Let’s see some top 10 lists for AA, 2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: Let’s see some top 10 lists for AA, 2019

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 pm

chester1991 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:15 pm
1) Eden Prairie

2) Andover

3) Benidle

4) Maple Grove

5) Hill Murray

6) Blaine

7) Rosemount

8) Blake

9) Minnetonka

10) Wayzata
Andover isn’t #2 but outside the top 5. I’d slide the Irish in the top 5 somewhere.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 pm

kniven wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 pm
chester1991 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:15 pm
1) Eden Prairie

2) Andover

3) Benidle

4) Maple Grove

5) Hill Murray

6) Blaine

7) Rosemount

8) Blake

9) Minnetonka

10) Wayzata
Andover isn’t #2 but outside the top 5. I’d slide the Irish in the top 5 somewhere.
Andover is without question a top 5 team in my opinion

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Ill modify my August 12 list below.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Ill take a stab at it. Excuse errors or omissions. Rank, key players, and tentative goalie are shown

1, EP Middlestadts(2), Holt, Blake, Batchelder,Langefels Steeves, Langenbrunner, Busby, G: Rosenlund
2. BSM Mesenberg,Schweitzer,Sarsland,Marshall,Bisson,Callahan,EllingsonG: Limesand
3 RSMT Wheeler,Levandowski, Stramel,Kenefick,Ratzlaff,Campbell G: Tollefson
4 BLAKE Miller, Dexheimer, Broz, Best, Svenddal, Mahoney, G: Reid
5 ANDOVER, Kaiser, Kron ,Thoreson,Chartier Vandermey G: Swenson,

6 TONKA: Lagerbeck,Streeter,Lacomy, ,Zitzloff,Miller ,Newhouse, Henry G: Shantz
7, MG Kukkoken, Henry, Jacobs ,Reller G: Wieneke
8 BLAINE Richels,Hansen,Streeter,Reiman,G:Simonson
9 WBL Newpower, Roed,Rose,Frattalone, G: Steffens
10 LVS Novak Ludtke, Oelrich,Ahrenholz , G: Ticen

NEW SEPT 24

1.EP
2. BSM
3 ANDV
4 RSMT
5 Tonka

6 Blaine
7 MG
8 HM assuming Oberle stays
9-12 Alpha order: Blake/Edina/LVS/WBL

BP

Post by BP » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 pm

1) EP
2) BSM
3) Andover
4) Rosemount
5) Minnetonka
6) Blaine
7) Maple Grove
8) WBL
9) Hill-Murray
10) Edina

Others from 11 to mid 20's in no particular order - LV South, Chaska, STA, Stillwater, Centennial, Blake, Wayzata, CDH, Holy Angels, Grand Rapids, Duluth East, Cloquet, Moorhead, Roseau, Brainerd and STMA.
Last edited by BP on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Are Grand Rapids, CEC or Duluth East anywhere near the top 20, in everybody’s opinion? Andover will have to get through to of em to get to state on semifinal Saturday. It sure would be nice if Andover played one of those squads. At least they play Elk River twice. Elk River could surely make the semifinals too. I know zero about the Elks coming into the season. It will be interesting to see what their first handful of games this winter. Elk traditionally keep their players and have minimal transfers coming in....is that right?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 am

So BP, does that mean you have Brainerd finishing both first and third in Section 8 AA then? :mrgreen: You might want to do some homework on that one and possibly Section 8AA in general. It's possible that you've missed all of the top 3 teams in the section on your list.

Interesting to see the success that the Great Plains team is having in the Elite League. Tells me that things are likely wide open this year in AA and that you may not want to sleep on Section 8.

Knivesy, I think each of the three teams you mention will be top 20 teams most likely with Rapids and Cloquet having potential to creep into the top 10. I'd have Cloquet as a likely top 10 team but hard to say how much impact the loss to EP will have. My guess is they still have a shot.

The rest of you can go back to your metro bias. Carry on!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 am

Section 8. No bias here . A year ago this time , I think I had 2 northern teams in my top 10, the year before that 3 I think . This is first year in long time none north of Andover

BP

Post by BP » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:21 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 am
So BP, does that mean you have Brainerd finishing both first and third in Section 8 AA then? :mrgreen: You might want to do some homework on that one and possibly Section 8AA in general. It's possible that you've missed all of the top 3 teams in the section on your list.

Interesting to see the success that the Great Plains team is having in the Elite League. Tells me that things are likely wide open this year in AA and that you may not want to sleep on Section 8.

Knivesy, I think each of the three teams you mention will be top 20 teams most likely with Rapids and Cloquet having potential to creep into the top 10. I'd have Cloquet as a likely top 10 team but hard to say how much impact the loss to EP will have. My guess is they still have a shot.

The rest of you can go back to your metro bias. Carry on!
My mistake - I cleaned it up!

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 am

Section 8 guy wrote:

I have no idea on Section 8 teams, but I think looking at the Elite League Power team's success may be a little misleading. The top 4 scorers are from SCC. no offense to the other players and certainly takes a team to have success, but looking at how the roster shakes out, not sure it is a good correlation. Just my two cents.....

