Future of Duluth Marshall

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Future of Duluth Marshall

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 am

kniven wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 pm
Hermantown just outshot Duluth Marshall 48-4, winning 10-0. And no JV for Marshall. I’d say that program is officially dead. And they play AA???????? Hibbing is officially dead as well. Proctor and Denfeld are in great shape long term. Not dead forever, just dead in their current form. Something drastic needs to change within those programs. Someday both will rise again, of course.
Marshall graduates I believe 11 Seniors this year. They will need to join a Co-Op next year or they will most likely have to fold. The question is if anyone would be interested in taking them. I heard one of the Dad's "unofficially" reached out to Proctor this last offseason but I don't think that is likely to ever happen. Denfeld is really the only possibility I can think of that might work. Marshall does have a sheet of ice to offer so that helps their case. They won't have a lot of talent left but they could offer some depth to Denfeld's program in what will probably be Denfeld's best and possibly last chance to come out of 7A.

kniven

Re: Future of Duluth Marshall

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:57 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 am
kniven wrote:
Hermantown just outshot Duluth Marshall 48-4, winning 10-0. And no JV for Marshall. I’d say that program is officially dead. And they play AA???????? Hibbing is officially dead as well. Proctor and Denfeld are in great shape long term. Not dead forever, just dead in their current form. Something drastic needs to change within those programs. Someday both will rise again, of course.
Marshall graduates I believe 11 Seniors this year. They will need to join a Co-Op next year or they will most likely have to fold. The question is if anyone would be interested in taking them. I heard one of the Dad's "unofficially" reached out to Proctor this last offseason but I don't think that is likely to ever happen. Denfeld is really the only possibility I can think of that might work. Marshall does have a sheet of ice to offer so that helps their case. They won't have a lot of talent left but they could offer some depth to Denfeld's program in what will probably be Denfeld's best and possibly last chance to come out of 7A.
Yea, that’s too bad. All the ladies in the top A thread have hurt feelings and are now going be upset with you too, Jeff. Have another cupcake and carton of cigarettes ladies, you are all way to cranky. Join a gym or start selling Avon or Tupperware to the masses. Good grief 🙄
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 am

kniven wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:57 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Yea, that’s too bad. All the ladies in the top A thread have hurt feelings and are now going be upset with you too, Jeff. Have another cupcake and carton of cigarettes ladies, you are all way to cranky. Join a gym or start selling Avon or Tupperware to the masses. Good grief 🙄
Thought it was better here than on the Top 20 A thread. Nothing against Marshall, I'm just looking at their numbers and genuinely curious about what they will do next year, if there are any Hilltoppers on here who are in the know.....

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 am

kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Well, maybe you shouldn't declare other programs "dead" when your own program is losing top players, has a coaching carousel, and has had three straight great bantam teams, yet can barely get past the section quarterfinals with those players.

As for DM, kudos to them for going AA when they had a good team. There is no shame in stepping back to A to rebuild.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am

Let's hope they can co-op and then start rebuilding.

Maybe Esko drops out of CEC and forms a co-op????

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 am

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 am
kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Well, maybe you shouldn't declare other programs "dead" when your own program is losing top players, has a coaching carousel, and has had three straight great bantam teams, yet can barely get past the section quarterfinals with those players.

As for DM, kudos to them for going AA when they had a good team. There is no shame in stepping back to A to rebuild.
I’ve moved on rain man. I’m going to be fine. So will my purple 🤓👍

Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 am

Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

Pertyboy wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 am
Rumor is Hermantown
Since the girls have in past. And they need another sheet of ice
Would that push Hermantown into AA?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 am

No, not even close. Hermantown wouldn’t coop if it did anyway.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 am

Pertyboy wrote:
Rumor is Hermantown
Makes sense.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
I am a parent of a Marshall 9th grader who is playing Bantams this year. He is one of 2-or-3 freshman who play hockey in his class. There are 2-or-3 8th graders who play hockey. I think there are 5-juniors and 6-sophomores (3 are goalies). The numbers don't really support the ability to roster a team in 20-21 with what I believe are 13 seniors graduating. Not to mention potential departures of underclassmen due to the numbers issue looking forward. It is a sad turn of events for which I do not have a direct explanation. Plenty of theories, but you can all fill in those blanks as well.

I am hoping that they can arrange a co-op for next season. A co-op with Denfeld would be awesome since they already have a bit of a relationship at the youth level. There are a couple kids on the Denfeld Bantam team that are Marshall students and the Hunters head coach is a former Marshall assistant. Denfeld and Proctor were only able to roster one Bantam team each, so their numbers could suggest supporting a co-op. Who knows? I remain hopeful as my son enjoys the game and would like to keep playing. We are not all that interested in a transfer for hockey purposes. Believe it or not, our choice to send our kids to Marshall had nothing to do with hockey. If our son determines he does not want to stop playing and a transfer is the only option, then that is a bridge we will cross. It will ultimately be his decision.

