Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:15 pm

What kind of a year for each section or just your favorite sections. Exciting, lame, or competitive. 7AA and 7A or 1 horse races really. Grand Rapids and Greenway could make tings interesting.

NorthernStorm15
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by NorthernStorm15 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Section 7A
1 Hermantown
Key players
Forwards
Mama’s Boy Biondi Kilen Pionk Lund Dowd
Defense
Pierce? Sams? Dowd
Weakness Goalie
2.Denfeld
Key players
Forwards
Shea Lehet McClure Twins
Defense
Jouppi
Goalies
Easty Schneider
Weakness Youth
3.Eveleth
Key Players
Forwards
Van Orsdel
Defense
Troutwine*2 Beaudette Everson
Weakness Goalie and eligibility
4.Greenway
Key players
Forwards
Troumbly Vekich Gernader
Defense
Miller Trboyevich
Goalie
Wright
Weakness Depth
5.Virginia
Zadnikar Oakland
6.Hibbing
Ziemba Allison
7. I Falls
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

6AAGuy
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by 6AAGuy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am

6AA going to be bloodbath with Edina, Blake, BSM, CDH and Wayzata. Section Semis Saturday is going to be crazy. A shame that only one can make State.

Thoen88
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by Thoen88 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Same on the girls side. Probably have 4 teams rated in the top-15 in the state when the section rolls around.

StanleyCup55
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by StanleyCup55 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

6AAGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am
6AA going to be bloodbath with Edina, Blake, BSM, CDH and Wayzata. Section Semis Saturday is going to be crazy. A shame that only one can make State.
You won't have to worry for too long. The next section realignment will have the top 32 teams like football.

kniven
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:28 am

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am
6AAGuy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am
6AA going to be bloodbath with Edina, Blake, BSM, CDH and Wayzata. Section Semis Saturday is going to be crazy. A shame that only one can make State.
You won't have to worry for too long. The next section realignment will have the top 32 teams like football.
Please explain, lord Stanley. I’m a dumb dumb.

StanleyCup55
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by StanleyCup55 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't proclaim to be the smartest person in the world but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see the way it's going after the section realignments this year i.e. Anoka to Section 7AA, Tartan to Single A, etc... Just seems to me that the league wants to go to 3 classes or do the Top 32 teams like football which I think will kill the state tournament excitment. But that's just my problem I guess since I seem to be the only one freaking out about the way HS seems to be going. It's also off topic from this thread so I apologize and will try to contribute.

2AA was the toughest
1AA was the weakest

2AA was pretty much a state tournament after the first round. Will this be the toughest again next year or will 6AA give it a good run?

kniven
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:31 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm
I don't proclaim to be the smartest person in the world but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see the way it's going after the section realignments this year i.e. Anoka to Section 7AA, Tartan to Single A, etc... Just seems to me that the league wants to go to 3 classes or do the Top 32 teams like football which I think will kill the state tournament excitment. But that's just my problem I guess since I seem to be the only one freaking out about the way HS seems to be going. It's also off topic from this thread so I apologize and will try to contribute.

2AA was the toughest
1AA was the weakest

2AA was pretty much a state tournament after the first round. Will this be the toughest again next year or will 6AA give it a good run?

I would like the top 32 teams. 2AA, 6AA. 1 and 2

elliott70
Posts: 13138
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Top 32 teams
Wayzata High School 3276
Minnetonka High School 3198
Eden Prairie High School 2732
Blaine High School 2652
Prior Lake High School 2648
Stillwater Area High School 2636
Edina High School 2628
Champlin Park High School 2474
Shakopee High School 2281
Rosemount High School 2271
Maple Grove High School 2218
White Bear Lake Area High School 2105
Eastview High School 2085
Farmington High School 2082
Burnsville High School 2079
Anoka High School 2037
St. Michael-Albertville H.S. 1989
Roseville Area High School 1951
Centennial High School 1937
Eagan High School 1916
Woodbury High School 1864
Hopkins High School 1856
Forest Lake High School 1828
Coon Rapids High School 1775
East Ridge High School 1757
Osseo High School 1756
Buffalo High School 1720
Lakeville North High School 1716
Lakeville South High School 1711
Robbinsdale Armstrong High School 1703
Mounds View High School 1693
Brainerd High School 1685
Park High School 1685

Stang5280
Posts: 885
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Here’s my shot at ranking the strongest Class A sections, based on competitiveness near the top. There is a pretty clear gap between the top three sections and the others, though 5A is always an interesting ride.

