Future of Duluth Marshall

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Re: Future of Duluth Marshall

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 pm
It’s all interesting as I’ve heard from DM parents they think that is what’s going to happen as Pionk is the driving force.
Unfortunately the Marshall parents don’t get a vote. Proctor’s season just ended on Tuesday. I highly doubt Scott has been the “driving force” behind anything other than coaching his team.

I think their options at this point are Denfeld or play it out with a smaller roster.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
Usthockey13 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 pm
It’s all interesting as I’ve heard from DM parents they think that is what’s going to happen as Pionk is the driving force.
Unfortunately the Marshall parents don’t get a vote. Proctor’s season just ended on Tuesday. I highly doubt Scott has been the “driving force” behind anything other than coaching his team.

I think their options at this point are Denfeld or play it out with a smaller roster.
Any speculation at this point is really just that. Let's just say there is some truth, but beyond the fact that conversations have happened, the topic and potential result are simply additions that have no basis of truth.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

Schotzy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 am
Duluth Marshall will announce their new head coach within the next few days.
Have they found more players for next year? I know they have been working on that before looking at other options.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am
Schotzy wrote:
Have they found more players for next year? I know they have been working on that before looking at other options.
They are still working on that and there has been some "talk" of new registrants, but nothing is confirmed until they are sitting in the classrooms in the fall. No confirmation on how many kids will be on the roster until the fall is all I can say with certainty. Anything beyond that is speculation, which I generally try to avoid.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:28 am

Schotzy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
They are still working on that and there has been some "talk" of new registrants, but nothing is confirmed until they are sitting in the classrooms in the fall. No confirmation on how many kids will be on the roster until the fall is all I can say with certainty. Anything beyond that is speculation, which I generally try to avoid.
Gotcha, thanks. Sounds like they are going to try to make it work then. I know a co-op has been discussed at the last three Proctor School board meetings, but that's mostly Scott Pionk pushing it for additional numbers. Quite a few people showed up to support it. As far as I know Marshall has not gone through any official channels to inquire about it though. I imagine that would have to be decided very soon though, so probably won't happen for next year. Hopefully they can keep it going.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:28 am
Schotzy wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Gotcha, thanks. Sounds like they are going to try to make it work then. I know a co-op has been discussed at the last three Proctor School board meetings, but that's mostly Scott Pionk pushing it for additional numbers. Quite a few people showed up to support it. As far as I know Marshall has not gone through any official channels to inquire about it though. I imagine that would have to be decided very soon though, so probably won't happen for next year. Hopefully they can keep it going.
I have been told that a co-op is the last resort, and they want to avoid that at all costs. Yes, there has been conversations with Proctor, but that is all it has been up to this point. They want to keep the program alive. The implications of losing hockey at a small school like Duluth Marshall has much larger implications than to the hand full of kids that play hockey. They lose hockey, they lose students. They may struggle to compete, but I believe they can build the program back up. Bottom line for me. I just want my son to be able to play next season. He loves the game, works hard at it, and simply wants to put on that Marshall sweater.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:55 pm

One way to find out is to ask who is DM scheduled to play against next season.
Play Like a Champion Today

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 pm

blueblood wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:55 pm
Find out what?

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 pm
blueblood wrote:
Find out what?
If they are A or AA next year?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
blueblood wrote:
Find out what?
They are AA. It’s a two year cycle.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm
kniven wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:

Find out what?
They are AA. It’s a two year cycle.
No exceptions?

raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:28 am
Schotzy wrote:

I have been told that a co-op is the last resort, and they want to avoid that at all costs. Yes, there has been conversations with Proctor, but that is all it has been up to this point. They want to keep the program alive. The implications of losing hockey at a small school like Duluth Marshall has much larger implications than to the hand full of kids that play hockey. They lose hockey, they lose students. They may struggle to compete, but I believe they can build the program back up. Bottom line for me. I just want my son to be able to play next season. He loves the game, works hard at it, and simply wants to put on that Marshall sweater.
Every time I read a story like this I think of how close Greenway was to folding 10 or so years ago. And Ely cancelling some games early on in this past season for lack of players. I think I speak for all of us on here when I say even though we may be rival schools, our hearts are with your program to survive & thrive. If memory serves me correctly, that used to be the Duluth Cathedral Hilltoppers with the famous Hoene brothers Phil & (I believe) Kevin.
Good luck to you.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm

raidergrad72 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 pm
If memory serves me correctly, that used to be the Duluth Cathedral Hilltoppers with the famous Hoene brothers Phil & (I believe) Kevin.
Good luck to you.
And the Trachsel brothers, Bill, Larry and especially Pokey! =D>

https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_articl ... ing-around

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm

I hope Duluth Marshall hires a head coach that can recruit. You would think that would be the proven experience they are looking for. A recruiter/ head coach.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Shared a beer with Scott Pionk a few weeks ago and, he indicated he would be open to a co-op arrangement with Marshall. But, that it obviously wasn't his decision and, he highly doubted it would happen. And, after speaking with the parent of a returning Marshall player a couple days ago, it seems that it's definitely not happening as Marshall has already hired a Director of Hockey. I won't release the name as I don't believe it's been officially announced yet but, he has spent 17 of the last 18 years coaching at the Div. III level, the last 15 of those as a head coach.