The hockey numbers in our area are taking a huge hit. The sport is moving past the age when it was an option for everyone. Now, you have to be willing to pay the price. Both with time and money. This is the result. I would not be surprised to see us having this same conversation down the road with other co-ops. i.e. Denfeld & Proctor, Denfeld & East. Hermantown does not have these types of concerns. :wink:

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:30 am

Pertyboy wrote:
Rumor is Hermantown
Hermantown is going to have to make a huge amount of cuts over the next 3-4 years. Their Bantam and PeeWee groups are huge and deep because of all the transfers and open-enrollees. Their Bantam AA team is ranked #3 in State and the A team is #8. I can't imagine Marshall would co-op with them just to watch all of their kids get cut????

The extra sheet only gives them what the Boys High School team is allotted. Marshall doesn't own the Arena. St. Scholastica Men and Women use it, plus Marshall's Girls team. Hermantown Youth would still have to pay for what little is left just like they do now.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:30 am
Pertyboy wrote:
Rumor is Hermantown
Hermantown is going to have to make a huge amount of cuts over the next 3-4 years. Their Bantam and PeeWee groups are huge and deep because of all the transfers and open-enrollees. Their Bantam AA team is ranked #3 in State and the A team is #8. I can't imagine Marshall would co-op with them just to watch all of their kids get cut????

The extra sheet only gives them what the Boys High School team is allotted. Marshall doesn't own the Arena. St. Scholastica Men and Women use it, plus Marshall's Girls team. Hermantown Youth would still have to pay for what little is left just like they do now.
I think this is the least likely scenario. They would be more likely to co-op with Hibbing or Greenway than Hermantown! :P

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 am

Schotzy wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
I am a parent of a Marshall 9th grader who is playing Bantams this year. He is one of 2-or-3 freshman who play hockey in his class. There are 2-or-3 8th graders who play hockey. I think there are 5-juniors and 6-sophomores (3 are goalies). The numbers don't really support the ability to roster a team in 20-21 with what I believe are 13 seniors graduating. Not to mention potential departures of underclassmen due to the numbers issue looking forward. It is a sad turn of events for which I do not have a direct explanation. Plenty of theories, but you can all fill in those blanks as well.

I am hoping that they can arrange a co-op for next season. A co-op with Denfeld would be awesome since they already have a bit of a relationship at the youth level. There are a couple kids on the Denfeld Bantam team that are Marshall students and the Hunters head coach is a former Marshall assistant. Denfeld and Proctor were only able to roster one Bantam team each, so their numbers could suggest supporting a co-op. Who knows? I remain hopeful as my son enjoys the game and would like to keep playing. We are not all that interested in a transfer for hockey purposes. Believe it or not, our choice to send our kids to Marshall had nothing to do with hockey. If our son determines he does not want to stop playing and a transfer is the only option, then that is a bridge we will cross. It will ultimately be his decision.

The hockey numbers in our area are taking a huge hit. The sport is moving past the age when it was an option for everyone. Now, you have to be willing to pay the price. Both with time and money. This is the result. I would not be surprised to see us having this same conversation down the road with other co-ops. i.e. Denfeld & Proctor, Denfeld & East. Hermantown does not have these types of concerns. :wink:
Thanks for the inside info. I agree that Denfeld makes the most sense for the reasons that you've stated. Quite a few Marshall students have played youth for Denfeld.

You're correct on numbers dropping in the area. I think it's a combination of cost and player movement. But If you count the Denfeld and Proctor kids that are playing in Hermantown, both of them would have had enough players for two Bantam teams. Fortunately for Proctor, they have large Squirt and PeeWee groups and their Mite numbers have doubled in the last two years. They are looking good down the road. I'm not sure Denfeld can say the same.

Something has to give here. Like I mentioned, Hermantown's Bantam A team is ranked #8 in the State! That's a lot of really good Hockey players with little to no chance of ever playing High School Hockey there. Do they just quit? Or do they go play somewhere else? Many of them are open-enrolled so still live in their original communities. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.....

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 am

You're correct on numbers dropping in the area. I think it's a combination of cost and player movement. But If you count the Denfeld and Proctor kids that are playing in Hermantown, both of them would have had enough players for two Bantam teams. Fortunately for Proctor, they have large Squirt and PeeWee groups and their Mite numbers have doubled in the last two years. They are looking good down the road. I'm not sure Denfeld can say the same.
I think too, you have to look at the current age group. It was mentioned to me a few months back, these kids that are in the '02 through '06 age group came of age to play hockey during a pretty stiff economic down-turn. A lot of people simply could not make that leap financially. I believe that is why we are seeing improved numbers at the younger levels.

