Section 5A Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Section 5A Thread

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am

If 3A (Iowa) has a thread.....

It’s looking like quite a few teams could have a chance at the title this year.

It sounds like Pine City is very focused and know that this will be their last shot for quite a few years.

North Branch has some very high end talent and some new guys getting used to the varsity level. They might start to dominate if they start clicking together.

It seems like Monticello keeps games close with defense and goaltending, but are looking for an offensive spark.

Good to see St. Francis at a proper level. Maybe they can keep their players from turning Andover in to a powerhouse. Could they make a push this year?

The mhsl did wonders for these programs by taking SCC and Hermantown out of 5A... We now have 3 teams in the top 20 that would have lost all of their talent to other programs.. Great to see the parity!

Who do you see as the favorite?

elliott70

Re: Section 5A Thread

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:25 am

QRF at 1-6-2020
No. 13 Pine City Area (56.2)6-1-012-2-04.71.7Won 11
No. 22 Monticello (44.1)8-0-08-5-14.52.6Lost 1
No. 25 North Branch (43.1)6-1-011-3-05.42.1Won 2

No. 36 Mora/Milaca (38.8)3-2-010-5-04.22.9Lost 1
No. 37 St. Francis (38.3)3-4-05-7-03.64.0Lost 1
No. 49 Northern Lakes (32.4)4-3-06-6-14.23.5Won 1

No. 59 Princeton (27.0)3-5-04-7-13.83.6Won 2
No. 60 Chisago Lakes Area (26.8)3-4-04-7-02.64.0Won 1
No. 67 Sauk Rapids-Rice (21.9)1-5-02-9-01.55.3Lost 6

No. 68 Cambridge-Isanti (21.7)1-4-03-9-02.16.3Won 1
No. 77 Becker/Big Lake (14.5)1-6-01-10-02.26.3Lost 10
No. 80 Moose Lake Area (13.0)0-4-03-11-03.66.6Lost 2

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:00 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:25 am
QRF at 1-6-2020
No. 13 Pine City Area (56.2)6-1-012-2-04.71.7Won 11
No. 22 Monticello (44.1)8-0-08-5-14.52.6Lost 1
No. 25 North Branch (43.1)6-1-011-3-05.42.1Won 2

No. 36 Mora/Milaca (38.8)3-2-010-5-04.22.9Lost 1
No. 37 St. Francis (38.3)3-4-05-7-03.64.0Lost 1
No. 49 Northern Lakes (32.4)4-3-06-6-14.23.5Won 1

No. 59 Princeton (27.0)3-5-04-7-13.83.6Won 2
No. 60 Chisago Lakes Area (26.8)3-4-04-7-02.64.0Won 1
No. 67 Sauk Rapids-Rice (21.9)1-5-02-9-01.55.3Lost 6

No. 68 Cambridge-Isanti (21.7)1-4-03-9-02.16.3Won 1
No. 77 Becker/Big Lake (14.5)1-6-01-10-02.26.3Lost 10
No. 80 Moose Lake Area (13.0)0-4-03-11-03.66.6Lost 2
Thanks, but QRF is horrible.. St. Francis beat Mora 6-2 and would probably be worse if they played again.

Your rankings are much closer

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Princeton with a surprise 7-3 win over Pine City

North Branch make a showing again 6-3 over Gentry Academy

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Both statement games...did they let Croal play for NB?

Princeton was tough against Monticello on Tuesday.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 am

Duckguy13 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Looks like it, as he had 1-2-3 last night

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Princeton definitely deserved to win that game, but I think it refocuses the Dragons and will have them better prepared moving forward. The high scoring affairs isn't what has made them successful this season, and I believe it will help them realize where their strengths lie.

My rankings as of now

1. Monticello
2. Pine City Area
3. North Branch
4. St. Francis
5. Northern Lakes
6. Princeton
7. Chisago Lakes
8. Mora-Milaca
9. Sauk Rapids-Rice
10. Cambridge-Isanti
11. Becker-Big Lake
12. Moose Lake Area

Monticello seems to have the 1 seed in the bag already as long as they take care of business

I think Pine City still holds the edge over North Branch, because they have been a little bit more consistent throughout the year, but that can obviously change this upcoming Tuesday as they play one another. These 2 will more than likely be fighting for an additional home game come section time, so they need to play their best hockey from here on out

Seeds 4-8 will probably change week to week until the seeding meeting, it seems like every team involved has knocked at least one team, but then dropped another one to someone else. The picture will be clearer, the further we get into the season, but at least one team will lead the seeding meeting thinking they got the short end of the stick.

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:11 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm
Princeton with a surprise 7-3 win over Pine City

North Branch make a showing again 6-3 over Gentry Academy
Any additional info on Damon Furuseth's abuse of official penalty early in the first period?

