Future of Duluth Marshall

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: Future of Duluth Marshall

Post by kniven » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:58 pm

blueblood wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Kniven - if you were alive in the 20's that would have you older than elliott. :^o
Oh man. That’s funny. I had to take a minute and chuckle on that one. 🤭👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:19 pm

I have a few thoughts on this.

I've been told that the US model of youth hockey is to get as many kids involved as possible, figuring that the cream will rise to the top. But the European model is to identify the best young kids, and put all your resources into them.

Given the increasing cost of hockey here, it would seem we are going more toward the Euro model.

I had one kid in the Rec League for it's first two seasons, when there were only four teams. This year I have another kid starting in the Rec League, and it looks like there are many more teams with more levels of play offered. The kid starting this year, it is his first year on an organized team. In 1975 he could have done that on a playground team. In 2019, there are no more playground teams and there is no way he could play association hockey. and it The Rec League gives him a venue, grows the game.

But specialization and elite teams have become the norm for all youth sports. I do wonder if we will develop a two track system for all youth sports, one elite & one more rec based.
Hockey Is For Everyone

walleyeguy

Post by walleyeguy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 am

Duluth_Topper wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:42 am
I agree with Schotzy as I am also a parent of a current Topper. Yes, there are probably a ton of stats about private vs. public. I am a graduate of one of the local high schools and back in the day though it was insane that someone would pay for high school. But what everyone needs to remember it is about the family and what they think. Do I think my kid would have done OK in his prior school - mostly likely yes. But first, off I am not a fan of standardizing testing. Next would be the large class sizes. Most of the public classes are over 30 kids where at Marshall most of the classes have 10-15 kids so they get more one on one time with the teachers. One of the things I always bring up is my son took Algebra 1 in 8th grade and when we came to Marshall all kids have to take a placement test to see where they want to put them. So he had to take Algebra 1 again in his freshman year. He was in a class with 11 kids and did very good so in his Sophomore year, he took Algebra 2 and Geometry at the same time.

We also never came to Marshall believing that we would be playing in the state tournament. But we did know that we would play a very aggressive AA schedule against teams like East, Minnetonka and St. Thomas Academy vs. playing teams like Ely and Moose Lake twice a year. And yes you look at the team 2 years ago with both Staubers and Grannis as Seniors and then even throw-in Krenzen that left 2 years early we lost a ton of top-end talent as well as skaters in general.

I also know first hand that Flaherty was starting to set up talks about Marshall going Tier 1 as he already saw the writing on the wall and with Marshall having dorms it could have housed students as potentially the Shattuck of the North.

Our family needed a change and could have just as easily transferred to Hermantown, East, or Cloquet but it was more than just hockey for us and there wouldn't have been any academic benefits for us to go to another public school. To this day we truly see first hand the benefits of the schooling at Marshall. But it will be interesting to see what happens to the program in the next couple of years as if you look at just the enrollment at Marshall and the class sizes they are trending way lower year after year and that also affects the number of hockey players.
Did you really need to throw Ely and Moose Lake under the bus? Necessary? Both of those programs are consistently picked of their talent to the likes of Marshall, Cloquet, and Hermantown. Ask the kids and coaches in Ely the impact of their top player being recruited to go to Hermantown.

Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:20 am

By no means was I trying to throw any of those teams under the bus. I should have just said high-end AA programs vs. lower A programs. Ben Johnson is a personal friend of mine and we are currently looking at playing Ely in place of our canceled game vs. Mounds View.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 am

Duluth_Topper wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:20 am
By no means was I trying to throw any of those teams under the bus. I should have just said high-end AA programs vs. lower A programs. Ben Johnson is a personal friend of mine and we are currently looking at playing Ely in place of our canceled game vs. Mounds View.
Duluth Marshall is going to figure something out for next year. I trust this. Lots of options, 1 option, or very little in options. Move back to A is a certainty. Co-op with Hermantown or Denfeld or Proctor or nobody. And just build back up on your own. All the best, Hilltoppers 👍