Your point about movement is very valid. People have been migrating to programs hoping for something better. It has hurt the local associations and ultimately the high school ranks. It is bad for hockey as a whole as you end up with a bunch of players that have the ability but don't have a spot on their "home" team. The smaller programs take a hit in lost numbers and the kids pay a price if they are outside the top 25 in a transfer-bloated system.

Dog

Post by Dog » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:24 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:

I think it makes the most sense but I dont see the Duluth school board allowing it to happen. I could be wrong but they shot down selling the old Central property to another school for a pretty decent offer.
As a Denfeld fan, the kids who are at Marshall and play for Denfeld youth, would most certainly help DHS.

There's been multiple rumors of kids transferring to Denfeld but little has come of it. It's a "chicken or egg" thing: If Denfeld was going or went to state, kids would transfer. Until DHS does, kids probably won't. The DHS hockey boys are plugging along (working out together over the last 6 months 4 days a week). Following the "old" "MN model" of playing where you live/grew up. Working hard, together, in the old Denfeld "lunch box" gritty way has developed at least 3 kids who D1 schools are currently looking at. (Sorry, off topic but couldn't help myself).

My question is: if Marshall dropped their program, what do those kids do? (And I'm not saying that is going to happen). What does the state allow for kids to participate in a sport if their HS doesn't have a program? It does seem a bit unfair that a kid can't participate in a sport simply if a school doesn't have a program.

Technically the Marshall school falls in Denfeld enrollment territory so it's an interesting question.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:02 pm

My question is: if Marshall dropped their program, what do those kids do? (And I'm not saying that is going to happen). What does the state allow for kids to participate in a sport if their HS doesn't have a program? It does seem a bit unfair that a kid can't participate in a sport simply if a school doesn't have a program.

Technically the Marshall school falls in Denfeld enrollment territory so it's an interesting question.
[/quote]

If the school can't find a school willing to co-op, then transfer or move become your MSHSL option...

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm

nu2hockey wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:02 pm
If the school can't find a school willing to co-op, then transfer or move become your MSHSL option...
That is not my understanding of how it works. Schools pay a co-op "fee" to be part of a co-op. If the school has zero hockey players, they don't bother officially co-oping with another school and therefore don't have to pay a fee. They'll probably do this if they only have one or two players as well.

If the school decides not to co-op with anybody, then the those players are not required to change schools but effectively become "free agents" and can play with any school that will take them. I might be wrong about that, but that's my understanding.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:06 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm
nu2hockey wrote:
That is not my understanding of how it works. Schools pay a co-op "fee" to be part of a co-op. If the school has zero hockey players, they don't bother officially co-oping with another school and therefore don't have to pay a fee. They'll probably do this if they only have one or two players as well.

If the school decides not to co-op with anybody, then the those players are not required to change schools but effectively become "free agents" and can play with any school that will take them. I might be wrong about that, but that's my understanding.
No, nu2hockey is correct. The only exceptions are co-ops, online school, or By-Law 111.1.D(i), which deals with transferring and retaining eligibility at your previous school for one calendar year. You can't be enrolled at one school and play a sport for another without a co-op.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:06 pm
The Exiled One wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:

No, nu2hockey is correct. The only exceptions are co-ops, online school, or By-Law 111.1.D(i), which deals with transferring and retaining eligibility at your previous school for one calendar year. You can't be enrolled at one school and play a sport for another without a co-op.
I'll take your word on that. I guess I have a particular playing in mind and I think I might not have all the info.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 pm

The worst thing about this is that another Metro team may be assigned to 7AA. The most likely would be Blaine. They are already in Section 7 in some other sports.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Time for Hermantown to move up

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 pm
The worst thing about this is that another Metro team may be assigned to 7AA. The most likely would be Blaine. They are already in Section 7 in some other sports.
Blaine. Wow! That would be crazy!! Blaine hockey is pretty amazing!!! Let Hermantown stay in 7A. Blaine - come join the party =) Now of course, Blaine would only play Duluth East and Grand Rapids. Metro teams seem to not want to waste their time playing CEC?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:06 pm
The Exiled One wrote:

I'll take your word on that. I guess I have a particular playing in mind and I think I might not have all the info.
A good example would be Ben Ward, who was a junior with MAML when they made their tournament final run. Ward was from Annandale, and when that city was dropped from the co-op the following year, he was left without a high school program. There was discussion of Buffalo picking up Annandale (I believe Ward was their only player), but he ultimately opted to play for the Wilderness.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:35 pm

I know there is general disdain for private schools on the board, and I understand that sentiment at times, but I just wanted to add that I feel like the united concern and empathy everyone is showing for Marshall’s plight (and that of its players) is great. The idea of losing a program as historically significant as Marshall, dating back to the Cathedral days, is a loss for everyone who cares about Minnesota high school hockey.