Games Tuesday 1/21/2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Re: Games Tuesday 1/21/2020

Post by Stang5280 »

For those who care, here are some of my observations from the North Branch vs Pine City tilt.

Overall, it was a very competitive contest. I was pleasantly surprised by Pine City, as I was unsure how they would fare against a higher level of competition, and this was my first time seeing them this season. PC actually turned out to be the deeper team, often rolling three lines, and had a distinct advantage in offensive zone time. NB relied heavily on that potent top line, and was able to spring them free for numerous odd-man rushes.

NB can be chippy at times, and often their best players are the worst offenders. They were only whistled for three minors (two on Kerchner), but there should have been a few more calls, including a dangerous hit from behind by Croal. NB has a great PK unit (91.4%), but that won’t always fly against better teams, and PC converted one PP opportunity. Turek between the pipes does make up for many sins, however.

PC is not a great skating team, but is pretty physical and sound in handling the puck. Laven is a solid if unspectacular goalie, though he was hung out to dry a few times by his defense. I would like to check out their game with Mora tonight to see how PC stacks up against a lesser skilled opponent.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Stang5280 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pmFor those who care, here are some of my observations from the North Branch vs Pine City tilt.
Bravo. Great job shining a light on some of the other programs in the state.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:05 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pmFor those who care, here are some of my observations from the North Branch vs Pine City tilt.
Bravo. Great job shining a light on some of the other programs in the state.
My pleasure. I try to get eyes on as many Class A teams as I can as part of my rankings process. I was curious about Pine City since they had a gaudy record against a softer schedule, but they are definitely a challenger in perennially wacky 5A.
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

I'm impressed that someone else seems to want to hold Croal and NB to some kind of accountability....he should have been suspended after the Monticello game...loves to throw a punch every chance he gets.

Let's stop giving stars a free pass.

He is a great skill player but...

Thanks for listening #-o
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:55 pm North Branch 2, Pine City 1 after 1
Shots 16-8 Pine City
NB is definitely quicker and more skilled, but PC can play

Tied 3-3 after two

North Branch wins 5-3
Kerchner hat trick for Vikings