BP

Post by BP » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 am

Duluth Marshall is going to figure something out for next year. I trust this. Lots of options, 1 option, or very little in options. Move back to A is a certainty. Co-op with Hermantown or Denfeld or Proctor or nobody. And just build back up on your own. All the best, Hilltoppers 👍
[/quote]

Are they allowed to move down to A - wouldn't it be the following year during the every two section change?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 pm

BP wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 am

Are they allowed to move down to A - wouldn't it be the following year during the every two section change?
Right, my understanding is they'd be stuck in AA at least one more season unless there's some process I'm unaware of by which they can petition down.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Duluth East show mercy tonight vs. Duluth Marshall or kick the snot out of them 😐

HolyGrail

Post by HolyGrail » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:50 pm

kniven wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 am
It won't be Proctor . . . . and you can write that one down!

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm

HolyGrail wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:50 pm
kniven wrote:
What makes you think that? I’m hearing there has been some preliminary talks.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:01 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm
HolyGrail wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:50 pm
kniven wrote:
What makes you think that? I’m hearing there has been some preliminary talks.
I think that would be sweet! Denfeld must also be a realistic option. Would this be only for a couple years while they build their program up again?

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm

Denfeld isnt an option why would DD ever want that? Im hearing that DM and Proctor are in the preliminary talks and rumor has it Scott Pionk would be the new coach

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm
Denfeld isnt an option why would DD ever want that? Im hearing that DM and Proctor are in the preliminary talks and rumor has it Scott Pionk would be the new coach
I love the idea of Proctor-Marshall. I just hope it would be permanent.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
I think Denfeld would want that but the School District could be an obstacle. Things are great at Denfeld now but it will be tough again in a few years. I think Scott will be the Head Coach in Proctor at some point it just depends on when Stauber is ready to step down. It might make sense for Proctor to co-op since it’s such a small number of kids left at Marshall. They could use a few kids over the next few years. But their numbers shoot up after that so who knows?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 pm
Usthockey13 wrote:
I love the idea of Proctor-Marshall. I just hope it would be permanent.
I think the name would stay Proctor. I don’t see them changing it to Proctor-Marshall. Same as their co-op with South Ridge.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm
Usthockey13 wrote:
I think Denfeld would want that but the School District could be an obstacle. Things are great at Denfeld now but it will be tough again in a few years. I think Scott will be the Head Coach in Proctor at some point it just depends on when Stauber is ready to step down. It might make sense for Proctor to co-op since it’s such a small number of kids left at Marshall. They could use a few kids over the next few years. But their numbers shoot up after that so who knows?
Stauber quit everything at UWS to come coach and build something at Proctor. I can’t imagine he wants out of coaching? He is the AD as well at Proctor....

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:07 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm
Usthockey13 wrote:
Stauber quit everything at UWS to come coach and build something at Proctor. I can’t imagine he wants out of coaching? He is the AD as well at Proctor....
I haven’t talked to Dan personally, but I’ve been told that being both AD and Coach is not ideal. That’s a lot of hours outside normal school time. And keeps him from attending a lot of other Winter sporting events. I could see him handing it off soon.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 pm

Duluth Marshall tragically lost their coach who was building something, that has to be taken into account doesn’t it?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:14 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 pm
Duluth Marshall tragically lost their coach who was building something, that has to be taken into account doesn’t it?
Yes, Flaherty was very well liked and respected around here. But I’m not sure what you mean by “taken into account.” How does that affect their current situation?

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 am

I would agree that losing Brenden hurt DM alot. He was good at building those relationships and getting kids to come to DM

Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Duluth Marshall is now again without a coach. Mark Vichorek was informed via email this week he will not be back on the bench.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Sounds like the merger with Proctor and Pionk being the coach. If this does happen I’d assume they’d drop down to A

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:14 pm
Sounds like the merger with Proctor and Pionk being the coach. If this does happen I’d assume they’d drop down to A
I talked to some friends from Proctor at the Heritage Tuesday night and they said the School Board is adamantly against a co-op. So it sounds like that is not an option.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 pm

It’s all interesting as I’ve heard from DM parents they think that is what’s going to happen as Pionk is the driving force.