University of St Thomas

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

University of St Thomas

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Hearing they’re being forced to Division I for sports... Anyone have any info on plans for the hockey team?

elliott70

Re: University of St Thomas

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:42 pm

2021 they will be d1

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Question remains what conference for
Football
Hockey

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:43 pm

From what I hear they want to move up

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:56 pm

They will move up to D-I if the NCAA allows their waiver request. Right now, a school moving up from D-III needs to make a stop at D-II (for five or six years???) as part of the transition. But, they are requesting a waiver from the NCAA based on the fact that the MIAC voted them out of the league at the start of the 2021 season.

The Summit League has already offered them an invite for Basketball. Football, not sure where they would go. Could end up in the Missouri Valley Conference with NDSU, SDSU, USD and UND, or they could end up in the Pioneer League, which is a non-scholarship league.

Hockey is in a more perilous position. It is probably the least successful of sports at St. Thomas. They do not have an on campus rink, or even a rink close to campus, playing out at St. Thomas Academy. From what I have heard, they do not get a lot of student support. And, the rink at STA would not be up to any D-I league standards other than Atlantic Hockey. So, they would be looking at needing a new rink. If they can get over that hurdle, they could end up with the seven teams that are breaking away from the WCHA in 2021.

I have heard rumors on both fronts that an arena will be built and that the team will be axed. Again, just rumors and I have nothing to back either side up.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm
Hearing they’re being forced to Division I for sports... Anyone have any info on plans for the hockey team?
Biggest problem is the arena. St. Thomas's 1,400 seat arena 7 miles from campus would be the second smallest in D1 hockey. Offering enough scholarships for a competitive D1 team would be difficult without some MAJOR booster support. Recruiting for a 2021 roster should start yesterday. Not saying it can't happen, but it will be a challenge.

Another option would be to move hockey to an ACHA club team while they recruit and either: A) Build a new arena, or B) Secure rights to a larger nearby arena. Maybe they could work out a deal with St. Paul Academy to tear down Drake arena and build it into a D1 quality facility?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:17 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm
MrBoDangles wrote:
Biggest problem is the arena. St. Thomas's 1,400 seat arena 7 miles from campus would be the second smallest in D1 hockey. Offering enough scholarships for a competitive D1 team would be difficult without some MAJOR booster support. Recruiting for a 2021 roster should start yesterday. Not saying it can't happen, but it will be a challenge.

Another option would be to move hockey to an ACHA club team while they recruit and either: A) Build a new arena, or B) Secure rights to a larger nearby arena. Maybe they could work out a deal with St. Paul Academy to tear down Drake arena and build it into a D1 quality facility?
I noticed a few big hockey names heading there... makes sense now that they’re going D1

I just heard they were getting bumped up this afternoon and read that basketball might be a focus. The article mentioned trying to mold in to a Marquette or Villanova.

Very wealthy alum... so if the want a nice rink... it will happen.

Should be very interesting

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:17 pm
The Exiled One wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

I noticed a few big hockey names heading there... makes sense now that they’re going D1

Who are they?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm
MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:17 pm
The Exiled One wrote:

Who are they?
Mageau is the one that stuck in my head.. I can’t remember the others and where I read it. Youth hockey hub or Karl maybe

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Sam Huff is currently playing there.

Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 am

A new ice plant in the Coliseum...bring hockey back to the Fairgrounds!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:11 pm

If they go DI, that will make the U the sixth best DI team in the state.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:13 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:11 pm
If they go DI, that will make the U the sixth best DI team in the state.
:lol:

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 am

Side Note/Question:
Any updates on U of Illinois going D1?

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 am
Side Note/Question:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... tory.html
This came out in August. I think that it should go through, but at the same time, I think club hockey needs to stay a thing and not get super depleted with teams going up to the NCAA levels.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 am

I would like to see coach Jeff Boeser and the UST suits go D1. I think there are enough capable kids looking for another Twin Cities metro D1 option, after their junior career. Plus, it would put additional heat on the Gophers to perform . ( I knew when they built the current rink that they should have gone bigger capacity and better lobby facilities for the future, they had the real estate and could have afforded the extra budget. Oh Well )

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Side Note/Question:
I have a relative who has been pushing this for years if not decades. His kids played for the Chicago Mission AAA. His view is Title IX is preventing it, along with hockey isn’t very popular outside Chicago...... the hockey joke is you could drop football at Illinois, nobody would notice.....there are enough kids in Illinois to support a team but maybe DePaul is the answer, or Northwestern or UIC. He doesn’t think Illinois will be D1. Also, there is no booster like Penn State had to fund it.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am

goldy313 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 pm
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Side Note/Question:
I have a relative who has been pushing this for years if not decades. His kids played for the Chicago Mission AAA. His view is Title IX is preventing it, along with hockey isn’t very popular outside Chicago...... the hockey joke is you could drop football at Illinois, nobody would notice.....there are enough kids in Illinois to support a team but maybe DePaul is the answer, or Northwestern or UIC. He doesn’t think Illinois will be D1. Also, there is no booster like Penn State had to fund it.
I would have to think that there is a deep pocketed booster that is an alum of DePaul or Northwestern? DePaul seems too tree huggerish to me (our nanny goes there...big time tree hugger) so I would think N'Western would be their best bet. Title IX would be better IMO if they weighted football rosters differently, it's the only collegiate sport that has 100+ athletes...maybe count them as 50% towards female numbers when trying to even the playing field.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:04 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am
goldy313 wrote:
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Side Note/Question:
I would have to think that there is a deep pocketed booster that is an alum of DePaul or Northwestern? DePaul seems too tree huggerish to me (our nanny goes there...big time tree hugger) so I would think N'Western would be their best bet. Title IX would be better IMO if they weighted football rosters differently, it's the only collegiate sport that has 100+ athletes...maybe count them as 50% towards female numbers when trying to even the playing field.
So reduce women's participation by 50+?

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm

So reduce women's participation by 50+?
No 75; so they can add a men's fencing team too. GB

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm

goldy313 wrote:
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Side Note/Question:
Chicago and St Louis area have very good AAA hockey so having a team in Illinois may work from a talent standpoint but after having lived in downstate (not Chicago) Illinois I would say basketball is all that matters and the population is much more like deep south than the mid-west so fan support could be an issue.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm
goldy313 wrote:
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Side Note/Question:
Chicago and St Louis area have very good AAA hockey so having a team in Illinois may work from a talent standpoint but after having lived in downstate (not Chicago) Illinois I would say basketball is all that matters and the population is much more like deep south than the mid-west so fan support could be an issue.
Not sure about that. I have seen many basketball and wresting families switch over to become hockey fans once they are exposed. It would be interesting to know if the Blues or Blackhawks get much support from that area. Actually having a D1 program might spur the additional interest.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm

The Wolves averaged 7.9k attendance last season.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Yeah, but, the Wolves are not in Champaign, they play in the northwest suburbs (Rosemont) where most of the youth hockey takes place....the Mission went downtown ,which is stupid, the Fury are down by Joliet, but the highest number of rinks and young players are northwest

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 am

nu2hockey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Yeah, but, the Wolves are not in Champaign, they play in the northwest suburbs (Rosemont) where most of the youth hockey takes place....the Mission went downtown ,which is stupid, the Fury are down by Joliet, but the highest number of rinks and young players are northwest
That's super, but Mankato doesn't lie in a hockey hotbed. In fact they are in an area where wrestling and basketball reign supreme yet they manage ok with an enrollment that without looking I assume is less than UCI. Is UNO in a hockey hotbed? Notre Dame? Penn State? Ohio State? Arizona State?