University of St Thomas

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

That guy for that thing

Re: University of St Thomas

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 am
nu2hockey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
The Wolves averaged 7.9k attendance last season.
Yeah, but, the Wolves are not in Champaign, they play in the northwest suburbs (Rosemont) where most of the youth hockey takes place....the Mission went downtown ,which is stupid, the Fury are down by Joliet, but the highest number of rinks and young players are northwest
That's super, but Mankato doesn't lie in a hockey hotbed. In fact they are in an area where wrestling and basketball reign supreme yet they manage ok with an enrollment that without looking I assume is less than UCI. Is UNO in a hockey hotbed? Notre Dame? Penn State? Ohio State? Arizona State?
This is a great point. You are giving college kids something to go do that is fast-paced and physical. It gives them something to "pre-game" for, more to party around.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 am

Penn St. had a donor who paid for the program. Notre Dame is national, not regional. Mankato is in a state hockey crazy, same reason Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. can support so many D1 football teams. Omaha supported a USHL team far and away better than anyone else in that league for years at Aksarben.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:03 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 am
Penn St. had a donor who paid for the program. Notre Dame is national, not regional. Mankato is in a state hockey crazy, same reason Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. can support so many D1 football teams. Omaha supported a USHL team far and away better than anyone else in that league for years at Aksarben.
There is nothing to say UIC can't have a donor and PSU's donor isn't buying tickets, Notre Dame's national recognition has nothing to do with filling seats, Mankato is not a hockey area and is barely a hockey school but has decent attendance and again the Chicago Wolves draw very well in their league. Try again.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:03 am
goldy313 wrote:
There is nothing to say UIC can't have a donor and PSU's donor isn't buying tickets, Notre Dame's national recognition has nothing to do with filling seats, Mankato is not a hockey area and is barely a hockey school but has decent attendance and again the Chicago Wolves draw very well in their league. Try again.
Not sure how you define hockey area,but, Mankato is a hockey area. All the surrounding communities have high school teams and associations...want to see community based hockey?... Try attending one of these small community's home games..community pride and passion exists in all of these rinks , my guess would be that on a per capita basis(population wise) these small towns have better attendance than many of the cities teams..

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am

nu2hockey wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
goldy313 wrote:
Not sure how you define hockey area,but, Mankato is a hockey area. All the surrounding communities have high school teams and associations...want to see community based hockey?... Try attending one of these small community's home games..community pride and passion exists in all of these rinks , my guess would be that on a per capita basis(population wise) these small towns have better attendance than many of the cities teams..
I graduated from MSU before they turned Div I and no one went to games then. Even now they draw just OK considering how good of a record they've the past few years. Most people at the games when I go down barely watch nor understand the game and student participation is pretty poor. Mankato and surrounding areas pay far more attention to bb and fb.

I am not knocking MSU in any way - I am simply countering the claims that UIC has insurmountable hills to climb and could never manage to draw as well as MSU, UNO, WMU, PSU, OSU, ND....

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:04 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am
nu2hockey wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

I graduated from MSU before they turned Div I and no one went to games then. Even now they draw just OK considering how good of a record they've the past few years. Most people at the games when I go down barely watch nor understand the game and student participation is pretty poor. Mankato and surrounding areas pay far more attention to bb and fb.

I am not knocking MSU in any way - I am simply countering the claims that UIC has insurmountable hills to climb and could never manage to draw as well as MSU, UNO, WMU, PSU, OSU, ND....
I think they had a higher average attendance than SCSU last year and are right behind many of the huge Big Ten schools... 1992 is far gone. :wink:

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:04 am
Slap Shot wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

I think they had a higher average attendance than SCSU last year and are right behind many of the huge Big Ten schools... 1992 is far gone. :wink:
St. Cloud's and Mankato's attendance last year were roughly the same.

According to USCHO.com, SCSU averaged 4146 per game, 16th in the country.
MSUM averaged 4129 per game, ranking 18th.

