YHH Summer HS Hockey Podcast 2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

YHH Summer HS Hockey Podcast 2019

Post by karl(east) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Here we are with our summer edition. Plenty to entertain Danny, Tony, and I on a Sunday in August, including:

-Section-by-section coverage of comings and goings
-Coaching changes
-AA top 10 and Class A top 5 as of 8/25/19

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1044240

Thanks for listening!

WestMetro

Re: YHH Summer HS Hockey Podcast 2019

Post by WestMetro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Well done!

I notice Karl was in town for this podcast, but not for the Edina Festival? Better pay?

Went back and checked all West Metro (the alter YHH) previous transfer posts, to make sure you didnt miss anything! :D

Will there be more coaching drama between now and Nov 1? ( Things may not be what they seem :shock: )

Edina- got to earn their way into top 10? Can Borst put up 45 points? Is Nick Williams the 2nd best hockey player on the team?

HM-got burned last year on the Pios, and expecting Oberle wont be there, so going with da Bears. Nevertheless, got the 4AA final on my calendar.

Wayzata - an always good dark horse. But Blaine has more provens for top 10 at this point.

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

I think Blaine is right there. Way too many unknowns on August 25 to put them in T10. Seems the sheer talent level of the Lake the last 50 years trumped the Bengals today.

If Richels comes back (and we think he will)...and they get the chemistry truck pointed in the right direction. i think the Bengals will be as good as 2018-19. Two big If's. Big fan of Chris Carroll.

Thanks for listening!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 pm

With all due respect the Braemar concession stand, the State Fair offers somewhat tastier fare. (Believe it or not, hockey is usually secondary when it comes to my summer travel schedule!)

Was good to dust things off and start to get ready for the season ahead, though...it's not that far off!

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:51 pm

I just finished listening to the podcast. It was.....AWESOME!👍. Nice job you three 🤓
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 am

Great show and clears up a few things that have been circulating around the Forum

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am

Hearing rumors an EP player leaving before he arrives.... maybe just rumor....

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Two follow ups from the show.

1. We were informed after the show by the Andover staff that Will Larson did move but was out of action last year due to injury. They think he will make it back in time to compete for a spot in November.

2. Our European player to BSM was denied eligibility by the MSHSL.

Thanks again for tuning into the show. We packed a lot into 1:10.

-Tony

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 am

YouthHockeyHub wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 pm
Two follow ups from the show.

1. We were informed after the show by the Andover staff that Will Larson did move but was out of action last year due to injury. They think he will make it back in time to compete for a spot in November.

2. Our European player to BSM was denied eligibility by the MSHSL.

Thanks again for tuning into the show. We packed a lot into 1:10.

-Tony
The tweet from last evening has us all waiting with bated breath...

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 am

About 4-5 things going on right now that could pop...sorry for the tease.

With school starting, junior camps happening and our podcast - Monday was a whirlwind.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am

Agree, when I look thru these rosters I still have status questions on quite a few kids , as well as a few who are not rostered in hsel

http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/2019-rosters

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Believe it or not a lot of high school hockey fans do not give a rip about the high school elite league.

Sad when most hockey associations are now feeder systems to the private schools and that people will move so little Johnny can play in Eden Prairie.

Sad that Youth Hockey Hub seems to celebrate this.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Tony celebrates hockey.
I think he tries to give credit where
Credit is due
Danny and Karl have their favorites
Ha ha

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 pm

I think anyone with a conscience who covers youth and high school athletics has to wrestle with the question of how much attention is too much. We all love the game and want to draw attention to good stories, and obviously there's a market for it, but we don't want to go over the top, either. One person's warm accolades are another's excessive hype. I suppose we all draw the line in different places.

My operating principles have always been:
1. We can't pretend things aren't happening, and it would be remiss for people to talk about high school hockey to ignore things like transfers and the talent collection arms race. Maybe that makes us complicit as we blather about it; I don't know. But let's not pretend these trends don't long predate Youth Hockey Hub or this forum. This is the reality of high school hockey in 2019.
2. We don't do kids any favors by sheltering them from the realities of being a semi-public figure, which is what varsity hockey players at many high schools in Minnesota are. With the pursuit of glory comes some responsibility--not that a misstep in high school should tarnish a kid for life, but there also shouldn't be any assumption of anonymity.

Fiveholewashup35

Post by Fiveholewashup35 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:24 pm
Believe it or not a lot of high school hockey fans do not give a rip about the high school elite league.

Sad when most hockey associations are now feeder systems to the private schools and that people will move so little Johnny can play in Eden Prairie.

I tried hard not to say anything on your comment. Not hard enough I guess..

