Which Varsity programs utilize their JV teams well?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BeauKnowsHockey

Which Varsity programs utilize their JV teams well?

Post by BeauKnowsHockey »

I am just curious how many programs in the state use their JV teams to truly feed their varsity? I feel like Bantams are used more heavily?

I’m curious about anyone else’s thoughts.

-Beau
Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com
BP

Re: Which Varsity programs utilize their JV teams well?

Post by BP »

Beau - you should post this on main HS page - no one ever reads the JV column. You'd get a much better response.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

BP wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:42 am Beau - you should post this on main HS page - no one ever reads the JV column. You'd get a much better response.
It's been moved.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well, I’ll give one example from last year

Most astonishing that Kevin Delaney made Edina varsity as a senior, having played JV until then.
I think he ended up with 25 points or so , And was a real sparkplug .
green4

Post by green4 »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 pm Well, I’ll give one example from last year

Most astonishing that Kevin Delaney made Edina varsity as a senior, having played JV until then.
I think he ended up with 25 points or so , And was a real sparkplug .
The Edina graduating class from 2015 comes to mind. Guys like Perunovich, Meyer, Fuss, Mismash and Bowlby all played a year or two on JV and all had careers after high school, some made it to college teams
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Hill-Murray has basically run their JV program as a Bantam team the past few years, with much of the roster filled with 8th and 9th graders. It hasn’t really translated to major success at the varsity level yet, but it is definitely a unique approach, seemingly wanting to get kids into their system early.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 pm Hill-Murray has basically run their JV program as a Bantam team the past few years, with much of the roster filled with 8th and 9th graders. It hasn’t really translated to major success at the varsity level yet, but it is definitely a unique approach, seemingly wanting to get kids into their system early.
Way to cover the entire Metro Stang , well done!
The Anderson brothers both played varsity as 8th graders for the Pios , as did Pierre . There may have been others ?
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 pm Hill-Murray has basically run their JV program as a Bantam team the past few years, with much of the roster filled with 8th and 9th graders. It hasn’t really translated to major success at the varsity level yet, but it is definitely a unique approach, seemingly wanting to get kids into their system early.
Didn't the catholic schools also form their own league for 6-7th graders to play in?
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Karl may have more insight, but I think this may be a year that DE will have a revolving door between JV and Varsity -on 4th line- at least in the beginning of the season.
Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy »

Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Pertyboy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm I can vouch for single A teams. Most dont have the numbers for kids to just play varsity. Many play some JV and some varsity, for sure as sophomores. The 3rd and 4th lines are mainly made up of these players. Depends on the program, some even have seniors playing JV just to fill out the rosters
That’s true too for CEC most years as well.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 am Karl may have more insight, but I think this may be a year that DE will have a revolving door between JV and Varsity -on 4th line- at least in the beginning of the season.
This was pretty much the case last season and in a decent number of other seasons in East's history. Randolph has never been afraid to rotate through lots of bodies.

East is unique in that the program pulls a lot of bantam-eligible kids up to high school, but with a couple of exceptions those players usually come up to play varsity, or at least split their time. With all of the roster turnover, this coming season could be a good test of whether last year's strong JV team can translate that to varsity.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Generally the larger programs with more numbers will utilize their JV's for their sophomore players. Smaller programs need younger players to come up earlier to fill the rosters.