Just looked at the box score and noticed it. Hard to lose a top forward for essentially the whole period, but if you get a penalty for abusing an official it is probably justified.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Not that NB isn't the better team....but how does Croal play in that game? Considering the previous..would certainly affect NB winning or losing, they loose and Gentry seems to have proven themselves. They win and it some how justifies NB and crushes Gentry because they haven't played anyone..

What a mess...anyone have insight? Sorry but misconduct are misconduct..once someone has one in a game they should at least be done for that game.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 am

1goalwonder wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 pm
Princeton definitely deserved to win that game, but I think it refocuses the Dragons and will have them better prepared moving forward. The high scoring affairs isn't what has made them successful this season, and I believe it will help them realize where their strengths lie.

My rankings as of now

1. Monticello
2. Pine City Area
3. North Branch
4. St. Francis
5. Northern Lakes
6. Princeton
7. Chisago Lakes
8. Mora-Milaca
9. Sauk Rapids-Rice
10. Cambridge-Isanti
11. Becker-Big Lake
12. Moose Lake Area

Monticello seems to have the 1 seed in the bag already as long as they take care of business

I think Pine City still holds the edge over North Branch, because they have been a little bit more consistent throughout the year, but that can obviously change this upcoming Tuesday as they play one another. These 2 will more than likely be fighting for an additional home game come section time, so they need to play their best hockey from here on out

Seeds 4-8 will probably change week to week until the seeding meeting, it seems like every team involved has knocked at least one team, but then dropped another one to someone else. The picture will be clearer, the further we get into the season, but at least one team will lead the seeding meeting thinking they got the short end of the stick.
Pine City winning 7-1 and then losing 3-7 to Princeton is tough to figure out... Were players out for these games?

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:27 am

Duckguy13 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 pm
Not that NB isn't the better team....but how does Croal play in that game? Considering the previous..would certainly affect NB winning or losing, they loose and Gentry seems to have proven themselves. They win and it some how justifies NB and crushes Gentry because they haven't played anyone..

What a mess...anyone have insight? Sorry but misconduct are misconduct..once someone has one in a game they should at least be done for that game.
It was a 10 minute unsportsmanlike conduct, not a game misconduct, so no, he shouldn’t have to be done for the next game.

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 am

Just a quick look at the box scores for the Pine City vs Princeton game makes it look like they were pretty much the same rosters. Pine City put up about the same number of shots in both games, but looks like they couldn't capitalize like they did at TRIA. I think it was a case of momentum for both games. Pine City jumped up on Princeton by 4 in the 1st game, and Princeton jumped out to an early 2 goal lead in the 2nd game. We seem to forget that these boys are only teenagers, and the emotions of the game can be more impactful than we like to admit or recognize. Princeton was very opportunistic and took advantage of the chances they were given. I will say Pine City's stingy D and goaltender definitely had an off game, but you have to give credit to Princeton for playing a solid game.

I think Pine City started to think that they were this high octane offensive team due to playing weaker teams, and forgot what allowed them to be successful in their 12 game win streak which was limiting scoring chances and playing a sound defensive game. For reference, Princeton scored 7 goals in 1 game, which is the same amount of goals that the Pine City starting goalie (missed the 1st game of Holiday tournament against Brookfield) gave up in the entire month of December. Pine City doesn't play the toughest schedule, but they did play teams like Princeton, Simley twice, St. Francis, and North Shore, so the games weren't exactly slam dunks either.

I think Pine City area will right the ship, but they will have another tough test tomorrow against everyone's preseason favorite to win the section in North Branch. Hopefully todays practice allows them to tighten things up, and are ready for what I'm sure will be one of the tougher games they play all year.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

1goalwonder wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 am
Just a quick look at the box scores for the Pine City vs Princeton game makes it look like they were pretty much the same rosters. Pine City put up about the same number of shots in both games, but looks like they couldn't capitalize like they did at TRIA. I think it was a case of momentum for both games. Pine City jumped up on Princeton by 4 in the 1st game, and Princeton jumped out to an early 2 goal lead in the 2nd game. We seem to forget that these boys are only teenagers, and the emotions of the game can be more impactful than we like to admit or recognize. Princeton was very opportunistic and took advantage of the chances they were given. I will say Pine City's stingy D and goaltender definitely had an off game, but you have to give credit to Princeton for playing a solid game.

I think Pine City started to think that they were this high octane offensive team due to playing weaker teams, and forgot what allowed them to be successful in their 12 game win streak which was limiting scoring chances and playing a sound defensive game. For reference, Princeton scored 7 goals in 1 game, which is the same amount of goals that the Pine City starting goalie (missed the 1st game of Holiday tournament against Brookfield) gave up in the entire month of December. Pine City doesn't play the toughest schedule, but they did play teams like Princeton, Simley twice, St. Francis, and North Shore, so the games weren't exactly slam dunks either.