Full attendance figures are here:

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/ ... 2018-2019/

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 am

Duluthguy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 am
MrBoDangles wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Ok... CollegeXpress and others had MSU having higher. The point is it’s not a ghost town for attendance.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:50 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 am
Duluthguy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Ok... CollegeXpress and others had MSU having higher. The point is it’s not a ghost town for attendance.
I didn't say it was a ghost town but rather I don't see UIC being unable to get enough fans as some of the aforementioned schools to justify supporting a Div I program.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:50 am
MrBoDangles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 am
Duluthguy wrote:

I didn't say it was a ghost town but rather I don't see UIC being unable to get enough fans as some of the aforementioned schools to justify supporting a Div I program.
Agree

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Attendance is a great topic as it pertains to St Thomas possibly going D-1

On one hand you have schools like ASU playing in front of 400 people and the U of MN playing in a arena half full.

My guess is St Thomas would struggle to draw in the casual Metro area hockey fan. Just to much competition in town with the Wild, the gophers and High School

But does attendance really matter in the big picture? It probably does when it comes to recruiting.

Sure their Alumni has deep pockets but if they play in a High School type arena, it's my guess they will struggle putting cheeks in the seats.

So St Thomas...if you decide to do this...Go all in...Go over the top...Build the neatest, coolest, hippest hockey arena you can.....Spend the money on a big name coach....Let the student in for free....Sell booze to the Alumni...and most of all, travel and look like rock stars.......Minnesota doesn't necessarily need another D-1 hockey school but if you build something unique, it could just work.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm

What if UST cuts into the Golden Rats' attendance by 50%? How would the Gophs replace those 500 fans?
Hockey Is For Everyone

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 pm

500... thatd be a great night...

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:43 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 pm

On one hand you have schools like ASU playing in front of 400 people and the U of MN playing in a arena half full.

My guess is St Thomas would struggle to draw in the casual Metro area hockey fan. Just to much competition in town with the Wild, the gophers and High School

But does attendance really matter in the big picture? It probably does when it comes to recruiting.

Sure their Alumni has deep pockets but if they play in a High School type arena, it's my guess they will struggle putting cheeks in the seats.

So St Thomas...if you decide to do this...Go all in...Go over the top...Build the neatest, coolest, hippest hockey arena you can.....Spend the money on a big name coach....Let the student in for free....Sell booze to the Alumni...and most of all, travel and look like rock stars.......Minnesota doesn't necessarily need another D-1 hockey school but if you build something unique, it could just work.
I would hope that St. Thomas won't be charging Goofer or Wild type prices for a seat in the stands. If they do, that would be program suicide.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:43 am
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

I would hope that St. Thomas won't be charging Goofer or Wild type prices for a seat in the stands. If they do, that would be program suicide.
I would think St. Thomas will have a great student section. They also have very dedicated alumni (from what I see and hear). You would think they would start with low ticket prices and cheap student prices to get the ball rolling. If they have success, the prices will climb.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:16 am

I didn't realize how many Iowegians were interested in MNHSH.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm

zooomx wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 am
BSUBeaver wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:43 am
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

I would think St. Thomas will have a great student section. They also have very dedicated alumni (from what I see and hear). You would think they would start with low ticket prices and cheap student prices to get the ball rolling. If they have success, the prices will climb.
The article in the local paper said they were looking at the possibility of builds and hockey/basketball arena where the football stadium is now and moving football games to Allianz Stadium. Hopefully they come up with a better plan and don't lose their on campus football stadium.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:58 pm

St Thomas could use it temporarily while building a new facility for football.

Hockey, meh, it wouldn’t take much to be average in D1 hockey attendance.

The money is in being in a conference that has an automatic qualifier for the basketball tournament. There is enough quality basketball players in Minnesota to put St Thomas in that level in two years.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
The Wolves averaged 7.9k attendance last season.
I had to think twice about which Wolves you were talking about. :lol: