Bantams vs. High School

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MWS coach

Re: Bantams vs. High School

Post by MWS coach » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 pm

BP wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 am
My thought is every single situation/kid is different in regards to the association they are in, what kind of bantam team you are on, what the HS team's look like, times of games/practices, size/strength of the kid, cost/travel, kid mature enough to be around HS kids, etc. Lots of variables and again each kid is different. Sometimes JV is a way better option than Bantams if that Bantam A team is awful, culture is bad, coaching is bad, etc. But - it's also can be a great year for the kid to be a leader, score a ton of goals and dominate, gain confidence, be on the ice a ton for PP/PK, etc.

One thing people also need to consider is there are a ton of options for fall and spring hockey now with HP, BEL, AAA, etc. The kids can get more enough games if you combine that with a HS season. Say 20-30 games in fall, plus 25 HS games - that puts you at that 45-55 game spot. And I agree - a HS practice is a lot faster and daily development is important - isn't all about games. But that said - the kid needs to be physically ready for that next level.

What I am getting at - just need to assess every kid's situation - there isn't one size fits all.
=D>

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm

What are some of the expenses involved with HS hockey, & how much are they?
Hockey Is For Everyone

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Skates, sticks, pads and ice time are the big ones. Bus and driver. Occasionally if the coach wants to hire an assistant who wants more than what the school will pay that has to be covered. In my experience the state tournament was a big expense to cover hotel rooms, meals, bus and driver and ice time at a local rink for morning skates. A good booster club helps cover some of the extras.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 am
Skates, sticks, pads and ice time are the big ones. Bus and driver. Occasionally if the coach wants to hire an assistant who wants more than what the school will pay that has to be covered. In my experience the state tournament was a big expense to cover hotel rooms, meals, bus and driver and ice time at a local rink for morning skates. A good booster club helps cover some of the extras.
I think he meant - how much do kids pay to play HS. Correct East Side?

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm

BP wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
in my experience families are on the hook for most of the expenses other than coach's salaries unless the booster club steps up. A participation fee is paid to the school. I'm not sure what they are now days but I think when my kids played it was something like $75-$100. Ticket sales majority goes to the arena and the team got a set amount per game. In my experience the school paid for new uniforms and gloves every 4 years. In the organization my kids were in the booster club stepped in and bought new uniforms every 4 years and staggered it so the uniforms handed down to the JV were only 2 years old and were retired after 4 years rather than 8 years on the school schedule. The kids chose to buy their own conforming helmets so they could keep them year round. It ran around $600 per season with an additional $400 if they went to the state tournament. It's been a few years (15) since my kids played so maybe things are different now.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm
BP wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
in my experience families are on the hook for most of the expenses other than coach's salaries unless the booster club steps up. A participation fee is paid to the school. I'm not sure what they are now days but I think when my kids played it was something like $75-$100. Ticket sales majority goes to the arena and the team got a set amount per game. In my experience the school paid for new uniforms and gloves every 4 years. In the organization my kids were in the booster club stepped in and bought new uniforms every 4 years and staggered it so the uniforms handed down to the JV were only 2 years old and were retired after 4 years rather than 8 years on the school schedule. The kids chose to buy their own conforming helmets so they could keep them year round. It ran around $600 per season with an additional $400 if they went to the state tournament. It's been a few years (15) since my kids played so maybe things are different now.

I think I have PTSD from this experience 😂

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

edgeless2 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm
BP wrote:

I think I have PTSD from this experience 😂
Pass The Sugar Doughnuts? Mmmmmmm….doughnuts.