A lot of HS hockey fans don’t give a rip about Elite League you say? How many is “not a lot”? I’m just talking out of my ass here but, I’m guessing “a lot” of Junior teams “a lot” of college teams and “a lot” of pro teams “give a rip” about Elite League. I don’t understand why you and “a lot” of these said fans wouldn’t enjoy most of the top players going at it. Trying to further their hockey careers. I say, best of luck to all those boys. I hope I can catch a few games.

YHH is just trying to keep us “Hockey Fans” up to date and in the Know. Try not to be so salty. We get to watch future Junior, College and Pro hockey players. Not many states have that option.

knights58

Post by knights58 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 am

SEC Scotty wrote:

:roll:
First of all, come to an Elite league hockey game sometime and see the stands...also, especially early on before college/jr's really get started, there are 60 scouts there watching. There is a big market for everything YHH is doing....otherwise, like any other business, they would not exist. Just because you don't care about Elite league and many others don't...so what? I don't give a rip about the world badminton championships but yet they were on FS1 the other day...on national tv. So someone cares...there is a market. Good for the badminton fans...everyone else? move on..don't watch it..don't follow it. Easy.

Just a question...where are private schools supposed to get their players? They don't have hockey associations of their own, so um, yeah....hockey associations have been and will always be feeder systems for private schools. If you don't like the current model...then work to change the rules. Why shouldn't people have options to do what they think is best for their kid? So some people "are sad" about it? oh well....be sad. These other parents will be fine doing what they think is best for their kid.

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:33 pm

knights58 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 am
SEC Scotty wrote:

:roll:
First of all, come to an Elite league hockey game sometime and see the stands...also, especially early on before college/jr's really get started, there are 60 scouts there watching. There is a big market for everything YHH is doing....otherwise, like any other business, they would not exist. Just because you don't care about Elite league and many others don't...so what? I don't give a rip about the world badminton championships but yet they were on FS1 the other day...on national tv. So someone cares...there is a market. Good for the badminton fans...everyone else? move on..don't watch it..don't follow it. Easy.

Just a question...where are private schools supposed to get their players? They don't have hockey associations of their own, so um, yeah....hockey associations have been and will always be feeder systems for private schools. If you don't like the current model...then work to change the rules. Why shouldn't people have options to do what they think is best for their kid? So some people "are sad" about it? oh well....be sad. These other parents will be fine doing what they think is best for their kid.
I know the private schools don't have hockey associations.

So many times its the parents with stars in their eyes and not their kids. Elite camps. Elite leagues. Year round hockey. Sometimes the kid would probably rather play with his friends.
That's why its so great to see a private school get upset in the sections. Tartan came close last year.
Listening to the YHH podcast talking how the Lake Conference teams will somehow be negatively effected because they have to give up non-conference games to play Buffalo and St. Michael. Gimme a break.

I can find a good hockey game in December. So why drive to New Hope to see a exhibition game.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm
Tony celebrates hockey.
I think he tries to give credit where
Credit is due
Danny and Karl have their favorites
Ha ha
While I enjoy the banter on the HS hockey podcast, let's be realistic here...

Tony celebrates by rolling around naked in all of the money he makes off of youth hockey tournaments from starry eyed parents who so desperately want YHH to tweet about their "elite" 2006 thru 2012 birth year son / daughter. He has his favorite associations / players based on which high profile or wealthy dads pucker up and kiss his derriere or vice versa. He'll pimp the heck out of which ever team / kids stands to help him the most financially.

I give him a lot of credit though (sincerely)...he spotted the "7 out of 10" market share of youth hockey and they can't wait to give him their hard earned money. Take the "Stars of Tomorrow" tourney for example, $225 or $250 per kid for 4 games. Johnny Superstar plays 15 min per game * 4 games = 60 minutes of ice time. The "7 out of 10" just paid $225 or $250 for an hour of ice time (not incl hotels, meals, etc if they're from up north) in the hope that YHH will put Johnny up on the website or a shout out on twitter...delusional.

"There's a sucker born every minute"
~PT Barnum

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Henrik Zetterberg's nephew is not going to BSM. He would be considered an exchange student and would only be eligible for one season. Pretty lame on MSHSL's part of you ask me.

