North St. Paul combined with Minnehaha???

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

North St. Paul combined with Minnehaha???

Post by Sparlimb »

When did this happen? And where was I? Obviously this year. I thought they'd just move down to A like Tartan did. Why didn't they combine with Tartan like they did on the girls? Seems really strange to me. Anyone know the story?
pioneers

Re: North St. Paul combined with Minnehaha???

Post by pioneers »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:32 pm When did this happen? And where was I? Obviously this year. I thought they'd just move down to A like Tartan did. Why didn't they combine with Tartan like they did on the girls? Seems really strange to me. Anyone know the story?
Tartan would not combine with them.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

I’m surprised the school board allowed this since Tartan and North are in the same school district. Does not make any sense. I’m sure interested to know how and why this decision was made.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Before they rebuilt part of North St. Paul's actual building, they talked about building a super school (ala Stillwater and WBL, etc) and combining the two schools. That's what the rest of the metro has done, so I was surprised when they chose to stick it out as separate entities. I wonder if Tartan made the choice to go to A before the request came in and this would have bumped them back up to AA and so they said no.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Tartan's enrollment is 1700. How do they qualify for Class A?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Thought somebody said last year they were somehow able to ask to move down, which they did. It struck me as odd, because Tartan has had some pretty decent teams the last few years. Not state contenders, but solid 4 seeds.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm Thought somebody said last year they were somehow able to ask to move down, which they did. It struck me as odd, because Tartan has had some pretty decent teams the last few years. Not state contenders, but solid 4 seeds.
There are many section where a 4 seed doesn't mean much at all.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

stpaul wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm Tartan's enrollment is 1700. How do they qualify for Class A?
Based on free and reduced lunch.
That's why all of the St. Paul schools play down in the other sports like football and basketball even though their enrollments hover around 2000.