1. 8A
EGF, Warroad, TRF, Cannon Fodder
2. 6A
SCC, Alexandria, Sartell, Little Falls
3. 7A
Hermantown, Denfeld, Greenway, Eveleth-Gilbert
4. 4A
Mahtomedi, Tartan, SPA, Johnson
5. 5A
North Branch, Monticello, Princeton, Pine City
6. 2A
Orono, Delano, Breck, Robbinsdale
7. 1A
Mankato East, Dodge County, Albert Lea, Minnesota River
8. 3A
Marshall, LDC, Hutchinson, New Ulm

elliott70
Posts: 13138
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I have been all over northwest MN but I have never been to Cannon Fodder.
I will have to check it out.

Stang5280
Posts: 885
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm
I have been all over northwest MN but I have never been to Cannon Fodder.
I will have to check it out.
It’s everywhere but yet nowhere, at least this year :wink:

ClassAGuy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm
Here’s my shot at ranking the strongest Class A sections, based on competitiveness near the top. There is a pretty clear gap between the top three sections and the others, though 5A is always an interesting ride.

1. 8A
EGF, Warroad, TRF, Cannon Fodder
2. 6A
SCC, Alexandria, Sartell, Little Falls
3. 7A
Hermantown, Denfeld, Greenway, Eveleth-Gilbert
4. 4A
Mahtomedi, Tartan, SPA, Johnson
5. 5A
North Branch, Monticello, Princeton, Pine City
6. 2A
Orono, Delano, Breck, Robbinsdale
7. 1A
Mankato East, Dodge County, Albert Lea, Minnesota River
8. 3A
Marshall, LDC, Hutchinson, New Ulm
I would have to disagree with you.

This year it goes...
1. 8A- 3 very good teams.
2. 7A- Great Depth with the Giant of Class A never allowing us to see it much.
3. 6A- Down a little this year but always a great battle
4. 4A- Mahtomedi has dominated this Section need someone else to start pushing them. TG went AA and SPA had the one year. But Mahtomedi would win most other sections.
5. 2A- Orono State Champ Two years ago Breck all those years Delano 2A is tougher than 5A.
6. 5A- Getting better still Besides the Moose Magic Run two years ago they never have enough to get a seed.
7. 1A- VERY DOWN of late. The old Lourdes teams were tough.
7. 3A- Really Luverne has been the only team that brought enough to be competitive but they look to be a dead program.

hockey59
Posts: 1333
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by hockey59 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm
I don't proclaim to be the smartest person in the world but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see the way it's going after the section realignments this year i.e. Anoka to Section 7AA, Tartan to Single A, etc... Just seems to me that the league wants to go to 3 classes or do the Top 32 teams like football which I think will kill the state tournament excitment. But that's just my problem I guess since I seem to be the only one freaking out about the way HS seems to be going. It's also off topic from this thread so I apologize and will try to contribute.

2AA was the toughest
1AA was the weakest

2AA was pretty much a state tournament after the first round. Will this be the toughest again next year or will 6AA give it a good run?
There will NEVER be 3 classes in boys hockey. And it’s unlikely they ever abandon the 8 sections based on geographic location ☝️

thestickler07
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by thestickler07 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am
StanleyCup55 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm
I don't proclaim to be the smartest person in the world but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see the way it's going after the section realignments this year i.e. Anoka to Section 7AA, Tartan to Single A, etc... Just seems to me that the league wants to go to 3 classes or do the Top 32 teams like football which I think will kill the state tournament excitment. But that's just my problem I guess since I seem to be the only one freaking out about the way HS seems to be going. It's also off topic from this thread so I apologize and will try to contribute.

