Games Friday 1-28-20

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Friday 1-28-20

Post by elliott70 »

Lake of the Woods vs East Grand Forks - East Grand Forks Civic Arena 5:30 PM CST
Bloomington Kennedy vs Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato - Litchfield Civic Arena 7:00 PM CST

Cambridge-Isanti vs North Branch - Chisago Lakes Arena 7:00 PM CST
Chisago Lakes vs Princeton - Princeton Ice Arena 7:00 PM CST

Delano vs Hutchinson - Burich Arena, Hutchinson 7:00 PM CST
Hibbing/Chisholm vs North Shore - Rukavina Arena 7:00 PM CST

Orono vs New Prague - New Prague Community Center 7:00 PM CST
Red Lake Falls vs Morris/Benson - Lee Community Center, Morris 7:00 PM CST

Redwood Valley vs Fairmont - Martin County Arena, Fairmont 7:00 PM CST
St. Paul Johnson vs Gentry Academy - Vadnais Sports Center 7:00 PM CST

Windom vs Dodge County - Dodge County Ice Arena 7:00 PM CST
Bagley/Fosston vs Ely - Ely, MN, USA - Ely Hockey Arena 7:00 PM CST

Wayzata vs Greenway - Hodgins Berado Arena 7:00 PM CST
Rochester Lourdes vs St. Cloud Cathedral - Municipal Athletic Complex, St. Cloud 7:15 PM CST

Sauk Rapids-Rice vs Sartell-St. Stephen - Bernick's Arena, Sartell 7:15 PM CST
Park Rapids vs Crookston - Crookston Sports Center 7:30 PM CST

St. Francis vs St. Paul Highland Park - Highland Ice Arena 7:30 PM CST
Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl vs International Falls - Bronco Arena 7:30 PM CST

Minnesota River vs Southwest Christian/Richfield - Chaska Community Center, Park Ridge Drive, Chaska, MN, USA 8:00 PM CST
elliott70

Re: Games Friday 1-28-20

Post by elliott70 »

Games of the Day

Delano vs Hutchinson - Burich Arena, Hutchinson 7:00 PM CST
St. Paul Johnson vs Gentry Academy - Vadnais Sports Center 7:00 PM CST

Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl vs International Falls - Bronco Arena 7:30 PM CST
Minnesota River vs Southwest Christian/Richfield - Chaska Community Center, Park Ridge Drive, Chaska, MN, USA 8:00 PM CST
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

SCC playing a winless Lourdes team, one of the worst in the state. Will Blake Perbix lead the state in scoring by the end of the night?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

TheNightman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:07 pm SCC playing a winless Lourdes team, one of the worst in the state. Will Blake Perbix lead the state in scoring by the end of the night?
What happened to Lourdes they were a Sectional Finals Team the last two years and were State Tournament mainstay not too long before that in Class A.... now 0-20 ... What happened?
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm Ugly Match-up! Glad to see SCC did some aggressive scheduling this winter :roll:
It’s a traditional rivalry, and with both teams essentially operating as independents I’m sure it was scheduled well in advance. No doubt the matchup will end if Lourdes remains down. Cathedral currently has the highest strength of schedule in Class A per PageStat, sitting ten spots ahead of Hermantown, so I think they’re doing fine.
ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm What happened to Lourdes they were a Sectional Finals Team the last two years and were State Tournament mainstay not too long before that in Class A.... now 0-20 ... What happened?
Lourdes graduated a huge senior class, 12 players I believe. Goldy313 is the authority on southeast Minnesota hockey, but from what I understand the Rochester youth system is a mess. One combined program feeding four schools, with the participation numbers being down and not even playing at the AA level.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:51 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm Ugly Match-up! Glad to see SCC did some aggressive scheduling this winter :roll:
It’s a traditional rivalry, and with both teams essentially operating as independents I’m sure it was scheduled well in advance. No doubt the matchup will end if Lourdes remains down. Cathedral currently has the highest strength of schedule in Class A per PageStat, sitting ten spots ahead of Hermantown, so I think they’re doing fine.
ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm What happened to Lourdes they were a Sectional Finals Team the last two years and were State Tournament mainstay not too long before that in Class A.... now 0-20 ... What happened?
Lourdes graduated a huge senior class, 12 players I believe. Goldy313 is the authority on southeast Minnesota hockey, but from what I understand the Rochester youth system is a mess. One combined program feeding four schools, with the participation numbers being down and not even playing at the AA level.
Isn’t ClassAGuy the rube who said that without Jack Smith, Cathedral is likely a top 10-15 team in Class A? I think he’s the same guy.