I think Pine City area will right the ship, but they will have another tough test tomorrow against everyone's preseason favorite to win the section in North Branch. Hopefully todays practice allows them to tighten things up, and are ready for what I'm sure will be one of the tougher games they play all year.
Some great games the last 3-4 years at the PC Ice Box... hoping for another one tonight

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 am

After a couple of weeks the picture has gotten a little clearer, but there are still some fairly important matchups that need to take place before we can really define where people belong, but here is where I place teams as of right now.

1. Monticello- Undefeated in section play so no further explanation needed.

2. North Branch- Beat Pine City in their recent matchup, so I will give them the slight edge for now. Have a couple big games coming up against Monticello, Princeton, and Chisago Lakes. Have some solid wins outside the section by defeating Superior WI, Simley and Gentry Academy, but also dropped some games earlier this year against North Shore and Northern Lakes

3. Pine City Area- Have stumbled a little bit as of late, but seemed to have righted the ship outscoring opponent in their last three games 19-3. They have split there season series with both Princeton and Chisago, but still have a better goal differential than both of them those games (+2 against Princeton and +3 against Chisago Lakes). They also defeated both St. Francis and Northern Lakes by a combined score of 11-2, which means they have defeated everyone below them in the section, except for Cambridge, who they play next Monday. Have a couple solid wins over Simley and one over Mound Westonka to help solidify their standing.

4. Princeton- They rise to the top of the next tier in my mind with their recent play. They have beaten Pine City, Breck, and got revenge on Chisago Lakes from earlier this year. They also played inevitable top seed Monticello to a 1 goal game, and had Little Falls on the ropes until a 3rd period let down, so they have definitely been playing a lot better hockey than what their first half might have suggested. Big games against St. Francis, Monticello, and North Branch lie ahead, but I will slot them here for now.

5. Northern Lakes- Tough team to peg because they have beaten 2 teams (Princeton and North Branch) that are ahead of them, but have also dropped 2 games to 2 teams that I have below them (St. Francis and Sauk Rapids). I will tentatively put them here because of their ability to defeat teams above them, but could see them drop as low as 7 if the cards don't fall their way.

6. St. Francis- For the most part they have beaten everyone below them and have lost to everyone above them, except for Northern Lakes ( beat them 5-2 over the holidays). Have the possibility of moving up if they are able to beat both Princeton and Chisago Lakes in the next week, which would slot them in the 4-5 matchup, I would think.

7. Chisago Lakes- Yes they have beaten both Pine City and Princeton, albeit in overtime, but that is the peak of their success this year, and unfortunately for them came at a time where neither team was playing their best. Have bested North Shore and Proctor, which gave some other teams in this section have struggled with as well, but that only slightly bolsters their claim to a higher seed. With 2 big games left this year against St. Francis and North Branch, their fate hasn't been sealed yet, but they will definitely need to steal at least one game against either opponent to move up in the rankings in my mind.

8. Mora/Milaca- Have had a pretty solid year overall, and have beaten my current #4 Princeton, but unfortunately have failed to compete with every other team that is above them in the section that they have played, Monticello and Chisago Lakes not being on the schedule for them this year. Unfortunately for them the only game on their schedule that could affect their seeding is against Sauk Rapids, and if they end up dropping that game could see themselves potentiall going on the road for the 8-9 play-in game.

9. Sauk Rapids- Do not have a pretty record, but have beaten Northern Lakes this year as well as a decent win against below average Sartell team, which somewhat offsets the Becker/Big Lake Loss. I don't think they will be an easy out, but I don't think they have a possibility of getting to the Section Semis either. Have home ice on the line when they play Mora

10. Cambridge- Have beaten Becker/Big Lake in both matchups they have had this year, but were easily defeated by Sauk Rapids who is right ahead of them. 4 of their 5 remaining games are against section opponents, but I see all of those matchups going according to plan.

11. Becker/Big Lake- Just beat Sauk Rapids and have beaten Moose Lake, so they have definitely avoided the 12 seed, but don't see how they can argue being higher as Cambridge has beaten them in both games. They do play Cambridge one more time as well as Princeton, but think this 2 win team will end up being the 11 see.

12. Moose Lake- Have more wins than Becker/Big Lake but lost the head to head matchup to kickoff the year.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, at least one team will probably not like their seed leaving the seeding meeting, but the parity in this section will make for an exciting tournament at the end of February.

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Just like that my rankings yesterday go up in flames :lol:

Here is my revision FWIW

1. Monti
2. North Branch
3. Pine City
4. Princeton
5. Chisago Lakes
6. Northern Lakes
7. St. Francis
8. Mora
9. Sauk Rapids
10. Cambridge
11. Becker/Big Lake
12. Moose Lake

With Chisago Lakes beating both Pine City and North Branch in the past week they definitely have improved their claim to a higher seed and I have them slotted above Northern Lakes and St. Francis, which are two teams that they have lost to this season.