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 am

MWS coach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 am
Section 8 guy wrote:

I have no idea on Section 8 teams, but I think looking at the Elite League Power team's success may be a little misleading. The top 4 scorers are from SCC. no offense to the other players and certainly takes a team to have success, but looking at how the roster shakes out, not sure it is a good correlation. Just my two cents.....
=D>

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 am

EP and SCC, lets get through the winter and get to golf season. GB

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am

Wait...is Smith still coaching EP? In that case, I will go with

1) Andover

2) Benidle

3) Tonka

4) Rosem

5) Blaine

6) Blake

7) HMurray

8) Grove

9) Edina

10) Wayzata

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 pm

GoldenBear wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am
Wait...is Smith still coaching EP? In that case, I will go with

1) Andover

2) Benidle

3) Tonka

4) Rosem

5) Blaine

6) Blake

7) HMurray

8) Grove

9) Edina

10) Wayzata

Blasphemy 😂😂! Ranheim actually coaches that team anyway and decides who gets no tryout bids to HSEL.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:09 pm

GoldenBear wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am
Wait...is Smith still coaching EP?
Totally uncalled for. Was in EP Rink 1 over the weekend and saw a ton of banners. They'll add one for last year's Runner-Up, which as you know they could have easily won. A guy doesn't have multiple AA state titles unless he knows something. Good players, sure. Accomplished coach too.
Be kind. Rewind.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

We can agree to disagree on this one. I've watched him very up close for decades on and off the ice. Yes, I may be tough on him, and he is human, but three events which I won't get into will never make me a fan of him...I will inkle that the bullying case on the ice which he put his tail between his legs is one of them. It is so tough being a coach in any sport now a days so I have to give him some credit, no more comments on my buddy Lee. GB

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:51 am

MWS coach wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:

You're looking at the wrong side of the equation. What does it tell you if the top line of a class A team is comfortably handling metro All star teams which are made up of mostly big program AA players? That tells me it's likely wide open in AA. That's the main point.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:47 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:51 am
MWS coach wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:

You're looking at the wrong side of the equation. What does it tell you if the top line of a class A team is comfortably handling metro All star teams which are made up of mostly big program AA players? That tells me it's likely wide open in AA. That's the main point.
I guess we view it in a different light.... That tells me those players are really good, A or AA does not make a difference at all. Having watched several of their games the SCC line is far an away the top line on that team. I still don't see how you twist your comment to make that point. The team is having success and top scorers are not Section 8, In addition your last comment is you may not want to sleep on Section 8 which insinuates that section 8 is a top section based upon the success the team is having. Just stating a fact, the chemistry the line of Perbix, Smith and Warner have together is very good and does add to the success they are having in a league that is made up mostly of players whom have not played with each other, or at least not to the level that line has. I am by no means minimizing the success they are having as they are all great players which accounts for the success first and foremost, but to say 8AA is not a section to sleep on or AA in general is wide open because a line of players that will play A is having success is beyond preposterous and an insult to the skill level of those players.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm

I think I mentioned it on a different thread somewhere, but some think SCC would be a top 10 team on a combined AA/A basis this year. Smith and Warner are two of the top players in the state. Last I saw, Smith was projected to go in second round of next June draft. Will be interesting how Crusaders do against Andover and Wayzata this year.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Westy-
You probably can answer your own question if you consider the D as part of the matchup equation of those 3 teams

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 pm

What I meant is the games will be interesting but Andover will likely win in each case
May it be the popular pick but it’s probably the right one

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Muck, good points. But theyve got decent bodies on the blue line and in goal to support the super high powered offense. And the forwards are decent forecheckers. Maybe a moot point if Nate Warner remains out with shoulder injury for extended period.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 am

MWS.....I'm standing by my primary point that things are wide open this year. That take is based on a lot more than a few games in the Elite League, which I actually don't think provides much predictive value at all. Sorry if my comments made it sound like that's what I'm basing it on because that's far from the truth. Also, most of what I said was tongue in cheek ribbing that you're taking way too literally. I also think you're giving a bit too much credit to 3 or 4 guys on a 24 guy team but each to their own I guess.

Eden Prairie is a notch above out of the gates.........and a big chunk of that edge is there because of kids that moved in this year. Andover has a chance to be a bit above the pack as well. Beyond that it will likely be an even race with 6 to 8 teams in the next tier that could all win 3 games in St. Paul.

It has the potential to be a really interesting year.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 am
MWS.....I'm standing by my primary point that things are wide open this year. That take is based on a lot more than a few games in the Elite League, which I actually don't think provides much predictive value at all. Sorry if my comments made it sound like that's what I'm basing it on because that's far from the truth. Also, most of what I said was tongue in cheek ribbing that you're taking way too literally. I also think you're giving a bit too much credit to 3 or 4 guys on a 24 guy team but each to their own I guess.

Eden Prairie is a notch above out of the gates.........and a big chunk of that edge is there because of kids that moved in this year. Andover has a chance to be a bit above the pack as well. Beyond that it will likely be an even race with 6 to 8 teams in the next tier that could all win 3 games in St. Paul.

I think this is a pretty accurate take =D>

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 am

InThePipes wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am
Section 8 guy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 am

I think this is a pretty accurate take =D>
I agree, this is very accurate. Not to over discuss previous point, but my comments were based upon you initial takes that specifically referenced Power results in Elite League and how A players success showed how wide open AA is . I never said it isn't wide open and I also think it is. While EP is certainly the front runner, locker room chemistry with addition of new players is a wild card. Not implying there are any issues, but is a factor TBD with any team, especially when new faces join a group that has been together for a long time. To further, they are HS players and many teams are capable of getting behind a hot goalie and making a run. Ah the anticipation.....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 am

Agree

My confidence in EP at No. 1 has increased based on what weve seen from Steeves and Blake.

But the next tier of half dozen or so is not that far behind, and is definitely more even that i would have initially expected.