the MSP team D was soft, you have to be able to slow a team down or be a speed bump... D did neither with any regularity... think it's another example of grabbing the kids that jump up and sacrifice D for scoring. No physicality on the back end. I get everyone wants to showcase skill, but stopping guys and playing good D is a skill. Another thing that stood out to me was poor passing from MN team... so many missed passes stretch, transition and even 8 foot passes. Credit though to US team for moving and did more of the little things better.
=D>

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:52 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 am
I think picking ONE all star team would prove to be HIGHLY political and the results may actually be the same....

If you opened it up to every kid, how would you pick a "fair" team? Would you have the kids vote for the team(s)? The coaches? The scouts? How do you propose taking the politics out of this process..Or do we even care?

How about if you limited the one team (or 2 teams) to seniors only... Think about it... taking these 30-36 seniors would be a nice way to reward these kids for "sticking around"
The entire league is already arguably political and the results would not be the same. Have each team provide 2 players and then have 4 wildcard selections from some "man behind the curtain"

The Sr idea is fine too

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 am

Yeah, might be political

But just think about it. Ridiculous that L. Middlestadt was not playing in the USA 17s weekend. After all, he is one of top 10/top 5/ some say top 3 American born 2003 Ds. Should be rewarded for turning down the invite by at least playing in this competition.

Wolfe and Campbell are arguably top 10 D in the state, but they were outmanned without other top D support especially since Kaiser playing B and A rather than team Northeast, and Wolfe also took a couple/three penalties , perhaps trying to shake up the momentum a little.

I could go for Pipes idea of each team providing 2-3 kids plus some adhocs for the rest. The two goalies should be selected by consensus of all coaches,.
Last edited by WestMetro on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 am

One team of all seniors (15-18 kids)

One team of all juniors (15-18 kids)

Younger kids can "wait"

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Games have historically been close.

In 2015 the two Elite League teams lost 1-5 & 2-5.

In 2016 Northwest won 4-0 over the 2000s and a league All-Star team won 4-3 to complete the sweep.

In 2017 Southwest lost 1-5 and the Sunday game was a regulation tie against a league All-Star team.

In 2018 North lost 3-4 and Southwest lost 4-5. Worth mentioning that North was able to fill in with 4 players due to injuries. Those 4 were jr F Pinoniemi, Gleason & Mittelstadt and sr D Koster.
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:03 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 am
Yeah, might be political

But just think about it. Ridiculous that L. Middlestadt was not playing in the USA 17s weekend. After all, he is one of top 10/top 5/ some say top 3 American born 2003 Ds. Should be rewarded for turning down the invite by at least playing in this competition.

Wolfe and Campbell are arguably top 10 D in the state, but they were outmanned without other top D support especially since Kaiser playing B and A rather than team Northeast, and Wolfe also took a couple/three penalties , perhaps trying to shake up the momentum a little.

I could go for Pipes idea of each team providing 2-3 kids plus some adhocs for the rest. The two goalies should be selected by consensus of all coaches,.
EVERYTHING in life is political, some things more than others. I'm not saying HSEL is any better or worse than anything else in life inside our outside of hockey.

There are already are many arguable selections for the league overall and would be many tough calls to form an all star roster, with the exception of the top 5 players are so (a small number would probably be consensus selections from the coaches/league admin). I'm guessing most everything else would probably be arguable, which is fine. That's no different than who people believe should fill out the Wild's roster, who should play QB for the Vikings, who should pitch game #3 for the Twins, lots of different opinions I'm sure.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I’d suggest we have two different teams from Section 8 and they each play them. Pretty sure a second team from Great Plains could have kept it to 10. :mrgreen:

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 pm

I was thinking that GP was probably the best EL team, but then SSM make them look no better than any other EL team on Sunday.
Also heard they are practicing which could give them a ‘team play’ edge.
Let’s see if they can keep it going....

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Pretty sure if I was going to bet everything I own that one Elite League team is NOT practicing......I’d bet on the Great Plains team. Its a pretty good drive from Roseau to St Cloud on a school night.