Not surprised to see such a dense comment about the strength of SCC’s schedule...
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 pm
knights58 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:54 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks Stang!

Wow with Smith out Cathedral becomes very normal. Will be a tough night up in Hermantown on Friday.

Bigger implications are that 6A is now WIDE OPEN Alexandria and Little Falls just became instant State Tournament Contenders not that they werent but this really evens out the field. What tough Blow for Cathedral losing a top-end talent like Smith kills their hopes of a repeat quest. Ohh well no one going to feel to sorry for a Private School.

Hermantown, Warroad, EGF ..... Seem to be the locked in Top 3

This news shakes up Class A and 6A in big way.

Any news on the Hagstrom Boy at Mahtomedi will he be back? If not Gentry might be able to give them a run in 4A.
do you know anything about SCC’s roster? Losing Smith is big..but saying this makes Alexandria and or Little Falls basically even? You either don’t like SCC or don’t know much about their roster. Even without Smith they have 2 D1 commits ( how many does Alex and little falls have?). On top of that they have 3 more that will play D 1 at some point...6 HS Elite players...How many for Alex or LF? with Smith out it went from 99% to 85% chance of winning 6A. Ends their chances at a repeat? Ummm okay🙄
Just one opinion. You don't lose a Jack Smith type talent and just simply be ok. SCC is still in my book a top 10-15 Class A Program without Smith this year. They do have great talent not taking away from those kids as all but come on losing Smith kills and the Depth takes a serious hit. Like I said Take away Biondi, Parker, Slukensky etc... Those programs would not be the same. Also, we saw last year when Warner went down it was not the same team until he was able to return.

I think you are not giving enough credit to Alexandria or Little Falls. Both are well-coached and why they may not have the high-end "Elite League" talent this year they will be a tough out. The Little Falls is young and pesky and getting better every game and they have a Goalie who is a stud and in a one and done playoff game losing a front line player like Smith kills also Alexandria has already proven to be a Giant Killer when they upset a more talented SCC and Hermantown Squad two years ago so their Seniors this year who were sophomores then know how to make a run.

Section 6A just got way more interesting with SCC losing Smith for the year. It's a huge blow and too bad for the kid gave up the USHL to play with his buddies and now it sounds like he will not get to chance to finish a very good high school career. Hate seeing that kind of stuff.

SCC is still a very good team but I am sorry without Smith that's a big blow. I wish you and your boys luck I am more bummed we don't get to see the full Cathedral Team anymore.

Again, one person's opinion but I know Little Falls and Alexandria just got some big news in their pursuit of a 2020 Section Title.
Yep. Same guy.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Warroad up on Greenway 2-1 into the second period. G-way just going on power play. They are being badly out shot but hanging in there thanks to Logan Wright in the nets.
Anyone going to H-Town & Hill Murray tomorrow? Be my first trip to old Aldrich. Should be a good one.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Lourdes was in the section final last year and did graduate a bunch. I don’t think they had a JV last year though so numbers was going to be an issue. This senior class isn’t as talented across the board as some previous classes; they won a 3A state football title in 2018 and only won 2 games this year I think. A bunch of their sports are hurting numbers wise.

They also lost some kids to Dodge County.

All four Rochester schools are struggling this year; John Marshall and Mayo are near the bottom of a bad Big Nine Conference, Lourdes hasn’t won a game yet, and Century beats up on bad teams but were put into running time by AHA and Hastings....the only top 40 competition they faced.

Lourdes has played SCC for number of years so it’s not like SCC was looking for a punching bag, it just worked out that way.

And just to further show the dumpster fire Rochester youth hockey has become......There are 61 girls AA programs, the 3 Rochester public schools are #,s 59, 60, & 61 in QRF. On the boys side there are 66 programs.....Mayo and John Marshall are #’s 61 and 64 respectively, two of the other teams in that range opt up; Duluth Marshall and Minnehaha. Century comes in at #37, still the bottom half.

This must be how people in Minneapolis and St. Paul must of felt in the late ‘80’s and ‘90’s.
Last edited by goldy313 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Final Warroad over Greenway 4-1. SOG 44-20.
Seamans for Wayzata got a game misconduct with 50 sec. left. Won't be playing against Grand Rapids tomorrow.