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 am

There's a few bitter whiners on here that are a bit tweaked because their kids or associations haven't had enough success in HS hockey. Free market is great isn't it? If there's a market and people support it...great. YHH does what they do and they do it well. More people get pissy and have issues if their kid or association isn't mentioned enough and they think they should be. Again, if you don't like YHH...don't support it. pretty simple. If enough people don't support it, they will cease to exist. That's how the market works. But of course the people that like it, support it, or have their kids play in their tournaments etc are "suckers" right? Whatever...ask the kids that play in these tournaments and get mentioned if they enjoy it. do some research before you come up with your deep theories. Have you ever gone back and looked at rosters of kids that have played in bantam elites and some of these tournaments that YHH has put on? a huge number are now heading off to play JR's and D1 hockey. Weird.....what a bunch of suckers.
If parents want to make decisions for their kids, within the rules, then who gives a crap what people say that have nothing to do with their kids? Does it work out for every kid...every parent? No...but again, that's their deal. So I get it..it's a posting board, people share their opinions etc. So all good...but at the same time, they are exactly that. OPINIONS. Everyone has one...just don't be surprised when people don't care about yours (or mine for that matter). Just try to gain some factual knowledge first if possible.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:51 pm

knights58 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 am
There's a few bitter whiners on here that are a bit tweaked because their kids or associations haven't had enough success in HS hockey. Free market is great isn't it? If there's a market and people support it...great. YHH does what they do and they do it well. More people get pissy and have issues if their kid or association isn't mentioned enough and they think they should be. Again, if you don't like YHH...don't support it. pretty simple. If enough people don't support it, they will cease to exist. That's how the market works. But of course the people that like it, support it, or have their kids play in their tournaments etc are "suckers" right? Whatever...ask the kids that play in these tournaments and get mentioned if they enjoy it. do some research before you come up with your deep theories. Have you ever gone back and looked at rosters of kids that have played in bantam elites and some of these tournaments that YHH has put on? a huge number are now heading off to play JR's and D1 hockey. Weird.....what a bunch of suckers.
If parents want to make decisions for their kids, within the rules, then who gives a crap what people say that have nothing to do with their kids? Does it work out for every kid...every parent? No...but again, that's their deal. So I get it..it's a posting board, people share their opinions etc. So all good...but at the same time, they are exactly that. OPINIONS. Everyone has one...just don't be surprised when people don't care about yours (or mine for that matter). Just try to gain some factual knowledge first if possible.
a) Fess up...how many Stars of Tomorrow, Pee Wee Challenges, etc have you forked over money for?
b) I don't care what associations get love and which don't...merely pointing out that YHH only focuses on a select few. That isn't an opinion, the proof is in the pudding if you read their website at all, it's not hard to pickup on. My kids haven't been a part of assoc hockey for some time now. You can assume that I am bitter, but it's not the case.
c) Are you drawing a correlation between the kids who played in YHH events and end up D1 or Juniors made it there because they played in YHH All-Star tourneys or played in Bantam Elite League? Funny, not a lot of scouts covering YHH all-star tournaments or BEL for that matter. I would contend that the kids who made it were going to make it regardless if they played in a YHH event. If you want to see a ton of scouts, go to an HSEL or MSHSL game.
d) Yes, if you pay $250 for Johnny to play a total of 60 minutes of ice time in a wknd for a YHH all-star challenge, etc...you are a moron and you are part of the problem with youth sports today. The kids could care less, it's all about the parents being able to puff out their chests.
e) Yes, these are my opinions. Do I care if anyone values them...not really.
f) What are you trying to say isn't factual? The dollars involved? I know what the events cost, it's not difficult to do some public school math to figure out how much money they make after ice time, refs, swag, etc.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm

Specifically how are some associations "covered" by yhh.com in a way disproportionately with the coverage you think yhh.com should instead be providing?

cigar

Post by cigar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm

fatcat,

thanks for your opinions.
and thankfully they are only opinions...

And if you think YHH is making a ton of money, I say God Bless them... They deserve it.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm
Specifically how are some associations "covered" by yhh.com in a way disproportionately with the coverage you think yhh.com should instead be providing?
That's like when my wife nags on me for never doing the dishes and then I say that I do in fact do them from time to time and she says "oh yeah, when have you done the dishes?"

I should expand that comment / opinion of mine to include Twitter I guess and also include AAA hockey.

Examples:
-When Gentry was a sponsor they talked about / mentioned their kids all of the time
-When an 04 who attended SSM had a parent working there, mentioned a lot
-When a really rich dude bought MAP S from MAP N and subsequently a piece of BEL to ensure his kid(s) and their buddies had a place to train / play and who happens to be a sponsor on YHH...you see a ton of stuff about their AAA teams and MAP S

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:35 pm

cigar wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm
fatcat,

thanks for your opinions.
and thankfully they are only opinions...

And if you think YHH is making a ton of money, I say God Bless them... They deserve it.
You must have missed the part where I gave them credit for finding a niche market and cashing in on it?