2AA was the toughest
1AA was the weakest

2AA was pretty much a state tournament after the first round. Will this be the toughest again next year or will 6AA give it a good run?
There will NEVER be 3 classes in boys hockey. And it’s unlikely they ever abandon the 8 sections based on geographic location ☝️
Agree, hockey and football are so different from a geographical and cultural perspective in the state - they would never get rid of 7/8 and make it a 'metro' state tournament.

goldy313
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by goldy313 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:35 pm

I would never say never, schools that opt up keep the two separate northern sections alive.
1AA was, at one time, Austin, Albert Lea, Faribault, Owatonna, Century, John Marshall, Mayo, and Winona. 3 of those schools opted up, Lakeville didn’t come in until Albert Lea stopped opting up.

Now, 1AA clearly doesn’t have the history other sections do but numbers matter, not history in assigning sections.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

Godly is right on this one. While all of us high school hockey fanatics think the history is too important to change, we have to remember that the state high school league does not take this into account, and they certainly aren’t hockey fanatics. 7AA in particular, but also a bit of 8AA rely on teams opting up. If that stops, some major changes will likely happen with sections. Not saying it will stop, but as the price of the game increases and the economy of the north decreases or remains stagnant at the very least, it wouldn’t be inconceivable for schools to merge, opt back down to their designated class, or see even more of the top athletes go to one or two powerhouse teams, leaving only a couple true AA teams in the north.

elliott70
Posts: 13138
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by elliott70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am
Godly is right on this one. While all of us high school hockey fanatics think the history is too important to change, we have to remember that the state high school league does not take this into account, and they certainly aren’t hockey fanatics. 7AA in particular, but also a bit of 8AA rely on teams opting up. If that stops, some major changes will likely happen with sections. Not saying it will stop, but as the price of the game increases and the economy of the north decreases or remains stagnant at the very least, it wouldn’t be inconceivable for schools to merge, opt back down to their designated class, or see even more of the top athletes go to one or two powerhouse teams, leaving only a couple true AA teams in the north.

I am not sure this is true.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 am

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am
Godly is right on this one. While all of us high school hockey fanatics think the history is too important to change, we have to remember that the state high school league does not take this into account, and they certainly aren’t hockey fanatics. 7AA in particular, but also a bit of 8AA rely on teams opting up. If that stops, some major changes will likely happen with sections. Not saying it will stop, but as the price of the game increases and the economy of the north decreases or remains stagnant at the very least, it wouldn’t be inconceivable for schools to merge, opt back down to their designated class, or see even more of the top athletes go to one or two powerhouse teams, leaving only a couple true AA teams in the north.

I am not sure this is true.
“Or remains stagnant...” implying it is currently stagnant without much in projections of it trending upwards. Thanks for reading the rest of the sentence.

kniven
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

Most hockey programs north of Hinckley don’t have expectations of a state birth. But rather to compete with the teams on their schedule from the north and maybe steal a game or two against metro team, that’s if they play any. I don’t know what that would feel like to expect a state tournament birth at years end. But that’s not why I’m a fan. Hermantown, Duluth East will be dominant forever. Grand Rapids is susceptible to a good/bad economy, being a small town in the middle of “not much.

elliott70
Posts: 13138
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by elliott70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 am
elliott70 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am
Godly is right on this one. While all of us high school hockey fanatics think the history is too important to change, we have to remember that the state high school league does not take this into account, and they certainly aren’t hockey fanatics. 7AA in particular, but also a bit of 8AA rely on teams opting up. If that stops, some major changes will likely happen with sections. Not saying it will stop, but as the price of the game increases and the economy of the north decreases or remains stagnant at the very least, it wouldn’t be inconceivable for schools to merge, opt back down to their designated class, or see even more of the top athletes go to one or two powerhouse teams, leaving only a couple true AA teams in the north.

I am not sure this is true.
“Or remains stagnant...” implying it is currently stagnant without much in projections of it trending upwards. Thanks for reading the rest of the sentence.
I read the whole post - I don't think it is stagnant either.....

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:26 am

There are of course a couple of exceptions depending on the year, but largely the data says otherwise.

ShakestheClown
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by ShakestheClown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm

I'm just happy that the metro area allows the northern sections to play hockey at all...

TTpuckster
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 pm

ShakestheClown wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm
I'm just happy that the metro area allows the northern sections to play hockey at all...
Yup, I agree. Very kind of dem dere cidiots :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?

greenwayraider
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Wait until Marshall drops to A. They’ll put Centennial or Blaine in 7AA.

Post Reply