I also noticed that Turek hasn't played a game for North Branch since the matchup with St. Francis a week and a half ago, which is a little concerning for the Vikings, as he is definitely someone who can steal a game for you come playoff time. If he misses any extended time, North Branch could see their 2 seed slip through their fingers I would think.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Anyone know what is up with Turek? He is a solid goalie, and they have probably their biggest section game tonight w Monticello if they want to hold or have the #2 seed.

Hockey080

Post by Hockey080 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Anyone know what is up with Turek? He is a solid goalie, and they have probably their biggest section game tonight w Monticello if they want to hold or have the #2 seed.

Turek pulled his hamstring and is playing it safe so he dosent get hurt worse before sections and 6 players including turek and Croal were out against Monticello tonight. A lot of injuries lately which sucks since it’s getting close to sections. Turek should be back by there last game of the season. North Branch should be fully healthy come sections.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:29 pm

How do you think 2 thru 5 will play out for seeds this week?

Pine City
Princeton
N Branch
Chisago

??

1goalwonder

Post by 1goalwonder » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Here is how I think seedings will shake out right now, with remaining games for each squad. I have also added teams they have lost to on the year to help illustrate why I ranked them as such with total Losses in parenthesis

1. Monticello- @Princeton, @Buffalo
None so far

2. Pine City- @Duluth Denfeld, @Proctor
Monticello, North Branch, Princeton, Chisago Lakes (4)

3. North Branch- @Breck, @Mound Westonka
Monticello twice, Northern Lakes, Princeton, Chisago Lakes (5)

4. St. Francis- Chisago Lakes, Highland Park
Monticello twice, North Branch twice, Pine City, Princeton (6)

5. Northern Lakes- @Proctor, Sauk Rapids
Monticello, Pine City, St. Francis, Sauk Rapids (4)

6. Princeton- Monticello, @North Shore
Monticello, Pine City, North Branch, St. Francis, Northern Lakes, Chisago Lakes, Mora (7)

7. Chisago Lakes- @St. Francis, River Falls
Monticell twice, Pine City, North Branch, St. Francis, Northern Lakes, Princeton (7)

8. Mora- @Sauk Rapids, Ely
Pine City twice, St. Francis, Northern Lakes (4)- Did Not Play Monticello, North Branch, or Chisago Lakes

9. Sauk Rapids- Mora, @Northern Lakes
Monticello, Pine City, North Branch, Princeton, Chisago Lakes, Becker/Big Lake (6)

10. Cambridge- Becker/Big Lake, @Somerset
Monticello twice, Pine City, North Branch twice, St. Francis twice, Princeton twice, Chisago Lakes twice, Mora, Sauk Rapids (13)

11. Becker/Big Lake- @Cambridge, @Morris/Benson
Monticello, Pine City, North Branch twice, St. Francis twice, Northern Lakes, Princeton twice, Chisago Lakes twice, Mora, Cambridge twice (14)

12. Moose Lake- @Bagley
Zero Wins within the section

There are still plenty of games to be played yet this week that will have significant impact on how the seedings come out, so these are far from set in stone.

It is odd that I would move both Princeton and Chisago Lakes down after there recent success, but when you take the whole season into account their records are less than stellar. Princeton could definitely earn the right to be a top 4 seed with a win over Monticello, but that needs to happen before we can take it into consideration.

Northern Lakes also benefits from not playing any team more than once, and definitely made the most of their games within the section. They might need to right the loss they had earlier in the year to Sauk though to earn a spot in the 4-5 game

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:17 pm

It’s crazy to think that North Branch can still be a three seed after their putrid performance (albeit somewhat injury related) over the past few weeks, but when you lay things out like that it makes sense. You have to wonder whether the voting will take any recent momentum into consideration. Meeting up with Princeton or Chisago in the QF round as the #2 or 3 would be brutal.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm

I would think the last 2 weeks and how people are playing would play heavily. Even if NB has some or most back. I think I'd be more afraid of Princeton. They are hot and played Monticello toughest of all of them. Will see how tonight plays out..though the first game was early in the season.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 pm

It’s looking like NB should have all of their pieces together soon. The back up goalie coming straight from B(2?) bantams has done good and should be much better next year with this experience, but it’s tough having one of the best goalies in the state out. NB relies heavily on their first two forward lines and it’s a different team if 2 or 3 are out. Cottingham and the coaching staff will definitely have to skate them to get their wind back from being out, but I know Monti is not going to want them at a 4 and I think the overall head to head will have them at a 2.

NB will come out of 5A IMBO

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Monticello up 3-1 in second...

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Monticello wins 5-2

Princeton played tough and shots were pretty even.