The Marshall parent I spoke with indicated it was his feeling that the Marshall administration might be going in the direction of the "Gentry model". I said I hoped that the Marshall administration had done it's research properly as Minnesota Hockey had just passed a new rule this past summer preventing organizations from establishing youth teams based on school attendance. Pretty much as a means of preventing anymore "Gentry Academies" from forming. Plus, the Duluth Amateur Hockey Association holds the "Affiliate Agreement" with Minnesota Hockey and thus their board of directors would need to approve of the addition of a USA Hoockey team at Marshall AND, said team would have to be a member of DAHA. Basically the same situation as about 6 years ago when Marshall asked DAHA to let them have their own Bantam A team. Needless to say, this parent rolled their eyes in exasperation after I said that.

I know that there is currently a lot of angst around the Duluth East program and, if Marshall hires the "right" coach (that's of course if the Director of Hockey isn't that person) and, if it is willing to offer some reductions in their current tuition prices (about 18K per year I believe), there would be a number of parents from pee wees to 10th graders that would at least give it a serious look.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Jasen Wise has been named the new hockey coach. Via press release linked from twitter below.

https://twitter.com/Ry_Compeau/status/1 ... 5563872256

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Yeah, that's the name of the person I was provided a few days ago. Obviously, he will be the head coach and not just the "Hockey Director" -- if he even ever was that. His coaching record is obviously fairly solid and he should bring instant credibility to the position/program. The question is, whether or not it's too late to save the program and bring it back to anywhere close to the level it was at even a few years ago. As I said in my previous post, there's definitely an opportunity to possibly bring in a number of kids from eastern Duluth. However, most of those parents aren't willing to pay $18K for high school. $10K maybe, but not $18K... The other factor is the upcoming decision by the Duluth School Board to shift the boundary between East and Denfeld. Two of the three proposals include shifting a number of hockey playing kids who are currently slated to go to East to go to Denfeld. Meaning, at least for those in the current Pee Wee group and below, at least a few of those higher end kids who might prefer a different option than playing at East, will now be playing at Denfeld and thus might not want to/need to consider the Marshall option. To be clear, I haven't heard definitively but, my guess is the Covid crisis will force the school board to defer that decision until this national challenge is over. Meaning, there probably won't be any definitive decisions made until at least a year from now so, no real actual changes in attendance until the 21-22 school year.

defense

Post by defense » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 am

Is this real?
Otter Hockey Rocks

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:46 am

"defense", when you ask "is this real?", what specifically are you asking about?

defense

Post by defense » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

Player transfer possibility
Otter Hockey Rocks

defense

Post by defense » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am

So in the near future.. Denfeld may be a power??? Is that real?
Otter Hockey Rocks

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 pm

"defense", regarding transfers; I'm not saying current East players would transfer to Marshall or any other school as I have no information about that. However, I am aware that a number of parents of current Pee Wee and Bantam players are certainly keeping their options open about where their sons might be able to play at the high school level. As for Denfeld being a "power"? That's very difficult to predict. Just depends on where the Duluth School Board sets the new boundary and, how many hockey playing kids that decision affects. Unfortunately, with the crisis our country is now facing, I have to believe the Board will be putting this decision off for at least another year.

defense

Post by defense » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 pm
"defense", regarding transfers; I'm not saying current East players would transfer to Marshall or any other school as I have no information about that. However, I am aware that a number of parents of current Pee Wee and Bantam players are certainly keeping their options open about where their sons might be able to play at the high school level. As for Denfeld being a "power"? That's very difficult to predict. Just depends on where the Duluth School Board sets the new boundary and, how many hockey playing kids that decision affects. Unfortunately, with the crisis our country is now facing, I have to believe the Board will be putting this decision off for at least another year.
Why can't Denfeld rise now? Or .. Proctor... I see them coming up
Otter Hockey Rocks

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 am

defense wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 pm
Why can't Denfeld rise now? Or .. Proctor... I see them coming up
Denfeld has risen. They were a top ten A team this year, and were a young team. They had a decent bantam team that will provide more depth next year, and the Hunters should be top 5 in class A. Maybe even one or two DM players head there, depending on what happens to that program.